New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Love for Fey

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default No Love for Fey

Where can I find decent fluff + crunch on Fey?
    Preferably online and free.

Also I'm planning to argue this with someone.
    Should elves be classified as fey?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: No Love for Fey

Quote Originally Posted by Geiger Counter View Post
    Where can I find decent fluff + crunch on Fey?
    Preferably online and free.

Also I'm planning to argue this with someone.
    Should elves be classified as fey?
    Err...Monster Manual? Wizards of the Coast?

Fey in general or some fey races in particular that have good fluff and crunch?

Elves shouldn't be fey, in my opinion.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Savage Species has a little fluff on fey, particularly why they would want to leave their wilds in search of adventure.

I'm unaware if there's an actual sourcebook on them though.

Elves aren't "fey" enough, except in the rainbow sense, if you catch my meaning.
    Last edited by Optimystik; 2010-04-08 at 12:16 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Savage Species has a little fluff on fey, particularly why they would want to leave their wilds in search of adventure.

I'm unaware if there's an actual sourcebook on them though.

Elves aren't "fey" enough, except in the rainbow sense, if you catch my meaning.
    I suppose Fiend Folio might do something for you, now that I think about it.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Personally, I prefer to flavor Gnomes with fey origins, probably blame-able on Pathfinder. The notion of extraplanar refugees from a realm of vibrancy and chaos appeals to me.

But I agree with your original assessment, fey lack good (widely known) support.

6. - Top - End - #6

Eldan loves fey, from what I've seen. He'll probably drift in here by tomorrow, posting all sorts of wonderful sources for fey that none of us have ever heard of.
    Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd be interested in finding more information about fey as well.

As for elves... 4E obviously deems them fey enough. They are fey, under the new rules. Or at least "considered" fey, for the purpose of spells, effects, weapons that effect fey and such. I guess that's pretty much the same as outright saying they are fey, but make what you will out of it.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

First and foremost, do you have any particular edition you're looking for?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The 3.5 Ravenloft sourcebook "Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey" is pretty cool in terms of fey material. It's not all universal, but even the stuff that is bound up in the Ravenloft setting could easily be adapted for other uses. It does focus on the creepier aspects of fey like bewitching mortals or stealing children, but it's still a great fey resource.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

In the Wotc archives, you can "Fey Features", articles about fey, their courts and the like. Google it.

Sadly, barring this, and the fluff of particular races, there is not a sourcebook for Fey among Wotc products like there is Draconomincon for Dragons and Lords of Madness for Aberrations.

BTW, I love fey and I found it very and .

I could have appreciated a splat about Fey, and one about Giants.

At leats, one with both...
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    In the Wotc archives, you can "Fey Features", articles about fey, their courts and the like. Google it.

Sadly, barring this, and the fluff of particular races, there is not a sourcebook for Fey among Wotc products like there is Draconomincon for Dragons and Lords of Madness for Aberrations.

BTW, I love fey and I found it very and .

I could have appreciated a splat about Fey, and one about Giants.

At leats, one with both...
    Yeah, but fey features has some good stuff to sink your teeth into. I used it, Half Fey, and Warlock to create a character who's entire goal was to be accepted by the Courts of Faerie...
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not a big Fey person. Unintelligible chaos bugs me.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

You can go with realworld mythological background since it's quite congruent with the D&D mythos surrounding the fey; there's a few excellent works on the world of the fey. E.g. Greenish (from these boards) listed some in an earlier thread on the subject: "The Ladies of Grace Adieu", "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell" by Susanna Clarke and "Stardust" by Neil Gaiman. Also, Pratchett's "Lords and Ladies" of course, from more familiar fantasy literature. I can't say much on the formers as I haven't read them, but chances are they'll give one some insight to what they fey world may look like. And yeah, Fey Features is a must-read.

Overall, they're a hugely interesting part of the world, but there's so little on them simply because they mostly reside the material plane and thus haven't gotten their own planar description; a coexistent "fey world" akin to the Plane of Shadow or the Ethereal Plane would make all sorts of sense though. But that's not congruent with how they're officially intended, I guess.

And far as I'm concerned, Elves are fey. I mean, what, almost eternally lived nature-connected creatures with strong magical tendencies and decidedly chaotic demeanor? That's "fey" in a nutshell. The whole "ethereal beauty" and "enchanting presence"-parts pretty much underline that.

And when we look at the mythological backgrounds of D&D Elves, yeah, they pretty much are made based off the fey (and Tolkien Elves, which are most decidedly fey).

The mentioned Fey Features Archive.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-04-08 at 06:57 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

14. - Top - End - #14

Manual of the Planes had rules for the Plane of Faerie. It also suggested statting Seelie & Unseelie as half-fiend and half-celestial elves.

Dragon Compendium had Seelie & Unseelie templates.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-04-08 at 06:53 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

15. - Top - End - #15

Complete Mage has a handful of Fey Heritage feats

16. - Top - End - #16

MonkGirl

4e they are considered fey, really you could considered anything native to the Fey Wild a Fey. Even say a human born there from human parents could be considered fey. Yes they wouldn't be biologically fey like evles/eladrin/drow and other creatures but the term "fey" could apply. This is actually like how we use the term "race" now days... Before WW1 WW2 race was not "white, black, hispanic, etc" but where you came from. If you were french then that was your race, if you was Kenyan (like my good friend is :D) then that was your race.

I think their should be a 4e book dedicated only to the fey, I read an article when 4e first came out that talked about the origin of 4e eladrin/elves/drow which was a pretty neat read. Apparently Lolth didn't turn the drow's skin dark the drow just done that somehow on their own to imitate her.

What would be great is if they didn't make a book on the races but made them on civilizations, a very detailed book about a drow city or even a halfling city.
    I have to give Paizo credit...

They took an established work and said they fixed it but didn't actually fix it and yet still made money off from it.

How can you beat that?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Read this

Fey are completely alien. The only difference between the Seelie and Unseelie Courts is that the Unseelie mock you while they're killing you.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

And far as I'm concerned, Elves are fey.

Silly. Elves aren't fey. ^_^

They're vermin. And should be treated as such. And by that, I mean treated like a disease. Treated with fire. Every last one.
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2010-04-08 at 08:36 AM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post

They're vermin. And should be treated as such. And by that, I mean treated like a disease. Treated with fire. Every last one.
    What's this burning hatred? Veiled with racism? Racism against a nonexisting race*?

* basing the sentence on the flawed assumption that races do exist, of course...
    Last edited by Kaiyanwang; 2010-04-08 at 08:51 AM.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

20. - Top - End - #20

Kobold

In my campaign setting, the gnomes invented and abused illusion magic so much that the other races decided to kill them all, so they were forced to retreat from the entire world and BECOME fey.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

For crunch, you're going to need to tell people what game system you're using.

For fluff, I've always quite liked Ars Magica's various Faerie supplements. The one for the pseudo-fourth edition (published by Wizards of the Coast), in particular, has whole chapters of just stories and setting info, with comparatively little space devoted to game mechanics.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Seriously, I don't get all the hate of Elves. Yes their self-important, yes they're supposedly good at everything, but so are Humans (in D&D terms anyway).
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    What's this burning hatred? Veiled with racism? Racism against a nonexisting race*?

* basing the sentence on the flawed assumption that races do exist, of course...
    Racisim? No no no. Like I said, elves are a disease, not a race.

And Kobold Bard-- They know what they did.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    Eldan loves fey, from what I've seen. He'll probably drift in here by tomorrow, posting all sorts of wonderful sources for fey that none of us have ever heard of.
    For me it's still today

But honestly? I don't know much good fey fluff online. Go look at the Fey Prestige class contest, that has some great stuff.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Racisim? No no no. Like I said, elves are a disease, not a race.

And Kobold Bard-- They know what they did.
    Care to enlighten me, because I sure as hell don't.

26. - Top - End - #26

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Seriously, I don't get all the hate of Elves. Yes their self-important, yes they're supposedly good at everything, but so are Humans (in D&D terms anyway).
    That's the thing though. If they actually ARE better than humans at everything, then it's our natural urge to try to best them by any means possible.

If they don't live up to their self-importance, then they're just asking for you to rub it in their faces and show them what worthless arrogant pricks they are.

But I digress.

The real point is that I have an entire trade depot full of amontillado for any elves who want some! Just step right past the floodgate and don't mind the dwarf standing ready with that lever that doesn't seal the room or release magma at all.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Care to enlighten me, because I sure as hell don't.
    Drow Tales comes to mind, but that's the Drow's fault... though they are a technical sub breed of elf.

Is still largely unreasonable, just go read the shadowmoor books. >_>

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

For one of the Vote Up a Monster contests, I statted up a Changeling that was heavily based on mythology, & not that Eberron thing (changeling-in-name-only). It's a fey that swaps out babies with its own kind, which grow up to do the same thing, basically. I consider it my best VUAM monster, & possible the best monster that I've ever created. It was a miracle that the votes allowed me to stat them just right.

29. - Top - End - #29

Dear sir, you have your terms confused here. You are speaking of gnomes, sir. But you are forgiven this one time; after all, the races share some mythological origin so it's a very human-like error. I understand one cannot choose, in which race one is born and as such, blood cannot be held accountable.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-04-08 at 10:31 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

There's a whole bunch of fey creatures described on wotc, including flavour. If you use the monster finder in my sig and select type=fey you'll find them.