New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Best fluff of all the 3.5 And 4th books?

I'm pretty convinced it's the Tome of Magic for 3.5, but it's harder to pick in 4e. It's either the PHB or the first Draconomicon. What do you guys think?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Best fluff of all the 3.5 And 4th books?

Please elaborate what you want to hear from us?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think the fluff on Chaos Magic (3.0 and Mongoose, but whatever. SUBVERTED.) is fantastic. The book itself was obviously playtested and proofread by a bunch of anemic spider monkeys on heroine, but the fluff is awesome.
    Last edited by Dr Bwaa; 2010-04-09 at 03:16 PM.
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

"Best fluff" is very subjective, but I agree that Tome of Magic is very nice in this regard.

This is especially jarring with regards to the Truenamer - the most bizarre combination of excellent fluff and horrible mechanics I've ever seen.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

4e, I'd have to say Psionics, because being the world's autoimmune response to the Far Realms because The Burning Hate opened the door to them is pretty neat.

3.5... going with Pact magic (ToM), screw your complex learnings and elaborate gestures, I'mma get magics the easy way!
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    4e, I'd have to say Psionics, because being the world's autoimmune response to the Far Realms because The Burning Hate opened the door to them is pretty neat.
    I agree, that was a very nice part of 4e.

3.5... going with Pact magic (ToM), screw your complex learnings and elaborate gestures, I'mma get magics the easy way!
    Easy? Binders give the DM a license to screw with them at every opportunity. You can be forced to roleplay the binding check, and suffer the penalties for a poor performance.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Tome of Magic, hands freaking down. After that, Lost Empires of Faerun, for having such an amazingly rich and detailed history that was somehow engaging at the same time.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Easy? Binders give the DM a license to screw with them at every opportunity. You can be forced to roleplay the binding check, and suffer the penalties for a poor performance.
    The fluff on binding is very specific on that it is remarkably easy to do, all you need to do is squiggle a pattern on the floor and call out a name, if you're worthy, they appear.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

9. - Top - End - #9

I'm not at all familiar with 4e, so could someone elaborate on this for me?
    Common sense is not so common.

Nanfoodle the Maverick, Conjurer of expensive tricks

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    You make sense in an annoying way.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash View Post
    I'm not at all familiar with 4e, so could someone elaborate on this for me?
    tl;dr

Mysterious gate out in the astral sea, guarded by something neither God nor Primordial. Pelor, Ioun, and an unnamed god sneak past the guardian and peek into the gate. They end up swearing to never speak of what they saw, or to seek out the gate.

Some time later, one of those three came back and killed the guardian, which woke up the gate. Cue Far Realm invasion, which was stopped by shattering the gate, destroying Pelor's divine realm in the process.

After this, psionics began to appear in the world. Nobody knows for sure why, but the most popular theory is that it's reality's way of fighting off the unreality of the Far Realm.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2010-04-09 at 04:22 PM.
    Swoop Falcon

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

The fluff on binding is very specific on that it is remarkably easy to do, all you need to do is squiggle a pattern on the floor and call out a name, if you're worthy, they appear.
    Yes, you are guaranteed the pact. You are not guaranteed a good pact however, and a bad pact at the wrong time can make your life (and your party's) considerably difficult.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Yes, you are guaranteed the pact. You are not guaranteed a good pact however, and a bad pact at the wrong time can make your life (and your party's) considerably difficult.
    There are the occasional complications, yes, but it is still far easier than spending years learning to fling bat poo.
    Swoop Falcon

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

In the section of PHB3 on how the psionic power source came into being, it mentions the Living Gate, first found by Pelor, and woken by Ioun. It had a guadian, but a third nameless god distracted the guardian so all three could catch a glimpse through the Living Gate.

They took a vow never to speak of what they saw.

At some point later, in the Dawn War between the gods and the primordials, one of three (assumed by scholars to probably be the nameless god) returned and killed the guardian, causing the Living Gate to open.

The resulting eruption of energy (and alien invasion) destroyed several astral realms before Pelor & Ioun shattered the gate (at the cost of Pelor's verdant dominion)

Around this time, psionic powers first started to be seen.

Of the several theories as to why:

"Others, including most practicioners of the psionic arts, believe that their power is the world's response to the intrusion of the Far Realm, similar to a mortal body's reaction to disease"

So, it is one theory. There are others though.

EDIT: Ninjaed.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-04-09 at 04:26 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

14. - Top - End - #14

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Tome of Magic, hands freaking down. After that, Lost Empires of Faerun, for having such an amazingly rich and detailed history that was somehow engaging at the same time.
    Gonna second this opinion and add the forgotten realms campaign setting for i have spent nights reading this book for almost 10 years

Complete Shadow Magic! for Pathfinder Rules. (Google Docs PDF)
    Newest: Shadowcaster Archetypes
    WIP:Wordcasting Shadowcaster

Previous games: Life in Hell
    as Moira

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Forgotten Realms sourcebooks in general tend to be fun (even though which have not-so-good rules).
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Forgotten Realms sourcebooks in general tend to be fun (even though which have not-so-good rules).
    It's a byproduct of one man giving his life to the world (Ed Greenwood). If you give a single thing that level of dedication, it's gonna turn out very intricate and detailed, which is awesome to read and learn about.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Personally I like Magic of Incarnum.

Yes I just hit you with my soul, you have a problem with that?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

There are the occasional complications, yes, but it is still far easier than spending years learning to fling bat poo.
    Bat poo becomes remarkably normal next to some of the squick Binders have to deal with.

Oh, and the more I read of Eberron, the more I like it, as well.
    Last edited by Optimystik; 2010-04-09 at 04:53 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Tome of Battle.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Not a whole book, but my favorite bit of D&D Fluff of all time is the explanation in RoTW for why a race that worships a Lawful Good deity like the halflings tends to produce so many thieves and scoundrels.

Seems that back in the day, Yondalla had a bit of a naughty side (not like that, you pervs). When it came time for her to create a race, she couldn't decide what their theme would be, so she stole the bits she liked from all of the other races (adaptability from humans, courage from orcs, loyalty from dwarves, free-spiritedness from elves, etc) and infused them in a pixie to create the first halfling.

The other gods were ticked off that she had robbed them, but Yondalla smooth talked them out of punishing her by claiming she just did it because all their ideas were just so darn good. So all the gods did was force her to to remove the larcenous streak from her own personality, leaving her pure LG forevermore.

She did, and it became a deity itself named Dallah Thaun. DT is Chaotic Neutral, but because she is from a part of Yondalla they share the same thoughts and memories. They are literally two side of the same being.

So ever since halflings have been able to be CN while claiming with a straight face (even under magical compulsion) that they worship a lawful good goddess. That is an awesome explanation for their cultural tendencies, and one reason I love playing halflings.
    Last edited by Starscream; 2010-04-09 at 04:59 PM.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Not a whole book, but my favorite bit of D&D Fluff of all time is the explanation in RoTW for why a race that worships a Lawful Good deity like the halflings tends to produce so many thieves and scoundrels.

Seems that back in the day, Yondalla had a bit of a naughty side (not like that, you pervs). When it came time for her to create a race, she couldn't decide what their theme would be, so she stole the bits she liked from all of the other races (adaptability from humans, courage from orcs, loyalty from dwarves, free-spiritedness from elves, etc) and infused them in a pixie to create the first halfling.

The other gods were ticked off that she had robbed them, but Yondalla smooth talked them out of punishing her by claiming she just did it because all their ideas were just so darn good. So all the gods did was force her to to remove the larcenous streak from her own personality, leaving her pure LG forevermore.

She did, and it became a deity itself named Dalla Thaun. DT is Chaotic Neutral, but because she is from a part of Yondalla they share the same thoughts and memories. They are literally two side of the same being.

So ever since halflings have been able to be CN while claiming with a straight face (even under magical compulsion) that they worship a lawful good goddess. That is an awesome explanation for their cultural tendencies, and one reason I love playing halflings.
    That is awesome.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I rather liked Races of the Dragon (for the Kobold fluff, dang why did they not do the same with Orcs / Goblins). The Lords of Madness is always a good read, as well as both Fiendish codex'es (part 2 more then part 1, but both are good).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Best fluff? Hard to say, I have a firm belief there's no such thing as "good fluff" anyway. But I know I really liked the preface to Magic of Faerun in which Khelben Arunsun explained that magic is neither a tool nor a toy and that he despises those who use it as such. That's for 3rd edition. I know little about 4ed fluff, but I like the primordials vs. gods thing from the core books.
    Last edited by Morty; 2010-04-09 at 05:27 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Best fluff? Hard to say, I have a firm belief there's no such thing as "good fluff" anyway. But I know I really liked the preface to Magic of Faerun in which Khelben Arunsun explained that magic is neither a tool nor a toy and that he despises those who use it as such. That's for 3rd edition. I know little about 4ed fluff, but I like the primordials vs. gods thing from the core books.
    There's another option?
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    There's another option?
    An ally maybe? I've never read it, but this seems like what it's getting at.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Khelben feels that magic is an art form, and should be respected as such. His logic is that since magic in Faerun directly stems from a god (who was once a human woman), one should respect it as you would a king or dragon, not abuse it for your own ends. Use it with respect, treat it as an art. There's a reason the Realms calls arcane magic The Art, after all.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-04-09 at 06:26 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Khelben feels that magic is an art form, and should be respected as such. His logic is that since magic in Faerun directly stems from a god (who was once a human woman), one should respect it as you would a king or dragon, not abuse it for your own ends. Use it with respect, treat it as an art. There's a reason the Realms calls arcane magic The Art, after all.
    If thats the case? why does the most abusive arcane magic using class comes from the realms? I am talking about Incantrix

Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Because the Incantrix is the pinnacle of Abjuration as an art form? Think about it. An Incantrix can make spells do anything they want, can twist and reshape them to their will. That's basically being an artist who can visualize anything they wish, and then make it a reality using only paint and a canvas, and do so masterfully. Just, instead of paint the Incantrix uses magic, and instead of canvas, they use the world.

Really, explaining things is easy. Mechanically, the Incantrix is crazy powerful, and often times waaaaaay overkill for a given game, but flavorfully, they work perfectly.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

<awesome way to explain Incantrix fluff>

:openmouth:.... wow... never thought of incantrix as such... kudos to you arguskos
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Ain't hard. I could probably represent most any arcane PrC from the Realms in such a light. However, note that not everyone in the Realms holds Khelben's views, though many powerful mages do. This means that not every PrC is going to be that way. Red Wizard sure isn't. Neither would be something like... Magelord, for example.