New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Any Interesting Bard Performs?

as we all know, bards can have a variety of ways to inspire his teammates. there are the standard lyre, flute, drums, or other instrument. some go with poetry or singing. the joker bard if i recall correctly had perform oratory! you can dance, tell jokes, and so much more! so what is your favorite!

i have to say mine is a very silly one. i had a bard who had a perform:mime check. silent spell made me an even better bard. unfortunately, i think i became the first bard made by a guy who has at least some experience in DnD to not take glibness (i had no use for bluff, i didnt talk)
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Any Interesting Bard Performs?

Perform: Vocalized Guitar.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Shamefully Raw it doesn't work. I always wanted to play a dancing bard or something, but SRD clearly states it's needs to verbal, unless you are playing an instrument.
    Also Silent Spell makes a clear exception for bards.
    As DM I would accept it, nothing says "Inspire Competence" then a bard that's stuck in a invisible glass box. Or "Inspire Heroics" with a nice ballet dance.

I do have played a bard that smashed his guitar lute at the end of every performance and sometimes mid battle on enemies. I had both perform Lute and Singing, so I was never without my abilities. It did got expensive, until the party bought some kind of living crystal lute that regenerated.
    It got me killed, because suddenly there was no penalty for smashing my instrument I ran into every front line. Silly me.
    ~~And now I'm moving... Shouldn't change that much in my posting... But Hitting is still allowed when I slack off.~~

Thanks a lot to GreenMuffin, again, for another awesome avatar. Steampunk warforged ftw!

My dragons:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Perform: horrid screaming

We were playing a cliche evil party
    "When the DM is smiling, it's already too late"

Paranoia is fun, other games are not; play paranoia (and also 3.5, I play that alot too)

Spoiler
    Show
    Originally Posted by NNescio
    "Of course all magic manipulates energy, First Law of Thermodynamics, duh!"

See, the thing is, energy in D&D does not mean the same thing as it does in Physics.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thee of them that I've wanted to play but have yet to have a chance:
    An assassin-type bard with Perform: Disturbing Detailed Account Of What I'm About To Do To You, backed up with a full compliment of feats and abilities to make his sneak attack particularly nasty.

A warblade/bard with Perform: Ritual Chant and Perform: Dance, with standard snowflake wardance stuff. Comes across as an elegantly brutal pseudo-barbarian.

Lyric Theumaturge buffer with Perform: Hum and Perform: Nonsense Singsong. Wandering off to chase butterflies optional.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
    Thee of them that I've wanted to play but have yet to have a chance:
    An assassin-type bard with Perform: Disturbing Detailed Account Of What I'm About To Do To You, backed up with a full compliment of feats and abilities to make his sneak attack particularly nasty.
    That's technically oratory =P

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I had a bard in an unfortunately short-lived campaign who played the bagpipes.

Wasn't exactly the suble type, but he never had trouble making his magical songs HEARD.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Gotta be drums man.

Nothing like the bard belting out a romanticized version of "I Don't Wanna Work" during a festival. Picked up levels of War Chanter and got himself dinosaur mount, pretending to be one of the units from Warcraft 3.

Reminds me that I wanna do an "all orc" campaign one of these times.

"Oh yeah, there's a group of low-level adventurers here to kill your family."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    That's technically oratory =P
    I know. But I don't exactly like the system. Describing in graphic detail what violence you're going to inflict is completely different from the types of things you'd say during a religious gathering, in an address to a recently-conquered people, or as inspiring epitaph just before combat is met. Yet they're all covered by Perform: Oratory.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hague View Post
    Gotta be drums man.
    I'm running a game now where one of the players is running a Halfling Bard // Warlock necromancer "Thriller Bard".

She uses Perform (Percussion) by playing the ribcage of her riding dog skeleton like a xylophone.

11. - Top - End - #11

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    as we all know, bards can have a variety of ways to inspire his teammates. there are the standard lyre, flute, drums, or other instrument. some go with poetry or singing. the joker bard if i recall correctly had perform oratory! you can dance, tell jokes, and so much more! so what is your favorite!

i have to say mine is a very silly one. i had a bard who had a perform:mime check. silent spell made me an even better bard. unfortunately, i think i became the first bard made by a guy who has at least some experience in DnD to not take glibness (i had no use for bluff, i didnt talk)
    I haven't encountered weird performskills, but there is a bard player in a group i play with who tends to actually start singing what her bard sings...Anyways, in the campaign we were playing, the DM didn't name the country the PCs were from, he said it was inconsequential. So naturally, the country got named Inconsequentia. The bard's usual insprie courage song was "Inconsequentia is so great...", sung in a very shrill voice.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Perform (Mime) is all kinds of fun, especially mixed with Evangelist from Complete Divine. The idea of using a Perform (Mime) check for Convert the Unfaithful is quite amusing. Note to self: Run with this. Are there any Cleric/Bard dual-progression PrCs? Jazzhands, High Priest of the Silent God. I think I like it...
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

How about One-Man Band? Drums, cymbals, harmonica, accordion, all in one convenient package!

Other fun options:
    sousaphone-style tuba
    digeridoo (spelling?)
    double bass
    baritone sax
    mouth harp
    musical saw
    yodel (Riiiiiicolaaaaa!)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

I'm a fan of Perform (Juggling), especially with throwing knives and the like. Perform (Evil Laugh) is a good one for evil parties. Perform (Kazoo) is fun for a joke campaign, especially if you have one at the table.

For a four-armed character in an old campaign, I had Perform (Double-Necked Lute).

Hooray for Gooba!
    Ranch Barkner
    The Neverknown

Catch for us the foxes,
    the little foxes that ruin the vineyards,
    our vineyards that are in bloom.
    Song of Songs 2:15

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Now I've got the itch to play a chubby, sweaty bard with Perform (Armpit Farts). I think it would work well in a silly game.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Perform Harpischord (I DMed an evil campaign, the Bard spread word of the PCs through the use of a wheeled Harpischord)

Perform Dulcimer, sitar, Upright bass, percussion (The whole party formed a wandering gypsy band, through the investment in perform ranks)

18. - Top - End - #18

Beholder

Yes! Now we need to develop a PrC based around Perform (Buffoonery) call it the Goof-Off, an ode to Dragon Quest 3.

19. - Top - End - #19

Awesome Bleachatar by Terry576.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Levethix the Dray Arcane Swordsage from the harsh world of Dark Sun.

Fallout bloody mess avatar by C-Lam.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm revoking your posting privelages.
    I don't actually have any powers that allow me to do such a thing, but instead, I give you this to discourage your ever posting again. RAWR.

I'm kidding, you know.

EDIT: It is surprisingly hard to hide hyperlinks in whitetext.
    Last edited by Deth Muncher; 2010-06-23 at 06:37 PM.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

21. - Top - End - #21

*cough*

Methinks it would be especially fitting in a CN party, but that's just me.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Thumbs up Re: Any Interesting Bard Performs?

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    I think I just fell in love. That is the most awesome thing I have ever seen/heard.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

It's not exactly the most unique character concept on the block, but I currently have a dragonforged bard/crusader/warblade who was a wartime commander that uses Perform (Oration; not Oratory - Oration) on his allies to direct them on the field of battle, rather than singing at them or giving praise.

He's buffed up for inspire courage (partially Pathfinder bard 3, CL 5, with +8 to hit and damage) and has a set of incredibly loud war drums for mass battles (since drums were originally - at least partially - used for long-distance communications during war-time), and uses Perform (Percussion) for the times when he's wanting to affect distant allies (since proper lambeg drums are louder than jet engines, and can be played to be heard from literally miles away). Those drums? Grant an extra +2 to IC with Words of Creation.

He also uses White Raven maneuvers and Devoted Spirit to boost and buff his allies and to make his direction actually meaningful. Since the group is entirely composed of people who can kick arse in physical combat (bard/crusader/warblade, factotum/swordsage, druid and baby t-rex companion, and a non-combat artificer who has a 9 HD warbeast polar bear...at level 5...and a DMPC archer), he's going to be extremely viable.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2010-06-23 at 08:41 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Does Profession (siege engineer) provide a synergy bonus when performing the 1812 Overture?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
    Does Profession (siege engineer) provide a synergy bonus when performing the 1812 Overture?
    I'd just give it to perform: cannons.
    Last edited by Ormur; 2010-06-23 at 11:11 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Perform: Obscure Warcries

"Fooooorrrrr Ponnnyyyy!"

"OOGLIBOO!!"

"I'M JUST A SWEET TRANSVESTITE!"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

In a campaign I ran one time there was an OA samurai with max ranks in perform haiku. In the same campaign was a gully dwarf bard with max ranks in perform rain stick and rat.
    Last edited by gorfnab; 2010-06-24 at 03:32 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

I'm using Perform (Awesome) right now. Basically I run around chewing scenery and generally being an over-the-top overactor.

(Mechanically, it's perform: dance so I qualify for snowflake wardance, but I defend this by saying that kabuki is a kind of dance, and if anyone asks, this is explicitly BAD kabuki. You know, the kind that people think they're doing when they've never seen a kabuki play but have maybe played a Goemon game.)
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    It's not exactly the most unique character concept on the block, but I currently have a dragonforged bard/crusader/warblade who was a wartime commander that uses Perform (Oration; not Oratory - Oration) on his allies to direct them on the field of battle, rather than singing at them or giving praise.

He's buffed up for inspire courage (partially Pathfinder bard 3, CL 5, with +8 to hit and damage) and has a set of incredibly loud war drums for mass battles (since drums were originally - at least partially - used for long-distance communications during war-time), and uses Perform (Percussion) for the times when he's wanting to affect distant allies (since proper lambeg drums are louder than jet engines, and can be played to be heard from literally miles away). Those drums? Grant an extra +2 to IC with Words of Creation.

He also uses White Raven maneuvers and Devoted Spirit to boost and buff his allies and to make his direction actually meaningful. Since the group is entirely composed of people who can kick arse in physical combat (bard/crusader/warblade, factotum/swordsage, druid and baby t-rex companion, and a non-combat artificer who has a 9 HD warbeast polar bear...at level 5...and a DMPC archer), he's going to be extremely viable.
    Similar to this, I once played a bard who used perform: oratory to make inspiring political speeches to fit the situation... and threaten allies who were scared. If any PC's or hirelings ran, I'd attack them. Yup, I played a commissar. ^___^
    Oh, anything I want he gives it to me
    Anything I want he gives it, but not for free