New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default [Star Wars Saga Edition] Multiclassing and Lightsaber Building

I'm playing a Scoundrel 4/Jedi 3 in a Saga Edition game with the intention of eventually taking levels in the Jedi Knight prestige class. One of the prerequisites is constructing my own lightsaber. Unfortunately, the rulebook seems to have conflicting rules on when this is possible.

The section on building a lightsaber states that you need 7 heroic levels and the Force Sensitivity and Weapon Proficiency (lightsabers) feats. On the other hand, the table detailing jedi class features adds this ability at 7th level.

Is there any official errata clarifying this? If not how would you interpret it?
    "Well, as Captain Leif Meldrock says in Mars Needs Lumberjacks, I'm ready for anything."
    ~The Hero, The Secret of Evermore

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: [Star Wars Saga Edition] Multiclassing and Lightsaber Building

Quote Originally Posted by Woot Spitum View Post
    I'm playing a Scoundrel 4/Jedi 3 in a Saga Edition game with the intention of eventually taking levels in the Jedi Knight prestige class. One of the prerequisites is constructing my own lightsaber. Unfortunately, the rulebook seems to have conflicting rules on when this is possible.

The section on building a lightsaber states that you need 7 heroic levels and the Force Sensitivity and Weapon Proficiency (lightsabers) feats. On the other hand, the table detailing jedi class features adds this ability at 7th level.

Is there any official errata clarifying this? If not how would you interpret it?
    Unfortunately, the Wizards SW site is gone, but I seem to remember an official ruling that any 7th level character could make a lightsaber, and the entry on the Jedi class table was just there as a reminder.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

It's only 7 heroic levels, that a Jedi has an ability to build them at 7th level is because they also have...seven heroic levels.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Plactus View Post
    Unfortunately, the Wizards SW site is gone, but I seem to remember an official ruling that any 7th level character could make a lightsaber, and the entry on the Jedi class table was just there as a reminder.
    This is correct. The table entry is mostly just a quick reference/reminder. Any 7th level character can build their own lightsaber provided they can meet the requirements to do so.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yes, the rule of text>table wins here; and intentionally so, like said above, the table entry is just a reminder; the actual rule is in the sidebar on p40, where it clearly states you need seven heroic levels, not jedi levels.

Also, make sure you check out Jedi Academy Sourcebook for a wealth of extra options regards lightsaber self-construction.
    "Hex grids are the way forward! And slighty to the side..." - Studoku

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Woot Spitum View Post
    I'm playing a Scoundrel 4/Jedi 3 in a Saga Edition game with the intention of eventually taking levels in the Jedi Knight prestige class.
    Are you Kyle Katarn? If not, why not?