New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 1,2,3 and NPC! Homebrew for Lower Levels and Non-Combatants

Quote Originally Posted by --Lime-- View Post
    Still need to do class skills and stuff, but they'll come. I'm picturing the barber taking a weapon finesse feat and going crazy with the razor he sneaked into the throne room, after making a coup de grace on the king's spinal cord with his scissors. Dancing around in a shower of blood. Heh. Chaotic evil was never less "ORC SMASH!" than it is now.
    Was that a *Sweeney Todd* reference? I don't know much about that work, but if it was a reference it was good, and if it isn't, someone should strongly consider statting out Sweeney Todd anyway, even that requires multiclassing in some Rogue or Expert levels.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Squire -- Warrior Variant

Squires are clerics, crusaders, knights, and paladins in training. They sacrifice some martial prowess in exchange for supernatural/divine abilities. Many temples will employ squires in place of or in addition to normal warriors.

Changes:

Base attack bonus decreases from 100% rate (good) to 75% rate (average).
    Gain Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) and Knowledge (Religion) as class skills.

Save DCs based off of Wisdom. Has initiator level = 1/2 class level and caster level = 1/3 class level.

At 1st level, may choose to learn a 1st-level Devoted Spirit maneuver (no refresh mechanic) or gain one 1st-level spell slot for a divine spell off of the Cleric list.

At 4th level, may choose to learn a 1st-level Devoted Spirit maneuver (no refresh mechanic) or gain one 1st-level spell slot for a divine spell off of the Cleric list.

At 8th level, may choose to learn a 2nd-level Devoted Spirit maneuver (no refresh mechanic) or gain one 1st-level spell slot for a divine spell off of the Cleric list.

At 12th level, may choose to learn a 3rd-level Devoted Spirit maneuver (no refresh mechanic) or gain one 2nd-level spell slot for a divine spell off of the Cleric list.

At 16th level, may choose to learn a 4th-level Devoted Spirit maneuver (no refresh mechanic) or gain one 3rd-level spell slot for a divine spell off of the Cleric list.

At 20th level, may choose to learn a 5th-level Devoted Spirit maneuver (no refresh mechanic) or gain one 3rd-level spell slot for a divine spell off of the Cleric list.
    Last edited by Merk; 2010-06-14 at 09:24 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

It was indeed heavily inspired by Sweeny Todd!

In terms of statting famous people, I was thinking about www.badassoftheweek.com and using that list to generate characters. It's something that needs more time than I have, at the moment, but a campaign where Joan of Arc and John Henry get together with some Persian princess or whatever to take on the Viking at Stamford Bridge.

Merk - I like the simplicity of that very, very much. I will probably make use of it, if that's okay with you?
    It is what it is unless it is what it isn't. Or isn't what it is. But if it isn't what it isn't then it is what it is.

Dungeon! game currently being run. If this tickles your fancy, and you'd like to be notified when the next round of signups opens, come and say hi in the OOC Thread!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by volthawk View Post
    THE WATCHMAN
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Alert Watchman, Shout

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Eagle-Eyed (20ft)

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |

4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |

5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Eagle-Eyed (25ft)

6th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |

7th|
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |

8th|
    +6/1
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |Eagle-Eyed (30ft)

9th|
    +6/1
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |

10th|
    +7/2
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |

11th|
    +8/3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |Eagle-Eyed (35ft)

12th|
    +9/4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |

13th|
    +9/4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |

14th|
    +10/5
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    |
    +4
    |Eagle-Eyed (40ft)

15th|
    +11/6/1
    |
    +5
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |

16th|
    +12/7/2
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |

17th|
    +12/7/2
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |Eagle-Eyed (45ft)

18th|
    +13/8/3
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |

19th|
    +14/9/4
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |

20th|
    +15/10/5
    |
    +6
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    |Eagle-Eyed (50ft)[/table]
    Fixed that table for you.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

5. - Top - End - #35

:o

How did I not notice that?!
    It is what it is unless it is what it isn't. Or isn't what it is. But if it isn't what it isn't then it is what it is.

Dungeon! game currently being run. If this tickles your fancy, and you'd like to be notified when the next round of signups opens, come and say hi in the OOC Thread!

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by --Lime-- View Post
    :o

How did I not notice that?!
    I've got a positive Wisdom modifier.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

7. - Top - End - #37

I think the barber is done

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

See the Domestic Sorcerer in my sig. He's the guy born with Sorcerer blood who never leaves home or hones his energy.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Fixed that table for you.
    Easily fixed. Thanks.

10. - Top - End - #40

Stylist also done. Just need to add in a rule about fixing botched haircuts.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Money per haircut is usually 2gp, and a shave 1gp.
    In a standard fantasy setting, wouldn't that mean that only the really rich could afford haircuts? Maybe decrease it to 1sp for a haircut and 5cp for a shave, meaning that the middle class can afford to do it fairly regularly but it is a pretty ridiculous luxury for the poorer folk.

Other stuff: Does this dress make me look like a DRAGON? Rules for Glamerweaving

Excellent gnome scribe avatar to match my username by licoot.

12. - Top - End - #42

Noted.

Gonna do the butcher next.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Any ideas for the 0 BAB aristocrat and adept?

Other stuff: Does this dress make me look like a DRAGON? Rules for Glamerweaving

14. - Top - End - #44

They should have a high amount of skills from being educated, class skills like ride and decipher script, some sort of leadership-boost if they're minor royals or whatever. Either high will saves if they're the mercantile type who spends his days poring over business reports and company figures, or high reflex if he's the playboy sort who spends all day on a horse hunting deer in his father's forest. In fact, you might split them up into two NPC classes: the playboy aristocrat and the socialite aristocrat. The socialite one is the one with business skills, or inherited money, and spends it on dinner parties and expensive art. Nice things, but the sort of things that get turned into heirlooms. Playboy aristocrats tend to burn through money, favouring orgies and showering in champagne and raiding, with their friends, the wine cellar that their socialite ancestors built up but may well have a large country residence to host these parties in. Just depends if you want them to be built for politics or pleasure.

15. - Top - End - #45

Just want to say that I have an outline for a "Magician's Assistant" that I'll share once I've had a chance to test it out. I'll say this about it, though:

In our world, when it doesn't seem to obey the laws of science, we are amazed and applaud.

In the DnD world, when it doesn't obey the laws of science, and it's done in an anti-magic field, or "detect magic" does nothing, then they are amazed and applaud.

As you can see, there's still room for rabbits and top hats yet!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

The 0-BAB Adept

Change all BAB numbers to 0.

At first level they get abilities called Magic Style +0 and Spell Focus

At fifth level they get Magic Style +1.

At tenth level they get Magic Style +2.

At fifteenth level they get Magic Style +3.

At twentieth level they get Magic Style +4.

Spell Focus: All 0 BAB adepts gain Spell Focus as a bonus feat at 1st level. If they already have spell focus they can gain it in a different school. If they already have spell focus in all schools, they can gain any other feat for which they meet the prerequisites.

Magic Style: At first level a 0 BAB adept chooses a magic style. This gives them a limitation, and starts to give them bonuses at 5th level. The magic styles follow:

Place Magic: Place magic adepts choose an area about the size of a village, a district in a city, or a small forest. The DM has the final say on what counts as the right size. They can choose another area of the same size each time their Magic Style bonus increases. Outside of these areas they cast adept spells at -1 caster level. Inside of these areas they add their Magic Style bonus to their caster level.

Spell Style: This is a collection of magic styles that work in the same way. The adept chooses one of the below types of spell. At least half of the spells they prepare every day have to be of that type. When their magic style bonus is +1 they gain an extra 1st-level spell slot in which they can only prepare spells of that type. When it is +2 they gain (in addition to the 1st level spell slot) a bonus 2nd level spell slot in which they can only prepare spells of that type. This pattern continues until 20th level. They also gain a number of extra spells (of their type) on their class list equal to their magic style bonus
    Types: Conjuration (Healing), Conjuration (Other), Fire, Water, Acid, Divination, Transmutation, Necromancy

Any other ideas for Magic Styles? Improvements on the current ones?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground

Coincidentally, I've been working up a list of "hireling feats" for quite a while. These are feats that are within reach of the average commoner, and that make them a little more useful as hirelings for the PCs. I'd hoped to come up with six (one for each ability score -- needing an 11 in each, putting you on the good side of average), but so far I've only got three.

Armour Bearer [General]
    You deftly tug straps and shift mail to fit armour in the shortest time possible.
    Prerequisite: Dex 11
    Benefit: When you assist a character to don or remove armour, the time required is one quarter rather than one half of normal. Actions that would take 5 rounds, such as removing a breastplate, instead take 3 rounds. Removing half-plate or full plate takes 2d6+3 rounds.

You can even assist with armours that cannot normally benefit from assistance, such as hide or light armours, or chainmail donned hastily.

Behind the scenes
    Spoiler
    Show
    For easy comparison, here's how the numbers work out (alone, helper, helper with feat):
    {table=head]Armour|Don|Don hastily|Remove
    Light or hide|1 min, 1 min, 5 rnds|5 rnds, 5 rnds, 3 rnds|1 min, 5 rnds, 3 rnds
    Breastplate, mail|4 min, 2 min, 1 min|1 min, 1 min, 5 rnds|1 min, 5 rnds, 3 rnds
    Half- or full plate|N/A, 4 min, 2 min|4 min, 2 min, 1 min|(1d4+1) min, (1d4+1)*5 rnds, 2d6+3 rnds[/table]

Mage’s Assistant [General]
    You are able to assist with many of the laboratory tasks and duties of a mage, under direction.
    Prerequisite: Int 11
    Benefit: You can activate spell trigger and spell completion items as if you had the spell list and caster level, or the Use Magic Device check, of another character. This character guides you through the activation, so you and your guide must be able to see and hear one another. You both take the same action at the same time, but all spell effects (and risks!) are triggered from your location, not the guide’s.

Optional rule: A caster can guide one character with this feat at a time, plus one per 4 points of Int bonus.

Additionally, you may make untrained Craft (Alchemy) checks to perform the aid another action.

Porter [General]
    By distributing loads effectively, you can shoulder a pack with less inconvenience than normal.
    Prerequisite: Str 11
    Benefit: Your Strength score is treated as being 2 points higher for the purposes of determining what is a light or medium load for you. Your heavy load limit does not change.

For example, a character with Strength 11 and this feat treats up to 50 lb. as a light load, and up to 100 lb. as a medium load (up from 38 lb. and 76 lb., respectively). The character’s maximum load is still 115 lb.

Behind the scenes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, +2 doesn't sound like much. I had originally intended to make it +4. But it has to be low enough that the new medium load limit doesn't exceed the (unchanged) heavy load limit. +4 would do that, and +3 would make them very close to each other -- sometimes over, sometimes under. +2 works out pretty well anyway, I think. Here's the (before) and after.
    {table=head]Str|Light|Medium|Heavy
    11|(38) 50|(76) 100|115
    12|(43) 58|(86) 116|130
    13|(50) 66|(100) 133|150
    18|(100) 133|(200) 266|300
    19|(116) 153|(233) 306|350
    [/table]

As for cantrips, I've posted quite a few from time to time. Rather than hunting them down, let me just point you to a list of spells I maintain elsewhere. Or formerly maintained; it really needs updating.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLonelyScribe View Post
    1sp for a haircut and 5cp for a shave
    Really? I would have priced a shave and a haircut, two cp.
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    Porter [General]
    By distributing loads effectively, you can shoulder a pack with less inconvenience than normal.
    Prerequisite: Str 11
    Benefit: Your Strength score is treated as being 2 points higher for the purposes of determining what is a light or medium load for you. Your heavy load limit does not change.

For example, a character with Strength 11 and this feat treats up to 50 lb. as a light load, and up to 100 lb. as a medium load (up from 38 lb. and 76 lb., respectively). The character’s maximum load is still 115 lb.

Behind the scenes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, +2 doesn't sound like much. I had originally intended to make it +4. But it has to be low enough that the new medium load limit doesn't exceed the (unchanged) heavy load limit. +4 would do that, and +3 would make them very close to each other -- sometimes over, sometimes under. +2 works out pretty well anyway, I think. Here's the (before) and after.
    {table=head]Str|Light|Medium|Heavy
    11|(38) 50|(76) 100|115
    12|(43) 58|(86) 116|130
    13|(50) 66|(100) 133|150
    18|(100) 133|(200) 266|300
    19|(116) 153|(233) 306|350
    [/table]
    For carting stuff long distances, there is no mechanical difference between medium and heavy encumberance. For this reason I wonder why heavy was the bracket you specifically DIDN'T increase?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    Really? I would have priced a shave and a haircut, two cp.
    I see what you did there...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    For carting stuff long distances, there is no mechanical difference between medium and heavy encumberance. For this reason I wonder why heavy was the bracket you specifically DIDN'T increase?
    The main reason is that the feat isn't meant to make the character "stronger" -- that is, able to carry heavier loads. It's just meant to make loads they could already carry less cumbersome.

An alternative means to this end would be to reduce the penalties for encumbrance (but only due to loads, not due to armour).

Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Found an interesting link on commoners, NPCs and children. Very much the kind of thing I like: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96043

21. - Top - End - #51

And now, the circle is complete. (Check the fine print for where the childhood rules started. I still mean to pick them up one day and hammer out the kinks.)
    Last edited by Peregrine; 2010-07-19 at 10:17 AM.

Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Banned

Go ahead, but I would have thought that those things would probably be covered by the Expert.
    Or even just a commoner with skill focus. A butcher doesn't need anything but ranks in one skill to survive.

Heck, I could do it with a half-orc butcher with 3 Int. Has 4 skill points, 1st level commoner. Take skill focus as feat for +7 in profession: butcher.

"Dur Uh... me cut meat. Meat make good delicious, you buy stranger."

"Yes, but I would like the pork and tenderloin..."

"You want pork and tendy loins? Yah, yah, yah me do that me do that get for you wait."

*gets pork and tenderloin*

"Oh wow, okay. Thanks."

"No worry but now pay. Money you pay now."

"Um right... right, thanks. I'll be going now."

"Bye come again it fun see you. We good chat good. Meat good. Want meat but it for customers so me wait."

-------
    Adult
    Size: Size same as base creature.
    Abilities: Subtract the lowest die rolled, add the remaining die.
    Feat: Youth feat is kept or subsided and a new one is chosen.
    HD and hp: HD is dependent on class; PC classes receive maximized hp, Commoner receives average.
    I think it should be listed that some racial affects depend on being an adult. For example, humans are typically open minded enough by adult stage to receive their human bonus feat then. Otherwise, they only have one feat as a youth (ages 10 - 15 or so).

But then again, it's GM discretion I suppose. A human could learn their first human bonus feat at any age.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-08-24 at 05:18 PM.