New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Devils, Genisis,and Origin of Species

Using the Forgotten Realms, the devils of Baator are all about getting souls of the Lawful Evil, and corrupting mortals into becoming LE so they can be claimed. Now, using the FC2, it says that the devil who is to cause for the mortal becoming LE gets the soul when it dies, so what would be to stop a devil from creating a demi-plane and filling it with a new, short-lived species of either free-willed beings and creating a LE society for them, or even just making the race LE? Wouldn't that devil basically have just created a soul factory? Or is there some flaw with this that I'm unaware of?
    Last edited by Desril; 2010-07-26 at 08:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Devils, Genisis,and Origin of Species

When you can cast origin of the species, you really don't need to bother with any of that nonsense anymore. At that point, finding new and abusive mitigating factors for your spells is more important.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

At that powerful, he starts competing with Asmedeous (however you spell his name) for rulership
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post

DM says: WHY!? WHY!? WHY?!
    DM means: NO! NO! NO!!!
    Player hears: GOOD JOB PLAYER! DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

When using more...appropriate...levels for the Lords of Hell, reaching 9th level spells isn't that impressive.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Origin of the species isn't level 9.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Hm, my mistake, I was going based on memory. Still, a dc 40 check isn't that hard to reach, and it doesn't put a player anywhere near a CR 80 or so of Asmodeus.
    Last edited by Desril; 2010-07-26 at 09:19 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would presume there is something about that in the pact primordial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelonius View Post
    Well, strangely enough a faction with Reputation 0 and history of past betrayals proved itself to be rather untrustworthy. My hat is off for the Mothriders.

Damn, about 29 stats in one swipe. Since I'm clearly the next I'm booby-trapping every inch of the Maze.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Honestly, by the time you can cast that spell, you might as well just create a new species of epic warrior-devils and throw them in the blood war instead. Same result, more cost-effective.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Not to mention that you have a superior looking over your shoulder skimming some extra off the top, and obliterating you if you won't let him. This is to say nothing of the horde of inferior devils even now conspiring against you, possibly with aforementioned superior.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Desril View Post
    Using the Forgotten Realms, the devils of Baator are all about getting souls of the Lawful Evil, and corrupting mortals into becoming LE so they can be claimed. Now, using the FC2, it says that the devil who is to cause for the mortal becoming LE gets the soul when it dies, so what would be to stop a devil from creating a demi-plane and filling it with a new, short-lived species of either free-willed beings and creating a LE society for them, or even just making the race LE? Wouldn't that devil basically have just created a soul factory? Or is there some flaw with this that I'm unaware of?
    ...And that's the story of how the Material Plane was created!
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would argue that half of what you're talking about (creating an inherently lawful evil race) is not really corrupting anyone, per se. Similarly, if the society is the mechanism by which they are introduced to evil, I'm not wholly convinced I can give the devil credit either.

The definition of corruption I can find on the web that most fits what I imagine the devil should be doing is: "moral perversion; impairment of virtue and moral principles." This means there has to be a moral base for the target to fall from -- just because the apple is on the ground doesn't mean I made it fall from the tree.

That's how I see it at any rate.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Devil's can't cast epic spells, as that would require the feat (Epic Spellcasting) which in turn requires the ability to cast 9th level spells. Since Baatezu advance by HD and not class levels, and since spell-like abilities don't count as "cast spells" by RAW, I see no means by which a devil could cast Origin of Species.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats...icSpellcasting
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spell...sAchaierai.htm
    Last edited by SocratesOnFire; 2010-07-27 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Unintentionally rude

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Non-associated class levels are a viable option. You do not have to advance a monster by its hit dice.