New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Default Whats he Called Again?

I've noticed that my players, and the group in which I play, tend to rename things. For example there was an orc mage who was supposed to die in an encounter but escaped. He became a recurring villain. We found the idea of an orc wizard so absurd we called him monocle orc. After a couple sessions with monocle orc escaping, the DM gave him a magic monocle. We never managed to kill him.

Later in the campaign we encountered some giant spiders with 40 legs and an impale attack. We fought them several times but We never got to learn what they were called. At one point someone said somethng along the lines of "not the fracking legs again." The spiders became known as fracklegs. I'm making the Battlestar substitution for the sake of the board rules. We were not as polite.

These are just a couple that I can remember but I know there are more. What creative or unusual things have your players and friends named things?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Whats he Called Again?

In the last campaign I played in, my paladin, Sir Georg Redcrosse, earned the nickname "Brave Sir Robin" from our party's bard, Alizel. In the early stages of the campaign, I proposed using caution in our battles and sometimes even advocated retreating in order to avoid dying. Being used to the "Lawful Stupid" paladin archetype, this was seen as downright cowardly, and so she reffered to me as "Brave Sir Robin" afterwards. Eventually Georg earned more respect in the eyes of both Alizel and the rest of the party, and while she still called him by the "Brave Sir Robin" nickname, the running gag was now just good-natured ribbing instead of an insult.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Back when I played Living Greyhawk, there was a core module set in Tehn, and I swear that every single important NPC in the module had a name that sounded VERY similar to an STD. It had most of us rolling on the ground before the DM had even finished with the opening boxed text...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

bitchfist for the fist of stone spell.
    pimphand for the dread necro touch attack
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    For example there was an orc mage who was supposed to die in an encounter but escaped. He became a recurring villain. We found the idea of an orc wizard so absurd we called him monocle orc. After a couple sessions with monocle orc escaping, the DM gave him a magic monocle. We never managed to kill him.
    That reminds me of Unforgotten Realms. Funny little show.

"Dude, he's totally a wizard."

"... he's a zomb-"

"He's wearing a monocle! Everyone knows that wizards wear monocles!"

"Wait, let's rethink this. That spider's obviously a very powerful wizard!"

"Wait, how do you know?"

"He has EIGHT MONOCLES!"
    Last edited by balistafreak; 2010-05-02 at 08:47 PM.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

our warmage/incantrix can pimp out his blasts with lots of metamagic. when he does, he casts them by yelling "I'MA CHARGIN' MA LAYZER".

when he casts stuff without metamagic, he yells "KAAAAAAMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA MMEEEEEEEE..." you get the idea.

and finally, if he ever casts magic missile, he alerts us with a simple "pew pew."
    Last edited by The Rabbler; 2010-05-02 at 08:49 PM.
    *note: not all advice by this poster is meant to be taken seriously.

Warlock/Swordsage avatar by yldenfrei

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

7. - Top - End - #7

Thank you, sir. That was incredibly stupid on my part.

Fix'd on my end.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

8. - Top - End - #8

Goblin

I'm a pretty heavy offender at this one. It doesn't help that my DM is Norwegian, and some of the campaign is set in Norway. I ended up just making up names for all of the complicatedly named vampires.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Just this day, me and the party couldn't remember the names of any of the major NPC's or places. We ended up calling a man named "Thraxis" something along the lines of "Raxitor" or some crap. Than there was good old Burg-Burt the Ultramit Destroyer. What a fine absolutely retarded NPC he was...
    THIS IS A SIGNATURE

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

A Cleric/RSoP of Pelor in my group is named Damien. He has the nickname 'Sunny D'.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

yeah in my current group, we r play Champions not the online one, my friend has the nickname of Doctor Comatose. you ask why? well its because of ever npc he a hit with ether his foot or fist has ended up in a coma form the mass amount of stun.
    current avatar by Nathan

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
    Originally Posted by Randel
    A dwarven monk got drunk
    and sat on an elephants trunk
    the elephant sneezed and fell on his knees
    and that was the end of the monk

12. - Top - End - #12

This happens all the time in my groups. One player in particular renamed every single party member and NPC he came across. Unfortunately I can't remember any of the good ones now. He did nickname a fellow party member "Elf-Boots." She was a fey'ri. She was not amused.
    Last edited by Dr Bwaa; 2010-05-03 at 01:07 AM.
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

One player named his sorceress something utterly unpronounceable fully of Vs and Zs so we renamed her Daisy, both in and out of character.

A recurring unnamed assassin has been dubbed 'Evil Jawa Lady' (Because she looks like an evil jawa. We're very creative), which kind of kills the drama whenever we find the mutilated corpses of her victims.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

A couple of my allies in this one game accepted a deal to advertise for an adventuring gear place called "The Tooth and Scabbard". It took a while for the one character to remember it right. Attempt 1: "Elfman's", got the elf guy running the place nervous. A couple other attempts: "The Shield and Tabbard", "The Sword and Scabbard"

Now that he's got the name right though (and a sticker on the end of his halberd saying to shop there (the pointy end)), his new battlecries are the scariest yet. "Shop at the Tooth and Scabbard!", "If you get raised by your friends, shop at the Tooth and Scabbard!", "Look at how well this pierces your cruddy armor. You should've shopped at the Tooth and Scabbard!", followed by posing so the sticker is visible to bystanders.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

During a SWSE campaign, a DM used my character being confused for a bounty as a plot hook in one session. Well, after escaping those bounty hunters and getting a bounty license, we proceeded to drop hints- everywhere- that I was really him (guy's name was Garvus, IIRC). Rob a Hutt crime lord? Garvus, remember the name. We get robbed- guy named Garvus did it. Sabotage of our mission on Dantooine? We believe it was an outlaw named Garvus. We eventually decided that he had a Destiny of Blame, wherever he was. (seeing as we never actually met him)

And a really old anime campaign involved me renaming a character Claude Speed, and making premature ejaculation jokes. Don't really remember why.....
    Last edited by TheYoungKing; 2010-05-03 at 06:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Magazine, Issue 4
    A player may orgy continuously as many days as he has constitution points, but then must rest for as many days as he orgied.
    My first homebrew- Ur-Priest as a Base Class?! The Divine Charlatan

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

'As a DM i really really dislike this renaming thing...
    I mean honestly you don't have to remember every single NPC's name but if they all end up in twisted version of their real names i will and i swear i will have a whole town full of people whose name will be Johnny/Jenny for the sake of both confusing the players and give them the chance to adress NPC's right for the first time in their fantasy lives... -.-'