New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Good aligned Eternal life?

Okay, is there any way to get eternal life and remain good short of becoming a God in D&D 3.5? Or at least Very long lived?

Also, Is there any way to get third level arcane spells which include haste without going through five ore more levels in an arcane spellcasting class? I don't expect a yes but I figured I'd ask.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-04-11 at 09:11 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Good aligned Eternal life?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Okay, is there any way to get eternal life and remain good short of becoming a God in D&D 3.5? Or at least Very long lived?
    Deathless? Polymorph Any Object into Elan? Just Reincarnate every couple of hundred years? Live on a Timeless Plane (careful never to leave tho)? Become a Construct? Honestly, there's a billion means. Most of them do involve tons of powerful magic tho. Reincarnations or True Mind Switches are the most affordable. Magic Jar too, I guess.

Also, Is there any way to get third level arcane spells which include haste without going through five ore more levels in an arcane spellcasting class? I don't expect a yes but I figured I'd ask.
    Well, (controlled) White Dragonspawn Loredrake Dragonwrought Kobold can get it at level 3 with buyoff. Probably not the answer you were looking for, but there you go. And yeah, there are others. Versatile Spellcaster on e.g. Beguiler, for one. Any Haste-casting capable class that knows their whole list, really.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-04-11 at 09:13 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The Deathless from Eberron and BoED are pretty much good undead. I think there's a good lich in Monsters of Faerun or some other Forgotten Realms book.

There are a few ways to get haste. Clerics can get it via domain. Trapsmiths get it as a 1st level spell. If you're a spontaneous caster, Drakehelm it.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Add warforged to the list above

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Cloud Anchorite from It's Cold Outside lives forever. On the other hand, it's easiest to enter as a monk.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Baelnorns are good aligned elven liches.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Elan are the best ever~
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Lower levels arcane spells are usually a drag, but lower level psionic powers are often just higher ones waiting to be augmented.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    And yeah, there are others. Versatile Spellcaster on e.g. Beguiler, for one. Any Haste-casting capable class that knows their whole list, really.
    If the DM rules that Versatile Spellcaster does not grant you knowledge of higher level spells, you can still cast it off runestaves. A Sorcerer with level 2 spells can therefore cast haste in a similiar manner.

If you use the White Dragonspawn Loredrake Dragonwrought Kobold Sorcerer as described above with Runestaves, you might even be able to pull it off at ECL 2: Sorcerer 1/LA 1.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Elan or Deathless might work.

I Highly doubt my DM would allow white Dragonspawn though.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-04-11 at 09:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

In libris mortis (IIRC) there is a good lich, it is at LA 5, I suppose because it gives you turning immunity,
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Immortality Handbook

You're welcome

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I first must ask why would you want to be immortal?

For evil characters the answer is obvious they spent a lifetime building their evil empire and naturally they don't want to lose that to a silly little thing like death. Or for any number of other selfish reasons.

So on its own a quest for immortality is inherently selfish, unless you have some purpose or reason to live forever, beyond simply not wanting to die.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    If the DM rules that Versatile Spellcaster does not grant you knowledge of higher level spells, you can still cast it off runestaves. A Sorcerer with level 2 spells can therefore cast haste in a similiar manner.

If you use the White Dragonspawn Loredrake Dragonwrought Kobold Sorcerer as described above with Runestaves, you might even be able to pull it off at ECL 2: Sorcerer 1/LA 1.
    Well one would need to use a slot granting combination before using the runestaff.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    I first must ask why would you want to be immortal?

For evil characters the answer is obvious they spent a lifetime building their evil empire and naturally they don't want to lose that to a silly little thing like death. Or for any number of other selfish reasons.

So on its own a quest for immortality is inherently selfish, unless you have some purpose or reason to live forever, beyond simply not wanting to die.
    Someone has to spend a lifetime tearing down that evil empire right?
    You are my God.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Generally, the motivations are:

Good: To protect something/remain vigilant against an omnipresent threat. Here immortality represents a sacrifice - the good character forgoes their eternal reward in the afterlife in order to uphold a duty.

Evil: To avoid karmic retribution for misdeeds, while seeking new heights of power. Here, immortality represents an attempt to cheat the cosmos.

Neutral: To perfect a skill, art form, or talent, free from the limitations of morality. Here, living forever is a way to maximize one's potential and discover the limits of possibility.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I like the looks of deathless but I don't really know how to apply it to a race. Do I get rid of the race's normal features and replace them with the Deathless's? Also, do the features of Deathless override the features of classes I'll be taking or do I only use whichever would be higher? so for example I was a deathless fighter, would I still only get half BAB? (I won't be using it for a fighter, this is just an example.)
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-04-12 at 11:23 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

From my understanding, Deathless is just a good version of Undead, powered by positive energy instead of negative energy.

Another undead option:
    The 3.0 book Ghostwalk (which I believe has an online update to 3.5) lets you be undead PCs of any alignment. I'm not sure how useful it compares to others for optimization, but a Ghostwalk PC could be a way to be eternal (though not alive) and good.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Green Star Adept. But then you'd be a Green Star Adept for all eternity.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

There isn't, because eventually you'll need to commit genocide against Maruts and that would be pretty evil.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Green Star Adept. But then you'd be a Green Star Adept for all eternity.
    This character, if I ever play him that is, is already taking swiftblade.

I don't need MORE lost casting levels. Also, if I wanted the abilities of a green star adept I could just use a warforged.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    How is it selfish, if you achieve immortality in a way that doesn't harm anyone? Good characters can do things for themselves too, you know, not just for the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    There isn't, because eventually you'll need to commit genocide against Maruts and that would be pretty evil.
    I'd say that killing Lawful Stupid creatures in self-defense doesn't count as evil.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2010-04-12 at 12:05 PM.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I am thinking Chameleon might get Haste at level 3. Is that true? Also, possibly Suel Arcanamach.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I'm at a loss to remember what book this was in, but I vaguely remember seeing a feat for epic-leveled characters - something like "Eternal Champion" - where the character would no longer actually die, just keep getting reborn. (Maybe I'm thinking of something in 4e?) Anyway, there were a few other things right next to it that had similar effects.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    I'm at a loss to remember what book this was in, but I vaguely remember seeing a feat for epic-leveled characters - something like "Eternal Champion" - where the character would no longer actually die, just keep getting reborn. (Maybe I'm thinking of something in 4e?) Anyway, there were a few other things right next to it that had similar effects.
    There's a web enhancement with 3.5e versions of what 4e calls "Epic Destinies" or some such. Basically, taking one at 21 replaces your Epic Feats until 30. All of them involve some kind of immortality.

I like the looks of deathless but I don't really know how to apply it to a race. Do I get rid of the race's normal features and replace them with the Deathless's? Also, do the features of Deathless override the features of classes I'll be taking or do I only use whichever would be higher? so for example I was a deathless fighter, would I still only get half BAB? (I won't be using it for a fighter, this is just an example.)
    Deathless is a type, not a race. What you're talking about are Deathless RHD, which you want to avoid. I'm pretty sure you'd have to homebrew a new race with the Deathless type...
    Last edited by DragoonWraith; 2010-04-12 at 12:49 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    How is it selfish, if you achieve immortality in a way that doesn't harm anyone? Good characters can do things for themselves too, you know, not just for the others.

Depends on how you define the word.

If you define "doing something selfish" as "doing something for the self"- yes, a Good character can do that.

If you define doing something selfish as "doing something that helps the self to the detriment of others" then no, a Good character can't generally do this. They might get away with it once in a while, but repeatedly behaving this way wouldn't fit with Good.

Some people say the word "selfish" contains this "to the detriment of others" within its concept- you can't do selfish things, or be a selfish person, and not be harming others.

Others prefer the older meaning - "anything that benefits the self"- with no requirement that it harm others.

In 2nd ed, Chaotic Good characters were described in the PHB as "selfish but good-hearted"- implying the latter meaning- a person who tends to do things for themselves (but with no "to the detriment of others" required).
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-04-12 at 01:12 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

"Doing something good for you, to the detriment of others" is the definition of selfish most people go with, and it's also the one I go with. Acts that do something good for you, but don't hurt others, aren't evil.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Of course, it's not a requirement that selfish be synonymous with Evil. The example given, of 2nd ed D&D CG characters being both "selfish" and "good-hearted" might fit.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post

I'd say that killing Lawful Stupid creatures in self-defense doesn't count as evil.
    Agreed.

Not your fault they can't take a hint. Besides, they'd eventually be killed by litches anyway.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Of course, it's not a requirement that selfish be synonymous with Evil. The example given, of 2nd ed D&D CG characters being both "selfish" and "good-hearted" might fit.
    I'd say that's either because it used the other, non-malicious definition of selfish, or because AD&D's alignment table was freakin' crazy.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

I suspect it was the non-malicious definition (which I generally prefer).

2nd ed did have some alignment description flaws (Neutral attacking whichever side (Good or Evil) is more powerful at the moment, Chaotic Neutral being just crazy).

The "non-malicious selfish" person would risk themselves for others, not because "it's right" but because they stand to gain from it- gain reputation, gain someone in their debt (thus, a favor can be called in when it's needed) and in general be a bit glory hungry, but still basically likely to help people a lot, even at cost to themselves.

Sounds like the way a lot of people play Good adventurers.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-04-12 at 01:42 PM.