New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Items every DM should have?

I'm just about to buy a pound o' dice on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Chessex-Dice-P...1038235&sr=8-1 <--This for my DMing and was wondering if anyone else knew of worthwhile investments. (I assumed a literal pound of dice would be good for anyone not properly stocked at the table.)

Other things I'm considering are a screen, a map, and figurines(not the expensive ones, but maybe buy some cheap bulk, generic figures if I can find some).

Anybody else have suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    Wow. You must be at least... 5000 years old. Probably even more! ;)

Do you like reading? Then check out my personal site dedicated to my fiction writing! The more interest/comments I get, the more writings I'll put on there! Thanks
    https://sites.google.com/site/writingsofanauthor/

Did you participate in my psyc research? PM me any questions you have and I'll try to answer them!
    Results

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Items every DM should have?

Buy him a set of Steelsqwire templates. They make casting spells with areas VERY easily when put on a battlemat with minis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Buy him a set of Steelsqwire templates. They make casting spells with areas VERY easily when put on a battlemat with minis.
    A cheap alternative if you're the do it yourself type is to make these out of pipe cleaners. As an easily distracted player I can also attest that forming pipe cleaner templates gives my hands something to do without using up any brainpower.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I've bought two of those pound-o-dice. The first slowly dwindled away. They're awsome, they should give you all the dice you need.

Be sure to get some wet-erase markers, I buy Vis-a-Vis, for the map.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Interesting ideas. I went ahead and ordered the pound o' dice so we'll see how that turns out. I might look into some pipe cleaners for AoE--I like that idea . I'm still unsure what I want to do about miniatures or maps. Drawing them sounds okay(for the maps)...but my artistic ability is...well...nil. XD

I was thinking this --> http://www.amazon.com/Assorted-Dunge...1040330&sr=8-1 for some miniatures but I'm not sure(I'm a cheapskate so given the choice I'd usually just buy a pack of army miniatures[that is, if I could find the medieval equivalent]).

Do you like reading? Then check out my personal site dedicated to my fiction writing! The more interest/comments I get, the more writings I'll put on there! Thanks

Did you participate in my psyc research? PM me any questions you have and I'll try to answer them!
    Results

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The Combat Pad has proved really handy at our games...so simple, yet so functional.

Also, Play Doh is great for putting obstacles and objects onto a grid map.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

A portable white board. Great for impromptu illustrations, initiative orders, anything the whole group needs to see and is transitory (an amazingly large amount of stuff, honestly). Really, I cannot DM anymore without a white board.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    The Combat Pad has proved really handy at our games...so simple, yet so functional.
    Useful looking tool. So easily made with a laminated section of tin sheeting and magnetic tape...
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

one-week's rations

they should be as follows:
    Cheetos- 1 bag
    Doritos, cooler ranch- 1 bag
    Dortios, Nacho Cheesier- 2 bags
    Doritos, Spicier Nacho- 1 bag
    Mt Dew- 24 cans
    Dr Pepper- 24 Cans
    Cherry Coke- 12 cans (DM only)
    Pizza Bites (variety, some people are vegetarian or something)- 200 rolls
    Cheez-Its- 2 boxes
    Gin- 2 bottles

that should last you a few sessions
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

10. - Top - End - #10

This thread has led to me successfully mooching money for a Pound o' Dice off my mum.

Me: Hey, look, a Pound o' Dice!
    Mom: Oh no... How much?
    Me: Incl. shipping? 30$, american.
    Mom: How much are dice normally?
    Me: 8-9$ for 7. Also, birthday in 2 weeks.
    Mom: ...fine.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sofawall View Post
    This thread has led to me successfully mooching money for a Pound o' Dice off my mum.

Me: Hey, look, a Pound o' Dice!
    Mom: Oh no... How much?
    Me: Incl. shipping? 30$, american.
    Mom: How much are dice normally?
    Me: 8-9$ for 7. Also, birthday in 2 weeks.
    Mom: ...fine.
    Haha! Well played! My B-day is in about two weeks also(30th). I'm hoping a pound's worth of dice to be enough to get quite a nifty variety of shapes/styles/colors. Good luck with the absurd amount of dice you will soon have--I'm always glad to aid in enabling someone's DnD addiction(inadvertently or no).

Edit: And @Combat Pad--it seems like it could be certainly useful. But I dunno if I want to shell out $20 for what I usually scrawl on pen and paper. Others' thoughts on its potential usefulness?
    Last edited by Protecar; 2010-04-11 at 10:33 PM.

Results

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Melayl View Post
    Useful looking tool. So easily made with a laminated section of tin sheeting and magnetic tape...
    Oh yeah, not denying it would be easy to make one yourself, but one of the guys bought one at our FLGS and we've been hooked on it ever since.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

A notebook and pencils to keep track of information (backstory plus whatever you make up on the fly)

A laptop with wifi connection for quick wikipedia consultations when necessary

Playdough for weird shapes that might come up, like a custom designed wall of stone

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

A plush DMG, to throw at munchkins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    A plush DMG, to throw at munchkins.
    You reminded me of something I've wanted for ages: a jumbo foam d20. Not only does it seem ideal for super-critical die rolls, but it would be perfect for chucking at someone.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Protecar View Post
    Edit: And @Combat Pad--it seems like it could be certainly useful. But I dunno if I want to shell out $20 for what I usually scrawl on pen and paper. Others' thoughts on its potential usefulness?
    Spend $5 and get a white board. SERIOUSLY. They are so unbelievably amazingly awesometastic, you don't even know.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

A portable idea capturing device. You need to be able to write down all your interesting fight/NPC/plot/puzzle ideas. This needs to be done quickly no matter where you are. I leave myself voice notes with my iPhone. Before I got that I carried around a notebook all the time while I was planning a game. Good ideas are too infrequent to lose due to not being able to store them somewhere.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    A portable idea capturing device. You need to be able to write down all your interesting fight/NPC/plot/puzzle ideas. This needs to be done quickly no matter where you are. I leave myself voice notes with my iPhone. Before I got that I carried around a notebook all the time while I was planning a game. Good ideas are too infrequent to lose due to not being able to store them somewhere.
    Nice. I have that issue of lost inspiration too often. Thanks.

@arguskos: any particular brands for markers/white boards? I would like to get ones that erase nice and clean.

Results

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Man, $20 for a pound of dice? Can't beat that....and that combat board? Amazing!

How did I not know about these deals? *uses his cell to call his assistant* Gerald? I want you to immediately kill yourself, then order me three Pounds-o-Dice!
    Drow Samurai avatar by Ranger Mattos!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Protecar View Post
    Nice. I have that issue of lost inspiration too often. Thanks.

@arguskos: any particular brands for markers/white boards? I would like to get ones that erase nice and clean.
    Any white board works honestly. As for markers, I like Marks-a-Lot as a brand. They're damn good, and if you don't let them sit too long on the board, it wipes off with ease.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Spend $5 and get a white board. SERIOUSLY. They are so unbelievably amazingly awesometastic, you don't even know.
    Combine the best of both worlds...get a metallic based whiteboard and some dry erasable fridge magnets to sick on it.