New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basilisk Eggs

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Basilisk Eggs

A while back, my players recently survived a run in with a nesting basilisk. The elf ranger with a Snow White complex decided it would be a cool idea to try and hatch a basilisk egg. In game, three months have passed since and the character has been taking care of the egg...

Other than a having him make a wild empathy check to determine its attitude and let him have a pet (his previous animal companion was really a wildshaped druid playing a prank) what could I do?

Also, are there rules for reducing creatures in size?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Basilisk Eggs

The Pathfinder Bestiary has rules for 'Weaker' monsters, which can represent juveniles. If you want to go hardcore, BESM d20 has rules for advancing monsters through stages of life a la Magical Pet genre. I'm more interested in how to actually take care of the beastie. The first thought that comes to mind is some kind of blinders or hood, like a falcon's. Basilisks are predators, but sluggish, so he'll need a steady supply of food.

Now if you -really- want to spice things up, it's not a basilisk. It's a dracolisk.

A diagram of a basilisk, including a hatchling.

A dracolisk. Exactly what it says on the can. Somewhere along the line, a dragon and a basilisk decided to make a baby.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

that would be sheer awesomeness The Tygre. Nice pictures too.

you could have your PC "imprint" if its the first thing it sees as it hatches.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprinting_(psychology)
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-03-24 at 02:43 AM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Handle animal. IIRC, the Basilisk int makes it trainable at -5.

It's just a little deal not be cast in stone, but once you get rid ot it, it makes it a beautiful mount.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Handle animal. IIRC, the Basilisk int makes it trainable at -5.

It's just a little deal not be cast in stone, but once you get rid ot it, it makes it a beautiful mount.
    Is the Bassy's gaze able to be turned off? Or targeted? Because that way you could train it to not stone the party.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Is the Bassy's gaze able to be turned off? Or targeted? Because that way you could train it to not stone the party.
    SRD says:

Unless specified otherwise, a creature with a gaze attack can control its gaze attack and "turn it off" when so desired.
    So, if DM agrees that basiliks can be trained in that sense...
    Spoiler
    Show

The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    Now if you -really- want to spice things up, it's not a basilisk. It's a dracolisk.
    Or a hydralisk
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's a cool but silly idea. Use an illusion to make the basilisk look like something much more formidable, like a dragon. Use a low level wand or something, so the will save DC is low. You and your party members intentionally make no attempt to disbelieve it, so that's how you see him. As such, you can't be affected by his gaze attack.

When your enemies attempt to attack the "dragon", they interact with it and end up disbelieving and seeing the bask as it really is. Then they are subject to the gaze attack, and get petrified.

I should mention that I have absolutely no idea how well this works by RAW. Can gaze attacks work if you can't see the basilisk? How much of the illusion is what you actually see, and how much is in your head? Can you not disbelieve an illusion that you know is fake?

Still, if it works it'll be a hoot.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

i think that by the rule of Cool, you must allow it to be possible. i don't have enough of a grasp on petrification rules to know if it could be trained to "turn it off", but it sounds reasonable. (the training process however might cost many chickens/ mice/ other test animals).

as a suggestion, you could rule that it takes time for young basilisk to fully develop their power. maybe at first the DC to save is lower, or there is a reduced effect (some ideas could be: turn to stone for a few minutes only, or paralysys, or dexterity damage- "reduced stony effect")

i think it would take time for bassy to becoem formidable enough, but it could be fun to have him along anyway. (it's not as if Ranger's companions are that effective)

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 308HTR View Post
    Other than a having him make a wild empathy check to determine its attitude and let him have a pet (his previous animal companion was really a wildshaped druid playing a prank) what could I do?
    While the basilisk may not be available as an animal companion, the ranger could take it as a cohort with the Leadership feat. There may be a few other ways to do that... Beast Heart Adept in Dungeonscape might work, but I can't recall if basilisk is one of the available beasts.

I think there's a rule somewhere that allows you to train magical beasts with a -5 penalty. The basilisk has an Int of 2, so you could probably use Handle Animal for that, and since the ranger is hand-raising it from birth, I would probably give the ranger a +2 or +4 circumstance bonus to offset the magical beast penalty. (Usually you would use Diplomacy to train/negotiate with magical beasts, but with an Int of 2, I think Handle Animal would be more appropriate.)

Also, are there rules for reducing creatures in size?
    There is a "Dungeonbred" template in Dungeonscape if you want to breed the basilisk as a smaller size. However, I think you're just asking what size a basilisk under 6HD would be... and I don't think you really need a rule for that, it's easy enough to eyeball. Just say 1-5HD = small size, or 1-2HD = tiny, 3-5HD = small.

For balance reasons, I'd also say until the basilisk reaches full size (6HD), it hasn't developed its gaze attack yet. The DMG has rules on using monsters as cohorts, with suggested ECLs. I can recall if basilisk is in there, but I'd probably delay calling the thing full-grown until someone in the party can reliably cast break enchantment.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    While the basilisk may not be available as an animal companion, the ranger could take it as a cohort with the Leadership feat. There may be a few other ways to do that... Beast Heart Adept in Dungeonscape might work, but I can't recall if basilisk is one of the available beasts.

I think there's a rule somewhere that allows you to train magical beasts with a -4 penalty... although I may be confusing that with the Savage Empathy feat.
    SRD has one.

Special

You can use this skill on a creature with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2 that is not an animal, but the DC of any such check increases by 5. Such creatures have the same limit on tricks known as animals do.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Actually, a trainer can protect themselves from a basilisk's gaze pretty easily. Just design some kind of periscope googles to wear when handling the basilisk so there's no risk of seeing it directly. Make sure to keep it in a secure room with no windows, and have a double door system so people don't accidentally peek in. It might also be a good idea to develop some kind of secure blindfold to put on the basilisk until its trained, kind of like a hawk's hood.

This will still be difficult and take a while though. Rearing a infant magical beast takes one year and has a Handle Animal DC of 30 + the animal's HD. Teaching it tricks requires a DC40 + HD check. You could always Rule of Cool the DC lower though, or maybe they can find a master training willing to help them.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Is he going to name it "Bassie"?
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Or you could train your Basilisk with a blindfold, just like a hunting bird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Now you have me picturing someone using a Pretentious Fantasy Sword of Destiny for mundane tasks.

"It is called Chirodin, Blade of Eternity! It was forged in the heart of the sun by the god Dathir, using the moon as a hammer and the corpse of Turtaris, Mother of All Dragons, as an anvil. No physical barrier can divert its blow, for it always goes exactly where its wielder wills it. So, as you can imagine, it cuts simply amazing flank steaks!"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Or a hydralisk
    Let's make it a hydracolisk and see what happens.
    I WAS THERE
    Life is like a dungeon master, if it smiles at you, you just know that something terrible is about to happen

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    Sane.... isn't the word I'd use with you, Coplantor. Or myself, in fact. With myself, I'd say obssessive. With you, I'd say.... Coplantor.

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Go full out and make it a tarrashydracolisk.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    Go full out and make it a tarrashydracolisk.
    Now we are just being silly, are'nt we?

I love sillyness! As a DM, I would love this
    As a player though
    But as both I can see the hydracolisk working...
    I WAS THERE
    Life is like a dungeon master, if it smiles at you, you just know that something terrible is about to happen

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    Sane.... isn't the word I'd use with you, Coplantor. Or myself, in fact. With myself, I'd say obssessive. With you, I'd say.... Coplantor.

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Everything I know about Basilisk eggs I learned from Nethack.

Wear gloves. Avoid stairs.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I think you're actually probably best making it a normal basilisk though. What, a magic lizard that turns things to stone isn't magical enough by itself? Instead of making it memorable by adding some heads, why not play the basilisk as a memorable npc? It might be a dumb animal but have it be playful and surprisingly friendly.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    This will still be difficult and take a while though. Rearing a infant magical beast takes one year and has a Handle Animal DC of 30 + the animal's HD. Teaching it tricks requires a DC40 + HD check. You could always Rule of Cool the DC lower though, or maybe they can find a master training willing to help them.
    Aren't those the rules from ELH? I mean, I think you should apply those if the magical beast is not in the category of "normally trainable" (int 1 or 2).

Say, you want to rise a Phoenix or a Thunderbird..
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    Is he going to name it "Bassie"?
    If that's the idea, you should raise it someplace where it can become nobility and be promoted to the rank of Count. :D Also, give it levels in bard.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm... I remember seeing in a dragon Mag, feats for taking monsters as animal companions. Don't forget to train it for war :)
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    you could train it to not stone the party.
    Without it's momma, how do you train the basilisk to use it's power to begin with? This excuse can be used to delay the use of the power until it's appropriate for the level of the Ranger.

[I'm picturing that Elseworld where the Kryptonian boy adopted by the Waynes has his first heat-vision experience vaporizing his foster-parents' killer.]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz10019 View Post
    Without it's momma, how do you train the basilisk to use it's power to begin with? This excuse can be used to delay the use of the power until it's appropriate for the level of the Ranger.
    Isn't it pretty easy to mimic the ability with magic? Just Polymorph into one with Assume Supernatural Ability and make it repeat. Or use Flesh-to-Stone or some other trick to make your point :P
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz10019 View Post
    Without it's momma, how do you train the basilisk to use it's power to begin with?
    Pay a wizard to research a spell "speak with basilisk". Assuming it's sufficiently low-level, pay the same wizard to make an at-will item of the spell.

Pretty much "a wizard does it"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

After reviewing this thread I've decided that I'll house rule that magical beasts and aberrations with INT of 1 or 2 can be trained like animals. It'll have 2HD and tiny size at hatching, then I'll advance it to small and 4HD after the PC gets another level and then advance it again to 6HD and full (medium) size when the player gains two additional levels from now. apart from that, it will be unchanged. also, the Hydracolisk is a brilliant idea. Thanks all.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

After reviewing this thread I've decided that I'll house rule that magical beasts and aberrations with INT of 1 or 2 can be trained like animals.
    That's... that's not a house rule. They can.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    That's... that's not a house rule. They can.
    By the same set of rules found under the handle animal skill in the PHB, not the rules for the epic use of the skill.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yucca View Post
    Pay a wizard to research a spell "speak with basilisk". Assuming it's sufficiently low-level, pay the same wizard to make an at-will item of the spell.

Pretty much "a wizard does it"
    Not sure if you could do that. The tongues spell doesn't let you talk to anything that isn't intelligent so I'd expect any other spell to have to same problem - you can't talk to anything that isn't smart enough to talk.

On the other hand, monks get an ability that lets them talk to any living creature with no such restriction.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

This is reminiscent of a medusa I made once that had a basilisk as a pet. She named it Pebbles.