New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Masterwork Tool for UMD?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post
    Not at all. The whole point of having tools in the real world is to be better at skills. You don't need tools to see a small object, but magnifying glasses help. You don't need tools to swim fast, but flippers help. This is what the "masterwork tool" is supposed to replicate in the game world. Just because some skills (like "use rope" for example) cannot be used without a tool doesn't mean they are the only ones that can be better performed with one.
    While that sounds not unreasonable, you have to admit that RAW doesn't actually say so, and that the other interpretation (that skills which don't use tools also don't have masterwork tools) is equally valid.

As a related issue: whenever the MW tool for anything is asserted to be any kind of reference book or any kind of laboratory equipment, using the skill would logically take several rounds. How many seconds does it take you to find something in a paper encyclopedia?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

2. - Top - End - #32

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    While that sounds not unreasonable, you have to admit that RAW doesn't actually say so, and that the other interpretation (that skills which don't use tools also don't have masterwork tools) is equally valid.

As a related issue: whenever the MW tool for anything is asserted to be any kind of reference book or any kind of laboratory equipment, using the skill would logically take several rounds. How many seconds does it take you to find something in a paper encyclopedia?
    Hence why I always suggest a Pokedex for the Knowledge tools.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post
    Not at all. The whole point of having tools in the real world is to be better at skills. You don't need tools to see a small object, but magnifying glasses help. You don't need tools to swim fast, but flippers help. This is what the "masterwork tool" is supposed to replicate in the game world. Just because some skills (like "use rope" for example) cannot be used without a tool doesn't mean they are the only ones that can be better performed with one.
    I hereby declare masterwork flippers to be the tool that grants a +2 circumstance bonus on Use Magic Device checks.

Why? Because the magic devices are making fun of you, that's why.

Edit: Alternatively, deely-boppers.

obnoxious
    sig
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2010-03-31 at 08:47 PM.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by volthawk View Post
    I have a question.

What would a Masterwork Tool be for UMD?
    How about a Shamble normally they're made up from string, something live and whatever you've got lying around in your pockets, so buy the tool and always make sure you have say an egg some string a bunch of stuff in your pockets to use as it.
    As your time spins and sets what you love you can forget this I hope, I believe it's insomnia fantasy the tortoise had a dream that he was free. when he woke up, he was married. some things are better than freedom.
    freedom, kōan 129. koanoftheday.com

Kris & Lyra by me.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

If I were DMing, I'm not sure I would allow masterwork tools for UMD at all (in part because they amount to a "+2 to almost everything you do" for artificers, who are already a very powerful class.)

If I did allow them, one possible form would be a pair of gloves made out of some magically-sensitive material; as you try to activate the item, you can feel the changing magic fluxes in your fingertips, and use that as feedback to whether you're doing it right. A pair of goggles with magically-sensitive lenses would work along similar lines. In both cases, they don't let you detect magic at will (unless they're enchanted to do that as well) because they detect changes in the item's aura as you try to activate it, not the unchanging aura of a magic item just sitting there.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

All tools have to be usable without increasing the time for the skill. Since Use Magic Device takes no time itself, and device activation can be as quick as a free or swift action, the tool can't be cumbersome. A reference book isn't an appropriate tool for UMD (but would be for Gather Information, which takes hours). So something like a square of silk would be my call. Rubbing silk on something can generate static electricity, which seems like a helpful addition if you're trying to get a device to start working.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by volthawk View Post
    Which weighs 1lb?
    Mmm, probably closer to the alchemists' lab (which is 40 lb and 500 gp). The generic "1 lb 50 gp tool" is just a starting point; the DM should decide whether/what kind of tool exists for certain skills. Not all prices are (or should be) the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    All tools have to be usable without increasing the time for the skill.
    What is the support for this? Climber's kit probably takes longer to use than most walls take to climb... same is likely true for appraise and scales.
    Last edited by Riffington; 2010-03-31 at 09:16 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Well if your DM already allowed it, I suggest a bottle of placebos. So long as you don't know what you're taking, they give you the confidence to activate them better.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    What is the support for this?
    Tool, Masterwork

This well-made item is the perfect tool for the job. It grants a +2 circumstance bonus on a related skill check (if any).
    The tool's description does not include any mention of change in the skill use time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Use Magic Device
    Action: None. The Use Magic Device check is made as part of the action (if any) required to activate the magic item.
    Absent any exception noted for the MW tool, we have to follow the existing rules, and UMD takes only the time required for device activation -- nothing more.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

A fancy hat. Its totally, a fancy hat. Or some U-235. If you want to be serious its a crystal/gem or an extra fancy spell component pouch.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

11. - Top - End - #41
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    I disagree. RAW says that Masterwork Tools are available for what ever skill you might want them in. A special sheath for Iajutsu checks. A piece of leather to bite down on for Autohypnosis. Whatever. RAW doesn't specify what they are, just that you should be able to get one.

Skillmonkeys don't need the nerf. Seriously. The guy worried about artificers, OK, that I can see - but Artificers are not going to be stopped by not having a masterwork tool, at all, since they'll have a better magical competence bonus to UMD pretty quickly anyway. Plus they'll set up their abilities for it. A Rogue doesn't always have that luxury.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    I disagree. RAW says that Masterwork Tools are available for what ever skill you might want them in. A special sheath for Iajutsu checks. A piece of leather to bite down on for Autohypnosis. Whatever. RAW doesn't specify what they are, just that you should be able to get one.
    No, no it doesn't. It states that every tool has a skill. Not that every skill has a tool.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    No, no it doesn't. It states that every tool has a skill. Not that every skill has a tool.
    I fail to see how this is relevant to the OP's question.

I stand by flippers or deely-boppers.

(Though the magically-sensitive gloves makes sense. Isn't there some sort of material mentioned somewhere that fulfills this?)

obnoxious
    sig
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    I disagree. RAW says that Masterwork Tools are available for what ever skill you might want them in.
    Please provide an URL or PHB page number for that statement.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Firbolg in the Playground

I went for the gloves, and the DM said it was OK. Thanks for the help (I couldn't think of anything).

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

The tool's description does not include any mention of change in the skill use time. Absent any exception noted for the MW tool, we have to follow the existing rules, and UMD takes only the time required for device activation -- nothing more.
    That is all true (unless the DM actually bothers to invent a MW tool, in which case she obviously needs to invent rules for its use).

However, unpacking a tool is still a different action (or set of actions) than using the skill. There is no requirement that unpacking it be included in the skill action.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground

Personally, I think the item should be called:

The Magic Item Compendium

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

A book of standard magical phrases, with a page (as in the dictionary) showing the right pronuntiation of the magical letters.
    Also, it's possible to have a masterwork-made grip for wands, that helps in keeping your fingers in the right position to wave the item.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground

All tools have to be usable without increasing the time for the skill.
    Libraries are includes as tools for bonuses on knowledge skills in the SBG and they cost more than MW tools and referencing the books certainly takes more time than the "usually none" stated in the SRD for knowledge checks. Different skills require different tools and the "(if any)" clause in the tools section seems to introduce some uncertainty. The tools usually require some extra effort to use but how much depends on the skill in question. I'm not saying a simple masterwork UMD tool that take no extra time to use would be unreasonable but that it's not a given, it could be a 500 gp UMD laboratory.
    Last edited by Ormur; 2010-04-01 at 09:43 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50

This except instead of stars is magical words and information. /thread

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Masterwork Tool for UMD?

Quote Originally Posted by Longcat View Post
    Personally, I think the item should be called:
    The Magic Item Compendium
    Perfect.

Honestly, it's down to the player's ingenuity to come up with a feasible mundane tool and up to the DM whether or not the bonus it provides is realistically applicable in a given situation/time-frame. A reference book cannot be quickly referred to in combat but, if you had access to whatever device you're trying to activate plus the book and had an hour or so to read and experiment, it would be reasonable to give the bonus.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    Except there is. There's a tool for every skill, you just need to justify it.
    Nononono. There can be, doesn't mean there is one for every skill. But it's true that if you can justify it then you've got your tool.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-04-01 at 10:46 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Nononono. There can be, doesn't mean there is one for every skill. But it's true that if you can justify it then you've got your tool.
    And if you can't, pay the extra 350gp and get a magical widget that does the same thing.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Ha, that's subject to DM approval and a known source of abuse.

Besides that, yes, a +2 makes a difference. It's hard to pump UMD at low levels and being able to use wands reliably 2 levels earlier is a big deal. And then to start using scrolls reliably. At higher levels you can use spells 1 level higher, also huge. Or the higher level scrolls are too expensive and you don't bother increasing UMD anyway, in which case it doesn't matter either way.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-04-01 at 10:57 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

All tools have to be usable without increasing the time for the skill. Since Use Magic Device takes no time itself, and device activation can be as quick as a free or swift action, the tool can't be cumbersome. A reference book isn't an appropriate tool for UMD (but would be for Gather Information, which takes hours). So something like a square of silk would be my call. Rubbing silk on something can generate static electricity, which seems like a helpful addition if you're trying to get a device to start working.
    Maybe you have been studying the refrence book in your free time?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they just drag you to their level and beat you in experience."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Silk/Displacer beast hide/Dragonskin gloves, makes it easier to connect to the magical energies of magical items.
    A custom wandgrip for you, and a mechanism for auto-scroll-unfurling.

Your lucky underpants?
    Quote Originally Posted by BadJuJu View Post
    Maybe you have been studying the refrence book in your free time?
    The way I read it, the tool is a piece of equipment, something that doesn't work unless you have it on hand. (That is, if you lose the tool, you lose the bonus.) A studied book wouldn't really work that way.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    Which means that if you make up a tool that makes sense for a given skill, it should give you +2 to it. It's effectively the same thing.

Unless you care to prove that a UMD MW Tool is actually, literally impossible.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Asbestos View Post
    A book entitled "How to Win Friends and Influence Magic Items".

I was never able to wrap my brain around the concept that a particularly charismatic rogue could figure out how to use a magical item or scroll that a dedicated Wizard (when casting divine stuff) or Cleric (when casting arcane stuff) was incapable of using or how said rogue could trick a magic item, that will not work for certain races/genders/classes/alignments, into working for them.
    Same question could be asked on why sorcerers base their magic on charisma.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

29. - Top - End - #59

PaladinGuy

A pixie wizard.
    "We speak for the dead. We are all they have when the wicked steal their voice. But we do not owe them our lives."

Roy Montgomery, NYPD Sgt., Castle

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

One of these.