New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Discussion: PC Quirks

Does anyone give their characters traits, quirks, or just strage things that they like to do? Post them here!

I'll start:
    My Sorc character, Jack Redwave, likes to do battle in caves, hideouts, and castles, and then once the enemies have all been killed, he raids their kitchens and pantries, stealing their food. After all, they aren't going to be eationg it anytime soon heh heh

GraveGobbler Avatar still made by Ceika!

I'm revamping my blog. slightly new look, very new name, hopefully some new content soon.
    It's called Diceroller Flicks Goblin on The Grid and it's centered around RPG themed films and other stuff I want to put up.
    My Latest post? My favorite source of plot hooks for D&D
    http://goblinonthegrid.wordpress.com/

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Discussion: PC Quirks

I had a Spellguard of Silvermoon who would begin gulping whenever under stress or talking to a superior. The campaign died pretty fast, but she was still a fun character to play.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
    I had a Spellguard of Silvermoon who would begin gulping whenever under stress or talking to a superior. The campaign died pretty fast, but she was still a fun character to play.
    Yay! Role-playing! though my campaign might die out pretty soon as well
    Last edited by GoblinGilmartin; 2010-06-23 at 12:11 AM.

I'm revamping my blog. slightly new look, very new name, hopefully some new content soon.
    It's called Diceroller Flicks Goblin on The Grid and it's centered around RPG themed films and other stuff I want to put up.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I have an elf soceror with a cloak of holding which has no capacity limit, so he takes everything he can. The maps are just lying on the table. Swipe them. The rare monster is dead. Stuff it in the cloak. You only need the floor of the sarcophogus to block the trap door. No problem. Take the lid and mummy, and then cut off the sides and stuff them into the cloak. He has become a real packrat due to the cloak, and due to the low costs of some mundane items in the PHB. (3 gp for a year's supply of firewood. Guess who filled a 20X20 foot room with chopped wood)

5. - Top - End - #5

Quirks...

Well, my Warforged Artificer (called 'Glitch') always talks in third person, and thinks of itself, at least gender-wise, in the same context as a chair.

I had a Rogue with a 'hat of disguise', who used it to look exactly like the enemy he was in the thick of - except for a red-and-white knitted hat...

I had a shapeshifter Druid, who hated human form so spent as long as possible in the form of a black raven, and posing as the wizard's familiar. Once she obtained the ability to cast while wild-shaped, this got a whole lot funnier.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

I have a Rogue who grew up on the street, where food was scarce, so now she always asks the tavern owner if he has apples she can take. She always has at least 5 apples stowed away in her pockets or her bag.

7. - Top - End - #7

apples, pack-rats and food theives, oh my!

8. - Top - End - #8

I have an oratory bard who makes his normal talking needlessly complex.

"well, there appears to be a great oaken door on either side of the tower, we must open this one as it is the closest and it locks the heavy padlocked handle of the aforementioned other door."

he usually will just throw in a weird word while he talks, but gems like that pop out every once and a while.
    thanks to Vrythas for the Venser avatar!

Die Again, a Zombie Survival RPG

9. - Top - End - #9

I have a vampire in V:TM that quotes classical literature after killing victims.

For example, he's beaten another vampire to the ground, he places his Winchester '73 to his opponent's temple and says: "Quoth the raven, nevermore.", before shooting him.
    Credit to Bradakhan for the amazing avatar.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Graek Wolf-Fang View Post
    I have a vampire in V:TM that quotes classical literature after killing victims.

For example, he's beaten another vampire to the ground, he places his Winchester '73 to his opponent's temple and says: "Quoth the raven, nevermore.", before shooting him.
    i must admit, that sounds pretty B.A

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I did something similar on a crusader in a Kingdoms of Kalamar game, he flipped to a random page of the bible for directions on any important decisions. Pretty much doing my best Pulp Fiction impersonation.

Other quirks...on my 4E psion, she frequently sends mental messages to other party members by accident with whatever she's currently thinking about, i.e. "Hmm...should I have the chicken or the fish?"
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Akal Saris View Post
    Other quirks...on my 4E psion, she frequently sends mental messages to other party members by accident with whatever she's currently thinking about, i.e. "Hmm...should I have the chicken or the fish?"
    ha ha ha! LOL

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Ennael removes her combat scars every other month by peeling her skin off and then have regeneration cast on it. She also posses a board of Punching Chess. She also doesn't like fish.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    Ennael removes her combat scars every other month by peeling her skin off and then have regeneration cast on it. She also posses a board of Punching Chess. She also doesn't like fish.
    that sounds brutal, neat!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

My Kellen (NE druid) has a tendency to try to eat anything the party has killed that looks remotely edible. Including goblins, trolls, etc. Justified by being a druid. Hey, that's how nature should work, don't waste all that good meat!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I have a player who likes to joke around. He's learning not to joke around where it could be taken as In Character conversation, but due to past comments:

He woke up a sleeping Fire Lizard that then burned his character into ash.

He also joked that he touched said fire lizard in an intimate manner, which led to the toasting he received, AND he now has a reputation for liking lizards and reptiles that is known over half the continent. So much so that when a half-dragon joined the party, and and learned his name, her first words to him were "don't even think about it." He's a half-elf, by the way.

Honestly unrelated, but oddly going together with the previous events, his comments, twice, that he "likes turtles" has led a giant 10 foot wide turtle to appear during a fight the first time, and a 20 foot giant turtle to appear behind a door the second time. There are advantages to already having the god of reptiles and randomness, Pun Pun, in the area... :)

That first turtle then shrunk to normal size and became living stone, again due to his random comments. It's name is Stony.

He is truly the most fun player I have in my game right now.
    The Silverclawshift Campaign Journals Two FANTASTIC campaigns detailed here. An absolute must read.

"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

I had Rosalyn, high priestess of the Bomb God.

She would often be called in to disarm bombs.

She never failed, but she threw grenades as part of the disarming rites, much to the dismay of her coworkers.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Malificus View Post
    I had Rosalyn, high priestess of the Bomb God.

She would often be called in to disarm bombs.

She never failed, but she threw grenades as part of the disarming rites, much to the dismay of her coworkers.
    Bringing new meanings to BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD! eh? I ought to try that.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Zardok, wizard, madman, big spender.

The thing he enjoyed doing was throwing his money around. Magic Items? Adventuring Gear? Nah, that's a waste of money.

Buying all the booze from the local taverns, several animals from nearby farms and space in the town square all so he can throw a massive party/BBQ in the town square? A good investment of several hundred gold.

Scrolls? Donating to the poor? Paying for useful services? Frivolous!

Getting several hundred gold converted into copper coins, then loading it all in a wheel barrow, then running into a small town schoolhouse and dumping it all on the floor? Obviously a wise decision!

Developing new spells? Utility Wands? Pointless!

Contracting a team of gnomish alchemists and wizards to develop a new outfit for him? Doesn't see how there is any other choice.
    Last edited by Mr.Moron; 2010-06-23 at 02:52 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Akal Saris View Post
    Yeah, I did something similar on a crusader in a Kingdoms of Kalamar game, he flipped to a random page of the bible for directions on any important decisions. Pretty much doing my best Pulp Fiction impersonation.

I had an NPC assassin (Actually just a high level rogue) who spoke only by quoting Shakespeare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Elf sorcerer. More carnivorous than herbivorous. Had a wagon with a barrel full of salt for preserving meat. Said meat included diced hobgoblin, orc, ogre... whatever was available. Used presdigitation for flavoring.

(Edit: Forgot - he had his teeth filed to points.)
    Last edited by Umael; 2010-06-23 at 04:21 PM.
    1. Have fun. It's only a game.
    2. The GM has the final say. Everyone else is just a guest.
    3. The game is for the players. A proper host entertains one's guests.
    4. Everyone is allowed an opinion. Some games are not as cool as they seem.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anon Omys View Post
    ...a cloak of holding which has no capacity limit...
    I want that for my next character, and I'll pretty much do exactly the same thing with it. Of course, I normally play stealthy characters so it'll be like Garrett from the Thief series; by the time you're ready to leave the level, you're carrying five times your weight in silver candlesticks and everything valuable that wasn't nailed down has disappeared mysteriously.

I normally try to find a quirk for a given character that is helpful to the group and can help to make decisions in combat. (Read that article in the Gaming section on the left there about Making Tough Decisions if you haven't already. It's a good one.) My Warforged Fighter (4e, because full attacking is horribly dull) is protective of everyone in his group, and will normally advocate napalming any room that might contain a threat because of it. Fun times.
    Last edited by AvatarZero; 2010-06-23 at 04:48 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

I've had...
    -a wizard who insists on teleporting everywhere in his comfy chair.
    -A scout who only travels by dancing.
    -A woman who was in love with her brother.
    -A pirate who was secretly in love with his sister (above) and named his ship after her.
    -A shaman who only speaks in a heavy Jamaican dialect.
    -A warforged who wanted to be human so bad, he would splash mugs full of ale on his face while his partymembers drank.
    -The same warforged who, in another attempt to be human, drew on a moustache.
    -A kender with OCD who survived entirely on luck rolls.
    -A wizard who insists on wearing an immaculately-kept three-piece suit wherever he goes.
    -The same wizard who, whenever given a beverage, casts prestidigitation to make it taste like a cappucino (but only AFTER sticking his finger in it and going PSSSSSSSH).
    -A bard/warlock with tuberculosis.
    -A factotum/archivist who desperately wants the party to believe he is a trained medical doctor, even though he is getting them addicted to various drugs (Book of Vile Darkness)...er, I mean "vitamins."
    -A duskblade who hides his intelligence for fear that it would make him seem weak.

But I wouldn't call any of them quirky, per se.

24. - Top - End - #24

Sir Thomas Falhurst, the elite array ubercharging knight with Asperger Syndrome. He would get nervous in any situation where there were too many people. Obsessively, he would clean and talk to his horse, Chester.

He was a nice guy.
    GMs 3.5, cWoD, Rogue Trader, Monsterhearts, The Pool, and Fudge. Narrativist, wacky builder, and dancer.

25. - Top - End - #25

Planetar

I have a Gnome Bardbarian who when looting a body would take everything. He has several sets of clothes, including women's clothes, lots of pointless items and a lucky random bit of treasure got him a ring of spell turning... at level 9

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post

*couldn't find a pic of Haro with drawn-on moustache*

*is ashamed*

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

There was a tragically short-lived halfling who honestly thought he could "take on" anyone and everyone. He initiated all the combats the party got on (which is to say, both of them) before his demise.

Another was a kobold who insisted that he is a great wyrm dragon, and that everyone should treat him as such. He kept most of his wealth as gold coins and other valuables, and slept curled over his bag of holding.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2010-06-23 at 05:31 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Dixon Lynch, the Knowledge Devotion Swift hunter who's obsessed with books. If there is a book that is unclaimed, chances are he will want it. Is very abrasive and has a tendency to lecture when it is revealed someone does not know the weaknesses and strengths of [insert monster here].
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassetking View Post
    ...You don't know joy, until you look into the eyes of the GM, and see a scream of terror frozen right behind his pupils.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    I've had...
    -a wizard who insists on teleporting everywhere in his comfy chair.
    -A scout who only travels by dancing.
    -A woman who was in love with her brother.
    -A pirate who was secretly in love with his sister (above) and named his ship after her.
    -A shaman who only speaks in a heavy Jamaican dialect.
    -A warforged who wanted to be human so bad, he would splash mugs full of ale on his face while his partymembers drank.
    -A kender with OCD who survived entirely on luck rolls.
    -A wizard who insists on wearing an immaculately-kept three-piece suit wherever he goes.
    -The same wizard who, whenever given a beverage, casts prestidigitation to make it taste like a cappucino (but only AFTER sticking his finger in it and going PSSSSSSSH).
    -A bard/warlock with tuberculosis.
    -A factotum/archivist who desperately wants the party to believe he is a trained medical doctor, even though he is getting them addicted to various drugs (Book of Vile Darkness)...er, I mean "vitamins."
    -A duskblade who hides his intelligence for fear that it would make him seem weak.

But I wouldn't call any of them quirky, per se.
    incest, jamaicans, and mustaches, that sounds quirky to me

(or is that kinky?)
    Last edited by GoblinGilmartin; 2010-06-23 at 05:31 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

I once played a knight of Breland in 3.5 Eberron who's idea of courage was charging recklessly into battle. Often by charging down doors.
    Things went badly when a ledge was directly on teh other side of a door that shot paralyzing poison, and he found himself prone and surrounded by cultists.
    After surviving that, he took the cowardly approach of waiting for the door to be opened, and -then- charging. At one point the party had to infiltrate a castle through the city sewers, and he dealt with the Driders that lurked in part of a sewer complex behind a stone door by literally filling said area to the top with oil and then throwing a torch towards the door while a psion opened it.
    He died in that same adventure after the party, still acting like goofs from the flaming sewer incident, threw a series of four elemental potions into a furnace. Said potions, when interacting with 'flames' turned into various elementals. When thrown in all at once, you get a huge air-fire-water-earth elemental that is very, very angry. Needlessly to say, in order to defend the party he charged out of the alcove, and the wizard's invisibility sphere, with his lance, was promptly disarmed, and never even got a chance to draw his longsword before dieing.

He was later replaced by an awakened cat psion telekineticist.