New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Iron Heroes Arcanist: did the designers read their own class?

I decided to get a PDF because I was curious of Iron Heroes (plus cheap).
    I thought it was a decent chance at low powered game till I read Arcanist + magic rules.

An Arcanist can kick a Wizards butt. I'm serious because you can do the Project image trick from Buldar's Gate 2 (similar to astral Projection trick in 3.5).
    Why? Illusions that are x% real are only fake for damage nothing else. Best chance he has is disrupting Concentration to beat you (but at mastery 3 it lasts concentration +2 rounds).
    Every spell the illusion mage casts isn't using your mana.

Granted, you need 3rd lv before you get these awesome effects (minimum 10% real), but I digress.

Even drawback: can't use illusion for attacking due to will save interact mechanic (Wizards have good Will saves), but you can boost DC by inputing additional mana (although that increases channel failing) if you go that route.
    But free buffs are nothing to sneeze at.

Beyond that he has an Eldritch Blast choice (at will) like a 3.5 warlock called Eldritch Dart (or something). Shoots 1/attacks (so if multiple attacks, multiple darts).

Evocation sucks, but geez way for setting/flavor to be opposed to mechanics.

This may be old news, but seems scary the designers can fail this bad at conjoining setting flavor and mechanics.

Also Conjuration apparentlty is based on HD not CR so that might also be broken with creativity.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Iron Heroes Arcanist: did the designers read their own class?

It's no secret, the arcanist was put in at last minute because people wanted some kind of mage. Just play without it, or better yet, use one the fixes online.

Ah, but I still love how being smarter makes your spells harder to cast. That really cracked me up.

But really, how exactly does an arcanist kill a 3.5 wizard? I'm not really seeing it.
    Last edited by Tinydwarfman; 2010-08-01 at 09:33 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

They fixed that in the errata about Int being bad. But yeah that was silly.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tinydwarfman View Post
    Ah, but I still love how being smarter makes your spells harder to cast. That really cracked me up.
    Obviously, the smarter you are, the more you realize that magic shouldn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Arcanist is kind of broken, but it's also supposed to have major RP drawbacks. Yeah, you can kill stuff with spells.. and then have everyone who sees you do it tell everyone they know until the kingdom's entire army has assembled for the sole purpose of wiping you out like the dangerous abomination you are.
    Some things I do that you might enjoy:
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software
    Latest: Kingdom Builder Generator Pack II

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swordgleam View Post
    Arcanist is kind of broken, but it's also supposed to have major RP drawbacks. Yeah, you can kill stuff with spells.. and then have everyone who sees you do it tell everyone they know until the kingdom's entire army has assembled for the sole purpose of wiping you out like the dangerous abomination you are.
    No one kills with spells much I'd assume: ineffecient.

You summon a beatsick to kill or buff/debuff.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I really like the idea behind the Arcanist's design; the whole "build-a-spell" paradigm appeals to me a lot more than the standard D&D Vancian casting.

The actual implementation of the spells is pretty borked, though. Keep in mind that Arcanists don't get all that much mana, though; getting the better options on your spells will run you down quickly. (Not that a broken-three-times-a-day-and-useless-the-rest class is all that much better than a broken-all-day class, in terms of game design, but so it goes.)

Iron Heroes is a fun game, but I wouldn't recommend keeping the Arcanist in it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JaronK
    Why on earth would there be superstition in a world where you can just ask the gods stuff? "Hey, I hear throwing salt over your shoulder prevents bad luck." "Oh yeah? I'll ask the god of luck, brb."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    Hey, it could be worse. It could be monks. One day, someone will start a thread titled "4E monks, more morally justified than 3.5 wizards!", and the world will end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq
    Now, of course, what is a ninja? (A miserable little pile of shuriken!)

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    No one kills with spells much I'd assume: ineffecient.

You summon a beatsick to kill or buff/debuff.
    Indirectly kill stuff with spells, then.

I was looking at taking a level of arcanist with my man-at-arms, just to up his overall "jack of all trades" factor. But he already had a level of berserker, so it seemed like it would be a bit much.

Iron Heroes is an awesome system, aside from the arcanist.
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software

9. - Top - End - #9

Actually, I recently found a very nice looking fix for it. Where was it... Ah ha! Anybody care to take a closer look?

10. - Top - End - #10

I've heard good things about that particular fix, though I haven't tried it myself.

11. - Top - End - #11

DwarfClericGuy

So you guys know about Spiritualist in the Player's Companion?
    Around here I have a very responsible position. Every time something goes wrong I'm responsible.

12. - Top - End - #12

Every spell you cast as an arcanist has a chance to blow up in your face.

Every spell.

Now please tell me how the arcanist is so powerful again?
    1. Have fun. It's only a game.
    2. The GM has the final say. Everyone else is just a guest.
    3. The game is for the players. A proper host entertains one's guests.
    4. Everyone is allowed an opinion. Some games are not as cool as they seem.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swordgleam View Post
    Never leave witnesses alive. Diligence, ladies and gentlemen, is of utmost importance when dealing with eldritch energies.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

14. - Top - End - #14

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Umael View Post
    Every spell you cast as an arcanist has a chance to blow up in your face.

Every spell.

Now please tell me how the arcanist is so powerful again?
    In theory, this is a good balancing mechanism. I think the idea is that the Arcanist relies on skills, feats, and manipulation most of the time, rather than magic. In practice, though, this means they'll have almost nothing to do in combat unless they're willing to risk big punishment, and having a class that's broken half the time and punching itself in the face the other half isn't particularly fun to play.

I think the idea behind the Arcanist is sound; the implementation is lacking.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JaronK
    Why on earth would there be superstition in a world where you can just ask the gods stuff? "Hey, I hear throwing salt over your shoulder prevents bad luck." "Oh yeah? I'll ask the god of luck, brb."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    Hey, it could be worse. It could be monks. One day, someone will start a thread titled "4E monks, more morally justified than 3.5 wizards!", and the world will end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq
    Now, of course, what is a ninja? (A miserable little pile of shuriken!)