New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Halp!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Halp!

Sup, all

Tonight I rolled my stats for a newcoming character (ninth level, btw) ...aaand, what i got was:

15, 15, 8, 16, 14, 9

which is not so bad, after all, if it wasn't for those two -1s.

So. I was thinking abount going Beguiler, here, but I'm now open to suggestions. Those stats really seem to kill any hope to optimize him. Perhaps a mere Enchanter could do? What would you choose, apart from the evergreen, balanced, and unsurpassable Monk, of course?

Any opinion would be welcome

2. - Top - End - #2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Halp!

A beguiler could still work. Strength is easily dumpable, and you can probably afford to live without either Wisdom (if you don't mind being less good at scouting) or Charisma (if you don't mind being a less good party face).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the Riddler View Post
    Sup, all
    15, 15, 8, 16, 14, 9
    What sources are allowed?

Beguiler could work since, as mentioned above, it really only requires 3 good stats. The bigger question is what do you want to play? Skill Monkey (Rogue)? Arcanist (Wizard)? Melee/Divine (Cleric or Druid)? Beguiler is sort of a Skill Monkey Arcanist hybrid in this case.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Having too -1 stats does kinda suck, but it hardly makes optimization impossible. Even the MADness of monk only requires four abilities (specifically, str, con, dex, wis; roughly in that order.) With that comment out of the way, play what you wanna play, and have fun with it. I've heard that beguiler can be all kinds of amusing.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sup, all

Tonight I rolled my stats for a newcoming character (ninth level, btw) ...aaand, what i got was:

15, 15, 8, 16, 14, 9
    STR 8 DEX 15 CON 14 INT 16 WIS 9 CHA 15.

Looks like a perfectly serviceable Spellwarp Sniper (Complete Scoundrel) to me. Rogue 1/Wiz 5/Spellwarp Sniper 5/Arcane Trickster 9. Bump INT every time. Season to taste.

EDIT: 1 + 5 + 5 + 10 = 20...wait, what?
    Last edited by Amphetryon; 2010-03-10 at 11:45 PM.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

15, 15, 8, 16, 14, 9

Are you kidding me? Holy cow players are so finicky. Those are great stats!

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

8. - Top - End - #8

Amphetryon, in the end I decided to go exactly for that choice of stats :) though I don't know about the Spellwarp Sniper, I'm going to get a look at it right now :)

Crow, I am fnicky :D No, well, let's just say I could have gone for a 10 instead of that nine, that's all :P

As for JeminiZero's question, I usually go for Skill Monkey all the way, being a huge rogue/bard fan. I don't mind having some spellcasting ability too and, since this new character will pretty much have to be evil, Beguiler seemed like a good twist towards some "evil bard-like class"

of course, I could just go for a multiclass fighter/rogue/sorcerer who spe- ...no, wait.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Are you kidding me? Holy cow players are so finicky. Those are great stats!
    Seriously. If there's no 18, it's unplayable!!! Bah. You can get 9th level spells. Stop complaining.

Sup, all

15, 15, 8, 16, 14, 9

So. I was thinking abount going Beguiler, here, but I'm now open to suggestions. Those stats really seem to kill any hope to optimize him. Perhaps a mere Enchanter could do? What would you choose, apart from the evergreen, balanced, and unsurpassable Monk, of course?

Any opinion would be welcome
    str 9
    con 15
    dex 15
    int 16
    wis 8
    cha 14

Then go with middle aged & put your level 4 ability point in int for

str 8
    con 14
    dex 14
    int 18
    wis 9
    cha 15

Perfectly serviceable.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Note that Str 9 gets you better carrying capacity than Str 8, while Wis 9 gets you jack all that Wis 8 doesn't give you. Strength is special like that. This is a very minor consideration, but I thought it bore mentioning.

Those stats really seem to kill any hope to optimize him.
    Man, what? I realize that you effectively don't really have any better than a 16 14 14 14 8 8 array, but that's a perfectly good use of a 28 point buy for plenty of builds, so what's your problem? There's nothing unplayable about two dump stats but four good stats.

Also, "optimize" means doing the best one can with what's available. You can optimize anything. It seems like you're using the word as a synonym for "overpower". In which case you're still wrong.

Now, you may personally dislike your character being numerically inferior to an average Commoner at anything, but that's a different issue entirely. Personally, I'd feel quite comfortable dumping both Str and Wis for a Beguiler, especially gnome Beguiler. I'd certainly rather have that 9 and 14 than a 10 and a 13, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    Note that Str 9 gets you better carrying capacity than Str 8, while Wis 9 gets you jack all that Wis 8 doesn't give you. Strength is special like that. This is a very minor consideration, but I thought it bore mentioning.
    True.
    I would hesitate dumping wisdom, because arcane disciple can add some great spells to your list.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    Man, what? I realize that you effectively don't really have any better than a 16 14 14 14 8 8 array, but that's a perfectly good use of a 28 point buy for plenty of builds, so what's your problem? There's nothing unplayable about two dump stats but four good stats.

Well, that was mainly because, being the Beguiler's spells of the save-or-die kind, I would have hoped to have at least int mexed out for better enchantments :P but that's not really a big issue, the DCs can still be raised through feats or prestige classes (like Shadow Adept, if I'm not wrong)..so yeah, it's not that bad after all :)