New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Archery Enchantments

What are the best weapon enhancements for a bow? I was tempted to use brilliant energy as I never had before, but as always I nagged myself that it just isn't worth a +4. So what is better?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Archery Enchantments

Splitting, from champions of ruin.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Elvencraft isn't an enchantment, but is very nifty.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

what is elvencraft in? Races of destiny?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    what is elvencraft in? Races of destiny?
    races of the wild. Your Longbow is a quarterstaff too, now.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Splitting, from champions of ruin.
    second that! the best there is! pricy though...
    Ellery: "We will not be caught by surprise."
    Entreri: "Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words."
    Jarlaxle: "Then I am glad once again that you are on my side."
    Entreri: "They've often said that too."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Force [MiC], Splitting [CoR], Seeking [DMG], Collision [SRD/MiC], Holy [DMG], etc. Basically, it's generally worthwhile to ignore DR, miss chances and such (those tend to crop up at range, especially), and then just focus on upping the damage, starting with Splitting which is completely sick.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I'm a fan of Psychokinetic. Force damage for only a +1 cost is nice.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

make sure you get the right classes and PrCs... you can end up with a 3000 foot range. As you well know, long range spells are 400 feet + 40ft per CL. that means an enemy caster can only hit you if he has CL of 65 and is using a long ranged spell.
    He could teleport to you, but he can't tell WHERE you are at because he can't spot you at this distance, he likely can't use magic to locate you (out of range :P) and there are tricks where your shots seem to come from different directions so they can't just "guess"...

plus, items of teleport are typically 3/day which means you can just run away a few times... they likely don't have enough uses per day of teleport to keep up.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    make sure you get the right classes and PrCs... you can end up with a 3000 foot range.
    I laugh at your 3000' range and one-up you with 30000'. Every size increase gives you a multiplier of 1.25 on your range increment, you get to start with 130' on a Composite Greatbow and then we get crackin'. Dragonbone up to 150', Ranged Weapon Mastery for 170', Deepwood Sniper up to 270', Far Shot to up to 405', Cragtop Archer to shoot up to 15 increments and Colossal to multiply it by 1.25 4 times for ~14831'. Hell, we could use Flight Arrows for 25' more and Distance weapon for doubling all that. So ~32400'.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

11. - Top - End - #11

Splitting is +3, and is hands down the best possible enchantment. It doubles all of your arrows fired.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I laugh at your 3000' range and one-up you with 30000'. Every size increase gives you a multiplier of 1.25 on your range increment, you get to start with 130' on a Composite Greatbow and then we get crackin'. Dragonbone up to 150', Ranged Weapon Mastery for 170', Deepwood Sniper up to 270', Far Shot to up to 405', Cragtop Archer to shoot up to 15 increments and Colossal to multiply it by 1.25 4 times for ~14831'. Hell, we could use Flight Arrows for 25' more and Distance weapon for doubling all that. So ~32400'.
    I am so picturing a two-man-team of

1) A ballistic archer
    2) A spellcaster with Scry. "Aim 2 more degrees to the south! Fire!"
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I'd like to as a related question: What spells that effect archery are recommended?
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

True Strike is always nice, although it only affects a single attack roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

I like Arrowmind from the SpC, lets you shoot arrows while in melee without provoking AoO.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

im gonan have to agree with the person that mentioned collision its one of the best enchants i've found with a bow.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Hunter's Mercy makes your next shot crit automatically. Since your arrows are at least x3 on a crit, that is extremely hoss in a variety of situations.

Arrow of bone needs to be made for you by a friendly arcane caster, but it basically gives you the arcane archer's capstone death arrow at a cost of a few gp. Repeatedly. Depending on interpretation, your DM might interpret arrow of bone as a weaponlike spell, since it needs to be fired at the target and requires an attack roll, which would mean that the negative energy damage a target takes on a successful save could be multiplied on a crit. This would synergize very effectively with hunter's mercy.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    I'd like to as a related question: What spells that effect archery are recommended?
    There's a list of archery spells in Champions of Ruin (same source as Splitting) that are awesomely hilarious. My favorite is arrowsplit, which turns one shot into lots of shots. They're all swift actions too, so you can swift cast one and then just open up.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Once you hit epic you can grab a feat and hit infinity. As long as you can see it you can shoot it. Now all we need is one of those cheesy tricks to get nigh infinite damage and you can take out the moon. Combine with a spelljammer and we got deathstar.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    races of the wild. Your Longbow is a quarterstaff too, now.
    I prefer the Yuan-Ti Serpent Bow. More obscure, more powerful on a Warblade, and doesn't have that "Elf" problem the Elvencraft Bow has.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    I prefer the Yuan-Ti Serpent Bow. More obscure, more powerful on a Warblade, and doesn't have that "Elf" problem the Elvencraft Bow has.
    I have two players with these weapons. One took the Yuan-ti one, and I've to admit that I like ti more. Because of blades, and because of yuan-ti.

The other one is an elf, so..

Actually, he did a smart thing: he looked for Coldwood for the construction of the Bow, so without many gold you can smash the head of a demon or a fey, or a bodak (maybe).
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Assuming you can cast hunter's mercy, prismatic burst and coup de grace.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Enchantments of arrow are true benefit of archery: u can get more nice abilities than a sword of same enchantment. As i know, if you fire a flaming arrow from +3 longbow they stack. OK its only one shot but you can get a bonus to your shot so archers get more variety of abilities through his weapon than a melee type even at lower levels.

Great spells:
    From PH: Magic weapon and greater magic weapon, true strike,Cats grace(PH),
    PH2: Blade of blood,
    Complete Adventurer: Sonic Weapon ,Arrowmind, Hawkeye, Guided shot, Arrow Storm,Critical Strike
    Savage Species: Weapon of energy, Girallon blessing, Fuse arms

And there are lots of spells that enchant sneak attack or add attack bonus
    I am willing and able to evaluate and critique homebrew material. PM me a link if you want an evaluation or a critique. If this applies to you too, put this in your sig.