New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Typical Dwarf treasure

My party has (almost) liberated a dwarven city.
    This city houses 18 clans. Each of those clans will give a token of appreciation.
    What i have so far:

1. A chest filled with gold
    2. A Dwarven War Axe decorated with gold and gems
    3. A collection of gems
    4. Ruby of Power (1st) (Functions as Memento Magicka)
    5. +1 Weapon of choice
    6. +1 Armor of choice
    7. Diamond Dust
    8. Wand of CLW
    9. Small collection of scrolls
    10. Elemental Gem (Earth, light brown)
    11. Bear Helm
    12. Offer to make a statue of a fallen comrade in the last battle
    13. Organises a festivity in their honor

So i am missing 5 items, preferably something dwarfy....price range 500gp-3000 gp.

Any ideas?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Typical Dwarf treasure

Rocks

Beer

Rocks IN beer

Beer IN rocks (like, the rock is hollow and you crack it open and hey there's beer in here!)

A beautiful, carefully made fresco made of gems and valuable metals, depicting rocks and beer.

Ale

Flamethrower
    "We speak for the dead. We are all they have when the wicked steal their voice. But we do not owe them our lives."

Roy Montgomery, NYPD Sgt., Castle

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

A set of Masterwork digging equipment. If it doesn't push into too-expensive territory, maybe something like a mithril pickaxe - light enough to carry around, tough enough to dig with!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Goblins slaves.

Because at least one of those clans won't be Good and slavery isn't necessarily Evil -- it depends on how the slaves are treated.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Decanter of endless beer.
    Beard trimming kit made of adamantine, inlaid with pictures of beards being trimmed. Wait, may have gone dwarf fortress there.

I think you got most of what is typically dwarfish already. Maybe a promise of a favor or similar.

Wait a thought: didn't a belt of con used to be called a belt of dwarven fortitude?
    Also I have always though of horns with dwarves, for some reason. The only one in the price range is a horn of fog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

6. - Top - End - #6

DruidGuy

I see a distinct lack of hammers and complicated armor in your list.

More seriously, have on clan give the PCs a book. Dwarves are very past-focused and durable sources of preserved knowledge are almost sacred to them.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Give them a monolith of rock with the entire history of the world engraved on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    I see a distinct lack of hammers and complicated armor in your list.
    The +1 weapon should be a hammer or axe of some kind, really. The armour should be made of metal and may not be light armour.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Whatever you add, it had better menace with spikes.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

A finely crafted stone throne.

How are they going to carry it? They'll probably try to sell it in the market place. This will be a mark of deepest disrespect to the house that gave it to them, and there you go, a new adventure hook!
    My games:
    Have you ever wondered How to Succeed in Evil?

Thanks licoot for the awesome Pip avatar!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    Give them a monolith of rock with the entire history of the world engraved on it.
    it should have 73 pictures of itself

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

A big barrel of enhanched Stout, and i mean magical one, with effective strenght about equal to 200 percent of alcohol.
    Who'd show as magical with detect magic, burn madly if put on fire, and probably give most PC's a nasty hangover if drunken.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

A month's supply of the city's best Rat, plus all the ketchup you need! Yummy!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Golden beerpint with menacing silver spikes?

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Tankadin View Post
    Whatever you add, it had better menace with spikes.
    It should also depict a dwarf falling before an elephant. The elephant is laughing.

Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "Sunder the wall?! WT**** kind of tactics are these!?"
    Me: The kind that armies have been using for millennia.
    DM: They didn't do it with swords!
    Me: Which makes us so much cooler.

Player: Where are the babau in relation to everyone else?
    Me: They're right behind you. Vesil is covered in Loki's blood. That is their location in relation to you.
    Player: I was just wondering about a fireball.

My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trailmachines the Fellowship of Right

This is a Adamantine plate mail. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.
    On the item is an image of Landslantern the fire imp and Kib Clinchworks the dwarf in Adamantine. Kib Clinchworks is striking down Landslantern. The artwork relates to the killing of the fire imp Landslantern by the dwarf Kib Clinchworks in Headshoots in the early autumn of 107.
    On the item is an image of a dwarf in Adamantine.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

I don't think dwarves would give out things like powerful weapons and adamantine armor, these things are best kept and used by dwarves. If I were a dwarf from some city a bunch of non-dwarves (or mostly non-dwarves) saved, I wouldn't give them anything that actually makes the city weaker (like a lack of kick-ass armor and weapons).

Anyways...

#14: The resident elf. "Yer all leavin', right?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jergmo View Post
    It should also depict a dwarf falling before an elephant. The elephant is laughing.
    Or dwarves talking to dwarves. The dwarves are on fire. The dwarves are in the fetal position.The !!clown!! is laughing.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2010-07-09 at 04:16 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Aforementioned Mug of Infinite Ale for all party members.

Perhaps fancy things from Races of Stone?
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Gold Gold Gold Gold (with beer)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Adamantine Miner’s Pick (Since this would come in over your expense limit for an item, make it a tool rather than a weapon. It could count as an improvised weapon if they were desperate, but even discounting that these things are wonderful for getting through the hardness other things like that pesky dungeon wall that’s in your way.)

Goggles of Minute Seeing (for all the intricate embellishments on their dwarven crafts, also throws something out there for the party’s rogue in a lot of what is most likely to be a lot of fighter gear.)

X gp worth of divine potions (their choice, but must be craftable by a priest of Moradin, so no protection from law or anything like that)

A bundle of 15-20 crossbow bolts that are each bane against a traditional dwarven enemy (maybe a mix of things like giants, goblinoids, orcs, elves, aberrations etc.)

I couldn't find one that seemed right, but perhaps a well trained mount or war animal or even a very minor construct.

I second the votes for “a favor” and “a history book” since both of these can be great fodder for future adventures. The history book could have a plot point or hints at a possible side quest. The favor could be something to help get the PCs out of a troublesome place when they get In over their heads.
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2010-07-09 at 05:40 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Elixir of Fire Breath? They could say that its really good mead.

A recommendation to the Drunken Master Guild?

Knighthood?

An oil that is rubbed on the chin to grow a big Dwarven beard.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Helm of comprhend bad Scottish accents and read without moving lips.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

maybe a magical drinking horn that suplies endless amounts of mead or maybe a greataxe that does +2 to orcs and goblinoids
    Last edited by crazywolf; 2010-07-10 at 10:25 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M-Bark View Post
    Goblins slaves.

Because at least one of those clans won't be Good and slavery isn't necessarily Evil -- it depends on how the slaves are treated.
    Slavery is the very defiinition of evil. You should be ashamed to think otherwise.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Adamantine, cold iron and/or alchemical silver weapons. Adamantine and/or mithral armor. Just some adamantine and/or mithral, even, if you can work out their value as trade goods.

(Huh. Thanks to how the Craft skill works, the raw materials needed to make (normally) heavy armor out of mithral cost about 9 times as much as the raw materials needed to make (normally) light armor out of mithral, but the the raw materials needed to make heavy armor out of adamantine only cost about 3 times as much as the raw materials needed to make light armor out of adamantine. Which is funny, 'cuz I'd have thought that the cost would come mostly from the special metal being used, and that the amount needed would be proportionate to the amount of metal in the armor for each type of special metal. But the different price ratios mean that that can't be right... )

Quote Originally Posted by Gnaritas View Post
    A Dwarven War Axe decorated with gold and gems
    That sounds like a magic axe if the mineral wealth is there to bind an enchantment to it, and more for show than for practical use if the bling is just there to look pretty (and thus not so much a war axe, really). Granted, it could still be a perfectly functional masterwork dwarven waraxe as well, but only if this too added to its economic value. E.g. if there are aristocrats or adventurers or someone rich who want their actual combat weapons to be gem-encrusted. Because they're crazy. No, wait, sorry, I'm talking about people with money. Eccentric.

Quote Originally Posted by IonDragon View Post
    They'll probably try to sell it in the market place. This will be a mark of deepest disrespect to the house that gave it to them, and there you go, a new adventure hook!
    Ah, I love the idea that a "gift" is something that one is obligated to deal with (or not deal with) in some particular fashion, rather than something with which to do as one pleases. And by "love", I of course mean "hate". (Not that this is an unreasonable scenario; I just think that some of the dwarves in it are being jerks.)

Quote Originally Posted by Harperfan7 View Post
    I don't think dwarves would give out things like powerful weapons and adamantine armor, these things are best kept and used by dwarves. If I were a dwarf from some city a bunch of non-dwarves (or mostly non-dwarves) saved, I wouldn't give them anything that actually makes the city weaker (like a lack of kick-ass armor and weapons).
    I think the idea is that they have a surplus. Which isn't to say that every dwarf already has better gear. It's just that decking out a first-level warrior with copious magical bling isn't necessarily such a hot idea. If your dudes drop uber lewtz, that turns your group into a good target for an attack. And if another team kills your dudes and takes their lewts, then you won't have (either of) them anymore! (Plus your enemies become better equipped.) Thus, through no mechanism but monsters making their choices of who to kill and pillage in their own best interest, the Invisible Hand of free market murdernomics drives down above-average treasure/encounter difficulty ratios.

Um, anyway. Likely these dwarves produce plenty of quality weapons and armor and see the mutual benefits of trading (or rewarding) them to their allies, rather than just stockpiling them. Were they so paranoid as to be leery of spreading some of their battle gear to the party that just liberated their city, then obviously they wouldn't do that. But I don't see a good reason for them to be that paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Slavery is the very defiinition of evil.
    Is it necessarily any more so than killing and imprisonment? Specifically, if someone would rather be enslaved than killed or imprisoned, is it still more evil to enslave her than to kill or to imprison her, in that case?

I am of the opinion that there is room for labor as a punishment in a Lawful Good justice system. Indeed, forcing the criminal to make restitution to the victim, where possible, should be a priority.
    Last edited by Devils_Advocate; 2010-07-10 at 08:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Everfull Mugs from the MIC. They should be decorated with images of three triangles in cat leather, and they should menace with spikes of shale.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

^: Thunt's Anymug? Any nonmagical, non-corrosive, possibly non-alchemical liquid. So anything from highly flammable alcohol to ogre piss.

magical totem/staff/rod made out of rotting kitten leather, kitten bones, and a goblin skull. Menaces with spikes of kitten leather and shale. Not sure what powers it should have though.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-07-10 at 10:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

29. - Top - End - #29

DruidGirl

To borrow an idea from WoW: Their choice of the finest dwarven mounts (assuming they hit exalted faction rep, of course ).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Gold beer-stein.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.