New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Spells and feats that would not have passed a DM if presented by a player?

One of the often disregarded ability of casters is to research new spells. They can produce new enchantments and whatnot that would fit a situation, be the final product of a good idea or simply fit their concept.

It is all good so far but then you sometimes look at certain officialy published content from WOTC and ask yourself: would this have been approved if simply presented by a player? I don't mean a player coming to the table wih a new book, I mean with a few lines of text of a printed sheet of paper.

Some of these would never have passed a reasonable DM, even not always because of brokeness but mostly because of actual concept or flavour.

My "favorite"? The orb spells.

Player: I know I am a conjurer but I had this idea: Summoning a mass of acid or fire or very cold air and throwing it at my enemies! It is not evocation if it comes from somewhere no?

DM: I can see the acid, you remember acid arrow? But fire? You summon Fire? How does that even work? And COLD AIR? Seriously? What, you want to summon sound next? Force?

What are yours?
    Last edited by Albonor; 2010-05-29 at 10:47 PM.
    "78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Spells and feats that would not have passed a DM if presented by a player?

i honestly dont know whose idea it was to allow shivering touch, but MY GOD they should have rethought that one. it hits on Touch, does 2d6 dex, and can easily take down a dragon? seriously, shooting off two of these, along with a maximized or enlarged version of it, will render almost any creature immobile
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Default Re: Spells and feats that would not have passed a DM if presented by a player?

Candle of Invocation.

Seriously.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    Candle of Invocation.

Seriously.
    Goodnight, everybody!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Mindrape (better dominate person with limitless duration? no way)
    Wish (too vague)
    Teleport (ruins the travel part of the adventure story)
    Wall of force (nothing should be invincible)

6. - Top - End - #6

Candle of Invocation.
    *is unfamiliar with many magic items*

*looks up Candle of Invocation*

Oh... Oh god... Who would ever let something like that happen?
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    'Adding up numbers' is completely independent of roleplay. What you're saying makes as much sense as "peeling a banana is not a good way to drive."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Shapechange:
    Player-"I want to be able to turn into anything I want every round, heal every time, and get all of said things abilities when I do it. . . "
    Dm-hahahahahaha no. -_-

Divine metamagic: (they errated it later but its still pretty bad)
    Player- i want to be able to use my turn undead attempts to use metamagic instead. . .
    Dm- I'm listening? what will your limitations be?
    Player-Limitations?
    Dm- hahahaha no -_-
    RAMS > RAI > RAW

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

I could see both of those things getting by a DM who didn't know better. Shapechange is a 9th level spell and without thorough knowledge of the kinds of things it would give you access to (which the DM wouldn't have because Shapechange wouldn't exist), a lot of DMs might let it go. Same thing with Gate, which is why I didn't say Gate.

As for Divine Metamagic, outside of Persist Spell and without ways of getting large numbers of Turn attempts, it's not that powerful. A smart DM might ban it just because metamagic-reducers are a tried and true way to game breakage, but if they didn't know that, DMM might not look that bad. Hell, it might not be that bad - you don't really get to use it that many times. Two free Quicken'd spells a day? Eh, worth a feat without a doubt, but it's not the game breaker than a Persist'd spell or two is.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wish
    DM: So you're saying to can wish for anything in my game permanently?
    Player: Yes.
    DM: With no penalties?
    DM: ..How about no.

Psylons
    DM: You're asking if you can kill things ... with your mind?
    Player: Why not?
    DM: ..No.

Shifter
    DM: You want the ability to shift into anything you can possibly imagine?
    DM: Get out.

Sphere of Ultimate Destruction
    Player: So, my guy made this spell and it obliterates everything around him.
    DM: Serious?

Timestop
    DM: A spell that stops time for everyone buy yourself?
    Player: Yeah. Where's the problem?
    DM: ...

Shout
    DM: A spell that kills people if you shout loud enough?
    Player: Mhmm.
    DM: *Facepalm.*

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Muggins View Post
    Wish

Psylons

Shifter

Timestop
    DM: A spell that stops time for everyone buy yourself?
    Player: Yeah. Where's the problem?
    DM: ...

Shout
    Well, Wish used to be the DM's chance to find a creative way to mess with his players. Also, aren't Sylons robots?
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

11. - Top - End - #11

Psylons
    DM: ..No
    Frak, Muggins. Who let those into the game?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Wish
    I think there are enough restrictions on Wish as it is currently worded that I might give it the time of day as a DM. 5000 XP is a lot and it can't do just anything. Plus it is fun to grant the wishes by the letter of the law or the exact wording of the Wish.

Some spells and/or feats that I would find suspect are

Arcane Thesis (PHB 2) - IF you allow it as written where it deducts one point from ALL metamagics applied and not just from one of any metamagic feats applied. Coupled with Improved Metamagic at Epic levels and you have some nasty spells for very little to no level slot upcharge.

Close Quarters Fighting (CW) - You mean you want to take an attack of opportunity even if I have feats that prevent you from doing so and then add any damage done to your grapple check?? Sorry, no!

Wings of Flurry (RoD) - You want a spell that will damage all the foes that you target in a 30 ft radius from you, avoid your allies, and have no damage cap on the number of dice of damage that you can do (ie 20th level Sorcerer can do 20d6)?? Again, sorry, but no!
    Last edited by Hendel; 2010-05-29 at 11:19 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Psylons
    I assume you mean Psion, which is much weaker than a Wizard.

Shifter
    What, the catgirl race from Eberron? They can't do that.

Shout
    It's only 5d6 damage.
    Last edited by Faleldir; 2010-05-29 at 11:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Power Word: Pain, comes to mind.

Also, the 3.0 version of Haste.

15. - Top - End - #15

Actually, most of these I understand. They either portray common fictional tropes (Wish, Shapechange, Polymorph, Teleport) or do something completely reasonable and conceptually compelling within the game (Sphere of Ultimate Destruction, Psions, Shout).

Easy Metamagic, Practical Metamagic, Orbs, Epic Spellcasting, Item Familiar don't make sense to me.

The Willing Deformity feats baffle me. Both because they seem more the role of grafts and because feats aren't usually related to actual events, feats or accomplishments of characters themselves. (Likewise, Lich-loved, Faerie Mysteries Initiate and Nymph's Kiss seem to be strangely plot-related compared to Skill Focus, Extend Spell, Improved Initiative or Power Attack.)

Thunderlance is probably the inversion of this. I understand why it would be allowed in a game, but I can't for the life of me understand why it was printed. Conceptually, a 20ft long lightsaber that dispels force effects doesn't really seem coherent.
    Last edited by Pluto; 2010-05-30 at 12:57 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Umm...isn't Sphere of Ultimate destruction simply a disintegrate that can hit over multiple turns? Seems perfectly in line for a 9th level spell.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

The orb spells are actually an important part of the larger ecology of D&D. You can ban them, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. They merely make blasters playable, instead of trash-fish.

My vote goes to sanctum spell, which made it through two editions as one of the worst feats ever printed.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Shifter
    Shifters are incredibly gimped and can't even make it into a fully furry form, being more like... half-furries when shifted.

Now, them turning into half-furries, I can see that getting a DM to ban or facepalm depending upon the DM's patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The orb spells are actually an important part of the larger ecology of D&D. You can ban them, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. They merely make blasters playable, instead of trash-fish.
    I'd find them much more acceptable if they were in Evocation. Can you imagine a player trying to explain their way around an Instantaneous (and therefore permanent) Orb of Fire?

Spellcasters would get this for me, as presented in 3.5. "So you can do magic, no time spent researching new spells, almost no gold spent, no quests needed to get obscure spells, zero risks of spells going awry, never get mental or physical fatigue from overexerting yourself, and almost no way of anyone countering it before it goes off? Hahahaha."
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
    I'd find them much more acceptable if they were in Evocation. Can you imagine a player trying to explain their way around an Instantaneous (and therefore permanent) Orb of Fire?

Spellcasters would get this for me, as presented in 3.5. "So you can do magic, no time spent researching new spells, almost no gold spent, no quests needed to get obscure spells, zero risks of spells going awry, never get mental or physical fatigue from overexerting yourself, and almost no way of anyone countering it before it goes off? Hahahaha."
    Plus that gets around the most insane aspect of the orbs spells. That is since they are instantaneous conjurations, once conjured, they are not magical and can then be tossed inside an Anti-Magic Field.

So an Orb of Force can take down both a Golem (no SR) and a mage inside an Anti-Magic Field, sign me up!!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

...there are so many things in here that are just wrong. Things that are not that powerful, things that don't actually work that way... Jeez.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Shock Trooper - ok I can tank AC (Which many believe is useless at high lvl anyway) to max my power attack out for super charging.

Divine metamagic - putting the G.O.D mode into cleric spell casting. Nightsticks made this even worse.
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

...there are so many things in here that are just wrong. Things that are not that powerful, things that don't actually work that way... Jeez.
    Anything in particular?

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    i honestly dont know whose idea it was to allow shivering touch, but MY GOD they should have rethought that one. it hits on Touch, does 2d6 dex, and can easily take down a dragon? seriously, shooting off two of these, along with a maximized or enlarged version of it, will render almost any creature immobile
    Look it up again. It does 3d6. I'm not making this **** up.

I totally agree with the Orbs. "I didn't evoke this orb of pure magical force, I, uh, conjured it... from Forceland." "Forceland?" "Yeah, you know... Forceland, in the Plane of Force."

Also, what's a Candle of Invoc--- OH MY GOD THE HORROR! By the given wording, you could even STACK them!
    Last edited by Wonton; 2010-05-30 at 12:32 AM.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hendel View Post
    Plus that gets around the most insane aspect of the orbs spells. That is since they are instantaneous conjurations, once conjured, they are not magical and can then be tossed inside an Anti-Magic Field.

So an Orb of Force can take down both a Golem (no SR) and a mage inside an Anti-Magic Field, sign me up!!
    yeah, that was always the most ridiculous part of the orbs for me.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hendel View Post
    Anything in particular?
    Several things, but I don't care for the argument, so I'm not going to point them out. Most of the things I see as out-right wrong have been already commented on, though.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by DrWonton View Post
    Also, what's a Candle of Invoc--- OH MY GOD THE HORROR! By the given wording, you could even STACK them!
    Would you believe that's not the insane part?

This thread was pretty much over at candle of invocation.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Psylons
    If you mean Psions, the Wizard can do that too, except much better. Psions lack the versatility and sheer brokenness that Wizards have.

Shifter
    I think you mean shapechange. I don't think you mean shifters:

Apart from having women who look like Mel Gibson...

...there's pretty much no real reason to ban them for balance reasons.

At that point, a lot of stuff can make the Fort saves necessary. Disintegrate is hard enough to pull off on its own.
    Last edited by AslanCross; 2010-05-30 at 01:02 AM.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

The Taint mage, or whatever that PrC that makes your casting stat based off Taint surly counts.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

30. - Top - End - #30

To be honest, Assay SR would be one IMO. I cast a spell that allows my spells to affect things that are resistant to spells better. I use magic to defeat something good against magic. The orbs, on the other hand, make sense overall for me. orb of force less so, but I'd clock the difference as "I create a real fire by using magical energy to summon it, and then physically moving it elsewhere" versus "I use magic to make a nigh-identical fascimilie of fire out of magical energy". The difference is a fine point when it comes to what the spells do (fake or not, that fire hurts), but when it comes to things resisting the magical energy, there's no more of it left in the real stuff, while the fake stuff needs the energy to keep its form.

as for 9th level spells, I just lump those together into the "They're 9th level spells. What is this 'needing approval' bit, the game's already broken in half, being short bits away from epic and all".

Power word: pain, though, definitely fits. "a first level spell that does more damage the less HP the target has, has no save, and will kill things by itself even a few levels after you get it, given time?" Granted, all it does is give the target a maximum fight duration before getting back to a good healing source, but still, bit much.
    The Complete Warrior rules on losing prerequisites for a PrC apply to all books. This bothers me enough to sig it. If you disagree, please PM me, I'm down with being proven wrong.

Steam: Thiyr (The Great and Powerful Bulbasaur).
    SC2: RianL.377. Hit me up for some SC2 if you're on.

Bulbabulbabulbabulba...SAUR.