New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] How would you build a paladin-like character?

So, let's say you want to play a paladin, but you don't want to go through the underpowered Paladin class, at least, not for long. How would you build your character? What base classes would you begin with? What prestige classes would you take?
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: [3.5] How would you build a paladin-like character?

I'd just make a cleric and use feats to use a sword.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I built a Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor 1/Ordained Champion 3/Prestige Paladin 3/Knight of the Raven for a game next weekend.

I dunno how it's going to hold up, but I think it does the "paladin, but better" thing well (3 lost CL, but near-full BA, swift spells, ridiculous saves, conterspells and channeling).

...Or Crusader. That works too.
    Last edited by Pluto; 2010-03-08 at 02:51 AM. Reason: I dont spel gud

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Take a Cheater of Mystra. Take Otherworldly. Dump Divine Disciple. Rework Cleric as Cloistered Cleric. Keep the 10 levels of Dweomercheater. Add Prestige Paladin 1. Add XXXX 4 (I prefer Divine Oracle for this, since it gets you evasion in heavy armor and uncanny dodge), own face :D
    "I live apart from you
    But I know the things you do
    No angel can save you, how?
    You don't need a god, 'cause I'm here now."

5. - Top - End - #5

In what way is the paladin underpowered? It has full BAB, a limited ability to buff itself, divine grace rounds out saves, and with proficiency with all simple and martial weapons as well as all armor gives it a variety of combat options.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Just play a warblade who prays a lot and lives ethically. They can still work for a church and call themselves a paladin.
    Last edited by Lysander; 2010-03-08 at 02:48 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Cleric4/OrdainedChampion5 is pretty boss for the first 9 levels of life. NEARLY full BAB, Smitalicious, Turn Undead powering your class features on top of maybe Law Devotion, and you still cast spells ok. Past there, more cleric would be fine, or Knight of the Raven, or a couple levels of Prestige Pally to augement your spell list. I know you can pick up the spell Holy Sword from the Glory Domain, if thats imporant to you, and Glory is one of Herioneous' expanded domains.

Alternatively, a more arcane focused holy man might pursue the Sorcadin route. Pal2/Sorc4/Spellsword1/AbjChamp5/SacEx8 is the default build. 16/20 BAB, 18/20 Sorc casting, and more Cha synergy than you can shake a greatsword at. Try it, I'm sure you'll like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorcadin. Comes into its own sometime in the middle of Abjurant Champion.

Paladin 2/Sorc 4/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Sacred Exorcist X

Gets Cha to all saves, can get it to damage and AC too, if you want it. With 16 BAB and 9th level casting @ L20, you should be good to go, after ~L10 or so.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
    I built a Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor 1/Ordained Champion 3/Prestige Paladin 3/Knight of the Raven for a game next weekend.
    Prestige Paladin from Unearthed?
    What book the Knight of the Raven come from?

Quote Originally Posted by CollinPhillips View Post
    In what way is the paladin underpowered? It has full BAB, a limited ability to buff itself, divine grace rounds out saves, and with proficiency with all simple and martial weapons as well as all armor gives it a variety of combat options.
    Well, it seems that a lot of people here consider this is a low-tier 5 class.
    We must admit that the Paladin don't gain much after this 5th level.
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2010-03-10 at 08:24 AM.

Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".

10. - Top - End - #10

Cleric => Fist of Raziel (BoED) and Paladin => Divine Crusader (CD) can work pretty well too.

And I've seen a few people toss around a build I really liked:

Paladin 4/Sanctified Mind 1 (LoM)/Warmind 5 (EPH)/Sanctified Mind 5/Psychic Weapons Master 5

With Serenity, it winds up with Smites, Powers, Saves and AoO's all tuned to Wisdom.

It also gets all the goodies from Sanctified Mind and Warmind, including Sweeping strikes and 10 levels of Psychic Warrior manifesting.
    Last edited by Pluto; 2010-03-08 at 03:27 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Prestige Paladin from Unearthed?
    Right
    What book the Knight of the Raven come from?
    Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.
    It gives the GlorySun Domain, 9/10 CL, full BA, Turning, Smite Undead and it makes 5-ft steps provoke AoO's.

Fist of Raziel is less obscure and about as good.
    Well, it seems that a lot of people here consider this is a low-tier 5 class.
    That doesn't mean it's not possible for a Paladin player to have fun.

In most games I've played (usually levels 1-7), the Paladin is pretty incredible:
    Good saves, AC and HP make it nigh-indestructible (except v. Wizards).
    BA and weapon damage are all that really matter at low levels and PA+lance+Spirited Charge lets the Paladin produce high damage until pretty far along in his career.
    Social skills and high charisma give the Paladin the spotlight fairly often.

It's only high-optimization games played at high levels that really make the Pally look bad.
    (Which I heard the one-shot we're running next week is going to be. Normally, I use a Paladin straight out of the can.)
    Last edited by Pluto; 2010-03-08 at 03:26 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Crusader. If you're hurting for saves, Pal2/Crusader x
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

That doesn't mean it's not possible for a Paladin player to have fun. In most games I've played (usually levels 1-7), the Paladin was pretty incredible: good saves, AC and HP make it nigh-indestructible (unless you strictly fight Wizards, anyway). BA and weapon damage are significant at low levels and PA+lance+Spirited Charge lets the Paladin keep doing high damage. Social skills and high charisma give the Paladin the spotlight fairly often.

It's only high-optimization games played at high levels that really make the Pally look bad.
    (Which I heard the one-shot we're running next week is going to be. Normally, I use a Paladin straight out of the can.)
    Below lvl 6-7, i would not really bother indeed. At 1st level, the fighter and the pally are probably the most powerful classes. I'm afraid to play at high lvl with CoDzilla and wizard and feel totally useless.
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2010-03-08 at 03:29 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Once you pass the first few levels you basically stop getting anything.
    Monk sucks, but you know, it's not actually worth negative LA.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Sorcadin.

Gets Cha to all saves, can get it to damage and AC too, if you want it. With 16 BAB and 9th level casting @ L20, you should be good to go, after ~L10 or so.
    That seems very good, but how do you manage for the armour?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Most of the Paladin character is roleplay. I suggest a Crusader with Stone Power starting off, coupled with the Martial Spirit stance to allow for some solid tanking. A fun trick to keep in mind is that while you need to move 10ft to charge, you enter your opponent's square to bull rush, so you can use Charging Minotaur on any foe that isn't adjacent if you need to beat tough ACs.

For the long term... It depends on what sort of "paladin" you want to play. If you want a tank, my limited resources point toward Agile Shield Fighter, Shield Charge, and Improved Trip. Your DM would have to be an idiot to allow those last two to give you infinite attacks, but if you can find a way to get a full attack on a charge, you have a solid shot at tearing most opponents apart in the opening attack.

1: Stone Power
    Human: Improved Shield Bash
    Flaw: Shield Focus (Heavy)
    Flaw: Agile Shield Fighter
    3: Shield Charge
    6: Improved Trip (if your DM allows you to retrain Stone Power to Combat Expertise)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Spellsword1 gives -10% ASF, which would allow you to wear a suit of Mithril Chain Shirt at not penalty. Otherwise you just go unarmored, nab Arcane Preperation, and use Greater Luminous Armor for your armor. Its Abjuration, so Abjurant Champion's bonus would apply to it. Also, you have Shield, which gives +9 AC as a swift aciton, so that should be up nearly every combat by mid levels.

Or you could do both. Armor is a nice place to pick up bonuses like Freedom or Soulfire cheaply, and nothing would stop you from having a Chain Shirt and G Luminous Armor on at the same time. You'd only get the best on that applies at the moment, but thats gives you a 2 layered defenese in case you get dispelled or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

its complete lack of good features past level 5?

And before somebody says spellcasting, at level 5 the Paladin can Multiclass to Sorceror or wizard and in the case of wizard have 8th level spells by level 20 or in the case of Sorceror (the more likely one due to stat synergy) 7th level spells.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Crusader

or

Crusader/Warblade

or

Cleric

or

Crusader/Cleric/Ruby Knight Vindicator
    Last edited by HunterOfJello; 2010-03-08 at 04:57 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

There's elegance in simplicity. Cleric 4/fighter 1/Pr Paladin 2/divine caster PrC X. Most of the goodies of being a 5th level paladin in 2 levels, 3 if you count the fighter level.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Just what is a "paladin", conceptually? Is it a holy warrior who wields divine power as a sword and shield, metaphorically speaking?
    Last edited by Devils_Advocate; 2010-03-08 at 08:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Crusader 20 would get you there. Fighter 2/Crusader 18 might be even better.

Cloistered Cleric 7/PrC Paladin 2/Sacred Exorcist 10/Contemplative 1 would work quite well too, if you use DMM:Persist to keep Divine Power up. You could use Church Inquisitor levels in there too if you like. Knowledge Devotion and Holy Mount would be great... with Holy Mount, you get all the Paladin's class features with that build plus so much more (sometimes you use spells to simulate their spell likes, of course).

JaronK

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

Psychic Warrior 20 actually works pretty well if you call your psionic powers "Divine Inspiration".

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

So, let's say you want to play a paladin, but you don't want to go through the underpowered Paladin class, at least, not for long. How would you build your character? What base classes would you begin with? What prestige classes would you take?
    Be a Clericzilla.

Being a more powerful meleer than a melee class is one of the big things the C-zilla does.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Below lvl 6-7, i would not really bother indeed. At 1st level, the fighter and the pally are probably the most powerful classes. I'm afraid to play at high lvl with CoDzilla and wizard and feel totally useless.
    Actually, at first level Druid, Crusader and Warblade are probably most powerful. The druid's riding dog is likely to beat a first level paladin.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground

You can use Initiate of Milil and the Harmonious Knight sub levels to qualify for Sublime Chord using Suel Arcanamach casting, and then go Abjurant Champion. You just barely get 9th level spells and your BAB suffers a little bit, but you'll be a competent gish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Crusader, definitely. If I were to multiclass with Paladin, I'd take OneWinged4ngel's paladin.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I have read the classes' descriptions, and i feel there is a problem.
    You cannot qualify for Church Inquisitor before lvl 5 (skill required), Ordained Champion lvl 4 (skill) and Prestige Paladin lvl 4 (BAB). I haven't access to Knight of the Raven, can you qualify for it after only 3 lvl of Cleric?

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Sorcadin.
    Is it possible to use the "Versatile Spellcaster" feat to qualify earlier as Spellsword with Pal 4/ Sor 1?

Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    Cloistered Cleric 7/PrC Paladin 2/Sacred Exorcist 10/Contemplative 1 would work quite well too, if you use DMM:Persist to keep Divine Power up. You could use Church Inquisitor levels in there too if you like. Knowledge Devotion and Holy Mount
    What is DMM: persist? Knowledge devotion is a spell?

Can you remind me where i can find the Cloistered Cleric ACF?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnaeus View Post
    Actually, at first level Druid, Crusader and Warblade are probably most powerful. The druid's riding dog is likely to beat a first level paladin.
    I must confess i've never paid attention to the riding dog. And i really got to get ToB apparently.

Has anyone tried to build something with the Favoured Soul class?
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2010-03-08 at 08:39 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

What is DMM: persist? Knowledge devotion is a spell?
    DMM stands for Divine Metamagic, a feat in Complete Divine that lets you spend turning attempts to fuel metamagic instead of raising the spell level or casting time (for prepared and spontaneous casters respectively). DMM is especially useful if your turning is not very powerful (e.g. you have levels in a PrC that does not advance turning, e.g. Sacred Fist.)

Knowledge Devotion is a feat from Complete Champion. It lets you use a Knowledge check against a certain type of creature to gain an insight bonus on attack and damage vs. that creature. (For example, Know [Religion] gives you a bonus vs. Undead.) The higher the check, the bigger the bonus, thus this move synergizes extremely well with Cloistered Cleric. This is especially useful because insight bonuses are hard to come by.

Can you remind me where i can find the Cloistered Cleric ACF?
    Here
    Last edited by Optimystik; 2010-03-08 at 08:48 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Cleric 4/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/Fist of Raziel 5 does most of what I would want a Paladin to do, better than a Paladin does. DMM Persist through Nightsticks and better spellcasting. Death Domain and Avenging Strike are what I might consider for non-obvious feats.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show