New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default [3.5] VoP feat overload

Has anyone ever managed to find a use for all eleven exalted feats for a VoP character that starts at level 1? Every time I play with a build that includes it I have more feat slots than applicable feats.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] VoP feat overload

Yeah I'm always pushing it as well.
    Remember there are few more exalted feats in some of the FR books that can come in handy.
    I've filled a 18th level Exalted feat slot with "Homeland Defender" before (+1 to AC when fighting on home soil). lol.
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Awesome Avatar made by Meirnon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

3. - Top - End - #3

Not really. Especially for a noncaster.

Theoretically, a Monk qualifies for two that other characters can't use (the third happens to have an error). The ones that give a bonus to damage against Evil creatures. But this involves being a Monk.

Really, this is why Evil wins. Devoting yourself to an Elder Evil means you have access to 5 Vile feats that are generic enough that any class can make use of them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oddly, the text reads bonus feat rather than bonus exalted feat, except at first level. Perhaps this could be taken to mean VoP grants ten bonus feats?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    Oddly, the text reads bonus feat rather than bonus exalted feat, except at first level. Perhaps this could be taken to mean VoP grants ten bonus feats?
    No they are all Exalted feats. It does mention it somewhere. lol.
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Awesome Avatar made by Meirnon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

6. - Top - End - #6

Text trumping table and all that.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiyamato View Post
    No they are all Exalted feats. It does mention it somewhere. lol.
    only in the table.. so "At 1st level, an ascetic gets a bonus exalted feat, and another bonus feat at 2nd level and every 2 levels thereafter." is ambiguous or 'another bonus feat' really means 'another bonus exalted feat' by RAW?
    Last edited by noiadodh; 2010-04-12 at 08:52 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm inclined to think they meant exalted, but what character can use eleven exalted feats without taking five or six Vows?
    Last edited by Trekkin; 2010-04-12 at 08:53 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Someone better versed in english grammer will come along and confirm this, but it has something to do with the rules for listing. Just like you can condense:

Brown shoes, brown hat, brown jacket, and brown scarf

to

Brown shoes, hat, jacket, and scarf

And still retain the same meaning, everything is brown. In math, we call this factoring.

So yea, exalted all the way through.
    BTW, don't take it! ITS A TARP!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Someone better versed in english grammer will come along and confirm this, but it has something to do with the rules for listing. Just like you can condense:

Brown shoes, brown hat, brown jacket, and brown scarf

to

Brown shoes, hat, jacket, and scarf

And still retain the same meaning, everything is brown. In math, we call this factoring.

So yea, exalted all the way through.
    BTW, don't take it! ITS A TARP!
    FYI, the English behind that second one only implies that the shoes are brown. The only assumption in the English language is the word "You", and even then only in specific circumstances.

Commas in the wrong place alter the meaning of a sentence dramatically. This comes up in legal issues; there was a lawsuit a while back about an inheritance that was being divided between three people. Poor grammar (read: an omitted comma) caused one person to receive 10K, and the other two involved to receive 5K each (rather than the intended 10K to all three). The remainder of the inheritance was donated to a charity.

Proper English: Shoes, hat, coat, and pants, all brown. RAW, VoP's Exalted restriction applies only to the first bonus feat, but the intent is that it applies to all of the bonus feats. The Devs didn't think that a feat like Chosen of the Stars would be considered crap, so they expected everyone to take the feats that could potentially apply to their characters (including the other Sacred Vows, as Apostle of Peace shows).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The problem is it's both ambiguous and extremely illogical to take the lingually normal answer. It can be read, and is usually read, as outlined above, but that leaves everyone with useless feats. The alternative reading is to read the text as exalted feat, bonus feat, etc, which brings Vow of Poverty into equivalent power again and simultaneously stops the feat overload problem.

Ah, it's been explained far more completely above. Well then, off to fix feat overload...
    Last edited by Trekkin; 2010-04-12 at 09:08 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Ah, it's been explained far more completely above. Well then, off to fix feat overload...
    Want help? I've been wanting to take some stabs at the various alignment-restricting feats for a while (I just don't want to do the Sacred Vows personally, as all of them are a bit heavy-handed).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I was actually going to use VoP for a Totemist with Int and Cha 3 (Incarnate Arctic Wild Half-Minotaur Mineral Warrior Warforged for base Con 28) to represent his being so insanely simple-minded that he can't grasp that items have worth but just together enough to understand it makes other people happy to have them. I started trying to make a character too dumb to kill, and it's morphed into Incarnum Godzilla-Lennie (Of Mice and Men).

This is, however, purely a theoretical optimization idea to see how high I could bump Con and dump Int.
    Last edited by Trekkin; 2010-04-12 at 09:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

"Tell me about the Tibbits again, George."
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Exalted got less love than almost any other mechanic/subsystem in 3.5 - heck, even Pact Magic got a couple of token nods in other supplements. Vile got waaay more...HoH, EE, EoE just to mention a few...

It wouldn't be such an issue if WoTC had thrown a few extra feats into other supplements...now the only answer is homebrew.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, there's a pretty simple answer. Just use any vile feat as an exalted after a brief reflavor. Heavens knows that Pelor won't mind.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

On the subject of the Vow of Poverty, could it apply to the caretaker of a blatantly magical place?

An immortal spellcaster ascetic dedicates his life to the maintenance of an ancient, now entirely unoccupied magical college/holy cathedral, depending on whether he's arcane or divine in nature. While he constantly rebuilds, maintains, repairs, and recharges all of the special features of the location, he never believes that he "owns" the place, simply that he is the rightful caretaker until it becomes occupied once more. When threatened, he calls upon the location to defend itself, but does not actively order/use the embedded powers. He calls upon legions of animated armor or turns on automated spell turrets, but does nothing as presumptuous as picking up a holy sword or magic staff and using it against the interlopers.

In his spare time, he reads and memorizes the endless books and scriptures held in the libraries.

Does this fall under the Vow?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    It wouldn't be such an issue if WoTC had thrown a few extra feats into other supplements...now the only answer is homebrew.
    Speaking of that... has there been any effort towards that on the homebrew front?

My VoP Swordsage just ding-ed to the 10th level, and I'm completely out of non-crap Exalted feats.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

We just established they're not necessarily exalted feats.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Actually, there's a pretty simple answer. Just use any vile feat as an exalted after a brief reflavor. Heavens knows that Pelor won't mind.
    This is both the most idiotic and most brilliant idea I seen this week.

Idiotic, because, ZOMG, it's the book of VILE DARKNESS. And you're MAKING IT GOOD. HERESY.

/sarcasm

Brilliant, because it WORKS. Looking past the feats that are easily mirrored (and in fact already done so as Exalted feats, such as Evil Brand becoming Nimbus of Light), the body-changing feats can be reflavored as asceticism or such in the name of good.

Claw attacks? Instead of that stupid pointless Ki-strike, your divinity channels itself into glowing fists of doom.

Deformity of an eye? Flavor seeing invisibility as "(Deity) sees everything".

The face deformity is just a generic bonus to diplomacy and intimidate with evil creatures. Call it a scar in the name of good (flagellants, hehehe) and mirror the bonuses to good creatures.

The Gaunt and Obese feats can be said to be changes in your holy demeanor - you either become willowy with grace or stout with fortitude. The other bonuses simply reflect your added aura (intimidate) or are simply natural extensions of being graceful/tough (Escape Artist/poisons).

Lichloved, though... well, call it "relations" with a good outsider instead.

Instead of being a "friend to vermin", you're just a "friend to all living creatures", and the vermin recognize this fact.

... admittedly, though, that's not that many feats in the book alone. There were quite a few other feats elsewhere, though, and I feel as though you could continue to mirror them.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    Speaking of that... has there been any effort towards that on the homebrew front?

My VoP Swordsage just ding-ed to the 10th level, and I'm completely out of non-crap Exalted feats.
    I just looked up the errata for the BoED on the offical site. Errata says absolutely nothing on the text vs. table issue, so we can deduce that text still trumps table.

Vow of Poverty states "bonus feats", not "bonus exalted feats", in the text. Okay, so it's easily understandable as the latter, but strictly speaking it doesn't have to be. Even though the table says "exalted", the text doesn't. This makes the VoP much more useful than it would normally be, when you take feats that, ya know, actually accomplish something.

(I've always recalled text trumps table, but I can't remember where their official stance is on that, if someone could dig that up.)

Now go out and accomplish something with your bonus feats, sir.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by balistafreak View Post
    (I've always recalled text trumps table, but I can't remember where their official stance is on that, if someone could dig that up.)
    "Errata Rule: Primary Sources
    When you find a disagreement between two D&D rules sources, unless an official errata file says otherwise, the primary source is correct. One example of a primary/secondary source is text taking precedence over a table entry."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Now if only there were a way to strip it of the alignment requirement. My characters tend to the psychotic, and that's not Good.

Can we make a UMD check to qualify for a feat prereq?
    Last edited by Trekkin; 2010-04-12 at 11:28 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Now if only there were a way to strip it of the alignment requirement. My characters tend to the psychotic, and that's not Good.

No. The next best thing is Abyssal Heritor feats in FC1. Devil-Touched feats in FC2 come close for Lawful guys, but not enough of them to matter and some of them require an Evil alignment.

25. - Top - End - #25

On the subject of the Vow of Poverty, could it apply to the caretaker of a blatantly magical place?

An immortal spellcaster ascetic dedicates his life to the maintenance of an ancient, now entirely unoccupied magical college/holy cathedral, depending on whether he's arcane or divine in nature. While he constantly rebuilds, maintains, repairs, and recharges all of the special features of the location, he never believes that he "owns" the place, simply that he is the rightful caretaker until it becomes occupied once more. When threatened, he calls upon the location to defend itself, but does not actively order/use the embedded powers. He calls upon legions of animated armor or turns on automated spell turrets, but does nothing as presumptuous as picking up a holy sword or magic staff and using it against the interlopers.

In his spare time, he reads and memorizes the endless books and scriptures held in the libraries.

I'd say yes.
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Taint + Worship A Vile Deity + Undead=
    TONS of free feats.

As for the whole thang about it giving you straight bonus feats, I've never met a GM who'd let that roll, so I think it's pretty much irrelevant what the actual legalistic stance on it is, particularly when it's linguistically ambiguous. And this is _me_ talking. You might as well argue that VoP allows you to use psionic items, presuming they fall into the condensed-astral-energy-set or can be fashioned into a quarterstaff, since transparency doesn't apply to feats.

In a related note, if you're interested, I have a bridge in San Fran that I'm looking to sell.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2010-04-13 at 02:23 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Everything except the reading or memorising the books is fine. RAW on Vow of Poverty, though, says "must not own or use any material possessions." By this rather asinine sentence, I suspect reading a book probably counts as using it - after all, what other principal use does a book have other than as a doorstop?

Even using the facility's defences is arguably breaking VoP, but the oath does allow you to own and use a spell component pouch, so the defences of the place might be activated with a small glass rod or something which counts as a spell component.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Technically, activating the magics of the place counts as using a magic item (no matter how large), and even reading the books violates the vow.

However, VoP is stupid and stupid and more stupid, and most DMs would at least allow you to read the books, assuming they weren't, say, Books of Exalted Deeds or something.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2010-04-13 at 02:21 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Related wonderful note:
    Are material possessions "material" if they're generated by astral projection?
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2010-04-13 at 02:26 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Everything except the reading or memorising the books is fine. RAW on Vow of Poverty, though, says "must not own or use any material possessions." By this rather asinine sentence, I suspect reading a book probably counts as using it - after all, what other principal use does a book have other than as a doorstop?
    He can have the books read to him (so long as they aren't magical.)
    Yes, this is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Exalted got less love than almost any other mechanic/subsystem in 3.5 - heck, even Pact Magic got a couple of token nods in other supplements. Vile got waaay more...HoH, EE, EoE just to mention a few...
    Because Evil is Sexy
    Also, (a) Vile had a bit more time to catch developers' eyes (since BoVD is 3.0), and (b) Vile feats are really meant to give more options to truly heinous BBEGs, so there's more design space there than making PCs "uber-good."

There's a handful in Champions of Valor. While not much to write home about, they at least beat Nimbus of Light