New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default item aura strength contradiction in SRD

According to detect magic, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/DetectMagic.htm
    {table]Faint|Moderate|Strong|Overwhelming
    5th or lower|6th-11th|12th-20th|21st+ (artifact)[/table]

However, in the wondrous items page, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/WondrousItems.htm
    I have looked and noticed that
    Faint = 1-6
    Moderate = 7-12
    Strong = 13-20

Which is correct? detect magic, or the value given with each item?
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-03-27 at 12:10 AM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: item aura strength contradiction in SRD

Text trumps table, so I'd go with the item descriptions prevailing over the Detect Magic table.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    Text trumps table, so I'd go with the item descriptions prevailing over the Detect Magic table.
    I'd say the opposite: The Detect Magic spell describes the rules for detecting magic with the Detect Magic spell. So if it states something different then the item descriptions, logically you use the item descriptions for detecting magic without detect magic, while you use the Detect Magic spell rules for when a player casts the spell Detect Magic.

4. - Top - End - #4

Detect magic is in the PHb, and outlines most means of aura detection, even for more powerful spells, such as Arcane Sight.

Magic Item tables are in the DMG.

While "text trumps table" is one of the more often cited Priority clauses, the entire basis is that the more valid source has priority.

PHb has more authority for the functioning of spells than the DMG. Therefore, for Detect Magic and all derivatives, it is primary source.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRivers View Post
    PHb has more authority for the functioning of spells than the DMG. Therefore, for Detect Magic and all derivatives, it is primary source.
    However, the DMG is the primary source for magic items. Troubling.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    if it was a single item I would be inclined to say so too... but EVERY item uses the exact same values in its description.

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

well, I emailed WOTC about it...
    "Your reference number is: 100327-000085"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    well, I emailed WOTC about it...
    "Your reference number is: 100327-000085"
    I wouldn't expect them to still be answering questions about pre-4th Edition D&D if I were you.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I wouldn't expect them to still be answering questions about pre-4th Edition D&D if I were you.
    i indeed seriously doubt that they will answer...
    actually I can see their answer now: "as you have observed 3.5e has problems, those were fixed in 4e, you should go buy 4e and play that instead.
    - WOTC employee"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    i indeed seriously doubt that they will answer...
    actually I can see their answer now: "as you have observed 3.5e has problems, those were fixed in 4e, you should go buy 4e and play that instead.
    - WOTC employee"
    Answer them:

"Easy, easy, one flawed product at time"
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

What's worse is that there is a CL 6 ring that's listed as moderate and a CL 12 ring that's listed as strong. Ditto for rods. Ditto for armors. Ditto for weapons, except flame tongue. I think they made a mistake on the wondrous items. If it makes you feel better the guy who screwed it up doesn't work for WotC anymore... b/c no author of 3.5e works at WotC anymore .
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-03-27 at 07:49 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    What's worse is that there is a CL 6 ring that's listed as moderate and a CL 12 ring that's listed as strong. Ditto for rods. Ditto for armors. Ditto for weapons, except flame tongue. I think they made a mistake on the wondrous items. If it makes you feel better the guy who screwed it up doesn't work for WotC anymore... b/c no author of 3.5e works at WotC anymore .
    Which means the table for Detect Magic was used for those items.
    6-11 is listed as moderate. 12-20 is listed as strong.
    How is that worse?
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Good for those items, worse for wondrous items. A clear contradiction. I think it's best to stick to the detect magic tables on this one.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by my original message
    According to the PHB page 19, the aura strengths of magic items are
    Faint = CL1-5
    Moderate = CL6-11
    Strong = CL12-20

According to the DMG entire chapter 7, looking at every individual item and the listed aura strength for it I have noticed that:
    Faint = CL1-6
    Moderate = CL7-12
    Strong = CL13-20
    There are no exceptions to this, all items on the DMG list the strength of the aura based on the CL of the item based on this chart which contradicts the values given in the PHB in the spell detect magic.

These two values obviously contradict, which one is correct?

Page Number: p19 for PHB, DMG entire ch7
    Book Name: 3.5e PHB & DMG
    Quote Originally Posted by WOTC response
    Hello Tal,

What page of the DMG has this chart repeated? On my initial review I was unable to fin anything. Happy Gaming!
    We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

To login to your account, or update your question please click here.

Shawn
    Status changed to solved.

Quote Originally Posted by my response to that
    the chart isn't replicated in the DMG.
    Each and every individual item in the DMG lists its "aura strength" as well as the CL. I have observed that all CL1-6 items in the DMG are listed as having a faint aura, contradicting the chart in the PHB's detect magic spell description, likewise for moderate and strong.

So its not that the chart is replicated.
    let me actually list some examples:
    p249 folding boat is "Faint Transmutation; CL6"

p252 circlet of blasting "Faint evocation; CL 6th; Craft Wondrous Item, Searing light; Price 6,480 gp."

p252 Cloak of Arachnida "Faint conjuration and transmutation; CL 6th; Craft Wondrous Item, spider climb, web; Price 14,000 gp; Weight 1 lb."

Actually, now that I take a better look, it seems to only be the case for wondrous items. If you simply go through the wondrous items you will see all of them incorrectly list the aura strength. but other items such as rings etc will list it correct.

ex: page 233: x-ray vision "Moderate divination; CL 6th; Forge Ring, true seeing; Price 5,000 gp."
    This one is clearly matching the chart in the PHB, as it lists CL 6th as moderate aura.
    Quote Originally Posted by WOTC response
    Tal,

I apologize, Customer Service does not have the ability to answer questions about versions of Dungeons and Dragons other than Fourth edition. We have collected some information here that may answer your question, but if it is not there the only advise I can give is to have your Dungeon Master make the best call he can and go forward from there.

Thanks, and Good Gaming!
    We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

To login to your account, or update your question please click here.

Josh
    and there you have it.