New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Do You Love Vikings?

Hmmm, sounds like the start of a song: "Do you love Vikings, like I love vikings....?"

Anyway, so I was over on the Kobold Quarterly site and saw that they have a new patronage project up and running that looks like it suits my love of beards, axes, and crushing the jewelled thrones of the earth beneath my sandalled feet: Frozen Empires: Glories of the North.

Now I'm grooving to the viking vibe pretty heavily, but most of my refernce books seem to have gone to Valhalla while I wasn't looking! Chomping at the bit for more materials, I've checked out the Prose Edda, The Longships, and translations of the classic myths; I've watched The 13th Warrior, The Vikings, Pathfinder, and Outlander, and I've dug out my old AD&D Vikings sourcebook.

Anyone have any ideas on what else is out there to slake my norse thirst on? Particularly in a Pathfindery D&Ding it up kind of viking way?

Cheers in advance
    Coming Soon....

Orbis Terrarum RPG: Gritty heroism in a customisable world of secrets, daemons, and strange ecologies...The historical roleplaying game of a make-believe world. Meet us on Facebook, Google Plus, and coming soon to kickstarter!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Do You Love Vikings?

Well, Hurstwic is definitely worth a look.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

By Pathfinder, do you mean the game system, or that reference you listed? If you mean the system, then the PF Barbarian would work pretty well, with maybe a short dip in Fighter or Rogue.

EDIT: Oh, you meant more references. Never mind, then.
    Last edited by AtopTheMountain; 2010-07-01 at 08:59 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Any reason you have the Prose Edda and not the Poetic Edda?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Topic
    Do You Love Vikings?
    I'm from Minnesota of course I do

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

GURPS Viking is a good reference source, even if you aren't going to use the GURPS system.

I also have "Proverbs from the North: Words of Wisdom from the Vikings", translated from the Icelandic by Joanne Asala. It is a very little known book that is wonderful for getting both a handle on the way Vikings (at least, the wise ones) think as well as giving insight into their culture. It also includes a list of resources and recommended reading in the back. It's only 63 pages long, and most of it is large font and some illustrations.

Interestingly, there was another book I purchased when I was in Norway that I have since found is missing. I was nine at the time, and the book was called Time Traveler's Guide to Vikings (I still have the Time Traveler's Guide to Knights & Castles - unless I am mistaken and it was my brother who purchased the Viking one). Pity. It had a lot of simple details and was very easy to read, yet still engaging enough now that I'm an adult. It discussed things like the fact that Viking helmets do NOT have horns on them (although I learned later on that isn't wholly true, as horns and wings are part of the helmets used in wedding ceremonies), what a real Viking axe looks like, and so on.

One more tidbit - when I was creating a world for a D&D campaign (which, sadly, died a premature death), I modeled various races on particular cultures. The halflings, of all people, were the Vikings.

(And yes, it worked. In a weird, twisted way, it worked.)
    1. Have fun. It's only a game.
    2. The GM has the final say. Everyone else is just a guest.
    3. The game is for the players. A proper host entertains one's guests.
    4. Everyone is allowed an opinion. Some games are not as cool as they seem.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you want some original sources you could check out the Icelandic Sagas. Egils saga is probably one of the best for your purposes since the protagonist is a warrior poet with anger management issues that travels around Northern Europe to kill and insult people. Njáls saga is also among the more famous but deals mostly with infighting in the Icelandic Commonwealth with a visit to Norway.
    Hávamál
    is a collection of advices and maxims about proper conduct for "Vikings". It could give you a sense of their values. It's a part of the Poetic Edda.

The Prose Edda is a very good account of the mythology. For something a bit easier to digest I really enjoyed the Danish Valhalla comic books about the Old Norse Gods but they might not be available in English. But the illustration have pretty much defined how I picture Norse mythology so it might still help you.