New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Gorillaz

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Question Gorillaz

With the recent release of their new album Plastic Beach, I was wondering what the Playground's opinions were on the virtual band. Is the whole animated band thing just a tired gimmick, or is it a welcome change and an interesting satire on the two-dimensionality of modern pop music?

Personally, I love them, and I love their new album - though Demon Days still edges it out in terms of quality, it's still better than 99% of other mainstream bands achieving this kind of success.
    Last edited by H. Zee; 2010-03-21 at 01:10 PM.
    Thanks for the avatar, Jair Barik!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    ....you are an evil, brilliant man.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Gorillaz

Haven't heard the new one yet, but really like their earlier stuff.

I think the concept is pretty interesting. Might have been lame, but Jamie Hewlett is talented enough to make it work really well.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Just got Demon Days and Gorillaz for christmas this year, I've been a fan since I was a little kid.

Not much to say other than I thoroughly enjoy their music and wish I had their DVD(s).

4. - Top - End - #4

was a pretty big fan back in HS, I thought they disbanded or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Blights are halted by the heroic, self-sacrificial actions of a couple of dudes. Throwing them into a land containing the ur-example of the modern pulp fantasy warrior is rather like tossing a sponge in the Pacific and wondering if it'll get wet.

5. - Top - End - #5

I remember them! I loved their character designs; they ought to make more videos.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

from the five music videos I've seen they're pretty good.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

I adore them. Demon Days is one of the few albums I can listen to all the way through reasonably regularly. New album is okay, maybe it'll grow on me as I hear it more.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Used to be a big fan as well. There's something refreshingly new and unique to their sound, a touch of Air, a hint of Mogwai, and a good lot of great ideas. Plus, love the videos. Gotta listen to some of the nwe songs, then I#ll see if buying the new CD is worth it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Good original music, the gimmick works. They've got the most interesting videos out there, and Demon Days had songs on it that few "real" bands could make.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, well I have to de-lurk here because, well, I am a huge, huge fan of this band. Seriously, the news of their third album was possibly the best thing I heard for nearly a year.

What I like about them is how they've opened my tastes in music to genres I would never even consider listening to before. Well, they do have a lot of influences from hip-hop. But they're really capable of anything musically. I like bands like that.

I love the gimmick, it won't wear on me. The characters are brought to life in the animations and voices in both the music videos and the extra material (Yes, I have Rise of the Orge. Yes, I am sad like that ) and it's done really well. And by the way, the animations are always of really high quality, even their 3D appearence in Stylo looks very stylish (See what I did there?). Plus, satire's always fun, if done right, which it very much is with these guys.

And, well, Feel Good Inc. is what I personally consider the best song and video of the decade.

In summary, yeah, they're ok.

@Seraph: There is usually a massive time gap between albums, Gorillaz came out in 2001, Demon Days in 2005, and Plastic Beach in 2010

@Starfols: They are making new videos, I don't know if you've seen Stylo, fair enough if you haven't, but there'll probably be more videos from the future singles from Plastic Beach
    Last edited by Calamity; 2010-03-23 at 11:55 AM. Reason: I will get this right eventually...

Spoiler
    Show
    <NamelessOne> Calamity, you terrify me, and that's saying something.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ive been a fan for maybe two years, but I had only heard the music videos on youtube, recently I bought "Gorillaz" and "Plastic Beach", great stuff, I wish I had gotten them sooner then I had, I am going to get "Demon Days" soon, as some of my favorites are on there.

Favorite band by far.
    Last edited by Kiren; 2010-03-24 at 04:00 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Plastic Beach is really not what I'd expected from them. I like it, but it doesn't really sound like any of the older Gorillaz songs that I enjoy. Divergent evolution, I suppose.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I adore them. Demon Days is one of the few albums I can listen to all the way through reasonably regularly. New album is okay, maybe it'll grow on me as I hear it more.
    First listen I thought it was okay, second listen I loved it completely.
    But yeah, big big fan of Gorillaz. Pretty much the only band I always like, next to Avril Lavigne.
    ...my music tastes are weird.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sorry to break the chain here boys (and girls), but I dislike their music. It's always lacking depth and meaning, and the only beat that it has is equivalent to that of a tone-deaf toddler.

Of course this is all a lie to dupe you into reading my post. Nya nya. I do very much enjoy their music.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Murdoc is my hero.

Tomorrow Comes Today, Clint Eastwood, Kids With Guns, El Manana, Every Planet We Reach Is Dead, Stylo, and Rhinestone Eyes are seven of the greatest songs ever recorded.