New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default How do I break a Monk?

My party has been complaining that they haven't faced much of a challenge (2 munchkins doesn't help)In the campaign im running, the king of one nation is a level 19 Monk. Pretty soon, The PC's are going to have to face him. Since there are no monk PC's in the game, I can make it a overpowered Monk(if its even possible).

How can I do that?

First Thoughts:

Flurry while moving
    Proficient with fists
    maybe go wolverine claws
    have something for fly
    Wands of fireball strapped to the inside of his sleeves (for flavor)

Anything else?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: How do I break a Monk?

By making him a full caster and calling him a monk.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Does he have to be a monk? Or at least, do the players have to know he has 19 levels of monk class? As he is an NPC, it would be easier to give him whatever powers you think will challenge the party rather than try and make the monk more powerful.

Or of course, you can always go unarmed swordsage.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Here's THE monk minmaxing guide.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

How do you break a monk? Play a druid.

But seriously, I would suggest the Unarmed Swordsage variant. Optimizing a monk is... difficult at least.

6. - Top - End - #6

First: Monks don't really fit the concept of a King, so you may wish to consider a different class.

If that isn't enough for you to choose a different path, two feats from the Monster Manual (Ability Focus and Improved Natural Attack) help out.

Ability Focus for the Stunning Fist and/or Quivering Palm abilites, and Improved Natural Attack to increase the damage of the Monk even farther.

Of course, it may help to know a little more about the campaign. If it is Gestalt, for example... then add fighter class to the monk for more options!
    Normal avatar by Darwin. Many thanks!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Along with your avatar, your class is the bard.
    Indeed it is, now that I think about it. Bard in the Playground

From Murska's City: Eternally Unlucky

Retired Werewolfer

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Monk 2 + Tashalatoran/Ardent 17
    Monk is pretty weak, but this particular combo is very strong and very well-thought of. You'll end up using Dominant Ideal, and the Mantle trade-out ACF, which requires GM approval, so you know, write stuff down, read it, ask yourself, cackle, the usual routine.

ACFs
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2010-04-27 at 06:29 PM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Homebrew a feat that gives 1/10th (or more) of his speed to AC, reflex and initiative. Also, give him Exceptional Deflection as an early feat, and make Deflect Arrows go from one a round to reflex save per round. So massive AC, massive reflex, and can deflect at least 20 *ranged* touch spells a round.

Nearly impossible to kill, but his damage will still suck beyond belief, just like every monk there is.
    Last edited by Darkspear; 2010-04-27 at 06:16 PM.
    quo nemo sequi potest

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Monk 2/Psichic Warrior 18

Take tashalatora and be happy: now you are a monk with actual class features.

Edit: Ninja'd by doc on tashalatora
    Last edited by Arakune; 2010-04-27 at 06:15 PM.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspear View Post
    Homebrew a feat that gives 1/10th (or more) of his speed to AC, reflex and initiative. Also, give him Exceptional Deflection as an early feat, and make Deflect Arrows go from one a round to reflex save per round. So massive AC, massive reflex, and can deflect at least 20 *ranged* touch spells a round.

Nearly impossible to kill, but his damage will still suck beyond belief, just like every monk there is.
    Or just use the bloody Penny Dreadful monk.

11. - Top - End - #11

You're the GM, you don't have to play by the rules. Make it a tri-gestalt Unarmed Swordsage // Monk/Fighter // Cleric/Sacred Fist(or Egoist if you prefer psionics) or something like that. And give him a posse of full casters too, just as backup. Because what king doesn't have his own mages/is one?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Agree with Monk2/PsyWarrior18, or unarmed swordsage 20. Call him a monk, they'll only know the difference if they go into metagame. I like the idea of gestalting as well (UASS/PW), it'll make him more versatile without flat-out outstripping the PC's.

Also, don't just have them fight the king, unless he's done something stupid like letting the PC's duel him instead of flat-out fight. Facing a king means likely means also facing his best bodyguards (a pair of crusaders, a batman wizard, and a high-level rogue masquerading as staff, for example), plus plenty of 'mooks' (and by mooks, I mean palace guards that are probably running 8-12th level).
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

13. - Top - End - #13

RedWizardGuy

Don't twink the monk... twink the KING.

At no time should the players get to face just the king, he should have his royal secret service as well as his normal guards, and then the double super secret assassin squad...

Certainly pimp out his monkness if you want to go that rout, but don't forget he's also the king.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Hit him with a pipe. That should break a few bones.

Oh, wait, wrong type of breaking.

The best I can think of (that doesn't basicaly amounts to "play something else with a monk dip, if even that) is by means of gear. Make items that give spells or powers as constant effects (horribly expensive) or reliably on-use (action intensive), a few examples of good spells and powers to have:

• Divine Power
    • Expansion (alternatively, Giant Size)
    • Greater Mighty Walop
    • Haste

It's what I can think of right now. Surely there are dozens of other fun little spells to use.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Give him a ------ of Dex and Wis +10, to increase his AC by 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Or just use the bloody Penny Dreadful monk.
    Has this been play tested?
    I only ask because Dance of Sun & Moon gives powers at 12th level for a 10 level class.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    Give him a ------ of Dex and Wis +10, to increase his AC by 10.
    And then the players kill him and take the items. Bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Has this been play tested?
    I only ask because Dance of Sun & Moon gives powers at 12th level for a 10 level class.
    Yes it has, very thoroughly. As you may note, a number of the abilities, Dance being one, are advanced as per other monk abilities from the old monk class. This means that things like the monk belt, or PrCs can push you past 10 effective monk levels for many abilities.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Take 2, possible 4 or maybe 6 levels of Monk, and the remainder as some other class.
    Cleric is an obvious option, or dump wis for int via Kung Fu Genious and go with Wizard.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Take 2, possible 4 or maybe 6 levels of Monk, and the remainder as some other class.
    Cleric is an obvious option, or dump wis for int via Kung Fu Genious and go with Wizard.
    Take a look at Tashalatoran in the feats section of Secrets of Sarlona.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    And then the players kill him and take the items. Bad idea.
    Make it Monk-only, then. Or make it require access to Ki, since by that level no-one is going to put 4 levels into monk for a magic item.
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by WildPyre View Post
    Don't twink the monk... twink the KING.
    This is good advice.

But if you want to twink the Monk, get some size increases going (Greater Mighty Wallop, Improved Natural Attack, Expansion, all that noise), toss on Travel Devotion (1/day is fine if there's one encounter per campaign) and blow some resources on flight and teleportation abilities.

Hell, you might even listen to Giacomo for playstyle -- this is the king. He should have NPC casters on hand to give him whatever the hell he likes; he should have the resources to load up on partially charged wands of Wraithstrike or Knight's Move or whatever. It's not like he's constrained by the normal limits of adventuring.

23. - Top - End - #23

Make it Monk-only, then. Or make it require access to Ki, since by that level no-one is going to put 4 levels into monk for a magic item.
    Use Magic Device makes that still a bad idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
    Hell, you might even listen to Giacomo for playstyle -- this is the king. He should have NPC casters on hand to give him whatever the hell he likes; he should have the resources to load up on partially charged wands of Wraithstrike or Knight's Move or whatever. It's not like he's constrained by the normal limits of adventuring.
    WBL is pretty inconsequential. Why bother with partially anything?
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-04-27 at 07:17 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

24. - Top - End - #24

Use Magic Device, DC29 to emulate a 4th level class feature. Not all that hard to get at levels when you're facing CR19 opponents.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

Totemist has a soulmeld that gives you claws and pounce. Sphinx Claws, I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Here's THE monk minmaxing guide.
    I disagree.
    Last edited by Prodan; 2010-04-27 at 07:23 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Make his large and immovable throne a magic trap with all sorts of short-term use-activated buffs on it. The +10 wisdom spell from Spell Compendium. Barkskin. Shield. Divine Power. Greater Blindsight. Whatever. Then he'll come off of his throne acting like the wrath of god, still have monk mechanics, and there's no gear that the group can reasonably use (even if they take over the kingdom, it's hard to use the buffs except there in the throne room.

Alternately, give him a non-transferrable item of shapechange. A 19th level monk is going to be much scarier in the form of a planetar, or storm giant, or Cornugon.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

27. - Top - End - #27

How does Claws of the Beast work with Monk?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Use Magic Device, DC29 to emulate a 4th level class feature. Not all that hard to get at levels when you're facing CR19 opponents.
    Then make it need Empty Body, Slow Fall 90ft, Timeless Body, Tongue of Sun and Moon, Quivering Palm, Diamond Soul, Abundant Step, Diamond Body, Greater Flurry, every monk-specific feature there is.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

DwarfClericGuy

Go the Neverwinter Nights game advice way and make a Pale Master Monk. Every melee attack he makes, the PC's need to save or die.

30. - Top - End - #30

Then make it need Empty Body, Slow Fall 90ft, Timeless Body, Tongue of Sun and Moon, Quivering Palm, Diamond Soul, Abundant Step, Diamond Body, Greater Flurry, every monk-specific feature there is.
    Then why not just make it an inherent bonus, instead of pointless fiat? "You take the +10/+10 item off the body of the boss that you worked hard to defeat. Except you can't use it because I said so." If you're going to be so arbitrary, at least go the distance and don't needlessly disappoint and antagonize the players.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective