New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

biggrin Cat-o-mancer PEACH

So my friends and I have decided to make a game of DDnD or "Dysfunctional Dungeons and Dragons". The idea here is that we are a band of extremely unlikely characters (i.e. Halfling Barbarians, Orc Ninjas etc etc.) who attempt to survive with what little we have to work with.

One of our players wanted to have a caster type class who's main feature is to summon undead cats. A Cat-o-mancer, if you will.

Given that this class is incredibly silly, I figured someone out there would be generous enough to offer their aid. Remember, you don't have to make it powerful, it's alright to have a class that is slightly underpowered, rather than a class that is terribly overpowered.

So, any suggestions/ideas/comments?

Cat-O-Mancer
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Rebuke Undead, Lesser Cat Summoning I

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Detect Magic

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Damage Reduction 1/Cold Iron, Lesser Cat Summoning II

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Toughness, Cat-like Reflexes

5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Lesser Cat Summoning III, Animate Cats, Extended Cats I

6th|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Scaredy Cats

7th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Damage Reduction 2/Cold Iron, Cat Summoning I

8th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Endurance

9th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    | Cat Summoning II

10th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Augment Summoning I

11th|
    +8/+3
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Damage Reduction 3/Cold Iron, Cat Summoning III, Extended Cats II

12th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |Ghast Cats

13th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |Diehard

14th|
    +10/+5
    |
    +9
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    |Dire Cat Summoning I

15th|
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |
    +9
    |Damage Reduction 4/Cold Iron

16th|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |Noxious Cats

17th|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |Dire Cat Summoning II

18th|
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |Augment Summoning II

19th|
    +14/+9/+4
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron

20th|
    +15/+10/+5
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    |
    +12
    |Dire Cat Summoning III, Extended Cats III[/table]

GAME RULE INFORMATION

Hit Die: d6

Class Skills: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Tumble (Dex)

Skills at first level: (2+Intelligence Modifier) X 4

Skills at each additional level: 2+ Intelligence Modifier

Armor/Weapon Proficiencies: A Cat-O-Mancer is proficient with simple and martial weapons, and may only wear up to light armor. They are also proficient with shields (except Tower Shields).

Summon Lesser Cats
    -
    Spoiler
    Show
    This Spell-like Ability allows the caster to summon 1d6 zombie or skeletal cats, (See Monster Manual I, Zombie Template and Skeletal Template for details on how to make a Skeletal or Zombie Cat) the type of cat (Zombie or Skeletal) is chosen by the caster but only one type may be chosen in any given casting, the cats stay summoned until the caster breaks his concentration or all the cats are destroyed, at which time, the cats are hurled into oblivion, their bodies vanishing from the material plane.

The caster can at any time break his concentration on the spell, however, in doing so, all cats summoned in this manner are sent back into oblivion after 1+1/2 the Cat-O-Mancer's level rounds.

Upon reaching 3rd Level, the Cat-O-Mancer is able to summon an additional 1d6 cats, this ability applies to each of his Cat Summoning Spell-Like Abilities, to a maximum of 3d6 cats summoned at level 5.

Upon reaching 7th Level, the Cat-O-Mancer is able to entice Leopards, or Cheetahs (See Monster Manual I) to come to his aid, while still retaining the ability to summon lesser Cats (Maximum of 3d6). However, at 7th Level, the Cat-O-Mancer's maximum number of larger cats is set back to 1d6.

Once a Cat-O-Mancer reaches 14th Level, he is able to summon Dire Lions, Leopards, or Cheetahs. (See Monster Manual I Adding a Template for more details) However, the maximum number of Giant Cats he can summon is lowered to 1d3 + Charisma Modifier. This increases to 2d3+ Charisma Modifier and 3d3+ Charisma Modifier at 17th and 20th level respectively.

Detect Magic- T
    Spoiler
    Show
    he Cat-O-Mancer becomes intimately familiar with magical auras and abilities through his practice in summoning felines. As a result, at 2nd level, the Cat-O-Mancer is able to cast Detect Magic at will, and it functions as the spell (See Player's Handbook, Spell Descriptions)

Feline Traits-
    Spoiler
    Show
    At Second level, the Cat-O-Mancer begins to physically change as his knowledge and connection to felines grow. This change causes the Cat-O-Mancer's fingers to end in long claws, these claws count as Natural Weapons and deal 1d6 damage. If the Cat-O-Mancer's race already has claws, the damage die increases by one magnitude (ex: 1d6 becomes 1d8).

Additionally, the Cat-O-Mancer's hearing and sight improve, granting a +4 bonus in both Listen and Spot Checks and Low Light Vision.

Toughness- As Toughness feat (See Player's Handbook, Feat Descriptions)

Cat-like Reflexes-
    Spoiler
    Show
    At 4th Level, the Cat-O-Mancer becomes more attuned to his feline minions, and is thus able to move faster and more deftly. This ability has two benefits: First, the Cat-O-Mancer gains a Deflection Bonus to his Armor Class equal to his Dexterity Bonus. Secondly, the Cat-O-Mancer receives a bonus +2 towards Tumble Checks to avoid Attacks of Opportunity.

Scaredy Cats-
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Cat-O-Mancer's understanding of fear serves him well. At 6th level, when casting a Cat Summoning Spell, all bystanders within 10 feet of each cat briefly see their greatest fear (Illusion), and therefore must make a Will Save to disbelieve the illusion (DC 15 + Wisdom Modifier) or be stricken with fear, taking away any dexterity bonuses they may gain, and dazing them for one round. This is a Mind Affecting Spell-Like Ability, it has the Fear Descriptor.

Endurance- As Endurance feat (See Player's Handbook, Feat Descriptions)

Animate Cats-
    Spoiler
    Show
    This spell functions as the Animate Dead Spell (See Player's Handbook, Spell Descriptions) with one key difference: Only Feline corpses may be reanimated.

Augment Summoning-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Once 10th level, the Cat-O-Mancer's call across the planes is strong enough to bring forth more powerful cats. This ability functions as the Augment Summoning (See Player's Handbook Feat Descriptions), this bonus doubles at 18th level.

Ghast Cats-
    Spoiler
    Show
    At 12th Level, the Cat-O-Mancer's minions become attuned to his negative energy, allowing them to bestow 1 Negative Level on a successful hit to an opponent who fails a Fortitude Save (DC 18+ Wisdom Modifier)

Diehard As the Diehard feat (See Player's Handbook, Feat Descriptions)

Noxious Cats-
    Spoiler
    Show
    At 16th level, the Cat-O-Mancer's summoned minions are capable of carrying a special disease. Upon a successful hit, and a failed Fortitude Save (DC 18+ Wisdom Modifier), the target becomes subject to Warp Touch (See The Book of Vile Darkness, Page 31 Table 2-5 for effects). Provided all conditions are met, the target subjected to the disease is affected by one of the listed Side-Effects (Determined by a d100 roll).
    This effect is immediate, and lasts up to 1d3 days + The Cat-O-Mancer's Charisma Modifier. However, spells such as Remove Curse, Limited Wish, and Wish are able to cure the effects permanently.

Extended Cats-
    Spoiler
    Show
    At this point, the Cat-O-Mancer has attained enough knowledge of dead felines to control them with hardly a thought. The duration time of all Cat Summoning Spells is changed from "Concentration" to "24 Hours". The Cat-O-Mancer can still only control one group of cats at any given time, however, the caster is now allowed to move freely about, while still controlling his feline minions.

At Level 5, the Cat-O-Mancer no longer needs to concentrate on up to Lesser Cat Summoning III. At Level 11, the Cat-O-Mancer no longer needs to concentrate on up to Cat Summoning III. Finally, at level 20, the Cat-O-Mancer no longer needs to concentrate whatsoever to maintain his minions.

Last edited by TelemontTanthul; 2010-08-02 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Finished?
    Just by viewing these eggs, you are helping to hatch them!

I literally have no idea what kind of dragon will hatch.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cat-o-mancer Help

Sounds like Bhu is your man... there MIGHT even be something serviceable already in his "Cat Fans Unite and PEACH!" thread... and yes, I know it is a very long thread.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

biggrin Re: Cat-o-mancer Help

I took a few moments to look through the thread. It has interesting ideas, sure, but most of them involve physically being a cat. My friend is looking for a class that involves summoning cats in hordes to use as cannon fodder against his enemies.

He isn't quite the "Cat Fan".

You seem to have a lot of experience in creating homebrew (I noted that more than a few posts were made on that thread by you).

Don't suppose you would be willing to lend your experience and wisdom?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I realize that at least 98% of that thread is going to be totally useless... my only question was if there was an ~2% that wasn't or if it was 0%. Don't know how good Bhu is about keeping his indexes up to date. You could always just PM him and ask for a pointer or make a specific request to him for homebrew.

The simplest solution would be to simply redo the Summon Monster line... perhaps a skeletal cat or 1d3 skeletal cats for the first level spell option, and then scaling from their (lions, tigers, dire tigers)... 9th level might be a Hellcat Mummy or something like that. Yes, I know Outsiders usually can't be undead, but you can ignore that in this case...

Do you have access to the Warlock class? I don't, but if you do, you could always try replacing the eldritch blast with cat summoning, and making the number of skeletal cats you can have summoned at any one time equal to the EB dice... probably more at higher levels with a Swarm option available to replace a certain number of individual cats. Full round action to summon more cats, probably a move action to command them. Make the flight spell a giant angelic/demonic intangible/untouchable cat picking the summoner up by his collar like a kitten and flying around with him?

I don't really do much base class making. The only one I ever did was meant for NPCs and thus the only balance limitation was "less powerful than a PC class" which is a very wide target to hit. You might try the compendium (link in the sticky post by Roland St Jude at the top of the Homebrew forum)... look at the base-class section, and see who makes lots of base classes.

Also, if there isn't a pre-existing "swarm-ify" template, I recommend the mob template in the links at the very end of my extended signature.

EDIT: You will probably want to read THIS for what it is worth.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2010-07-27 at 12:05 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here is a very quick sketch of a Ca-O-Mancer

Cleric Skills, Hit Die, Saves, and BAB

Summon Swarm:
    At-will ability
    Duration Concentration
    Full Round to Cast
    All Swarm saves are 10+1/2 class Level+CHA
    Damage increased by 1d6 at every odd level
    7th level: Remove No control feature
    15th level: Expand Size to 20ft square

At every even level gain a different cat esque ability
    2: Skeleton Cat Familiar (or Animal Companion)
    4: Cat Like (Low-Light Vision, Scent, Bonus on Hide, Move Silently, Climb, and Jump)
    6: Speed +10ft
    8: Animate Dead (At-Will) (Cats Only)
    10: Summon 5 Skeleton Tigers 1/day (Duration 10 minutes)
    12: Rebuke Undead (As Cleric)(Gain +4 Bonus when used on undead cats)
    14:Create Undead (At-Will)(Cats Only)
    16: Summon 5 Skeleton Dire Tigers 1/day (Duration 10 minutes)
    18:
    20:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

In the Cat Fans Unite thread, I'd suggest looking at the Cat Fu Fighter and the Crazy Cat Lady, both of which have summoning cats as a key feature (though the former likes to use them as weapons while the latter is more magical oriented).

Also, if you want to make your own class, I might suggest looking at the kitsune-tsukai from Japanese folklore for some inspiration on ideas. They were a type of magic user that made use of kuda-gitsune (a type of fox spirit that could be kept in a tube) for familiars and their magic. You could reflavour its abilities to be with cats.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2010-07-27 at 04:12 PM.
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    I don't really do much base class making.
    If I counted correctly, you have a total class pH of just under 5. You titrated your NPC class and then some. Yes, I speak of THOSE.

On the actual topic, I get the feeling that someone was bored here.
    Last edited by BladeofOblivion; 2010-07-27 at 05:35 PM.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

Avatar by Dorian Soth Thormag. Thanks a bunch.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Oooh a new kitteh thread

So you wanna be able to summon undead cats. Are you thinking PrC perhaps, or full blown core class?
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Full blown core class.

I kinda made one, but it is sorely lacking balancing at the moment.

Lv. BAB FORT REF WILL SPECIAL
    1 +0 +2 +0 +2 Rebuke Undead , Cat Summoning 1
    2 +1 +3 +0 +3 Detect Magic
    3 +2 +3 +1 +3 Damage Reduction 1/Cold Iron, Cat Summoning 2
    4 +3 +4 +1 +4 Toughness
    5 +3 +4 +1 +4 Cat Summoning 3, Animate Cats
    6 +4 +5 +2 +5 Scaredy Cats
    7 +5 +5 +2 +5 Damage Reduction 2/Cold Iron, Large Cat Summoning 1
    8 +6/+1 +6 +2 +6 Endurance
    9 +6/+1 +6 +3 +6 Large Cat Summoning 2
    10 +7/+2 +7 +3 +7 Augment Summoning I
    11 +8/+3 +7 +3 +7 Damage Reduction 3/Cold Iron, Large Cat Summoning 3
    12 +9/+4 +8 +4 +8 Noxious Cats
    13 +9/+4 +8 +4 +8 Diehard
    14 +10/+5 +9 +4 +9 Summon Giant Cats 1
    15 +11/+6/+1 +9 +5 +9 Damage Reduction 4/Cold Iron
    16 +12/+7/+2 +10 +5 +10 Ghast Cats
    17 +12/+7/+2 +10 +5 +10 Summon Giant Cats 2
    18 +13/+8/+3 +11 +6 +11 Augment Summoning II
    19 +14/+9/+4 +11 +6 +11 Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron
    20 +15/+10/+ +12 +6 +12 Summon Giant Cats 3, Extended Cats

The Summon Cat's Spell allows the caster to summon 1d6 zombie or skeletal cats (caster's choosing), all of which require the full concentration of the caster to maintain.

The number of cats increase by 1d6 for each version of the spell.

Summon Large Cats allows Leopards to be summoned instead of regular cats.

Summon Giant Cats allows even greater minions, of which I have yet to decide.

Scaredy Cats- When casting a summoning cats spell, all bystanders within 10 feet of the initial position of the summoned cats, must make a Will save (DC to be determined) or become frightened.

Ghast Cats- Allows the caster's cats to deal 1 negative level upon a successful attack, provided a fortitude save is failed (DC to be determined)

That is a ROUGH ROUGH ROUGH outline.

Thoughts?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Go to the sticky post at the very top of the homebrew forum. Look through the linked posts until you find the one with the templates on how to make homebrews. Use the templates to make your table.

That is my suggestion.
    Extended Signature

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

No objections yet, Im waiting till it gets fleshed out a lil more
    Orcs and Goblins

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, at this point, I am looking for suggestions on how to improve upon this, either through editing, adding, etc etc.

Do you guys want me to post up the class again, this time with the nice table?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Most likely you should just edit the older one to have a nice table.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cat-O-Mancer
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Rebuke Undead, Lesser Cat Summoning I

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Detect Magic

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Damage Reduction 1/Cold Iron, Lesser Cat Summoning II

4th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Toughness

5th|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Lesser Cat Summoning III, Animate Cats

6th|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Scaredy Cats

7th|
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Damage Reduction 2/Cold Iron, Cat Summoning I

8th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Endurance

9th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    | Cat Summoning II

10th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Augment Summoning I

11th|
    +8/+3
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Damage Reduction 3/Cold Iron, Cat Summoning III

12th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |Ghast Cats

13th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |Diehard

14th|
    +10/+5
    |
    +9
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    |Dire Cat Summoning I

15th|
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |
    +9
    |Damage Reduction 4/Cold Iron

16th|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |Noxious Cats

17th|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |Dire Cat Summoning II

18th|
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |Augment Summoning II

19th|
    +14/+9/+4
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron

20th|
    +15/+10/+5
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    |
    +12
    |Dire Cat Summoning III, Extended Cats[/table]

GAME RULE INFORMATION

Hit Die: d6

Class Skills: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), and Sense Motive (Wis)

Skills at first level: (2+Intelligence Modifier) X 4

Skills at each additional level: 2+ Intelligence Modifier

Armor/Weapon Proficiencies: A Cat-O-Mancer is proficient with simple and martial weapons, and may only wear up to light armor. They are also proficient with shields (except Tower Shields).

Summon Lesser Cats
    - This Spell-like Ability allows the caster to summon 1d6 zombie or skeletal cats, (See Monster Manual I, Zombie Template and Skeletal Template for details on how to make a Skeletal or Zombie Cat) the type of cat (Zombie or Skeletal) is chosen by the caster but only one type may be chosen in any given casting, the cats stay summoned until the caster breaks his concentration or all the cats are destroyed, at which time, the cats are hurled into oblivion, their bodies vanishing from the material plane.

The caster can at any time break his concentration on the spell, however, in doing so, all cats summoned in this manner are sent back into oblivion after 1+1/2 the Cat-O-Mancer's level rounds.

Upon reaching 3rd Level, the Cat-O-Mancer is able to summon an additional 1d6 cats, this ability applies to each of his Cat Summoning Spell-Like Abilities, to a maximum of 3d6 cats summoned at level 5.

Upon Reaching 7th Level, the Cat-O-Mancer is able to entice Leopards, or Cheetahs (See Monster Manual I) to come to his aid, while still retaining the ability to summon lesser Cats (Maximum of 3d6). However, at 7th Level, the Cat-O-Mancer's maximum number of larger cats is set back to 1d6.

Once a Cat-O-Mancer reaches 14th Level, he is able to summon Dire Lions, Leopards, or Cheetahs. (See Monster Manual I Adding a Template for more details) However, the maximum number of Giant Cats he can summon is lowered to 1d3 + Charisma Modifier. This increases to 2d3+ Charisma Modifier and 3d3+ Charisma Modifier at 17th and 20th level respectively.

Detect Magic- The Cat-O-Mancer becomes intimately familiar with magical auras and abilities through his practice in summoning felines. As a result, at 2nd level, the Cat-O-Mancer is able to cast Detect Magic at will, and it functions as the spell (See Player's Handbook, Spell Descriptions)

Scaredy Cats- The Cat-O-Mancer's understanding of fear serves him well. At 6th level, when casting a Cat Summoning Spell, all bystanders within 10 feet of each cat briefly see their greatest fear (Illusion), and therefore must make a Will Save to disbelieve the illusion (DC 15 + Wisdom Modifier) or be stricken with fear, taking away any dexterity bonuses they may gain, and dazing them for one round. This is a Mind Affecting Spell-Like Ability, it has the Fear Descriptor.

Animate Cats- This spell functions as the Animate Dead Spell (See Player's Handbook, Spell Descriptions) with one key difference: Only Feline corpses may be reanimated.

Augment Summoning- Once 10th level, the Cat-O-Mancer's call across the planes is strong enough to bring forth more powerful cats. This ability functions as the Augment Summoning (See Player's Handbook Feat Descriptions), this bonus doubles at 18th level.

Ghast Cats- At 12th Level, the Cat-O-Mancer's minions become attuned to his negative energy, allowing them to bestow 1 Negative Level on a successful hit to an opponent who fails a Fortitude Save (DC 18+ Wisdom Modifier)

Noxious Cats- At 16th level, the Cat-O-Mancer's summoned minions are capable of carrying a special disease. Upon a successful hit, and a failed Fortitude Save (DC 18+ Wisdom Modifier), the target becomes subject to Warp Touch (See The Book of Vile Darkness, Page 31 Table 2-5 for effects). Provided all conditions are met, the target subjected to the disease is affected by one of the listed Side-Effects (Determined by a d100 roll).
    This effect is immediate, and lasts up to 1d3 days + The Cat-O-Mancer's Charisma Modifier. However, spells such as Remove Curse, Limited Wish, and Wish are able to cure the effects permanently.

Extended Cats-
    At this point, the Cat-O-Mancer has attained enough knowledge of dead felines to control them with hardly a thought. The duration time of all Cat Summoning Spells is changed from "Concentration" to "24 Hours". The Cat-O-Mancer can still only control one group of cats at any given time, however, the caster is now allowed to move freely about, while still controlling his feline minions.

Okay, so how does that look? Any comments, questions, suggestions?
    Last edited by TelemontTanthul; 2010-07-30 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Adding Game Rule Information

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Not sure on balance, though I'm curious about the undead theme.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, if ye got questions, ask away. I'll do my best to answer.

As for balance, I am also relatively sure that it is slightly OP.

Might take out the Toughness, Endurance, and Diehard Feats.

But does it all at least make sense? Any confusion on what some of the abilities do? Bad wording? Fuzzy details?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

However, at 7th Level, the Cat-O-Mancer's maximum number of larger cats is set back to 1d6.
    However, the maximum number of Giant Cats he can summon is lowered to 1d3 + Charisma Modifier.
    These are, in essence, new abilities that don't effect the old one, and as such, nothing is being lowered, simply set to an initial value.

I would replace the Roman numerals with the value (in parentheses) of cats that may be summoned for that grade of summoning.

You need to specify the caster level for everything (a single blanket statement that caster level is equal to class level should suffice).

This effect is immediate, and can only be cured by; a Remove Curse spell, Limited Wish, Wish, or the passage of 1d3 + The Cat-O-Mancer's Charisma Modifier days.
    I recommend the above edit for clarity.
    Extended Signature

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Cat-o-mancer PEACH

Any particular reason why they make undead cats rather than living ones?

Also, the 'Extended Cats' makes me think of long cat.

Edit: Never mind, I'd missed in the first post that undead cats were specified.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2010-07-28 at 03:45 PM.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

biggrin Re: Cat-o-mancer PEACH

FROM

This effect is immediate, and can only be cured by; a Remove Curse spell, Limited Wish, Wish, or the passage of 1d3 + The Cat-O-Mancer's Charisma Modifier days.

TO

Sound better?

Anything that sounds too over powered, or needless?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Scaredy Cats: "Paralyzed with Fear" may lead some to believe this also paralyzes you for 1 round so you may wish to reword it. Is this a Mind-Affecting Effect? If so it needs to be labeled as such (it also needs to say it has the Fear descriptor).

It needs skills/proficiencies/HD up. Once those are up balance will be easier ot judge.
    Orcs and Goblins

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ta da!

Anything else that has issues in wording, or lack of clarity?

If not, then on to the balancing issues.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Weapon and armor proficiencies?

Also skills per level are always in multiples of 2.
    Orcs and Goblins

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

...this is highly, highly fun. You are an awesome person. (And a firefly fan! Hooray!)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm yeah. Kinda overlooked weapon and armor proficiencies.

I either want to give the class proficiency with only light armor, or give no proficiency whatsoever. If the player wants to spend proficiency feats to use armor, that is fine, but I just dunno how much that would change the current precarious balance.

Lix,

I am glad you enjoy my rather... unique view on dungeons and dragons (see my "Dysfunctional Dungeons and Dragons" thread if you want to see my latest challenge. I always play by the creed "It isn't what you are doing, but how you are doing it."

Firefly is amazing! Glad to see a fellow browncoat out here.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

You need proficiency with the Cat o nine tails.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    It needs skills/proficiencies/HD up. Once those are up balance will be easier ot judge.
    Okay, so I took care of the Skills/Proficiencies. What do you mean by HD though? I know it means Hit Dice, which I already specified was a d6 per level.

Can you explain a teeny bit? Slightly confused, and I feel like I am missing something now.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah I meant HD. Sorry ti was late and i was tired
    Orcs and Goblins

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alright, perfect!

Now, is there any balance issues that anyone can spot? PEACH!

Do keep in mind that I really do not expect this to be perfect, since it is my first time ever homebrewing.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alright, I posted the Cat-O-Mancer towards the top of the thread, because I thought people would be more likely to comment and give suggestions if they didn't have to scroll down the entire page.

I think it is finished, I could specify some more of the abilities it gets, like Toughness, Diehard, etc etc. But most homebrewers or people that play 3.5 are familiar with those feats.

I truly do hope that I get some more feedback outta this.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

You might wanna give it a lil something extra. As it is you have no real defense other than DR, and no real offense besides the kittehs. Also with the SUmmon ability requiring COncentration, he'll be a tad vulnerable.
    Orcs and Goblins