New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [3.5] Shadow Conjuration

In a friend's upcoming campaign, I'm playing a Beguiler, and I built the character so I could take Shadow Conjuration or another 4th level spell if I really ended up wanting to. However, looking over the Conjuration(Creation) and Conjuration(Summoning) spells from 1st-3rd level, I am rather unimpressed.

Are there some great spells from splatbooks (and so on) in this range that I'm overlooking?
    Last edited by Jergmo; 2010-07-05 at 04:15 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "Sunder the wall?! WT**** kind of tactics are these!?"
    Me: The kind that armies have been using for millennia.
    DM: They didn't do it with swords!
    Me: Which makes us so much cooler.

Player: Where are the babau in relation to everyone else?
    Me: They're right behind you. Vesil is covered in Loki's blood. That is their location in relation to you.
    Player: I was just wondering about a fireball.

My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Shadow Conjuration

Well, there's:
    The Lesser Orbs (Spell Compendium)
    Glitterdust, Web, Stinking Cloud (Core - Will, Reflex, and Fort save-or-suck spells)
    Phantom Steed (Core)

Basically, you take Shadow Conjouration, not because the spells it fakes are impressive, but because it gives you access to things that help with several classes of critters that would pretty much bend you over and have their way with you, otherwise.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

killer gnome guides tend to have some good suggestions for that I think.
    Don't have a link though...
    "Quick Draw. It grants the ability to turn any boring non-combat scenario into combat as a FREE ACTION."-Deleted User

Handy links:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

1d4+1 celestial trapmonkies.

In addition to just using things like Grease and Web as they are normally used, people will probably avoid them entirely if you cast them right. I.e. if you web part of a room, people will avoid it on principle and therefore never be allowed a save in the first place. Grease, whether real or not, will probably be avoided when it's on a slope that leads down to a drop, or on a narrow bridge.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

5. - Top - End - #5

Hmm...alright, I'll take a closer look at things. Thank you, strangers!

Actually, summoning 1d3 Lemures doesn't sound like a bad idea...we've got gosh-darned elven wizards with fireballs to contend with, summoning them right next to one sounds fun. It'd at least serve as a distraction.
    Last edited by Jergmo; 2010-07-05 at 04:35 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Me: They're right behind you. Vesil is covered in Loki's blood. That is their location in relation to you.

My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #6

Wait...if I were to use Shadow Conjuration to acquire Greater Mage Armor, and it was recognized as an illusion...would it only grant 1 AC?

Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hi

Beguilers, Hmmm......... yummy!

Don't forget Mass Whelm, linked in with SF Enchantment, and Unsettling Enchantment works well.

Just a thought, but since you could technically cast a fire spell with Shadow Conjuration, does that meet prereq for Fiery Burst?

Thanks
    Paul H

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jergmo View Post
    Wait...if I were to use Shadow Conjuration to acquire Greater Mage Armor, and it was recognized as an illusion...would it only grant 1 AC?
    That's right. Google for 'Killer Gnome' and Shadowcraft Mage to see builds that get around this little problem. It's a bookkeeping problem for the DM and a potentially lethal issue for the PC. Find ways to boost your DC as high as possible, and then lengthen those spells with good DCs.
    Last edited by nargbop; 2010-07-05 at 07:41 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by nargbop View Post
    That's right. Google for 'Killer Gnome' and Shadowcraft Mage to see builds that get around this little problem. It's a bookkeeping problem for the DM and a potentially lethal issue for the PC. Find ways to boost your DC as high as possible, and then lengthen those spells with good DCs.
    Well, I do have Shadow Weave Magic and Insidious Magic if that's part of it. Although I thought it would count as being interacted with if someone attacks me.

Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

No. The only one actually affected by the illusion is you, so as long as you intentionally fail the save, you'll get the full effect of the spell. Even if you make the save for some reason, you'll have 20% chance to acquire the Greater Mage Armor, and 80% for the spell not to affect you; lessening the AC bonus isn't part of the rules.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    No. The only one actually affected by the illusion is you, so as long as you intentionally fail the save, you'll get the full effect of the spell. Even if you make the save for some reason, you'll have 20% chance to acquire the Greater Mage Armor, and 80% for the spell not to affect you; lessening the AC bonus isn't part of the rules.
    If my insane, dysfunctional companions fail to be in the way, melee attacks would be interacting with it.

Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

If my insane, dysfunctional companions fail to be in the way, melee attacks would be interacting with it.
    If you use Shadow Conjuration to give enemies a -2 to attack, would the people they attack get a save to negate the -2? The spell only targets you, and provides a bonus for you, so by RAW, enemies would not get a save against it. It could be houseruled to work that way, but I really don't see the point in nerfing the spell that way.
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

If you use Shadow Conjuration to give enemies a -2 to attack, would the people they attack get a save to negate the -2? The spell only targets you, and provides a bonus for you, so by RAW, enemies would not get a save against it. It could be houseruled to work that way, but I really don't see the point in nerfing the spell that way.
    If I use Shadow Evocation to put a resilient Sphere around the Rogue, does the golem walk through it and squish the Rogue? The golem encounters it when it blocks his path. It always permits SR. The golem is immune to effects that permit SR. So the golem walks right through? Or not? Why the distinction from a regular old Greater Shadow Evocation Wall of Force?

It's fuzzy enough that you'll get different answers from different DM's.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2010-07-05 at 08:15 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

It can also emulate Create Magic Tattoo (besides the above mentioned Greater Mage Armor) without the material component cost.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    If I use Shadow Evocation to put a resilient Sphere around the Rogue, does the golem walk through it and squish the Rogue? The golem encounters it when it blocks his path. It always permits SR. The golem is immune to effects that permit SR. So the golem walks right through? Or not? Why the distinction from a regular old Greater Shadow Evocation Wall of Force?
    That's different because the sphere is an actual object that blocks LoE, which means it can be touched by other creatures. Mage Armor simply provides a bonus to a statistic, which is quite different by RAW.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Good sir, may I direct you to horde of servants in the spell compendium...

This gives you 2d6+Caster level of invisible servants... these servants have Strength 2 and thus can pull 100 lbs and carry 20 lbs. In addition, they can all hold an alchemist fire, or an acid, and be instructed to drop them in the opposing square.

In addition, they take up a square so they break charges and multiples of them may force squeezing penalties on those in the same square. In addition, I find them to be great distractions when I am invisible. I give them all an alchemist fire and cast ventriloquism. My opponents attack the square it comes from, hit an alchemist fire and take damage... Also good for thunderstones. A wand of benign transposition is also great with the above for getting out of tight situations.

Next on the list is Summon monster III for 1d4+1 hawks or ravens. Why those, well they have the highest attack bonus for their number. "But they do not deal damage" you reply, but they do. Aid another requires you to hit AC 10 and flanking is caused by having someone on the other side. ~3 of these birds can supply +8 to hit for the party Power attacker or +6 to AC as they ruin attacks by going for the eye. Do not forget that they can also use AOO and ready actions, nothing is better than to have them attack a mage while he is casting a spell because he might fail his concentration check.

Another spell I find myself using often is Phantom Steeds, nothing like traveling on a motorcycle (seriously do the conversions to MPH) to get from point a to point b.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Fighter/Paladin will just hack you to bits

A Wizard/Sorcerer will just blow you up with a spell

A Rogue/Ranger/Monk will just kill you in your sleep

A Cleric/Druid will just squash you after buffing himself

A Bard will slowly twist your ethics, corrupt your morals, and make you do vile acts just for the chance to face him. When you fight him, he will have your family and friends fighting for him. For he wields the deadliest weapon against you and that is, his word against yours.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Emulating phantom steed as a standard action (instead of 10 minutes) is another good use of said spell.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

That's different because the sphere is an actual object that blocks LoE, which means it can be touched by other creatures. Mage Armor simply provides a bonus to a statistic, which is quite different by RAW.
    And Mage Armor is not actually getting in the way of blows? The spell description says it's a "tangible field" that "surrounds the subject" - why wouldn't it be ignored by a critter with Magic Immunity if it permitted SR?

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by quiet1mi View Post
    -snip-
    Ha, nice. I didn't know Unseen Servants were actually tangible in that way, though.

Do you happen to know what page the spell is on, or somewhere it's posted? I can't seem to find anything doing a search, but hunting and pecking through the SpC'll work.

Edit: Nevermind. I was looking for "Horde of Servants" when it's "Servant Horde".
    Last edited by Jergmo; 2010-07-05 at 09:13 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    And Mage Armor is not actually getting in the way of blows? The spell description says it's a "tangible field" that "surrounds the subject" - why wouldn't it be ignored by a critter with Magic Immunity if it permitted SR?
    That description is simply fluff; in game terms, it just gives a target a bonus to AC, meaning it only interacts with the target. Perhaps it might make sense for it to allow SR/saves from enemies, but that's houserule territory. As written, Mage Armor targets you and gives you a bonus; it doesn't affect anyone else, and it doesn't create an object to be interacted with.