New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lightbulb O-chul's mount, where is it?

I have just realized something, though I don't know if I'm the first to. Probably not.

Where is O-Chul's mount? o.o

Does he have one? I thought all paladins got SOMETHING as a mount, unless he's got some kind of alternative class setup.

What do you guys think it is, if there is one we and just haven't seen it?
    Last edited by Kaed; 2010-04-22 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Complaints about vague title

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: O-chul.

He was a fighter, before the Sapphire Guard recruited him. Then he multiclassed to paladin, which we know from the fact that he used Smite Evil.
    Last edited by Shale; 2010-04-21 at 12:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    He was a fighter, before the Sapphire Guard recruited him. Then he multiclassed to paladin, which we know from the fact that he used Smite Evil.
    Ah, point. So my question still stands. *removes the last part*

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

He clearly doesn't have enough Paladin levels to have a mount yet.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

O-chul's mount is the physical embodiment of pure awesome.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    This is probably it. Paladins don't get mounts until 5th level, and O-Chul was a fighter for 12 years before multiclassing. It's likely that most of his levels are in Fighter.

He does have at least 3 Paladin levels, because he's got the immunity to fear. Redcloak thinks so, anyway.

Edit: On the other hand, he gained a few levels since the fall of the city, so he might be entitled to one now. We haven't seen it because it hasn't been needed. If he picked the standard warhorse, it likely wouldn't have helped much during the tower escape, and it certainly wouldn't be helpful on a water trip. When they reach the Northern Continent, it might be Lien's turn to ride behind O-Chul.

edit again: In fact, that point holds whether he's always had one or not. There's been no reason to call it in any of his appearances. He's been either indoors, paralyzed, captured in a high tower, or traveling by sea.
    Last edited by Herald Alberich; 2010-04-21 at 01:25 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    This has probably been suggested before, but maybe it's a Chekhov's Gun?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

O-Chul's mount is a giant white-and-blue dragon.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

cool Re: O-chul.

O-Chul's mount is simply the world itself; being a nice guy he never unsommons it
    Or it could be the Snarl, explaining why it's not inside the world anymore . Hey! that's actually a really nice loony theory, if I can say so myself!
    Last edited by Rad; 2010-04-21 at 02:27 AM.
    Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books.
    E. G. Gygax

Lawful member of the Hinjo fanclub
    Treegrappler of the Durkon fanclub

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Erm....wouldn't we needed to have seen it already for it to be a Chekhov's Gun?
    Last edited by Velax; 2010-04-21 at 02:31 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maybe it's late and I'm cranky, but what is up with the title of this thread?

I mean really, I'm just really wondering why people love making vague titles. Why would one opt for "O-chul" as a title rather than the startlingly more descriptive "O-chul's mount" as a title?

It's not really a big deal, but it's been in a lot of threads and this one kind of got to me because a few more letters would be immensely more descriptive and yet they remain absent for reasons I don't understand. Someone help me.

Sorry if it's offensive, not intended, I'm just wondering if there is some etiquette in mysterious title-making of which I'm not aware.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Conuly View Post
    O-chul's mount is the physical embodiment of pure awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gicko View Post
    O-Chul's mount is a giant white-and-blue dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    O-Chul's mount is simply the world itself; being a nice guy he never unsommons it
    Or it could be the Snarl, explaining why it's not inside the world anymore . Hey! that's actually a really nice loony theory, if I can say so myself!
    Maybe it's late and I'm cranky too, and the first one was kinda funny, but can we not turn this into another O-Chul Facts thread? We already have one of those.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default What is O-chul's paladin mount?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Maybe it's late and I'm cranky, but what is up with the title of this thread?

I mean really, I'm just really wondering why people love making vague titles.
    Yes! Join me in a grizzle about 'Young folk and their lax posting standards. Why, back in my day, we didn't even have the internet.'

/End grizzly bit. I'm enjoying it too much.

But yes to the previous posts about 'Not having enough levels in Paladin because used to be a fighter', and it being a standard war horse sounds about right. Close enough for government work.

I think we're done here.

Oh, alright, post if you must how it may be another D&D mount, but /start grizzle/ spare me the 'He must have a really fantastic mount, 'coz he's just so darn fantastic' posts, even if posted ironically, please! It's been done. To death. /end second grizzle

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

O-Chul mount is the Monster In the Darkness. And he has already saved him once!

Once MiTD completes his role in the plot and has been fully rescued from the influence of Team Evil, O-Chul will ride him into the sunset.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2010-04-21 at 11:24 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

I highly doubt he has more than 3 paladin levels. He seems to only have 1 smite/day, and no magic to speak of.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm pretty sure O-chul has gained at least 2 levels during his acid breathing shark fights and the like and I don't see him taking any other class level.

I say O-chul took an ACF, like the Divine Spirit from Dungeonscape (The Giant was one of the writers on that one, it's where acidborn/acidborn shark came from)
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2010-04-21 at 09:00 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    I highly doubt he has more than 3 paladin levels. He seems to only have 1 smite/day, and no magic to speak of.
    Also, with Charisma being his dump stat, it's likely that he'd miss out on some of the magical Charisma-based Paladin abilities like Lay on Hands.

It had crossed my mind that maybe by the end of the comic we'll see the MitD become O-Chul's mount once it's revealed. I'm being serious here, not just saying wacky stuff for the sake of "O-Chul is awesome."

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by wrybread View Post
    Also, with Charisma being his dump stat, it's likely that he'd miss out on some of the magical Charisma-based Paladin abilities like Lay on Hands.

It had crossed my mind that maybe by the end of the comic we'll see the MitD become O-Chul's mount once it's revealed. I'm being serious here, not just saying wacky stuff for the sake of "O-Chul is awesome."
    I don't know if I believe MitD gets a happy ending. I think he'll get a heroic ending, but I have the sickening feeling that something is going to happen to him.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

A rhinoceros seems most appropriate to me. Would that be allowed?

Just seems to fit really well.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

O-Chul is O-Chul's mount himself.

21. - Top - End - #21

DrowGirl

Maybe i'm misunderstanding what you are saying, but I think you are mis-using the term Chekhov's Gun. A Chekhov's gun would be if they showed his mount in some non-conspicuous manner or as part of a very minor gag or such - some way of establishing its existance and key traits without realy calling attention to itself - and then it much later showed up to play a major role in story, especialy if its played up to use the traits displayed in its earlier appearance.

Blackwing is a good example of a Chekhov's Gun - he was introduced in a way that made people think he was a cheap gag on a DND mechanic, then ignored for a long time, and then suddenly reappeared at a very dramatic moment to have a major impact on the story.
    Last edited by Thanatosia; 2010-04-21 at 05:39 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

I just don't think O-chul has had occasion to call for his mount yet. It may be the standard warhorse, but I'm hoping for something with a little more "O-Chulness" to it.

Maybe O-chul's mount will be Chuck Norris?
    Last edited by Bongos; 2010-04-21 at 05:43 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    O-Chul mount is the Monster In the Darkness.

Once MiTD completes his role in the plot and has been fully rescued from the influence of Team Evil, O-Chul will ride him into the sunset.
    This. Although it doesn't fit well with most theories (including mine) about what the MitD is, it fits perfectly with their relationship. It's been suggested that O-Chul acquired the levels qualifying him for a mount during his imprisonment; and in that time, he formed a bond with one creature.

It also implies that he can't, at present, summon his mount, because it's imprisoned by Team Evil. When it's liberated, maybe it'll get to live in a Pokeball like the others.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatosia View Post
    Maybe i'm misunderstanding what you are saying, but I think you are mis-using the term Chekhov's Gun. A Chekhov's gun would be if they showed his mount in some non-conspicuous manner or as part of a very minor gag or such - some way of establishing its existance and key traits without realy calling attention to itself - and then it much later showed up to play a major role in story, especialy if its played up to use the traits displayed in its earlier appearance.

Blackwing is a good example of a Chekhov's Gun - he was introduced in a way that made people think he was a cheap gag on a DND mechanic, then ignored for a long time, and then suddenly reappeared at a very dramatic moment to have a major impact on the story.
    You got it right. don't worry. I'd link TVTropes, but I have too much dignity

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herald Alberich View Post
    Maybe it's late and I'm cranky too, and the first one was kinda funny, but can we not turn this into another O-Chul Facts thread? We already have one of those.
    Two, actually, the new one went up recently because the old one's nearing 50.

Anyway, it's possible that he doesn't have the requisite paladin level for a mount, but we know he has a low charisma. Smite evil is based on charisma and paladin level, and I don't find it very likely that he'd use Smite Evil very often for a +3 or +4 bonus to damage- he likely has fear immunity, and 5th level is paladin mount. Also, do we ever see him smite evil twice in a day? Before lv. 5 it's 1/day. It seems more likely to me that he just hasn't bothered to get a mount.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acero View Post
    You got it right. don't worry. I'd link TVTropes, but I have too much dignity
    Well, you could always link to Wikipedia instead. It's not like TVTropes has a monopoly on that kind of info.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Darn you and your good spelling. You have ruined my joke.