New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowie Knives?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Bowie Knives?

What is a good ruling on bowie knives? Should they simply be masterwork daggers? or something else...?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Bowie Knives?

Note for everyone, 3.5
    We are both players in the same campaign.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I'm pretty sure they're closer to a kukri.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

noob question.

What is a bowie knive?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

its just a dagger nothing more nothing less.
    I don't think it should be inherently masterwork
    Last edited by awa; 2010-03-20 at 11:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is a Bowie Knife.
    Last edited by Book Wyrm; 2010-03-20 at 11:06 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

That's not a knife, this is a knife!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    That's not a knife, that's is a knife!
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

Wow, I sure would look silly if that correction was itself incorrect.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd rule them as regular daggers.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Baerdog: super genius.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would actually rule them as short swords. On principle of being that BA.
    Originally Posted by gdiddy
    There can be no resurrection of 3.5. But the SRD is the phylactery of 3.5 and it's kind of eternal for that.

Legacy of the Immortals Campaign Setting Any feedback, help or ideas you have are greatly appreciated.
    My Campaign Log (Apologize for Walls of Text)
    My House Rules
    My take on the Druid
    Prime20. Where Rule of Cool rules Alternatively, come to the new and improved Prime20 Thread!
    The wiki for Prime20

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xzeno View Post
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

Wow, I sure would look silly if that correction was itself incorrect.
    ...yeah...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

After discussing with my DM we figure it would probably be a Masterwork Kukri. A shame there is no such thing as a D5 otherwise that could have rolled damage the critcal seems acurate since a bowie is a curved blade... so after reading what you guys wrote and speaking with my DM we decided on a masterwork Kukri

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

One of the big moves from AD&D to 3.X was a simplification of the combat system, and that meant a rather finite number of weapon niches. Arms and Equipment guide (3.0) went so far as to state that a Zweihander is a Claymore is a Nodachi is a greatsword. Just one of the sad facts of life.

There is nothing stopping you from calling a bowie knife a dagger or a short sword. For that matter, there is nothinbg stopping you from calling an Antimatter Pistol a composite shortbow, or Vice Verci. You can mess with names all the live long day and still not change the mechanics of the game.

That said, is a bowie knife easier to conceal than other weapons? Can it be thrown? Should anyone and their mother be able to use one? If so, than it should be a dagger.

It shouldn't be a short sword though. Look up the gladius on wikipedia. Now that's a short sword. (Or more accurately is a MW short sword in DnD and is thus a good example of what a short sword should look and feel like).
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Bowie Knives would be daggers. Larger specimens would be short swords.

Lots of people think daggers are basically double-edged steak knives. They're not. They're closer to large hunting knives.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Because a bowie knife can vary so much in size and shape, it really could be either a dagger or a short sword, a kukri on the other hand is a very specific weapon. A bowie knife is any medium-largish knife with a fixed blade and a clip point. A kukri is a fixed blade of a short-medium length with characteristically forward sweeping blade, with a drop point. Two wildly different animals IMHO.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Because a bowie knife can vary so much in size and shape, it really could be either a dagger or a short sword, a kukri on the other hand is a very specific weapon. A bowie knife is any medium-largish knife with a fixed blade and a clip point. A kukri is a fixed blade of a short-medium length with characteristically forward sweeping blade, with a drop point. Two wildly different animals IMHO.
    Kukris are also wielded more like hatchets than daggers/swords, including being used for many other things like wood-chopping.

I'd say a dagger or short sword. Or just houserule something in line with similar weapons - say a 1d4/x3 light weapon, that can be used slashing or piercing.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Well it appears to me that your average bowie knife would be like the difference between a Dagger and a Shortsword.

Thus, a bowie knife would be most like the Bastard Sword of daggers and short swords so to speak. This is a much bigger blade but not too much bigger and definitely looks like it would crit easy.

Maybe 1d4 18-20/x3 or 1d4 18-20/x4 ?

So far by reading this thread a good 50% of people determine it as a Short Sword and another good amount say its just a dagger. at any rate I see the Bowie would be the in between the two (the dagger and the short sword). It is a shame D5's don't exist otherwise I would have just said a bowie was a d5 with the x3 crit and 18-20.

I guess you could throw a bowie if you wanted doesn't seem like something you could throw however and is fairly concealable

Well thats just saying stuff I could see by looking at a bowie knife by first glance...

Upon research a bowie knife is defined as : A Bowie knife is a style of fixed-blade knife first popularized by Colonel James "Jim" Bowie in the early 19th Century. It was first made by James Black, although its common use refers to any large sheath knife with a clip point.

as taken from wikipedia which despite what people say about wiki is probably right. So over all its a knife either way, however it does have 1 feature that stand out: Clip Point.

According to wikipedia: The clip point style allows a quicker, and thus deeper, puncture upon insertion (clip point knives being thinner at the spine).

Okay so it is faster and allows for deeper puncture. Question is how do we interpret that with DND 3.5 game rules? Personally I would translate that as Masterwork and a high crit. Masterwork adds +1 to attack so it would be easier to because of the speed of a bowie knife. The high crit because of its ability to puncture deeper.

All in all what we can tell from the clip point feature of the bowie is that it is a stabbing weapon and is more likely to be a piercing. (or at least how I interpret it from that feature)

Now upon researching a dagger it is also a weapon made primarily for stabbing.

I personally think the idea of a short sword for a bowie knife can be ruled out mostly because short swords (according to what I read/learned online) are slashing weapons and are much bigger than the bowie. There isn't any competition with size on this one... the Short sword IS much bigger. Now, from the way things look in 3.5 it usually is "The bigger the weapon the more damage it does". The bowie is bigger but probably not by too much... it is however much more viscous...

Well there is some speculation I did upon barley through research
    Last edited by BIRDMANﺕ; 2010-03-21 at 01:58 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

A Bowie is actually one of fairly few combat/hunting knives that are reasonably well-balanced for throwing.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    A Bowie is actually one of fairly few combat/hunting knives that are reasonably well-balanced for throwing.
    Oh so it can be thrown okay.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Drow long knife! 1d6, 19-20/x2, 10 foot increment. Can be used as a dagger or a short sword for feats applied specifically to either one. It's from RoE.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2010-03-21 at 02:48 AM.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Drow long knife! 1d6, 19-20/x2, 10 foot increment. Can be used as a dagger or a short sword for feats applied specifically to either one. It's from RoE.
    I don't know if a drow long knife would cut it :/ its blade would be far different from Elven blades.

we did come up with some sort of idea... although this really should be posted in homebrew:

1d4 masterwork dagger 18-20/x3

my friend also suggested that on a critical it should cause wounding... and I was like "WHAAAAAAAAAAAT!?" and he said "I do believe on a critical Katana's can vorpal... and thats a +5 property" and I was like "dude... op out the ass... but yeah, if a katana can vorpal on a crit im sure asking for wounding on a crit only wouldn't be too big a deal"

of course at the same time I feel... it would be a little over powered like that...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

I posted later that infact, I was unsure and was basing this off of memory.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Touchy View Post
    I posted later that infact, I was unsure and was basing this off of memory.
    It's probably not vorpal is a bit unreasonable mate

so im guessing the wounding should come off and just leave as is. then post in homebrew section for review of a custom item?
    Last edited by BIRDMANﺕ; 2010-03-21 at 02:58 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why the emphasis on masterwork? A masterwork weapon, per RAW, is "a finely crafted version of a normal weapon". The Bowie knife was a large utility knife made to be a tool useful for all occasions, including a fight if it came right down to it. A whole lot of them were produced - they weren't created one at a time for unique buyers. Some were, mind you - but those were the masterworks. Everything else was a normal weapon.

Now, that having been said, there is the old story about how James Black (the guy that made Bowie's Bowie) might have tripped over the recipe for Damascus steel somewhere along the line, and you could incorporate something similar into your D&D game. The original-made Bowies might be masterwork, because of some long-lost crafting technique.

Also note that there is nothing inherently special or unique about the Bowie knife's clip point. Per the same wiki article you reference, clip points are common on many knives. (I've got a clip point on a cheapo pocketknife in the kitchen drawer somewhere.) You want to talk about superior stabbing power and depth, pull out one of these.

Balance-wise, a crit range of 18-20/x3 is absurd. There's a reason that all the weapons with a crit range of anything more than 20 are only x2 damage. You can have an improved crit range on a weapon, or you can have improved crit multiplier on a weapon, but you can't have both without magic or feats. If you want something akin to a Bowie knife, I would reflavor a dagger - the Bowie is a slashing/stabbing weapon, smaller than a short sword, and fairly throwable, all of which is covered by "dagger" without having to add anything.

I would go on, but this is really just a repeat post anyway.
    Last edited by Delcan; 2010-03-21 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Additional wharrgarbl
    Visit Sunny Balmy Exotic Sigil, City of Doors

"Parallel" avatar by idksocrates
    Lady of Pain avatar by ElfLad

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It doesn´t only mechanically resemble a dagger, it is a dagger. Just use dagger stats, and call it a bowie knife.
    You can't stop here! This is bat country!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post
    It doesn´t only mechanically resemble a dagger, it is a dagger. Just use dagger stats, and call it a bowie knife.
    It's big frickin' dagger lol

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BIRDMANﺕ View Post
    Bowie knives come in two sizes, actual 'bowie knives' and the 'arkansas toothpick'. The bowies range from 6" to 12" blade length. The toothpicks range from 12" to 25" blade length. The name got confused during the US Civil War. Before that they were considered two different weapons.

The typical short sword in D&D, if I remember correctly, ranges from 20" to 30". I'm not 100% sure of that because my gaming bookshelf is buried behind a pile of show gear right now and I can't reach it.

Therefore, a bowie knife is in fact a dagger. The largest arkensas tootpicks are easily in the short sword range.
    Fhaolan by me! Raga avatar by Mephibosheth!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I want a Bowie knife that sings like David Bowie. I mean, it is a Bowie knife.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

i double agree 18-20 x3 that would make this weapon massively overpowered all the bowie knife is just a dagger, its much more deadly then a knife but so are all daggers if a silleto and poignard and a trench knife are all daggers then a bowie knife witch despite the hype is not that big (compared to other daggers not house knifes)or that specialized then it should just be a dagger. The modifications the bowie knife has make it more deadly then a house hold tool that happens to be sharp but that just puts it on par with combat weapons.

A butcher knife is not a dagger it's a knife
    Last edited by awa; 2010-03-21 at 11:11 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by BIRDMANﺕ View Post
    Historical daggers WERE big. They weren't kitchen knives, they were heavy-bladed weapons where the blade by itself could be a foot long or more. They were bigger than you think!

Count me in with the 'it is a particular kind of dagger, use dagger stats' crowd. It's well-designed for hunting/skinning/etc. as well as fighting, so if I wanted to differentiate it at all I'd say it doubles as a MW tool for the relevant skills and up the price accordingly.