New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Scottish claymore stats...?

I did a search that turned up nothing closely related, and did a quick skim of the Real World Weapon Questions thread to no avail.

I'm at a juncture in my campaign where we've arrived in a big city and I need to take advantage of the opportunity to get caught up in terms of weapons and equipment. The idea of a Scottish claymore came to mind, but I couldn't think of a specific example that would parallel its stats. The closest I could come to was a Greatsword, but...

Claymores can be one-handed or two-handed.
    - The one-handed version weighs about 2 or 3 pounds
    - The two-handed version weighs about 5 to 5.5 pounds

If my DM approved this as a weapon choice, what would be some likely stats for it based on its size/weight? D8's, D10's or D12's?) Crit range, martial or exotic, etc?

Thanks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Scottish claymore stats...?

Bastard sword
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

When you say one-handed claymore, do you mean the basket-hilted backswords?
    -\==/-
    I always ask a big question on the League thread right before bedtime so I have something to read while trying to wake up.
    Responses of any sort are wonderful.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like coming up with concepts for characters, and will do so often. But writing up crunch, especially for anything that isn't level 1, takes me a while, and after wasting lots of time writing unused characters on Mythweavers, I generally don't make a sheet unless a DM really likes the concept. Sorry.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maeglin_Dubh View Post
    When you say one-handed claymore, do you mean the basket-hilted backswords?
    Well it's really a shorter, lighter claymore, but then again I'm using Wikpedia as my only source so far.

EDIT: @Gallagher - Well I considered a Bastard sword previously, but the reason I didn't think it was a good match for the claymore was that it's a "hand-and-a-half" sword; not big enough to warrant two-handed use, but not small enough to be one-handed either. The claymore I have in mind is either one or the other stats-wise, not a weird middleground like the bastard sword.
    Last edited by Zieu; 2010-07-08 at 01:22 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Zieu View Post
    The claymore I have in mind is either one or the other stats-wise, not a weird middleground like the bastard sword.
    Longsword or Greatsword, then.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Well it's really a shorter, lighter claymore, but then again I'm using Wikpedia as my only source so far.

EDIT: @Gallagher - Well I considered a Bastard sword previously, but the reason I didn't think it was a good match for the claymore was that it's a "hand-and-a-half" sword; not big enough to warrant two-handed use, but not small enough to be one-handed either. The claymore I have in mind is either one or the other stats-wise, not a weird middleground like the bastard sword.
    have it without the feat, and it is two handed. THF is better than sword and board anyway.

though if you want to take EWP for a sword, you might as well spring for a jovar. its a better greatsword
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    have it without the feat, and it is two handed. THF is better than sword and board anyway.

though if you want to take EWP for a sword, you might as well spring for a jovar. its a better greatsword
    I can't find it in the PHB -- what makes the jovar better?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

A Scottish claymore is a greatsword. If you want a lighter weapon, everything from bastard sword to longsword to shortsword to rapier to falchion is available to you. There have been a great many weapons throughout history in widely disparate cultures that are similar in appearance and identical in usage and function, and for your convenience D&D has simplified it into a few archetypes, to which you can assign your own names. A bastard sword is also a katana; a short sword is simultaneously a very long knife, a gladius, and whatever else you want; a greatclub is both the stereotypical caveman weapon and that tree the ogre ripped up and hit you with. It really doesn't matter if you want to call your rapier an épée, or your javelin a jarid, or your hand axe a tomahawk, and in some cases you should rename your weapon (a falchion is a relatively light, one handed weapon).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
    Longsword or Greatsword, then.
    This. Why the need of specific stats?
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Indeed. A claymore is a greatsword in the same manner that a katana is a bastard sword. There is no reason to come up with new unique stats for it.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

As others have Said, Greatsword for a big two hander, bastard for the middle range and longsword for the one hander

Apply what ever name is appropriate to what your looking for and roll onwards.

I like to re-flavor the Great club (and its mental image of a large lump of wood) into the much more refined War Staff - a evolution of the humble quarter staff.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Like everyone's said: Highland claymore = great sword; basket-hilted claymore = long sword. Though if I were going with the basket-hilted version, I'd say it had a built-in buckler to represent the basket-hilt.

The only real-life weapons that really would need something other than reflavoring are really funky ones like the macahuitl. Even khopeshes can be scimitars and chakrams darts.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

13. - Top - End - #13

I can't find it in the PHB -- what makes the jovar better?
    Jovar: Named for the layer of Celestia on which the city
    of Yetsira sits, the exotic weapon known as a jovar is the
    preferred weapon of the Heavenly City’s archon guards.

Planar Hanbook (pg. 68)

An exotic 2hander.

Just like a greatsword, but with a 18-20/x2 crit range.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

You realise that the word "claymore" literally means "greatsword", right?
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-07-08 at 04:37 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Agreed with prior posters. Also, if you're worried about weight... the weights for all of the swords in the PHB are too heavy, so I either wouldn't worry about it, or fluff it as including the weight of a big fancy scabbard, a belt or harnass to hold the blade and scabbard, oil, whetstone etc.
    Last edited by paddyfool; 2010-07-08 at 04:46 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post
    Agreed with prior posters. Also, if you're worried about weight... the weights for all of the swords in the PHB are too heavy, so I either wouldn't worry about it, or fluff it as including the weight of a big fancy scabbard, a belt or harnass to hold the blade and scabbard, oil, whetstone etc.
    And a mule to carry this stuff, and still perform Leap attack.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
    A Scottish claymore is a greatsword. If you want a lighter weapon, everything from bastard sword to longsword to shortsword to rapier to falchion is available to you. There have been a great many weapons throughout history in widely disparate cultures that are similar in appearance and identical in usage and function, and for your convenience D&D has simplified it into a few archetypes, to which you can assign your own names. A bastard sword is also a katana; a short sword is simultaneously a very long knife, a gladius, and whatever else you want; a greatclub is both the stereotypical caveman weapon and that tree the ogre ripped up and hit you with. It really doesn't matter if you want to call your rapier an épée, or your javelin a jarid, or your hand axe a tomahawk, and in some cases you should rename your weapon (a falchion is a relatively light, one handed weapon).
    There's something that always bugged me. The D&D3,5 short sword is a piercing, gladius-like weapon. Why isn't there a slashing, wakizashi or cutlass-like equivalent ?

18. - Top - End - #18

The Arms and Equipment guide as a list of D&D weapons and the real world equilavents. The Scottish claymore is a Greatsword. P 12 and 13 is where you can find the conversions for the weapons.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

"or fluff it as including the weight of a big fancy scabbard, a belt or harnass to hold the blade and scabbard, oil, whetstone etc."

...And about a dozen bricks, in the case of the greatsword.

"Why isn't there a slashing, wakizashi or cutlass-like equivalent ?"

There's the cutlass; it's just not in the DMG.

I once wanted a character to use a pair long stilettos for character reasons (1d4 18-20/x3), but the GM was resistant to me essentially using kukri which did pierce instead of slash because it 'wasn't in the rules'. After some head scratching, I got him to agree instead to halfling-sized rapiers with bigger handles. Go figure.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

Its quite common for weapons to be basically similar to other weapons, but doing a different damage type. The Planar Handbook has a martial weapon that's identical to the short sword in nearly every way- except it does slashing damage instead of piercing damage.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyx View Post
    "or fluff it as including the weight of a big fancy scabbard, a belt or harnass to hold the blade and scabbard, oil, whetstone etc."

...And about a dozen bricks, in the case of the greatsword.
    A 3lb discrepancy isn't all that bad - big swords need big scabbards, after all. And the carrying limits are sufficiently forgiving for high Str characters that it makes no real game difference anyway, even if you do keep a careful track of this.

22. - Top - End - #22

In the 2nd ed Arms and Equipment Guide, the claymore fell somewhere between the bastard sword and the greatsword in capabilities.

Did Scottish warriors ever wield the claymore of the large kind, in conjunction with a shield, or was it just a little too big to be wielded like that by anyone?

If too big- it should be a greatsword.
    If a sufficiently skilled character could wield it in one hand- it should maybe be a bastard sword.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Murdim View Post
    There's something that always bugged me. The D&D3,5 short sword is a piercing, gladius-like weapon. Why isn't there a slashing, wakizashi or cutlass-like equivalent ?
    Would those fall under the scimitar?

24. - Top - End - #24

Planar Handbook had the straightblade- a martial slashing shortsword.

The cutlass used to be both piercing and slashing (in FRCS and Dragon 318) but became slashing only, in Stormwrack.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The cutlass used to be both piercing and slashing (in FRCS and Dragon 318) but became slashing only, in Stormwrack.
    I happy they nerfed it. Too overpowered, the FRCS version.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I did a search that turned up nothing closely related, and did a quick skim of the Real World Weapon Questions thread to no avail.

I'm at a juncture in my campaign where we've arrived in a big city and I need to take advantage of the opportunity to get caught up in terms of weapons and equipment. The idea of a Scottish claymore came to mind, but I couldn't think of a specific example that would parallel its stats. The closest I could come to was a Greatsword, but...

Claymores can be one-handed or two-handed.
    - The one-handed version weighs about 2 or 3 pounds
    - The two-handed version weighs about 5 to 5.5 pounds

If my DM approved this as a weapon choice, what would be some likely stats for it based on its size/weight? D8's, D10's or D12's?) Crit range, martial or exotic, etc?
    D20/3e has at least two levels of abstraction with regards to weapons. In the default rules, a great sword covers all two-handed straight bladed swords, and the long sword and short sword cover smaller sorts. The bastard sword is more demonstration of a game mechanism than it is representation of any specific sort of weapon. However, just as in AD&D, as the supplements continue to appear you see more and more specific weapon types with their own characteristics, which gives the false impression of equivalent levels of abstraction dealing with identifiable weapon types, which is potentially quite fun. Unfortunately, the low granularity means that there are only so many iterations on the theme.

The best question to ask is, perhaps, what do you think the difference is between a claymore and a D&D great sword? Once you have a clear idea of that you may be able to abstractly represent it. If it is going to be "better" than a great sword you probably need to look at how it can interact with specially designed claymore feats.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdim View Post
    There's something that always bugged me. The D&D3,5 short sword is a piercing, gladius-like weapon. Why isn't there a slashing, wakizashi or cutlass-like equivalent?
    In first edition AD&D (where just about all the weapon classifications come from) a short sword was more accurately described as any cut and thrust sword of 15-24" in blade length. Basically the designers of D20/3e never seem to have really gotten past that generalisation, even after turning it into the "piercing only" gladius of the popular imagination.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

"Would those fall under the scimitar?"

That's a medium length weapon. Shortswords are...shorter.

"Did Scottish warriors ever wield the claymore of the large kind, in conjunction with a shield"

No; it's a two handed weapon. A relatively small two handed sword, but still definitely two handed.

Smaller Scottish swords were normally used with a small shield and dagger off-hand. Very few one-handed swords (including rapiers) were ever intended to be used without a shield of some sort.

28. - Top - End - #28

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Greatsword" bulls--- that's going on in the d20 system right now...

*smack*

Sorry, had to.

To repeat, yeah, why isn't the claymore just a greatsword? That's literally what it means.

Or were you considering hitting your opponent with one of these?

Spoiler
    Show
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by balistafreak View Post
    Or were you considering hitting your opponent with one of these?

Spoiler
    Show
    If you are, be sure to be wearing your Fire Resist 10 jacket, your DR 10/- vest, and your sunglasses.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

^

Pfft...no: EVASION!