New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default The cure for MAD?

There is a feat in the Races of Renown: Bastards and Bloodlines sourcebook. It goes as follows.

Lost Tradition (General)
    You are descended from a group of spellcasters who had very different ways of mastering magic, and you follow in their tradition.

Benefits: Choose one spellcasting class. You may change which ability score governs spellcasting with that class. That ability cannot be changed again.

Special: You can take this feat only at 1st level.

This governing score change determines bonus spells, maximum castable spell level, and save DCs. I see this as an excellent resource if it would be allowed in any campaigns at all. Charisma-based clerics, for instance, would be even more powerful, since all their class features would be cha-based.

The roleplaying applications, as well, are quite interesting. A con-based sorcerer could be a vessel for raw magic that he is only able to release without destroying himself through a concerted effort of bodily fortitude.

Thoughts, applications, etc?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The cure for MAD?

Heh, Str based casters make me chuckle. I mean, I know that's not what you're going for, but the thought of someone's somatic component being flexing their muscles in a certain pattern is just too good for words.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I had discussed that before with a friend, yeah.
    "So you're faced with an ogre zombie. What do you do?"
    "I do an intricate pec-dance until a beam of sunlight shoots from my biceps."
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2010-05-22 at 07:50 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Heh, Str based casters make me chuckle. I mean, I know that's not what you're going for, but the thought of someone's somatic component being flexing their muscles in a certain pattern is just too good for words.
    Well, why else would armor give such a huge penalty to spells with somatic components?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

A constitution based druid and wizard walk into a bar....

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesy74 View Post
    There is a feat in the Races of Renown: Bastards and Bloodlines sourcebook. It goes as follows.

Lost Tradition (General)
    You are descended from a group of spellcasters who had very different ways of mastering magic, and you follow in their tradition.

Benefits: Choose one spellcasting class. You may change which ability score governs spellcasting with that class. That ability cannot be changed again.

This governing score change determines bonus spells, maximum castable spell level, and save DCs. I see this as an excellent resource if it would be allowed in any campaigns at all. Charisma-based clerics, for instance, would be even more powerful, since all their class features would be cha-based.

The roleplaying applications, as well, are quite interesting. A con-based sorcerer could be a vessel for raw magic that he is only able to release without destroying himself through a concerted effort of bodily fortitude.

A Strength-based Cleric with the Strength domain invokes the ability and uses a Save-or-Lose spell. Goodbye BBEG. Only once/day, though, so not too bad... but at 10th level, that's +5 to the spell save DC (well, less any boosts from a Belt of Giant Strength, but still...).

The biggest problem with the feat as listed is that, for the most part, it's not casters that are MAD. It's Monks, Paladins, Hexblades, and so forth, who aren't particularly helped by this. In the meantime, it makes casters even more SAD (oh yes, and Con will be a VERY popular choice).
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2010-05-22 at 07:55 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Dexterity-based wizards. To cast spell they need to do over-the-top-Naruto-esque handsigns.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Constitution. Rawr!

Or Dexterity. Hit and not let be hitted
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

This was why I loved my 4e Dragon Sorcerer. He got extra damage on his attacks by flexing at the enemies.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Mmm... Int based Sorc om nom nom
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

This has applications for gishes. For example use this to change your casting stat to dex and gish as a skill monkey.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Makes all those arcane hierophant and MT builds all the more nasty.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesy74 View Post

Lost Tradition (General)

I seem to fail to see the reason behind this caster buff?
    And which casters are really a mad class to begin with, I´m sure there are a few but still con based wizard? dex based sorcerer? madness !

Paladin and monk the most mad class ever are not effected at all by this paladin because only spellcasting is effected and monk well is not a casting class... so this is no mad fix at all?

Or do I just fail my dc check to see the joke?
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2010-05-22 at 08:13 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

This feat is terrible. MAD is a good thing in casters

All the relatively benign buff spells become ridiculous. And the ones that are already really good ([Draconic] Polymorph, Divine Power, Righteous Might, Giant Size, Bite of the Werebear, etc.) become even more of a problem.

But on the plus side, this feat is a cheap trick that can allow the strengthly barbarian to stand alongside the wizened priest, even into higher levels (just they both get to be labeled 'Cleric'). And there's something I like about Mongrelfolk becoming one of the strongest races.

Overall though, this can be easily abused, it has incredibly strange fluff and it would exaggerate imbalance problems between classes if allowed.
    Last edited by Pluto; 2010-05-22 at 08:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

It would really help dual stat based casters, like Favored Soul, Archivist and Healer, even if it was limited to mental stats only.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I was wondering why I hadn't seen that feat before, then I remembered that that book is third-party.

In my opinion, that book was badly written and badly conceived. As several people have already said, this is not a fix. Also, dual-stat casters already have an easy fix: houseruling them into single-stat casters.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2010-05-22 at 08:30 PM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Spirit Shamans, Shugenja, Favored Souls, Shadowcasters(Assuming they count), Bardic Sages, and Healers will all love you. Plus it'd let Lurks use dexterity for everything if they felt like it (assuming they count too).

If it was then limited to mental stats (Int, Wis, Cha), it wouldn't be terribly unfair to open it up to everyone either. Without that, it's probably unfair for the above casters too.
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Dual stat casters do not need to get buffed to single stat casters. Single stat casters need more MAD.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

I'm well aware, I'm just pointing out that dual-stat casters would not need this feat if you believed they needed it.

Not too sure about the Lurk and the Ninja, though. I rarely see those in play. I'd personally prefer
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2010-05-22 at 08:37 PM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    Dual stat casters do not need to get buffed to single stat casters. Single stat casters need more MAD.
    You telling me doing push up's till the ground shakes, jumping in the air and doing flips till a fire ball shots out, or roaring until lighting strikes is not enough reason to just let people use this?
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    Either way, it needs to be a level playing field. Having some full casters on one stat, and a handful on two, is just asinine.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yea, is it not written that the cure for MAD is to be GLAD?

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Demons_eye View Post
    You telling me doing push up's till the ground shakes, jumping in the air and doing flips till a fire ball shots out, or roaring until lighting strikes is not enough reason to just let people use this?
    It's called Swordsage.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

At best, I would allow a feat which lets you select another stat for determining bonus spells known (but spell dcs is still based on your original stat).

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: The cure for MAD?

...so if you were going to make SAD casters into MAD, how would you go about it?

Clerics: WIS & CHA
    Druids: WIS & CHA
    Wizards: INT & CHA
    Sorcerers: INT & CHA

26. - Top - End - #26

I would make Sorcerers straight Cha (they're the weakest of the four anyway, and get a Forced mini-MAD from fixed spell list meaning higher skill reliance), and Druids Wis and Int personally.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UglyPanda View Post
    In my opinion, that book was badly written and badly conceived.
    I'd have to agree, on the grounds that on the next page is a feat that allows players to defy all anatomy.

Basically, it allows you to run 10x your speed for 1 round and make a DC 15+rounds sprinted in last hour fortitude save to keep sprinting every round after that.
    If anyone else just noticed that that's a really, really pitiful save for something that lets a third-level barbarian run 45 miles an hour (I did the calculations), then congrats, you have a better sense of realism than the writers of this book.

I like this feat more for its flavour than for its actual mechanics. Its effects could just be achieved through roleplay rather than throwing a gigantic bone to munchkins with the feat itself.
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2010-05-22 at 09:06 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

That feat's a lot better than the one you put at the top of the page. I'll let you think about why.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...so if you were going to make SAD casters into MAD, how would you go about it?

I'm not entirely sure what I'd do with the divine casters, but I think arcane would go:

Wizards: Int and Wis
    Sorcerers: Wis and Cha

My reasoning is that Wizards are all about understanding the universe and unlocking its secrets via knowledge and formula. Force of personality never enters into it, really- it's all about the workings in their head.

Sorcerer, on the other hand, is all about innate control and mastery. Their instinctual, intuitive talents allow them to use arcane magic- it's about force of will and inborn talent, which is better represented by Wisdom and Charisma- intellect isn't really necessary.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post

I've always thought INT & WIS made more sense for a lot of Wizards. Merlin, for example, seems much better at perception and willpower than at social skills or emotional forcefulness.

'Course, there are plenty of counterexamples, too. Fizban's Wisdom certainly wasn't anything to admire ...

But really, when you get down to it, it really doesn't matter until you clean up some of the vagaries of what the three scores actually represent. And it really would make the most sense for all spellcasting to depend somehow on all three scores ...

EDIT: Ninja'd.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2010-05-22 at 09:12 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.