New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default so...you're a bard...what now?

I've come to a conundrum. I simply have NO idea what to do with my bard. At level 10 he's already proven to be quite effective as a battlefield controller. His whip is full of trip and his songs make pummeling easier. But being limited to Pathfinder core, unless we ask for permission to take things from other books, I'm at a loss. I simply don't know what to do with him. I do know I want to continue his progression as a bard so he can continue to buff up his songs, but that's about it. Any thoughts/suggestions/guides you can throw at me would be appreciated; excluding Treantmonk's because I've already used it quite thoroughly.
    The Super Special Awesome Yiuel made my very manly Avatar
    The Great Steam Golem, Blitzcrank!

He really has a heart of gold...encased in a framework of iron...in a carapace of steel.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: so...you're a bard...what now?

Well, if you're level ten, there's always Sublime Chord, if your DM will allow it.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Disciple of Metal! Start bringing music to your sessions

4. - Top - End - #4

PF's Arcane Archer is quite fine, though, it seems that it won't fit with your build.
    Awesome Bleachatar by Terry576.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Levethix the Dray Arcane Swordsage from the harsh world of Dark Sun.

Fallout bloody mess avatar by C-Lam.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

It depends on your alignment. I've a sweet Bard/Assassin standing by, not bad in combat and very interesting to play.
    You can, instead, take a few levels in fighter (Combat Expertise + Improved Trip is a very classic) or rogue. You can go prestige if your DM allows it, so you can add some level in Virtuoso (defamation is a great class feature: good and very funny to play).

6. - Top - End - #6

If you've got the prereqs (or if your DM will let you retrain to gain them), try Sublime Chord for the last 10 levels. It gives you access to levels 4 - 9 of the wizard and sorcerer spellbook, not to mention you still further your bardic spells.
    The poster formerly known as Riyoukaze.
    I am agile, like orange.
    onthetown

7. - Top - End - #7
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

See, this may be my variant viewpoint, but... what are you wanting to do? You've got a fun, solid, build. The mechanics are solved. Now you can sit down, sink your teeth into story, and shake it until it stops rattling. Maybe a experiment occasionally... try different spell combos, or new tactics (especially tactics to deal with situations you're not optimized for... what happens if you encounter Oozes, which are immune to your songs and your whip?)... but once you've got your mechanics where you like them, there's not a lot of reason to change.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riyoukaze View Post
    If you've got the prereqs (or if your DM will let you retrain to gain them), try Sublime Chord for the last 10 levels. It gives you access to levels 4 - 9 of the wizard and sorcerer spellbook, not to mention you still further your bardic spells.
    I actually have everything but the ranks in Astrologer, so I ACTUALLY might go with this, especially since I can get some cool crap with Wiz/Sorc spells that Bards definitely don't get. But I don't really want to crossover into areas already filled by the rest of the party since we have a Wizard and Summoner, so I might forgo this for either a more Archery or Melee based PRC or Feats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    See, this may be my variant viewpoint, but... what are you wanting to do? You've got a fun, solid, build. The mechanics are solved. Now you can sit down, sink your teeth into story, and shake it until it stops rattling. Maybe a experiment occasionally... try different spell combos, or new tactics (especially tactics to deal with situations you're not optimized for... what happens if you encounter Oozes, which are immune to your songs and your whip?)... but once you've got your mechanics where you like them, there's not a lot of reason to change.
    I'm actually considering working on "critical" feats since my other melee weapon is a Rapier. Putting Keen on it and criting on a 15 or better is just wrong. I'm just not sure if doing this would be worth it or not. Are critical feats strong enough to make this worth it?
    The Super Special Awesome Yiuel made my very manly Avatar
    The Great Steam Golem, Blitzcrank!

He really has a heart of gold...encased in a framework of iron...in a carapace of steel.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

I was going to play around with a fighter that was for all intense purposes going to be using a high crit weapon to get into the critical feats. You get to apply bleeding to a character that does 2d6 damage a round till they either get some one over to use a heal check. Which will prevent some one elses turn to be wasted, or resources to be wasted as they have use a cure spell to stop it. That is the I think the best one to take at the +11 bab option. The other criticals are defiantly designed with the fighter in mind, the higher BAB plus the fighter only feat that allows to apply two criticals. With all the other critical feats the only problem is that there is a save of 10 + BAB versus fort to negate the effect.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

step 1: cast glibness
    step 2: bluff the DM, make him think that your homebrewed prestige class is actually underpowered, and has alot of flavor to make up for it. he might have alot of ranks in sense motive, or he could intimidate you, but your +30 will do more than compensate for this.
    step 3: create a PRC with full BAB, full casting, and continued song progression. claim that these levels also stack with bard for knowledge checks. say that the class is not allowed to ever eat human flesh, which is what makes the class weak. this is important, so that the DM can walk away satisfied that you didnt get everything you wanted
    step 4: ???
    step 5: prophet
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    step 5: prophet
    Does this require proselytizing?
    Thanks The Neoclassic for my avatar!

Stark Raving Dad - a blog about life.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by theos911 View Post
    Fighter: I can kill a guy in one turn.
    Cleric: I can kill a guy in half a turn.
    Wizard: I can kill a guy before my turn!
    Bard: I can get 12 idiots to go kill guys for me
    Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Oh, and Person-Man's real name is a little something called "SKYNET"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    Does this require proselytizing?
    that aspect is clearly defined in step 4
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

13. - Top - End - #13

Flumph

Play a Lightning Warrior with bard song progression. It's already underpowered, so adding that ability shouldn't make it too strong.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Play a Lightning Warrior with bard song progression. It's already underpowered, so adding that ability shouldn't make it too strong.
    There's no way anyone could play such a weak character! It doesn't even get a familiar!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myshlaevsky View Post
    There's no way anyone could play such a weak character! It doesn't even get a familiar!
    You can take Leadership and pretend the cohort is your familiar! I know, it's a weak option, but it has flavour.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.