New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Using Shadowrun for Metal Gear game?

I've been thinking about running a Metal Gear-themed game for a while now. The most natural system to run this in (around here) might be d20 Modern, but I think Shadowrun would also do a fine job of it.

The system of choice has to handle:
    -Stealth and action
    -Future science like robotics, augmentations/cybernetics, as well as spy gear
    -Guns, guns, guns
    -Supernatural aspects/ESP
    -Able to stat out maniacal/flamboyant bosses and other characters

I think Shadowrun handles this pretty well. The magical aspects of SR can be downplayed to handle the supernatural folk that pop up in MG games. I'm not all that experienced with SR yet (I've got the Anniversary Edition; 4.0?) but running a game like this may help me to hammer out the rest of the details.

Not sure how many players I'd have for a game like this. I could possibly run it as a solo game.
    Last edited by Maerok; 2010-05-31 at 09:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Using Shadowrun for Metal Gear game?

Shadowrun?
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

If you end up not being happy with Shadowrun, M&M 2e would work wonders.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

I actually think this would work perfectly. You can have cyber ninjas like Grey Fox (Adept plus Bioware, Wired Reflexes, and a katana), insane shots like Sniper Wolf (Elf or other race with higher Agility, tons of Longarms ranks, specialization in sniper rifles, and then a souped up Sniper Rifle with Smartlink and other bio/cyberware), and plenty of stealth and espionage mechanics.

Heck, my first (and only, due to me just being a bad GM and my players all expecting different things from the game) Shadowrun mission featured almost everyone making a MGS reference.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

So long as you have one player willing to say "...Metal Gear?!?" in David Hayter's voice, I think Shadowrun will feel close enough.

And maybe a boss who manipulates the player's dice rolls. Not the results of their dice rolls in the game, the actual dice rolls on the table.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JaronK
    Why on earth would there be superstition in a world where you can just ask the gods stuff? "Hey, I hear throwing salt over your shoulder prevents bad luck." "Oh yeah? I'll ask the god of luck, brb."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    Hey, it could be worse. It could be monks. One day, someone will start a thread titled "4E monks, more morally justified than 3.5 wizards!", and the world will end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq
    Now, of course, what is a ninja? (A miserable little pile of shuriken!)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Of course, you have to put a strike through every instance of magic in the rulebooks and replace it with "nanomachines".

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

7. - Top - End - #7

MGS 1 & 3 had their share of magic.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

And that's one of the (many) weird things about MGS4. They went out of their way to point out that Vamp and Liquid Ocelot aren't magic, but the previous games had guys like The End, The Sorrow, Psycho Mantis, and Fortune.

That said, Shadowrun is a decent choice for a Metal Gear-esque game.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2010-05-31 at 11:43 PM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Tone down the Magic and make Hacking and The Matrix less important/complicated, and you should be fine...

I <3 the idea of a boss messing with the RL dice rolls and stuff. Just like Psycho Mantis turning the tv off and stuff, you should flip the results, with 6's being 1's and 2's being 5's and whatnot. Or have the players trade character sheets mid battle, like they've switched bodies or something.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Use trick dice.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

The PSP games also have psychics like Gene and Ursula/Elisa.

Plus the MGS4 bosses had some really strange mojo about them, like some kind of mental trauma aura, when they were de-suited. I really didn't like them (the Crying Wolf battle was frustrating and the interference defeated the epic-sniper-battle vibe) but Hideo was able to still do some really cool stuff with them (Laughing Octopus's and Screaming Mantis's battles).

Screaming Mantis was also kind of 'supernatural' but she was controlling the nanomachines. Then again, it seems like she was more or less possessed by Psycho Mantis.

I was fine with letting the whole Cold War mind experiment theme sort of play out. Yet nanomachines make slightly more sense than midichlorians.

---

Maybe one of the bosses can only be beaten by switching the game to DnD a la the VR Missions back on the PS1?

And maybe a boss that you can shoot in the head while they're still monologuing?
    Last edited by Maerok; 2010-06-01 at 12:07 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

one of the bosses can only be beaten by switching the game to DnD
    I cannot say yes hard enough. Switching SR to a D20 mechanic, in combination with dice tricks and whatnot, would be an amazing Psycho Mantis-esque boss battle.

Screw it. I'm so totally stealing that idea. The big Psyker boss battle in my next Dark Heresy game just got a lot more interesting...
    Last edited by Lycan 01; 2010-06-01 at 12:29 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Just remember, Metal Gear games were flippin' lethal. Common 'mook' mobs could easily kill characters. For this degree of lethality, I would use either CoC or GURPS. Both can handle a 'tech vibe to them quite easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    Shadowrun?
    Metal Gear?
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Metal Gear?
    You're missing an exclamation mark.

On-topic, I agree that Shadowrun is probably a decent system for running a Metal Gear game, at least from what I've read about it. But, being that the only RPG I've played to any extent is DnD, that's all the advice I have to give. Good luck.

16. - Top - End - #16

Exclamation mark? What's that?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Just remember, Metal Gear games were flippin' lethal. Common 'mook' mobs could easily kill characters. For this degree of lethality, I would use either CoC or GURPS. Both can handle a 'tech vibe to them quite easily.
    I admit I do SR3, not 4, but SR is usually quite lethal indeed. Even a basic mook with a hunting rifle can kill you easily if he gets the drop on you.

JaronK

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

If you are looking for a way to mess with player dice, Great Dragon from shadowrun have nifty ways of using edge to screw with players. And you can easily refluff them to look like whatever you want.

19. - Top - End - #19

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by UglyPanda View Post
    And that's one of the (many) weird things about MGS4. They went out of their way to point out that Vamp and Liquid Ocelot aren't magic, but the previous games had guys like The End, The Sorrow, Psycho Mantis, and Fortune.

That said, Shadowrun is a decent choice for a Metal Gear-esque game.
    I've read that Kojima's official stance is that Vamp actually was immortal in MGS2, and that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Liquid actually was possessing Ocelot in that same game.
    There wasn't any source given, though, so I can't tell you whether that's true - and, of course, what Kojima says isn't necessarily going to make any more sense than the position officially espoused in the games.

That said, MGS4 did still have at least one totally, inexplicably magical character. You know the one. Plus, they didn't retcon all the previously magical stuff - like in MGS2, when
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fortune is deprived of her magnetic-shield-thingy and still, for some reason, is able to deflect bullets.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JaronK
    Why on earth would there be superstition in a world where you can just ask the gods stuff? "Hey, I hear throwing salt over your shoulder prevents bad luck." "Oh yeah? I'll ask the god of luck, brb."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    Hey, it could be worse. It could be monks. One day, someone will start a thread titled "4E monks, more morally justified than 3.5 wizards!", and the world will end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq
    Now, of course, what is a ninja? (A miserable little pile of shuriken!)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    I cannot say yes hard enough. Switching SR to a D20 mechanic, in combination with dice tricks and whatnot, would be an amazing Psycho Mantis-esque boss battle.

Screw it. I'm so totally stealing that idea. The big Psyker boss battle in my next Dark Heresy game just got a lot more interesting...
    Would you work out the d20 versions ahead of time? That'd make the transition a bit smoother.
    Last edited by Maerok; 2010-06-01 at 02:53 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

For Shadowrun or Dark Heresy?

For Shadowrun, I'd randomly switch the skills to D20 based. So that when they shoot a pistol, its not Handgun skill + agility, but rather d20+handgun skill vs DC X. So you may combine Body+Armor or Reaction+Armor to get the character's Defense, and then roll attacks against that...

So lets say the player has 4 Handgun skill, and the baddie has 5 Reaction and 8 Armor. So the player rolls [roll]1d20+4[/roll] vs 13.

For Dark Heresy, I'm going to have flipped dice results, so if they roll a 31 its actually 13, 57 becomes 75, et cetera...

Actually, I may roll a D10 every round to determine the game modification.

1-3 - no change
    4-8 - dice results flip
    9 - char sheet switch
    10 - attributes flip

That'll make the BBEG battle more interesting...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Having played a lot of Shadowrun, I advice you not to use it to run this game.

The nice thing about the Shadowrun is the setting. The crappy thing about Shadowrun is... all of the ruleset. You're talking about just using the ruleset. Don't do it, it's not worth your time.

Between cumbersome, hard to use rules; slow combat; poor organization of the rulebooks; bad indexing; and a weird dice mechanic (dice pools aren't intuitive to most players) it's just not a good system. Try one of the others that people have suggested above.

Good luck!
    ap
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Wow, I thought I was the only one who felt that way after GMing. Loved the setting, hated the system.

Though I do think you could get it to work for MGS. Out of all the systems I've used (D20, CoC, Dark Heresy, Shadowrun), this one seems like the best choice...