New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [3.5/Pathfinder] Why is Quickdraw only usable with weapons?

This is one of my pet peeves with 3.0 onward, only finally fixed in 4e when you can finally quick draw and object that is readily available.

I've just never understood why it the feat was so restrictive in only focusing on weapons, making it only useful in very specialized builds rather than a good general feat that would be helpful to anyone.

I guess what irks me is that I don't understand the intent behind the design of the feat, and why it stayed that way in 3.5 and then in Pathfinder.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: [3.5/Pathfinder] Why is Quickdraw only usable with weapons?

Because weapons are specifically designed to be readily available and easily fetched, whereas other objects tend not to be created with this utility in mind?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JaronK
    Why on earth would there be superstition in a world where you can just ask the gods stuff? "Hey, I hear throwing salt over your shoulder prevents bad luck." "Oh yeah? I'll ask the god of luck, brb."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    Hey, it could be worse. It could be monks. One day, someone will start a thread titled "4E monks, more morally justified than 3.5 wizards!", and the world will end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq
    Now, of course, what is a ninja? (A miserable little pile of shuriken!)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The counterpoint to that is, why would you need a feat to get at your weapon, if they're designed to be easily accessible?

i always houseruled that anything you had to draw as a move-equivalent action was Quickdrawable, so it wasn't a problem.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Because training to swiftly draw a weapon is a very different thing from training to swiftly draw any other mundane object?

I think the feat's implementation is pretty lame, anyway. The 4e incarnation makes a lot more sense.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JaronK
    Why on earth would there be superstition in a world where you can just ask the gods stuff? "Hey, I hear throwing salt over your shoulder prevents bad luck." "Oh yeah? I'll ask the god of luck, brb."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    Hey, it could be worse. It could be monks. One day, someone will start a thread titled "4E monks, more morally justified than 3.5 wizards!", and the world will end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq
    Now, of course, what is a ninja? (A miserable little pile of shuriken!)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

The bigger issue I have is that you can't Quick Sheathe, even with Quick Draw. How can I abuse Iaijutsu Focus if I can't pull and put away my sword 4 times in 6 seconds?
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Anything can be an improvised weapon, thus anything can be quick drawen (drew?).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Anything can be an improvised weapon, thus anything can be quick drawen (drew?).
    If anything is an improvised weapon, would a sword count as an improvised weapon.
    Not that this is on-topic or anything.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Touchy View Post
    If anything is an improvised weapon, would a sword count as an improvised weapon.
    Not that this is on-topic or anything.
    It could be if you were holding the blade or smashing with the pommel. Note that under the majority of circumstances, this is less than optimal compared to just hitting with it.
    Last edited by Kylarra; 2010-03-14 at 03:24 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    It could be if you were holding the blade or smashing with the pommel. Note that under the majority of circumstances, this is less than optimal compared to just hitting with it.
    That would be a cool interpretation of Cleave - cut someone down with your blade, then turn and smash the guy next to him in the face with your pommel.
    Some things I do that you might enjoy:
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software
    Latest: Kingdom Builder Generator Pack II

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    I actually use this to expand the use I allow, as a DM, of quickdraw
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I guess I can see the legalistic loopdiloop being done by RAW to get it so you can pull out any object. I guess it's just an unfortunate move that needs to be made, when the wording could have simply been "object" rather than "weapon" originally, or in one of the revisions.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

It's not only usable with weapons. The draw action may specifically be used with weapon-like objects, with wands being given as the specific example.

As for anything without a handle, I just can't imagine a cowbow doing it in an instant so I don't think a PC could either. But maybe if you tied sticks to your alchemist fires and so on.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    The bigger issue I have is that you can't Quick Sheathe, even with Quick Draw. How can I abuse Iaijutsu Focus if I can't pull and put away my sword 4 times in 6 seconds?
    Doubtlessly that is a rhetorical question, but I'll bite: Gnomish Quickrazor.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    As for anything without a handle, I just can't imagine a cowbow doing it in an instant so I don't think a PC could either. But maybe if you tied sticks to your alchemist fires and so on.
    If I can quickdraw multiple greatswords for a full attack with thrown weapons (throw anything feat) then I think alchemist fires shouldn't be too much of a problem.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Are chickens quick-drawable? Do they count as weapon-like?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Are chickens quick-drawable? Do they count as weapon-like?
    Hen-grenades.

They're even splash-weapons, if you throw hard enough.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Well, um... Signature?

Anyhow, that probably explains some reasoning (likely not the reasoning) behind the feat design: things that let you do things as free actions can possibly lead to very shady rules interpretations and abuse of said interpretations. And pretty soon we'll slide into "Fighters can't have nice things" territory from there.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

18. - Top - End - #18

Who needs to draw weapons anyways? All the cool people replace them with their hands every morning.
    Last edited by PlzBreakMyCmpAn; 2010-03-14 at 07:55 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"Drawing a weapon so that you can use it in combat, or putting it away so that you have a free hand, requires a move action. This action also applies to weapon-like objects carried in easy reach, such as wands. If your weapon or weapon-like object is stored in a pack or otherwise out of easy reach, treat this action as retrieving a stored item."

Pulling out an easily accessible item, be it a weapon or not, is normally a move action. The Quick Draw feat changes this act to a free action. Yes, the feat description says "draw a weapon", but drawing out something else falls under the "Draw or Sheathe a Weapon" action. Yes, this could have been made more clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.