New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default 3.5 large area attack advice

I am in a game at the moment where it appears that I will shortly be overrun by a horde of (well spaced) kobolds, spread out over about 200 feet. I am looking for a spell of third level or below which can quickly (I estimate we have about four rounds before they destroy the macguffin) kill or otherwise incapacitate a large number of them which is of third level or below. (I have mage of the arcane order, so I should be able to prepare it quickly). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by NM020110; 2010-08-03 at 06:45 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 large area attack

Stinking cloud might be your best bet lasts 1 round / level. nauseated enemies can only take move actions it lasts only for 1d4+1 round after leaving the cloud so the effected enemies must be dispatched quickly after leaving. Though it does depend on the terrain and other conditions if it can be used successfully.

The really large area attacks come later, or I´m forgetting a spell ;)
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2010-08-03 at 06:52 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 large area attack advice

I will NOT succumb to evil!
    ...Unless she's cute.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

You could convince them that you've destroyed it first.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

If they're standard kobolds, grease between them and the macguffin, or, since they are kobolds, a standard low-level blasty spell or two (I know, its a sin on these forums)

maybe some illusion spell, perhaps silent or minor image of a wall/pit around the macguffin (assuming they are moving toward it)
    "When the DM is smiling, it's already too late"

Paranoia is fun, other games are not; play paranoia (and also 3.5, I play that alot too)

Spoiler
    Show
    Originally Posted by NNescio
    "Of course all magic manipulates energy, First Law of Thermodynamics, duh!"

See, the thing is, energy in D&D does not mean the same thing as it does in Physics.

6. - Top - End - #6

WolfInSheepsClothing

Stinking cloud looks to be the best, as the macguffin is immobile, and has one hit point. The illusions might work, but there is the possibility of the kobolds swarming it anyway. Here is a little bit more information, in case it would help:

Quote Originally Posted by ghostaxe View Post
    Map:
    We are currently on a wall, which the kobolds are scaling with grappling hook crossbows. I was somewhat wondering if there might be a way to use that for advantage (a lower level wall of fire or similar, for example). Again, all help is appreciated.
    Last edited by NM020110; 2010-08-03 at 08:38 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Wind Wall won't kill them but will stop them from crossing.
    That said, what level are you guys? Round/Level spells won't last the whole battle if you're capped at 6.

8. - Top - End - #8

WolfInSheepsClothing

We're at level 7. Wind wall seems to be perfect for an emergency defense of the macguffin, which is just about my entire task for the moment (I'm the battlefield reshaper). Out of curiosity, are there any spells (of any level, from any class, due to my use magic device of +26 before items) which can be maintained for a long time (preferred permanent or intantaneus) to act as defenses? For example, I plan to use lesser planar binding to get earth elementals to dig pit traps.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Pyrotechnics has a HUGE radius, a decent chance to blind most of them for a bit, and its just plain awesomesause. Won't help you kill em, but it'll thin out the population that can rush forth at any given moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Shape spell metamagic is your friend for battlefield control. Lost of great battle field control spells are really powerful with difrent shapes. Grease is great. Grease in a 40ft cone is fantastic. Lets see those little buggers climb a greased ladder. Aim the cone down along the wall for best effect.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I would hedge my bets.

Round 1, Stinking Cloud on one side.
    Round 2, Sleet Storm on the other side.
    Round 3, Minor Image to mask/duplicate/disappear the thing.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A couple more ideas, just throwing them out there.

Solid Fog
    Chained Power Word: Pain (Coupled with Solid fog, should kill seven per casting, if you can get it.)

13. - Top - End - #13

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'll have to check on metamagic scrolls, because enchantment is one of my banned schools. Pyrotechnics looks like a good bet for buying a few turns. I'll look into retraining to get shape spell.

Any ideas for what would make a good trap spell (Permanencied symbols, walls of fire, etc)? I currently am using lesser planar binding (scroll) to dig out pits, giving me 200 foot pit traps.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Since you've got them around, the elementals can also rubble the entire approach, turning it into difficult terrain which will take them twice as long to cross. That will give your group twice as many rounds to pick them off with ranged attacks.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Reposted (Druid spells though - UMD some scrolls?)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by unnamedhero View Post
    Druids FTW.

Scroll of Move Earth. Make an empty moat before the wall and gates.
    Cast Spike Stones (x2) on ground before the moat.
    Cast Stone Shape (x2) behind the gates. Gates stay closed.
    Cast Plant Growth on the whole field.
    Cast Sleet Storm in front of the gates.
    Soften Earth and Stone on as much of the field as possible.

That sould take care of any ground based invaders. Everyone grab a bow and pick off the flyers while the mage's drop AoE's on the monsters stuck on the ground.

For right now Glitterdust and Fog Cloud will block their visibility. Fireball will kill them.

When you have prep time later buy a Wizard scroll of Stone Shape and save it for the next rush. Pop a dome around the crystal when they rush. In between rushes make posts with wooden slats on them, staggering them around the crystal. Write on them in big letters in Common/Goblin "EXPLOSIVE RUNES".

UMD a scroll of Spike Stones around the crystal as well during next rush.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Caltrops. Lots and lots of caltrops. Each successful hit deals 1 point of damage. Assuming that the kobolds have an AC of 13 (caltrops ignore armor), then each kobold only needs to move across 8ish squares before it is killed. The caltrops also slow down the movement of their targets and prevent charging or running, giving your archers more time to shoot them. And by RAW moving through an area of caltrops does not clear the square. They remain their perpetually until someone takes the time to pick them up.

17. - Top - End - #17

WolfInSheepsClothing

Caltrops, stone shape, and the druid spell list looks to be a clear winner (at least until I can get another scroll of lesser planar binding).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

This is above your level, but a solid cubic Forcecage would actually be perfect for this. Just cast it over the MacGuffin. Unless the kobolds have access to a pick of piercing or a disintegrate spell there's no way they can get through for several hours.

What might I ask is the MacGuffin? Because if it's small enough you could use Stone Shape to encase it in a large block of hard stone. That would provide protection from random attacks like a stray arrow, and require the kobolds to spend some time chopping at it with picks before they could damage it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

well if you have earth elementals, have them bury the macguffin until all the kobolds are dead (in a pit, covered so the kobolds dont know its location. Then kill the kobolds at your leasure
    "When the DM is smiling, it's already too late"

Paranoia is fun, other games are not; play paranoia (and also 3.5, I play that alot too)

Spoiler
    Show
    Originally Posted by NNescio
    "Of course all magic manipulates energy, First Law of Thermodynamics, duh!"

See, the thing is, energy in D&D does not mean the same thing as it does in Physics.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by fryplink View Post
    well if you have earth elementals, have them bury the macguffin until all the kobolds are dead (in a pit, covered so the kobolds dont know its location. Then kill the kobolds at your leasure
    This sounds like a good idea, unless you have some reason not to. What is the macguffin?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJesus View Post
    Plus, with the UMD check, I could just threaten to blow the world up using stonehendge.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I love how it never crosses anyone's mind that the author may know less about astronomy than they do.

I WENT TO ART SCHOOL, OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    From what you described, you were dying.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.
    Brendan Gill

21. - Top - End - #21

WolfInSheepsClothing

The macguffin is a medium sized crystal, which is immobile and is impervious to everything but melee attacks. We will likely be facing much worse than kobolds in the future (including flying opponents). As for the solid bar force-cage; that would indeed be optimal. I am, however, considering the use of a permanent prismatic sphere as an alternative measure. As for the earth elementals, could I please get some wording advice to have them follow multiple commands over an extended period?