New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Emergency Latin Needed!

Okay, so it's not an emergency, but it got you into the thread, didn't it? :p

I'm working on a novel, and I could use a Latin translation real quick (English to Latin, that is). A recurring phrase that I want to use is "S/he died the death," or "S/he has died the death," and I'm about as proficient with linguistic dictionaries as I am with a Shaolin whip-chain. Help? Please?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Emergency Latin Needed!

First, do you want it to be he or she? It will affect the translation. Also, it'll likely end up being "He/she died death" since Latin doesn't have articles (a, the, etc.) like Greek and English has.

Which is depressing. I like articles. They make translations soooo much easier.

Sorry I wasn't much other help. If you still need it later tonight, I can look it up in my dictionaries (I've got like 3 Latin dictionaries).
    Show me how pretty the world is
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

3. - Top - End - #3

I'll need to know both translations; the phrase itself is used to identify one vampire to another in an introduction (as in, "Tyler has died the death," or ("This is my wife. She has died the death.") Thanks for offering to help!

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Been a while since I did Latin, but I think:

"Morit letum"

Morit = third person past tense of "to die".
    Letum: death, ruin, annihilation.

Alternatively:

"Morit excessum"

excessum : departure, death, digression.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    ...and I'm about as proficient with linguistic dictionaries as I am with a Shaolin whip-chain. Help? Please?
    And here I was under the impression that you were a Shaolin whip-chain master. Way to ruin all my hopes and dreams, Gareth.

Sorry I can't actually help...if it were Greek, sure, but...well...Latin. Uck.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

6. - Top - End - #6

Greek may actually see some use; for the longest time, Greek was considered a language of enlightenment and education, and it may be used for more formal occasions or introductions.

My extended homebrew sig

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Mori is deponent, arkady. That'd be moritur. That's present, anyways, and the op has asked for perfect tense.

I don't think that's the right word though for its implications with mortality and human life. That's the word for a human or an animal to die. These are vampires. I would go with a less literal word like obire like Lucretius is always using.

You could say, "Ipsam mortem obit."
    There's a number of ways you could translate the sense of the death that you want (since as Syka stated there's no articles), but ipsam is an intensifier: he/she has gone over into death itself, into very death, into the same death, that kind of thing. The death.

You don't need a pronoun for the subject, i.e. he or she. It's not necessary. You'd say, "Haec mihi uxor est. Ipsam mortem obit." (This is my wife. (She) has died the death.)

8. - Top - End - #8

My extended homebrew sig

9. - Top - End - #9

Greek

αυτός ὁμόνεκρος -- He is a companion in death.

αυτή ὁμόνεκρος -- She is a companion in death.

I'm pretty sure this is correct, but you might want to double check it with someone just to make sure. I'm slightly rusty.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

(Djinn, I would use οὗτος ὁ ὁμόνεκρος or αὗτη ἡ ὁμόνεκρος... because doesn't αυτός/αυτή mean 'the same' without an article? - and needs to have a finite verb in the nominative to function as a pronoun?)

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    (Djinn, I would use οὗτος ὁ ὁμόνεκρος or αὗτη ἡ ὁμόνεκρος... because doesn't αυτός/αυτή mean 'the same' without an article? - and needs to have a finite verb in the nominative to function as a pronoun?)
    Ah-ha! I knew there was something I was missing.

Thanks.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

12. - Top - End - #12

...Is there a way I can type that with English characters? Or get the ALT-NUM coding to make them?

If nothing else, this has seriously demonstrated how inexact an art translation is to me. All this over one freaking sentence >.<

My extended homebrew sig

13. - Top - End - #13

Closest in English characters would be "Outos o omonekros" and "Aute e omonekros," but that's not really accurate at all. I'd honestly recommend just copy-pasting, although, if you're using Word, you can access the symbols through the symbol insertion library.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I use this. You put any accents or breathing marks or what have you after the letter they're supposed to go on, and when you type the next character they automatically smoosh. The alphabet key is in the lower right hand corner. It's made my life a lot easier, I'll tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    If nothing else, this has seriously demonstrated how inexact an art translation is to me. All this over one freaking sentence >.<
    If you go with Latin, just use mine. It's the best you'll get.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2010-04-13 at 12:44 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I use this. You put any accents or breathing marks or what have you after the letter they're supposed to go on, and when you type the next character they automatically smoosh. The alphabet key is in the lower right hand corner. It's made my life a lot easier, I'll tell you.

If you go with Latin, just use mine. It's the best you'll get.
    The man speaks truth, I took two classes, and his latin is innanely better than mine.

16. - Top - End - #16

Alright, so would that phrase be used by itself? I mean, grammatical accuracy may not be entirely necessary for slang, but it'll irk readers if I'm doing it wrong. For example, would it be acceptable to say, "Jacob, this is Tyler. Ipsam mortem obit." For that matter, how would I shift that to, "I have died the death."?

My extended homebrew sig

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes that would be acceptable. The phrase stands by itself.

Change the last word to obii for I have died the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post
    The man speaks truth, I took two classes, and his latin is innanely better than mine.
    Hello, dear. Thank you.

18. - Top - End - #18

Thank'ee kindly for all the help. Mind if I shoot you a PM sometime if my Latin needs extend further?

My extended homebrew sig

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Please do.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes that would be acceptable. The phrase stands by itself.

Change the last word to obii for I have died the death.

Hello, dear. Thank you.
    No thanks needed, but your welcome none the less.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

*nostalgic sigh* For the second time in a month, my Classicist's heart is warmed by the fact that Latin and Ancient Greek are still very much alive.

(FEH! to all those who scoffed at my degree. Useless it may be for getting a job, but wonderful it is for dinner conversations and stories. )

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    (FEH! to all those who scoffed at my degree. Useless it may be for getting a job, but wonderful it is for dinner conversations and stories. )
    Damn straight! We may be destined to live in boxes all our lives, but we've got the stories and knowledge to at least make it an interesting time!

We're like the Virtuous Heathens of the business world, only instead of a wonderful abode on the first layer of hell, we have a cardboard box town in the streets.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2010-04-13 at 02:01 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    Damn straight! We may be destined to live in boxes all our lives, but we've got the stories and knowledge to at least make it an interesting time!

We're like the Virtuous Heathens of the business world, only instead of a wonderful abode on the first layer of hell, we have a cardboard box town in the streets.
    I'm attempting not to live in a box, since I'm getting my MBA, but I LOVE the looks of confusion upon peoples face when they ask my undergraduate degree.

"Classics."

"Huh?"

"Ancient Greek and Latin."

"Oh...well, uh...what could you do with that?"

"Nothing, that's why I'm getting my MBA. "

Apparently, this switcheroo wasn't a horrible idea after all. I'm hoping to get in to marketing, and both professors and professionals I've spoken with seem to be under the impression that having such a non-businessy degree is a boon for a marketer.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I'm considering getting a PhD in Linguistics after I get a PhD in my undergrad major, just so I won't fear languages any longer.

After that one? Psychology, philosophy and economics!
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    I'm considering getting a PhD in Linguistics after I get a PhD in my undergrad major, just so I won't fear languages any longer.

After that one? Psychology, philosophy and economics!
    Going for broke, eh?

Classics and Philosophy major here. Ah, St. John's College...what a wonderful little school.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    Going for broke, eh?

Classics and Philosophy major here. Ah, St. John's College...what a wonderful little school.
    No, that is after I hit it rich with my molecular biology and genetics major.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

27. - Top - End - #27

Biology frustrates my vamps to no end. They don't conform to its commonly known laws, to the point where the few scientists who are continuing those avenues of research have the nickname "Necrologists". Poor bastards.

My extended homebrew sig

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

There is a saying "You don't have to pay off student loans while you are in school, so go to school for the rest of your life!"

Not sure how this works legally, and I'm sure at some point they'll come after you for your house/car/clothes/soul, but it also fits in with another saying: "Live hard, die young".
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    There is a saying "You don't have to pay off student loans while you are in school, so go to school for the rest of your life!"

Not sure how this works legally, and I'm sure at some point they'll come after you for your house/car/clothes/soul, but it also fits in with another saying: "Live hard, die young".
    As long as your in school, you don't have to pay them. Even if you've been in school for 70 years. If you die while in school, I'm not sure if they come after your family though.

Go Tigers!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

On an only vaguely related note, anyone know where I can get a PhD in Sound Recording Technology?
    Last edited by Moff Chumley; 2010-04-16 at 12:47 PM.