New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default How to get at-will Message [3.5]

I'm wondering how I might be able to get the spell Message as an at-will effect, or some fairly large amount per day/encounter. I see the spell as a very minor, situational use spell if you can cast it 2-4 times a day, but a very useful and (to me) compelling tool if it can be used many times.

So, how might I do this? A wand could work, but are there any magic items or obscure classes that give this ability?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: How to get at-will Message [3.5]

Play Pathfinder.

If you had permanent telepathy, you could relay messages between people, which is almost as good. Also, I think Rary's telepathic bond can be permanencied, though it's a bit expensive and has to be done one link at a time.

Spoiler
    Show

<Flickerdart> So theoretically the master vampire can control three bonused dire weasels, who in turn each control five sub-weasels
    <Flickerdart> The sub-weasels can each control two other sub-weasels
    <Flickerdart> It's like a pyramid scheme, except the payoff is bleeding to death!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Homemade items based on the item creation guidelines.

Also, I believe if you're willing to permenantly give up an 8th level spell slot, there's a metamagic. I think it's generally frowned upon, though. It's not generally worth it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

One of the 8th level vestiges (ToM) gives you what you want. You might think 15th level binder (with improved binding) is too high of a level, but you get a cantrip at-will. That has to be worth it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Spell level (0=.5) x Caster level (1) x 2000gp x 1.5 (10 minutes/day) = 1500gp.

You know, I never really considered how awesome it would be to use this to mess with somebody. Cast invisibility, then Message.
    "If you build it, they will come!"

EDIT: I don't have Complete Mage on me, but there might be a Reserve Feat there that lets you cast Message.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2010-07-21 at 02:05 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Caphi: That is what gave me the idea. Unfortunately my local group isn't playing it currently. Maybe I start spreading the idea though...

drengnikrafe: I had not really looked at that part of the DM's guide before...very interesting. So, if I made it as a use-activated wondrous item, it would cost 1000 GP/caster level, which only affects its range, so a 1000 GP item that would allow message cast to 100ft unlimited times per day. Not very familiar with magic item making, does 1000GP seem a reasonable cost?

Edit: Ninja'd by Telonius, who makes me realize spell is 10 minutes/level and not instant, I thought it was like sending and just let you send a single message. However, DM guide does state that 0-level spells should use 1/2 in formulas for cost. New cost would be:

Spell level (0 = 1/2) * Caster Level (1) * 2000 * 1.5 (10min/level) = 1500GP

That seem correct/fair?

Edit 2: No reserve feat for it, though I think its something that would make sense as a feat too. And my reason for wanting it is inter-party communication on scouting forays, coordinating attacks, various sneaky-type things.
    Last edited by blackmage; 2010-07-21 at 02:15 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quirp View Post
    One of the 8th level vestiges (ToM) gives you what you want. You might think 15th level binder (with improved binding) is too high of a level, but you get a cantrip at-will. That has to be worth it.
    Well, you also get one of the most powerful PC-available breath weapons in the game, undispellable, continuous displacement as well as blindsight, the blindsense's big brother.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

A Feather Token is 300gp, and that's a single-use version of a slightly more powerful spell (animal messenger). I'd say 1500 gp would be a fair price.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Use Lesser Planar Binding to enslave a hound archon. They get message as an at-will ability. Of course then there are the ethical problems and safety issues with holding an outsider captive.