New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [Exalted] Playing a Zenith

A friend of mine is starting a freeform Exalted game on another forum, using Exalted's fluff but not the crunch, and suggested I play a Zenith caste. I don't know that much about Exalted, because I was scared away when I heard the backstory of the setting and politicking that happens in it is inscrutibally complicated.

Here's the bit he's given in his recruitment about it:

The game will be set in the far West of Creation, around a island chain far removed from the Scarlet Empire of the Dragon-Blooded. The islands are populated by small kingdoms, savage tribes, and the occasional Scarlet stronghold. The sea is populated by various tribes, minor Gods, and Ancient Leviathan, the most powerful Lunar Exalted ever born. The PCs will have their own ship, a lost wonder of the First Age, restored to working order by the painstaking efforts of my Twilight Caste engineer. The ship, a Whirling-class courier, known for reliability and speed more than it's abilities in combat. Very few ships of the First Age survive, and even fewer travel far from the mainland. The ship alone will make us a target of pirates, theives, and opprotunists, and if we get to free with out powers a Hunt will be sent out to find and exterminate us.
    I was wondering what the ins and outs of playing a Zenith were, as far as roleplaying is concerned. I'd thought to playing him as a straight-up Apollonian paladiny-kinda guy, but I also had another character idea that my friend said would be a cool idea for the Zenith, but I'm wondering if it might be too silly for the game. Any advice you can offer would be extremely helpful. Thank you.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2010-03-27 at 06:08 PM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Exalted] Playing a Zenith

Zeniths are pilgrims and priests. They endure conditions that would fell lesser men, just to bring the word of the Solars and the Unconquered Sun to people who live at remote places so Creation can be a better place.

Also, they hate creatures of darkness and their anima power is based on destroying them.

They are also the secondary combatants of their circles for some reason. So be sure to have some kind of combat ability.

Finally, they are the glue that keeps their circles together. If there is a problem between two Solars in a circle, the Zenith will smooth things over. Unless the Zenith himself has a problem, in that case you're screwed and your Circle will fall apart. Well, unless the Circle has been sanctified by an Eclipse. In which case they will stay together, begrudgingly though it might be.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I see. That IS helpful. So more like a battle-ready cleric than a paladin. Also here's a rundown of the party, in case that changes things:

Zenith Caste Solar (me)
    Twilight Caste Solar (the GM)
    Siderial Exalted of the Maiden of Serenity (the GM's girlfriend)
    Full Moon Caste Lunar (our forum's resident wolfman fan)
    Siderial Exalted of the Maiden of Battles (...I don't know what to say about this last guy. He's pretty much normal.)
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2010-03-27 at 06:12 PM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I just thought of another way of putting it.

Zeniths are mountains. They may be intimidating or they may be comforting, but they are reliable, impressive and enduring no matter what happens.

Though with two dedicated combatant Castes, you should probably focus more on the social aspects of the Zenith instead of the physical ones.
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Don't feel too limited by your caste, though. A Zenith can fight just as well as a Dawn, cast sorcery as well as a Twilight, sneak as well as a Night, and bargain just as well as an Eclipse. Caste is really just an archetype that you build your character on.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    Don't feel too limited by your caste, though. A Zenith can fight just as well as a Dawn, cast sorcery as well as a Twilight, sneak as well as a Night, and bargain just as well as an Eclipse. Caste is really just an archetype that you build your character on.
    Everyone can cast sorcery as well as a Twilight. That's pretty much the point of Sorcery - it's universal.

In fact, Creation's most famous sorcerer was a Zenith.

EDIT: I do kind of disagree on sneaking as well as a Night, since 1) Night castes have an anima power that is solely dedicated to sneaking, and 2) many stealth and disguise artifacts function better for Nights.
    Last edited by The Rose Dragon; 2010-03-27 at 06:26 PM.
    I use black for sarcasm.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

This was the crazy character idea I had that my friend suggested I use for my Zenith:

An adventuring chef, who travels the world seeking exotic and dangerous creatures to kill, cook and eat. The kind of guy who ate fugu and said "Not dangerous enough." Whenever the group encounters a new monster, he begins dissecting it and examining the corpse to see what parts, if any, are edible, then experiments with different ways of preparing them until he finds a good dish. Obviously he has the party try out his experiments, which can be an unpleasant experience until he gets it right. He won't prepare humanoids though, to avoid the possibility of cannibalism.

I was inspired by a manga called Toriko, wherein the protagonist is a musclebound warrior who wanders the world looking for new, exotic and dangerous ingredients to collect and eat.

It's a fun idea, but I don't think it sounds...dignified enough for an Exalt. It seems to silly for a game like Exalted.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    This was the crazy character idea I had that my friend suggested I use for my Zenith:

An adventuring chef, who travels the world seeking exotic and dangerous creatures to kill, cook and eat. The kind of guy who ate fugu and said "Not dangerous enough." Whenever the group encounters a new monster, he begins dissecting it and examining the corpse to see what parts, if any, are edible, then experiments with different ways of preparing them until he finds a good dish. Obviously he has the party try out his experiments, which can be an unpleasant experience until he gets it right. He won't prepare humanoids though, to avoid the possibility of cannibalism.

I was inspired by a manga called Toriko, wherein the protagonist is a musclebound warrior who wanders the world looking for new, exotic and dangerous ingredients to collect and eat.

It's a fun idea, but I don't think it sounds...dignified enough for an Exalt. It seems to silly for a game like Exalted.
    It's homebrew but... Orichalcum Chef Style might be what you want.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I said in the OP that this is gonna be freeform. And there's no guarantee I'll play this concept in the game anyway. Like I said, it seems to silly for a serious game like Exalted. I was under the impression Exalted was all about politicking and deception, but with gods instead of vampires.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2010-03-27 at 07:55 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I said in the OP that this is gonna be freeform. And there's no guarantee I'll play this concept in the game anyway. Like I said, it seems to silly for a serious game like Exalted. I was under the impression Exalted was all about politicking and deception, but with gods instead of vampires.
    Uh... Exalted is as serious as you want it to be. Really. There can be politics and deception. There can be straight up over the top ridiculous concepts. There can be brainwashing enemies into doing your bidding because you are just that awesome at giving speeches.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    There can be brainwashing enemies into doing your bidding because you are just that awesome at giving speeches.
    You can punch someone into obedience if you want to. Usually, punching solves most of your problems. I once heard of a character who punched the ground to form manses.
    I use black for sarcasm.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    You can punch someone into obedience if you want to. Usually, punching solves most of your problems. I once heard of a character who punched the ground to form manses.
    True. You can also punch someone so hard they turn into a duck.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Zenith is probably the most versatile Solar caste - for starters, almost all Dawn archetypes work well for Zenith as well, and many Eclipse ones. I assume that's because inspiring people to greatness with your presence is a shtick many Solars like, and this is what Zenith is all about.

Some sample Zenith concepts include:

A warrior-monk.
    A knight in shining armor leading by example.
    A total pacifist who fixes the world's problems one by one without harming a fly.
    A bard, fighting evil with the power of rock.
    An inspirational hot-blooded hero, who kicks reason to the curb and goes beyond the impossible.
    A leader of a nation, bringing crowds to their knees with awesome speeches.

And there are many, many more. I'd say your chef idea fits a Twilight more, though - they focus much more on finding new knowledge like that.

I was under the impression Exalted was all about politicking and deception, but with gods instead of vampires.
    Depends. Most of Exalted games are heavy either on adventures, or on nation building. The latter usually have much more politicking, while the former are more like classical RPG games, only much more epic.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

True. You can also punch someone so hard they turn into a duck.
    I've never quite understood that meme. I mean, that Charm allows you to turn people into a lot of things. Why focus on the duck?
    I use black for sarcasm.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Things that are important for playing a Zenith:

You are the Chosen of the Chosen – not only were you chosen to be a Solar but the Unconquered Sun himself spoke to you as you were exalted. What did he say to you, this likely is a major influence on your character from his exaltation onwards.

You count as a priest of all gods. Thus, if you put some points and/or charms into performance, you can do prayer rolls fairly effectively, which can get you aid and advice from many gods.

You are Kung Fu Jesus, Vampire Slayer. You are Jules Winnifield, wandering the creation as you seek your purpose. You are moses yelling "Let my people go!". You are Caligula, mad god-emperor.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I've never quite understood that meme. I mean, that Charm allows you to turn people into a lot of things. Why focus on the duck?
    Ducks seem to be inherently amusing (or scary, depending on the person; I know at least two people who're scared of 'em). Personally, I'd just turn people into llamas
    (Assuming I can, of course; I don't think I've read the charm, and I definitely don't recall how it works)
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Duck is a funny word. D is a funny letter and duck rhymes with a certain expletive. Also, ducks are just funny looking, the bills, man, the bills, and are rather clumsy on land and even look ungainly when a dabbling (up tails all!) in the water. Their call is goody to human ears.
    In short, they are very silly animals with a silly name. Hence, anything connected to them is also silly. Besides, your missing the point. You're PUNCHING someone, SO HARD, they turn into a DUCK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Duck is a funny word. D is a funny letter and duck rhymes with a certain expletive. Also, ducks are just funny looking, the bills, man, the bills, and are rather clumsy on land and even look ungainly when a dabbling (up tails all!) in the water. Their call is goody to human ears.
    In short, they are very silly animals with a silly name. Hence, anything connected to them is also silly. Besides, your missing the point. You're PUNCHING someone, SO HARD, they turn into a DUCK.
    I want to punch a pair of llamas so hard they turn into a duck, now.
    CURSE MY INTERNET-TAINTED MIND FOR MAKING THESE CONNECTIONS!
    Spoiler
    Show

Red Mage, is that you?
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I want to punch a pair of llamas so hard they turn into a duck, now.
    CURSE MY INTERNET-TAINTED MIND FOR MAKING THESE CONNECTIONS!
    Is THIS how it's told now? Is it all so old? Is it made of lemon juice? Doorknob? Ankle? Cold?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Chances are the duck thing comes from an early example or forum discussion. Like the fact that any example melee focused Solar will be referred to as Invincible Sword Princess.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draxar View Post
    Chances are the duck thing comes from an early example or forum discussion. Like the fact that any example melee focused Solar will be referred to as Invincible Sword Princess.
    Guess that means mine will be named that too. I'm probably gonna go for Big Freakin' Sword and Big Freakin' Shield.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Is THIS how it's told now? Is it all so old? Is it made of lemon juice? Doorknob? Ankle? Cold?!
    I think this song is getting thin; we've run out of luck. It is time to retire, now, and become a duck.

-gives you a cookie-
    Spoiler
    Show

Red Mage, is that you?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

So I'm considering playing a Zenith as an Apollonian-like paladin. How does a person become an Exalted? Is it something that happens at birth?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

So I'm considering playing a Zenith as an Apollonian-like paladin. How does a person become an Exalted? Is it something that happens at birth?
    For a Solar, you Exalt at a moment of extreme heroism. When you take up arms to fight against an army alone, when you decipher the secret spellbook of ancient Salina, when you negotiate a peace between two warring nations.

For other types, it's a bit different, but that's not too relevant here.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Uh... Exalted is as serious as you want it to be. Really. There can be politics and deception. There can be straight up over the top ridiculous concepts. There can be brainwashing enemies into doing your bidding because you are just that awesome at giving speeches.
    And there can be all three, at the same time!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

It happens at a moment of heroism, where few others would rise to the challenge. It usually happens at the third decade of one's life, but can happen between 12 and 65 (and rarely beyond).
    I use black for sarcasm.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so how do I figure out my motivation? I know that I want this guy's adventures to illustrate the conflict between the Apollonian and Dionysian, but I'm not quite sure how to set it up.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I'm starting to wonder if I should go with this character. The GM has told me he's using PDFs that he buys on CD-ROM from a friend of his who bought the books. That's piracy, isn't it?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

I'm starting to wonder if I should go with this character. The GM has told me he's using PDFs that he buys on CD-ROM from a friend of his who bought the books. That's piracy, isn't it?
    *blink* Yeah. And ridiculously old-school piracy, at that.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

That sounds like a fun quirk, but you might want to make that more of a hobby for the character, rather than their defining feature... well, unless you really want to crank it up to 11 and start actively hunting powerful gods, demons, etc to eat them.

Exalted isn't necessarily serious, and many powerful Exalts have all-consuming interests like that. But those Exalts tend to be more of the NPC type because such a powerful being with such a narrow interest can ultimately be a potential danger to everything that exists ("OM NOM NOM THE FABRIC OF THE UNIVERSE IS DELICIOUS").