New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default 3.5 Artificer - Need help with anything/everything

After my campaign last night...we moved on to decide that my buddy who we are gonna call 'X' is going to run a game on fridays. However, I discussed my character idea with him and he is willing to let me play it.

I am going to play an artificer

we start at level 10.

This artificer is a researcher on mimicing/cloning magical items. He has allowed me a craft check dc 15 +level of item to clone a magical item with the properties. Im also allowed to strip the magic from an item and store in a special device to apply to another item of my choosing.

I need a way to make myself powerful and be able to succeed at said thing. Including race, stats to main in order of 1/2/3 and so on and stats I can dump. I need some help on ways to hunt artifacts and such so that I may abuse my power.

Any dips/feats and such I should take.
    Last edited by TripperdeCleric; 2010-03-29 at 03:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: 3.5 Artificer - Need help with anything/everything

Here is a handbook that might be of some use to you: Artificer Handbook

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TripperdeCleric View Post
    This artificer is a researcher on mimicing/cloning magical items. He has allowed me a craft check dc 15 +level of item to clone a magical item with the properties.
    I assume you can only clone a limited amount of magic items at a time? (And no consumables.) Otherwise you break the economy into itty bitty pieces ;)
    I need some help on ways to hunt artifacts and such so that I may abuse my power.
    Artifacts are placed by the DM and the setting ... what setting will you be playing in?
    Any dips/feats and such I should take.
    The persistificer using persistent unfettered heroism and wandsurge is undoubtedly the more optimal route, but it's also terribly cheesy. Ignoring persistent spell for a moment ... I like Prophecy's Artifex to get free quickening on wands.
    Last edited by PinkysBrain; 2010-03-29 at 04:33 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

The artificer handbook gives you all the advice I could give and more, but if you truly intend to abuse your power, make sure you practice you maniacal laughter and learn to give entertaining monologues about how you plan to take over the world.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Reading the guide now

any ideas on how to abuse that given power he allotted?

I mean I need feats/skills or w/e that allow me to search for artifacts or gain ways to achieve them easier.

any ideas on the stats?

Also yeah...he set no limit to how many I can have at one time...however I think if I clone it too many times it destroys it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I don't have my Eberron books with me at the moment, but I'll give them a look over later.

Off the top of my head, here are several options:

Detect Magic is the fastest way to obtain information about a magical item or detect one in close range. Divination Spells can also achieve a similar effect. Detect Magic is obtainable easily from wands.

If you want to go around seeking out powerful magic items then one good method would be to abuse the often abused Leadership feat. Get Leadership and then find a wizard cohort with the Collegiate Wizard feat (gives bonus spells to them per level) who will be able to scribe scrolls for you and also use divination spells to seek out those magical items.

Other ways of obtaining information about the locations of magical items are diplomacy checks mixed with gather information and the various knowledge skills.

~~~

Overall if you overpower your character you may very quickly become the most powerful character in the party. When this happens you need make sure to turn your character into a team player. DM's and groups dislike players who take all the glory and overshadow everyone else. However, groups LOVE a party member who goes around building fancy new magic items for them at very low costs and uses their abilities to buff up the entire group. Overall if you play an Artificer properly your entire group will love you to death and your DM will have no choice but to leave your character alone or face the wrath of the entire party.

~~~

The Artificer Guide that was already linked is going to be your best friend along with the Magic Item Compendium and Dungeon Master Guide (the back section with all the item information).

Stat priority is
    1. Int
    2. Dex
    3. Cha/Con

Races are the typical best races. Human and Strongheart Halfling are great. If you don't mind playing a halfling then go with Strongheart halfling. The Artificer Guide explains some options for Warforged. They also have nice substitution levels.

Item Familiars from Unearthed Arcana are fun to have. I would suggest playing a few games to see if the DM is the type to deprive players of items just to spite them. An Item Familiar can really hurt your character if you lose it, so be careful in your decision. (One option I've always wanted to try is to play a Warforged with his armor as an Item Familiar. Warforged are allowed to enchant their own armor that they use and it would be extremely difficult to remove a Warforged's armor off of him if it's even possible.)

*edit*

http://69.8.198.229/wotc_archive/index.php/t-719014 might be helpful too

~~~

When building your character, be sure to take your time and make use of all the XP that Artificers get each level to create items with. That XP pool doesn't transfer or build up over levels so you either spend it or lose it when you level up.

Some fun magical items to start off making are Magic Wands, Eternal Magic Wands (2 uses/day, infinite charges!) and Weapon and Armor Gems. Weapon and Armor Gems can be removed and placed on any weapons and armor to enchant them with bonus abilities. If you're a warforged you can just stick an armor gem on yourself to gain the benefit.

Be sure to make a nice big number of magical items to pass out to each of the other player characters once you get friendly enough with them. Also ask them about their character goals and try to identify items that you could build for them as surprises. If you play this character right (and don't be stingy with your item creation) your party is really going to love you.
    Last edited by HunterOfJello; 2010-03-29 at 06:44 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Thank you very much

going to play human just so there is no dm throwing a book at me. Usually he is very easy on us finding stuff...however most of his "missions" are extremely complicated but some of the tools I can buy/get help that easily. I do think that the items will come up often just have to look for them.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Do you know what your starting gp will be?

You definitely want a Handy Haversack and Belt of Many Pockets for all these items you're going to be hauling around.

*edit*

http://www.enworld.org/forum/local_l...catid=2&id=109 could be useful for keeping track of your infusions. (Check out the infusions pdf)
    Last edited by HunterOfJello; 2010-03-29 at 06:55 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

He said level 10...so i figure he will give us the DMG amount specific to that level w/e that may be.

I really like that magic guide.

I do believe he is letting me transfer magic from one item to another and such..so not sure if he is letting it stack..but really gonna take the leadership thing and alot of crafts...

any ideas on whether I should be ranged or melee?
    Last edited by TripperdeCleric; 2010-03-29 at 07:10 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

He said level 10...so i figure he will give us the DMG amount specific to that level w/e that may be.

I really like that magic guide.

I do believe he is letting me transfer magic from one item to another and such..so not sure if he is letting it stack..but really gonna take the leadership thing and alot of crafts...

any ideas on whether I should be ranged or melee?

definitely ranged.

melee is best left to barbarians, fighters and rogue. you're better off in the back boosting everyone, sniping with wands, and controlling the battlefield

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Ok, not sure ill really have to travel or combat much...was wondering with the items I should have access too. Ranged does sound better. Might just stick to wands though instead of bow/crossbow.

He is doing the system like this:

3k gold per level

so 3000 x 10 = 30,000 gp

Plus my earnings per week of being roughly 100gp

So Im able to start with a few things to get me going.

Im slightly frightened by how much he is handing out. Either he is scared we wont like the game so is giving too much. Or He is hoping we dont hate him in the end of the first game.
    Last edited by TripperdeCleric; 2010-03-29 at 07:20 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Ok, not sure ill really have to travel or combat much...was wondering with the items I should have access too. Ranged does sound better. Might just stick to wands though instead of bow/crossbow.

He is doing the system like this:

3k gold per level

so 3000 x 10 = 30,000 gp

Plus my earnings per week of being roughly 100gp

So Im able to start with a few things to get me going.

Im slightly frightened by how much he is handing out. Either he is scared we wont like the game so is giving too much. Or He is hoping we dont hate him in the end of the first game.
    hopefully that isn't the case. I can already tell that he doesn't use the Dungeon Master's Guide properly though, considering that he's giving you less than half of what your character wealth should be.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

What is the recommended gold?

any ideas on any prestige classes or anything that would be good to take? or just stick to artificer all the way up?

14. - Top - End - #14

any ideas on any prestige classes or anything that would be good to take? or just stick to artificer all the way up?
    Hereis the chart:

2 900
    3 2700
    4 5400
    5 9000
    6 13000
    7 19000
    8 27000
    9 36000
    10 49000
    11 66000
    12 88000
    13 110000
    14 150000
    15 200000
    16 260000
    17 340000
    18 440000
    19 580000
    20 760000

15. - Top - End - #15

Very few PrCs are worth it for an Artificer. Cannith Wand Adept is the major exception if you are going to be a Blastificer. It isn't that the class is that good, its that the PrCs don't refill your Craft Reserve, so you need to set aside XP every level for it.

Not much of a problem, but enough to deter some people.

A 3 level dip into Incarnate gets you a massive bonus to your UMD checks through the Mage's Spectacles soulmeld. It also gives you the Incarnate Weapon soulmeld, which is a great target for your Infusions.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Last edited by Endarire; 2010-03-29 at 08:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

What book is incarnate in?

on another issue. Ive read the artificer multiple times and I see it as being great with that salvage ability.

It seems like a very fun class and I think I can make it happen.

Lets see if this looks right to yall.

Human Artificer

STR: 14
    DEX: 16
    CON: 17
    INT: 18 +2 = 20
    WIS: 14
    CHA: 18

Feats:
    Scribe Scroll (artisan)
    Exceptional Artisan (human)
    Legendary Artisan (1st)
    Extraordinary Artisan (3rd)
    Leadership (6th)
    Wand Mastery (9th)
    Brew Potion (Artisan)
    Craft Wonderous Item (Artisan)
    Craft Homunculus (Artisan)
    Craft Magic Arms and Armor (Artisan)
    Craft Wand (Artisan)
    Craft Rod (Artisan)
    Contingency Spell (Bonus)
    Still need 1 bonus Feats

Skills:
    These are for sure

Spellcraft 13
    Craft * 13

not sure what else though.
    Last edited by TripperdeCleric; 2010-03-29 at 09:26 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    Very few PrCs are worth it for an Artificer. Cannith Wand Adept is the major exception if you are going to be a Blastificer. It isn't that the class is that good, its that the PrCs don't refill your Craft Reserve, so you need to set aside XP every level for it.

Not much of a problem, but enough to deter some people.

A 3 level dip into Incarnate gets you a massive bonus to your UMD checks through the Mage's Spectacles soulmeld. It also gives you the Incarnate Weapon soulmeld, which is a great target for your Infusions.
    Well, the thing about PrC's is that none of them advance any artificer features. Whereas a wizard who takes, say, abjurant champion, gets to keep spellcasting exactly the way a wizard would AND fancy bonuses, an artificer who PrCs does not get more infusions, more crafting feats, or more craft reserve.

So taking a PrC is like saying "I'm done with accumulating artificer related class features"
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

No need to PrC then. I think I can just maximize the class by going all the way to 20 as an artificer and just improve with gear.

20. - Top - End - #20

Magic of Incarnum. Be prepared for a headache, though you are playing the one class more complicated than the entire book.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Lol. thanks for that then. Im most likely not going to Prc since there isnt anything I actually "gain"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Magic of Incarnum. Wonderful book. The system is relatively simple, but there's lots of complexity from such simple details. The incarnate and totemist are strong but balanced (though there aren't any other classes in the book NO THERE AREN'T). It does get feat-intensive, and you have to make choices between magic items and soulmelds, but there's enough variety and fun stuff to play with that you can make character after character and not have the same build twice, even going MoI-only.

Feats:
    Scribe Scroll (artisan)
    Exceptional Artisan (human)
    Legendary Artisan (1st)
    Extraordinary Artisan (3rd)
    Leadership (6th)
    Wand Mastery (9th)
    Brew Potion (Artisan)
    Craft Wonderous Item (Artisan)
    Craft Homunculus (Artisan)
    Craft Magic Arms and Armor (Artisan)
    Craft Wand (Artisan)
    Craft Rod (Artisan)

Still need 2 bonus Feats
    First level feat should be Apprentice (Craftsman), from the DMG II. 10% off all crafting costs. ALL crafting costs.

Also, Extra Ring is nice. Or possibly Item Familiar, if you can swing it. Craft Graft would be nice, except grafts aren't all that good.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2010-03-29 at 09:05 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Extra rings require me to be level 12th..unfortunately im only level 10.

what about contigiency spell? or w/e its called..where is item familiar and is it just a bad idea?

24. - Top - End - #24

Extra rings require me to be level 12th..unfortunately im only level 10.

what about contigiency spell? or w/e its called..where is item familiar and is it just a bad idea?
    1: Craft Contingent Spell is liable to get books thrown. It's in CArc. In other words, use at personal risk, but it is a good feat.

2: Item Familiar is in UA. As long as you don't abuse the Skill Points thing, and apply the bonus XP to your craft reserve only, it's a great way to improve your character's UMD abilities.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

I think I can dodge the first book..I might attempt it...is it really that good of a feat?

and on the familiar one...UA is?

26. - Top - End - #26

Kobold

Take some metamagic feats!

Artificer <3 metamagic.

Check out "Metamagic Item" a third level infusion. Spend one round casting it, and then any spell trigger item (Wand, Staff) has a metamagic applied to it for rounds-per-level.

Take something like Twin Spell and then enjoy spending one infusion to make your wand twice as effective for the rest of the fight. Double fireballs? Double enervation?

NOTE: In the event that you do this, you are contractually obliged to make a wand of blind and then announce that for scientific accuracy you're going to make it a double blind
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2010-03-29 at 09:22 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

I think I can dodge the first book..I might attempt it...is it really that good of a feat?

and on the familiar one...UA is?
    It effectively gives you an answer to every possible situation you could be in. The reason the spell version is so good is because it gives you an out without needing an action during combat. The feat is even better because it gives you more actions. Requires a good amount of Min-Maxing to make it work, so talk to some of our fellow optimizers for more information.

Unearthed Arcana. AKA the SRD.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

taking the "amazing" feat

not taking the familiar one...it seems like it could hurt more than end up helping me...or force the dm to strip it when i get strong.

At the heart metamagic guy:

Is twin spell really worth the slot? or is there better out there?
    Last edited by TripperdeCleric; 2010-03-29 at 09:26 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Kobold

taking the "amazing" feat

not taking the familiar one...it seems like it could hurt more than end up helping me...or force the dm to strip it when i get strong.

At the heart metamagic guy:

Is twin spell really worth the slot? or is there better out there?
    I love twin spell, personally. Damage-wise, it's about as good as maximize on average. (3d6=18 damage maximized, or 6d6=18 damage on average). Except that you can use it for other stuff.

Save-or-dies become "Save TWICE or die" which is brilliant. Like it sounds, it's just the same spell twice. Look at all your wands and ask "Would it be worth a feat to DOUBLE this?" and then answer yourself "Of course it would! Magic is awesome. Double magic, therefore, is double awesome!"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

hmmm..so twin spell allows me to double the spell coming from a wand? and it would be used for blind or sleep or the better one of both depending...