New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Most Embarrassing Deaths? (Any)

i must say, there have been quite a few deaths throughout my RP career that i am ashamed of, and i am sure you have some too. here is mine, its 3.5

i was foolishly playing a dwarven defender (it was an extensive dungeon crawl, and i was a new player, but i was advised that it would be a decent meat shield). we had with us a charging Frenzied Berserker, an assassin, a cleric and an Evoker. we were going into the cave entrance and the frenzied berserker decides to check out a room because she saw something shiney.

wouldnt you know it, inside, there was a vampire with a few spawn and some other undead. we have no idea what happens inside the room, because the DM pulls the player to the side and talks with her for a minute after a quite roll (wouldnt you know it, its a will save). but the rest of the room came out to mean the party, which kills the assassin and uses up most of the clerics resources (alot of poor rolls). i am dutifully keeping the wizard alive, and he foolishly decides to throw the biggest boom he could and kills off our cleric. great.

now we finish off the undead and stuff that came out of the room, and as we go looking for our berserker buddy, she walks out of the room in a frenzied state. boy howdy, she is being controlled (i think dominated, i dont remember for sure) by the vampire, who was invisible to us. guess what happens? you guessed it, charge, ran around me, and power attacked the wizard for full with her valorous glaive with a leap attack thrown in. the wizard is down, and it is up to me to outlive the frenzy and kill the vampire, then take all the bodies back to the town so we can resurrect them (ended up rerolling everyone). but, lo and behold, i am a useless dwarven defender, stuck in defensive positions, against a frenzied berserker with reach.

i ask for 5 minutes to look through some books, while the other players get a few drinks or something. in the time i bought, i looked through the quintessential monk II for grappling techniques. i figure, as i had a pretty good strength score and with the right rolls it could work (i doubted i could do anything otherwise, again, i was a pretty new player. heck, i only knew of teh quintessential monk II because i played a monk in my first game!) and found what i was looking for. choke hold. i decided that i would try and knock out the berserker.

anyway, as i was more than 5 feet away, and didnt want to take teh AoO, i decided to take my turn taunting the berserker. guess what happened in the next turn? if you guessed that the vampire would make his appearance, you were right. if you guessed that he was going to grapple me and bite me and drain some of my Con, you are even more correct!

even worse, teh DM was the type who ran games to try and TPK us as fast and as often as possible. he gave the vampire a belt of battle, used it to gain another standard action, and turned gaseous. now i am by myself, worse HP, and prone (i dont know if it is RAW, but according to the ***hole DM, you can not grapple while standing). five foot step by the frenzied berserker, full power attack, full attack, dead. the terrible DM won.

anyway, what is one of your embarrassing deaths?
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Most Embarrassing Deaths? (Any)

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    (i dont know if it is RAW, but according to the ***hole DM, you can not grapple while standing).

anyway, what is one of your embarrassing deaths?
    You can pin while standing easily. I don't know about the rules, I know about real life.

As for an embarrassing death. I was sleeping and I was pulled out of a tent by ghouls in front of our guards who didn't notice it and was killed. Never played with that DM since...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Short Group's wizard died in an incredibly lame and un-int-18 way, we were lvl 5.

dm: npc <lvl 17 guy> goes to enter the portal to hell
    wiz: i go with him
    dm: he says "Do not follow me. I cannot ensure anyone's safety"
    wiz: ok
    dm: npc enters the portal
    wiz: i wait a few moments and sneak in
    dm: as you enter, a fireball explodes and you are hurled back into the material plane.
    <rolls dice>
    dm:congratulations, you're at -13.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

My very first death.

I was an elf wizard, level 2.

DM: "So, you have killed the sentry, but made a lot of noise in the process. The rest of the orc army is now running at you over the hill."
    Me: "I loot the corpses!"
    DM: "An army is running towards you, they are only carrying basic gear, and you are looting them?"
    Me: "You're right, that's stupid. I shoulder the two corpses and run, so I can loot them later!"

Yeah.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    My very first death.

I was an elf wizard, level 2.

DM: "So, you have killed the sentry, but made a lot of noise in the process. The rest of the orc army is now running at you over the hill."
    Me: "I loot the corpses!"
    DM: "An army is running towards you, they are only carrying basic gear, and you are looting them?"
    Me: "You're right, that's stupid. I shoulder the two corpses and run, so I can loot them later!"

Yeah.
    lol, how foolish to think that an elf, even when not a wizard, would have the strength to carry a pair of corpses
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

6. - Top - End - #6

It was my second session ever, late in the evening, and I was tired.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    It was my second session ever, late in the evening, and I was tired.
    of course, i am merely amused by the picture in my head of the whole situation
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

It was a Vampire the masquerade campaign. I had a Lasombra die because they were hiding in a dumpster from a powerful Hunter, when it was apparently garbage day. It took me two more characters in as many sessions before I said 'screw it,' and made one too strong to kill.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

A friend of mine was lured to dive into an underground lake. The DM mentioned that there were some shiny stones there and the character jumped right in. Other players felt kind of obligated to let the stupidity have its price.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

It was an almost embarrassing death. I was on my own trying to get a level. Ran into a behir that was equal to my challenge rating. Fought for awhile and managed to pin it down so it couldn't move. Now I was pretty beat up and should have peppered it with arrows, but I had a shiney new hammer and wanted to use it. Well, I forgot behir has constrict and I couldn't get out of the grapple checks. So the DM basically said I had won save for being stupid right at the end and had a outsider that owed me a favor save me. The behir had 4 hit points left before it grappled me . Thankfully, the party dosn't know about that incident.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I keep telling this story enough I ought to save it to a wordpad file for convenience.

Spoilered for hilarity length:
    Spoiler
    Show
    3.5 game with an old-school DM who still has, and uses, a book of weird magical artifacts from 1e. As one of our treasure hauls around level 6 or so, we got 1) a Portable Hole and 2) a big overstuffed chair that just oozed magic. We got it Identified and Legend Lored to be a chair that transported its occupant from any point in our prime material plane, through the astral plane, to any other point in our prime material plane. Hmm, seems useful. Fast forward a few sessions to find that the plot needs us to be on the other side of Faerun, considerably quicker than our newly-7th level Wu-Jen could get us there. We had a bright idea. All but one of us hopped into the Portable Hole, with the one with the highest UMD left outside to shout 'All Aboard!', settle into the La-Z-Boy of Translocation, and proclaim the activation word. The activation word, naturally, activated the curse. Captain UMD was gagged and bound to the chair, by the chair, which then teleported to a random spot in the middle of the woods. He was going to be stuck there for several hours before the chair released him, and we would be stuck in the Portable Hole until he released us. DM told him that as long as he didn't roll a random encounter, there should be no issue. Cue the Natural 1 on the random encounter check. We still had a couple of outs, as the random encounter table could have given us merchants or similarly innocuous beings. Of course, Captain UMD rolled up... wolves. He was devoured where he sat in the chair, and we, stuck in a folded Portable Hole in his pocket that the DM ruled (before the activation word was used) that he needed to release us from, suffocated to death. TPK by La-Z-Boy and Portable Hole.
    Last edited by Amphetryon; 2010-08-04 at 03:43 PM. Reason: punc.tuat'ion
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hehe. This wasn't my death, but it was pretty funny.

Our party is high-level (around 14-15). The party is split (always happens in this party) and several of us are fighting for our lives against higher-level wizards in a small room. There's a wall of fire in the middle of the room to block their LoS, but they Wall of Forced the door (underground, so no windows) so we had to stand and fight (our sorceress has no teleportation magic). However, we do have a message, so we've called to the monk (who has really good items that make him actually decent), and he's on the way.

The sorceress and I (fighter-type) are barely holding our own against the two wizards, when our monk arrives. He's been told there's a Wall of Force, but regardless, knowing the impossibilities of it, makes a leaping kick to attempt to break it down. He rolls a natural 20 on his jump check, so the DM asks him for a STR check. Natural 20 there too, so the DM let him shatter the Wall of Force, ending his movement inside the room in front of the stunned enemy wizards. One of the stunned wizards quite appropriately decides this new guy is a threat, and quickened-true-strike-Disintegrates him. And the monk botches his Fort save.
    Last edited by Dr Bwaa; 2010-08-06 at 03:59 AM.
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

We-ell... Pathfinder Walls of Force have hit points and Hardness...
    Amazing stuff though.

I guess while I'm here...:

Epic level game, I join late and roll up a quickie to play alongside my friends. They say they need a rogue since their last one had to quit, so I draft up a Teflammar Shadowlord rogue thing. Trouble is, skill points in 3.5 come at a premium, even at epic, but I was barely able to scrape together enough to cover the roguey basics, or so I thought.

The setting: Forgotten Realms, in an arctic region where there's a huge dead magic zone (that we didn't know about til we got there!). Our party heads toward the dungeon, me in the lead, and note our magic items suppress. "Well, no helping it, just gotta keep moving forward." Across the ice floes we go until, without warning, the ice beneath my character explodes before a pair of great, clawed arms and a large toothy maw. Down into the arctic depths i go, grappled, it turns out, by a dire polar bear. In a dead magic zone. No free movement for me, no spiffy strength or dex boosters, no teleportation shenanigans, can't even do my shadow jumping junk. I am up **** creek and my paddle's back in Neverwinter. "But wait!" exclaims my party members "You're an epic level rogue! Surely you have a significant Escape Artist score!"

NO! Remember how I said skill points are at a premium? Escape Artist managed to fall just beyond the cusp of necessary skill point expenditures into the land of "If I just had one more skill point per level." To make matters worse, the dead magic zone extended a mile under the ice floe. My poor rogue drowned that day, but at least that d*** polar bear got what was coming as the wizard PaO'ed an orca into a half dragon orca and offered up the polar bear as a snack. Serves the fuzzy demon right.

I still don't take Escape Artist ranks. The story still gets circulated, and each time the teller receives an indignant middle finger from me as I curse about epic freaking polar bears in dead magic zones.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lordhenry4000 View Post
    Hehe. This wasn't my death, but it was pretty funny.

Our party is high-level (around 14-15). The party is split (always happens in this party) and several of us are fighting for our lives against higher-level wizards in a small room. There's a wall of fire in the middle of the room to block their LoS, but they Wall of Forced the door (underground, so no windows) so we had to stand and fight (our sorceress has no teleportation magic). However, we do have a message, so we've called to the monk (who has really good items that make him actually decent), and he's on the way.

The sorceress and I (fighter-type) are barely holding our own against the two wizards, when our monk arrives. He's been told there's a Wall of Force, but regardless, knowing the impossibilities of it, makes a leaping kick to attempt to break it down. He rolls a natural 20 on his jump check, so the DM asks him for a STR check. Natural 20 there too, so he shatters the Wall of Force, ending his movement inside the room in front of the stunned enemy wizards. One of the stunned wizards decides this new guy is a threat, and quickened-true-strike-Disintegrates him. And the monk botches his Fort save.
    what he gets for try to be a show off! :P

I have done the impossible! *disentigrate, gust of wind*

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

My first real campaign and character, relatively simple dungeon crawl. We were running away from some water elemental that we couldn't converse with and assumed was hostile (turns out it wasn't, actually would've helped us progress, but I was new and didn't argue otherwise) when we came to a ladder. Very tall ladder, something like a 100ft climb to a tiny hole of light above. Fighter goes first, followed by NPC Cleric, Sorceror, Me (half-elf ranger), then the Barbarian. Fighter is attacked by some flying creature that grappled her and tried to pull her off the ladder, but we eventually killed it off and the fighter reached the top. She was promptly asked for a Will save, which she failed miserably, and immediately became paralyzed. At the top of the ladder.

Everyone below her heavy armor-clad ass is told to make a Reflex save or get hit by her. Cleric? Makes it. Sorceror? Fail. Me? Fail. Barbarian? Makes it.

After contemplating the situation, I asked the DM if I could make a Strength check to determine if I could hold onto the ladder despite being hit by our blundering companion. Sure, he says.

It didn't really matter of course because I had a heavy Fighter and a sorceror weighing down upon me, but I'm sure rolling a 2 didn't help much either.

Now, REALLY afraid about losing my first character, I did a little bit o' math and figured out that at 2nd level and my current HP, I could survive the 10d6 fall damage if he rolled consistently low. So I asked him if he'd roll them in front of me:

DM: "....do...do you want me to continue?"

So I died miserably. The Sorceror had 1 less die of fall damage because my body absorbed a bit, but he died too. The Fighter also died, albeit just barely.

The incident was henceforth referred to as "Whump, whump......SPLAT"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht
    Quote Originally Posted by zyborg
    A certain divine ability confused me so much. I was playing the PC game "Icewind Dale", and got to an undead-infested area. I clicked a button, and tried to walk past them. Sure enough, they started attacking me. "Why are they attacking me," I asked myself. "I'm one of them. I already used..."

"TURN UNDEAD"
    Pardon me sir, but I think you dropped these sunglasses.
    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Current Characters + Games:
    Spoiler
    Show

- Gaius in Dead to Rights
    - Basaran in With Hearts of Iron

16. - Top - End - #16

GnomeWizardGuy

Me and a friend died due to two Kuo-Toa's "magical gay hand holding powers"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

My level 11 fighter died to 4 clerics with scrolls of harm that were cast as a spell (not a melee touch). The best part? There was a knight in front of me and some ghoul thing behind me, so they could've never made it to me.

Yes I know, it wasn't my fault, except I should've told the DM that he should read the description of the spell again.

It was an honest mistake tho. :P

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I had a 4th level warmage named Sam Sirus (a pun off of serious sam) that was involved in a raid against the forces of Hexxtor. The big bad of the dungeon was a stone giant or something like that, sitting there in the middle of the room all alone. we roll initiative and I come up last. after a few rounds of blasting (I had a super high int so I was doing a lot of damage but the thing wasnt dieing so I ran up to it and delivered my biggest boom in my book. After nuking half its max hp it turns to me and full attacks. 4th level warmage with an average con vs full attack from the big bad... yeah I ended up at something like -23 hitpoints. all this because I had forgotten that our tank was DMing (we did round table dm) so now the joke is whenever someone casts Cure Serious we would have a moment of silence for my brave warmage.

19. - Top - End - #19

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, it's a 3.0 pirate's campaign - half the party has been captured for various reasons/ship wrecks and are being escorted by imperial galleon to the main content. Im an Ogre from the oriental countries, the imperial red coats had never seen anything like me and were taking precautions (lots of extra security, chains, a pair of guards with a small cannon). But im just sitting there, occassionally looking up at the other two with me in the cell who occassionaly try to talk to me - etc. I dont let on that I can speak common etc but they eventually Sense motived that I could understand them. So anyway, the ship is attacked by a small group of pirates with the other two members at it's head.

The guards are nervous and start facing down the hall with the cannon and with the help of one of the pirates I manage to free one arm and as our rescue starts to come downstairs and the guards light the fuse I nat 20 my held action and smack the cannon with the chain I pulled from the wall and flipped it backwards at the guards as it goes off.

We have some fun on the way out, I end up stalling swaths of enemies by pulling up the anchor chain and anchor and using it is a swinging weapon, I've got Cleave, Great cleave, Cleave asunder and everything else is dedicated to a 'sunder' build. So, I get my initiative and notice a sniper in the crows nest and a line of redcoats lining up on the decks to hurt me, Guess what. Boom nat 20 max damage on the mast, it's severed and begins to fall, the anchor cuts through the first rank of muskets and the mast crushes the second rank because our DM lets us have a luck stat and allows us to roll random extra things on occassion a number of time's per day equal to our modifier and I used my +1 to roll change the random direction dice by up to 2 positive or negative (which landed it right where I wanted).

So, our group has the boats ready, both row boats for escape etc - one tied to another. So I get on my boat and we cut the ropes and fall into the water. I realize I weigh to much with my anchor & chain makeshift weapon so I get one last good swing into the side of the ship and rip open a nice big 30 foot gash because I can use cleave on sunder attempts, it would have been bigger but I rolled minimum and got 1 under total break on another 5ft section so the anchor was wedged in. So I start rowwing as the rear boat keeps us covered from the imperials who try to shoot at us, we get to port and we montage to the equivalent of tortuga because it's a new session.

So on request of the 'captain' NPC I go into the bar with him reluctantly while everyone else is shopping even though he keeps making witty comments about my height and jokingly prodding me no matter how much I tell him to stop or i'll hurt him with high enough intimidates to leave him shaken each time. So, while im eating at the table next to the bar where he's talking things over with the bartender - a group of 20 or so pirates walk in the door and form a near tripple half ring around the captain.

They start talking about debt / blah blah blah - plot lead in information and I stand up slowly when one of them tries to get me to leave by brushing my food off the table and yelling because they're getting everyone to go etc. *Touch attack, Grab - TOSS out the door* "A spill for a spill," I grumbled brushing off my hands, im reluctantly about to leave because they're yelling etc and about ready to draw weapons if I dont, when the captain pops out from their periment in front of me and starts talking boisterously about his new body guards etc. Im like 'you have got to be kidding me...' And I begrudingly stay there because he's saying 'any proposition you have for me, you can say to me crew. Isnt that right Mongo?' He adds slapping me on the back to which I say "Didnt I tell you not to touch me so freely?" and slap him in the back of the head subdual minimum damage etc.

DM doesnt explain anything as the 20 or so enemies open fire - on me even though they're pissed off at my 'captain' and were looking to kill him anyway. They all roll low/crappy but it's nearly enough to kill me overall so I decided to intimidate them a little by Rolling one of my Clan Techniques and manage to make all my fort saves etc individually and ignore all the damage at the loss of con that wont hurt me until after the encounter etc.

They're standing there shocked as they listen to all their bullets clinking to the floor as I stare at them angrily through the clearing smoke. Dm rolls crappy trying to smooth over the situation with his NPC captain and I roll a fumble on a self imposed save on whether or not I was going to return the favor. And so I grab the weapon they bought for me in port (another anchor chain) and yell "No more cowards weapons!" And sunder through each of their drawn pistols with my first attack, second attack cleave through the second row, third attack the third row because of awesome combat rolls. Effectively breaking 20 pistols in 3 attacks. "GET OUT!" I say and half of them accomidate, a quarter are shaken and the rest are simply nervous/too TO'd to be afraid cause pistols are rare and expensive in thiss world (apparently not rare enough if everyone in the crew has one) so the captain NPC run's out with the crowd as I start fighting off the 5 rogues willing to engage me.

Anywho, the party hears the commotion and slowly comes to investigate. Unfortunately they meet the captain first, who explains the situation 'badly' to say the least. "I dont know what happen, he suddenly struck out in a rage and some old acquantances I was trying to do business with attempted to defend me -blah blah blah monster blah blah blah..."

So, the party arrive's im half dead from a minute of fighting off sneak attack flank monkies and im beating the enemy captain with his own luitenant - and taking the situation at face value - they engage/open fire etc. one of them may have been willing to talk, but I was in a barbarian rage so I cant think clearly/etc to his diplomacy as he 'command: sits' me. Im mainly not listening because a person before him and two people after simply attack me in various manners. Of course, im down after that initial salvo 'unconcious' and even though half the party wanted to break initiatives one of the other party members said no because he was half spec'd for Coup de Grace and had a loaded blunderbluss. So *POP* goes ogres head and I leave the table for the night (would have probably killed the party if I had rerolled that night). Sad thing was, the party still defends their choice 'Even out of context'.
    Last edited by Lothmar; 2010-08-04 at 05:17 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The party wizard and the party rogue were being chased and so they trapped and explosive runed a door that the chasers had to go through to get to them. The Chasers later used scry-n-die to get into the room (knowing that the door was trapped) so, naturally, when the enemy appears they retreat through the trapped door without thinking. The good news is the wizard was holding the MacGuffin so if was destroyed with his corpse, and the bad guys never did get to take over the world

Edit for more:
    The LG cleric was escorting a group of evil ex-cultists (still evil, just not as evil) who were selling cult secrets out to a good king when they were attacked by bandits. How does the Cleric kill the bandits? Holy Word, you know who else died? the cultists and the LE party ranger was also blinded
    Last edited by fryplink; 2010-08-04 at 08:01 PM.
    "When the DM is smiling, it's already too late"

Paranoia is fun, other games are not; play paranoia (and also 3.5, I play that alot too)

Spoiler
    Show
    Originally Posted by NNescio
    "Of course all magic manipulates energy, First Law of Thermodynamics, duh!"

See, the thing is, energy in D&D does not mean the same thing as it does in Physics.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Inadvertent Heroic Sacrifice.

It was in a homebrewed World War I era wargame, and my squad was taking part in street-to-street combat. We enter a building, and suddenly find ourselves in a point-blank firefight for our lives. We're all hunkered down behind some overturned tables, the enemy are all hunkered down behind some overturned sofas and chairs on the other side of the room. Suddenly, a grenade lands right in the middle of us. The rest of the squad tries to make a break for the door, but half the team fails their saves, so they're gonna get caught up in the blast. While not fatal (we were Dwarves - URAH!!) it would have stunned them, and the enemy could have just popped out from cover and Coup De Graced them. So, I did what had to be done.

I tried to pick up the grenade and throw it back at the enemy.

Unfortunately, I rolled a 3. The good news is, the blast didn't cause any serious damage to my comrades, and only one of them was lighty stunned, so he was dragged out the door by the rest of the squad. The bad news is, I lost my entire left arm and my entire body was peppered with shrapnel. Bleeding out, my stunned and deafened Sniper drew his revolver and fired off one last shot at his hated enemy. The shot missed, of course, but he died with a grin on his face, knowing he'd saved the rest of the team.

Then the GM told me OOC that I'd basically killed myself for nothing, since the blast would have only lightly wounded 2 of us, maybe stunned one or two of us, and the enemy wouldn't have had time to shoot the dazed PCs before they staggered out the door. It was a bit aggrivating...

But I felt a bit vindicated when some of the other players agreed with me, and their characters actually lit a candle in an alleyway and held a short funeral for their fallen marksmen.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

D20 Modern. My character was dared to take a leak on the wall of the enemy base. My character went ahead and did it. DM rolls a d20 then says, "uh, we're on the east corner right? "As you feel relief you suddenly feel a sharp pain...and then a burning." Roll a reflex save.

I roll a 3

"You're locked in pain as the burning sensation continues. Roll a fort save."

I roll a 1

"You take...ah he**, a lot of electric damage."

Yeah, apparently I peed on some sort of electric box and died...on a dumb bet.
    Suppose you start your game in a tavern that is circular and evenly lit. Where do the PCs sit?

Spoiler
    Show

Characters:
    Draconium- Darus
    Vampire2948's Sandbox- Jayel
    Treasures of the Lower Underdark- Zerith

23. - Top - End - #23

GreenSorcererElf

I'd been studying very young dragons, and knew they had low CR and small breath weapons.

My DM mentions our party sees the wizard we've been chasing (research wizard, more like artifacer, rather than a boom save or die) riding a dragon on top of a tower.

I can see the dragon is only large size, and only barely at that, so it is a quite young dragon. I constantly tell everyone else it's just a baby dragon and we don't need to worry at all.

Then after I threaten the wizard, his mount flies down and breathes - I fail an pretty easy reflex save, he rolls basically all 6s on the breath and just barely exceeds 50 damage, and I fail my fort save against massive damage.

Still the only time this character has died (and we just completed Tomb of Horrors and reached level 11), and it was an instagib from a monster I had just studied and repeatedly dismissed publicly as no threat.
    Last edited by sdream; 2010-08-05 at 09:40 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I was playing a Half-Fiend Drow Wizard//Rogue with massive Int and skill ranks maxed or near-maxed, our second campaign ever. In an encounter with some Yugoloths I decided to go around the Nycaloth that was in charge so I would be flanking him and would get Sneak Attack. Missed since Strength and BAB were still pretty bad combined. Next turn? Got critted by the Nycaloth swinging an axe my way.

That's actually the only death in our campaigns ever to have happened in the midst of a campaign rather than the end. He got reincarnated though, but not as something as physically great as a Half-Fiend Drow.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

25. - Top - End - #25

A giant leech fell on me. During a "cutscene."

In a 4E game I ran, we had a number of embarrassing near-deaths. The party paladin was the biggest crit-magnet I'd ever seen, and would often be struck down within the first round of combat and lay there dying for the rest of the fight. He never got to actually defend anything.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

26. - Top - End - #26

This is During my first Campaign.

Spoiler
    Show
    We had been tasked with exploring a Wizard's Tower, not sure why anymore, but that is unimportant. We eventually came to a room which had two stairwells, one up and one down, and we couldn't decide which way to go. The Party consisted of A human wizard, an elf wizard, a human Druid (animal companion had died earlier in the tower when we werejumped by bandit rogues), and a Dwarf Monk (me) and this was the forth (fifth?) adventure in a campaign. The wizards wanted to go up, and I wanted to go down, the druid did not really care. We decided to split the party, report what we found in the next two rooms and then return here to decide on the plan. The Wizards were fine using summoned creatures as meat shields/trap detectors and the two rooms brought them to the top of the tower after fighting absolutely nothing, but smashing down a few doors and deactivating some traps (read: Used Ogres as shields).

We went down and came into a small hallway. Partway down, we triggered a trap that I had failed to detect, but I passed my reflex save and took no damage, but the Druid was hit pretty hard. Anyways, we came to the end of the hall and fought some form of mini-boss (some type of giant), and easily take him out (note that I did most of that due to the fact that the DM had been nice and allowed me to get some great magic items which increased unarmed damage, one of them being some robe which added 2d6 per hit and another giving me another d6, as well as several armour enhancers so he just couldn't hit me). We then noticed that there was a small room, attached to this one and a corridor. In the small room there were several glass vials, and we figured they could be worth something, so we brought them into the "giant's" room, and then the druid decided to have a peak down the next hall while I grabbed the last of the glass.

So, he heads down and sees a small pool of water, but not much else, and not wanting to explore solo, waits for me to arrive. I, however, found a that the last glass bottle said "good for one wish" on the label, and was filled with smoke. We were low-mid level, so I figured this had to be some kind of trick, but my character thought it would be interesting to see what it was, so he opened it, and a black cloud came out with glowing red eyes and laughed, while I heard the sounds of breaking glass in the other room,before disappearing. Looking into the other room I notice that the glassware has been replaced with several ogres, a troll, and some Kobolds that see me and start rushing the doorway, I decide to wait within and simply use the doorway as a chokepoint to prevent more than one from attacking me. It worked well, and I brought down a couple ogres when the Druid heard the sounds of battle.

He decided to come rushing back to help me and fight these creatures. He managed to kill a few Kobolds, but was already low health from a trap and an ogre brought him down to just above zero, so he decided to retreat since he had killed everything near him, and I seemed to be ok with the troll and ogre that were left. He decided to run, not back the way we came from, but the way he had just explored and entered the room with the pool, which remember he had only viewed no entered. Well with there was a many tentacled beast, think Moria monster in Lotr. As the Dice stopped rolling, the DM ruled he had been tentacle raped... to death.

Anyways, I won my battle (due to one magic item causing fire damage to unarmed attacks) and went in search of him, seeing only a pool and no sign of him, I figured he must have run further in, and not willing to explore further than what was agreed upon, I went to regroup with the wizards to decide what we should do.

Bet no one thought the Dwarf Monk would survive

That was long, so spoilered!
    Bow down and pray to the God of Roads, for without his most Holy Paths, you would be forever doomed to travel through the Roadless Wilds.

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time Campaign
    My Own Hombrew Sci-fi RPG that is ever so slowly being constructed... SLOWLY! Heroes of the Stars Currently on Hold.

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the Cool Avatar

27. - Top - End - #27

Another player's centaur Ranger was killed by posies.
    My bad, gotta be careful with Con damage...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by sdream View Post
    Still the only time this character has died (and we just completed Tomb of Horrors and reached level 11), and it was an instagib from a monster I had just studied and repeatedly dismissed publicly as no threat.
    This is my favorite, because it's not just bad luck or a hostile DM or a single bad decision - it's an in-character and out-of-character dismissal of a threat coming home to roost. It's a genuinely embarrassing moment.

Thanks for sharing it!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The first campaign I was in (3.5).

We were getting to the end of the session, and the rogue was low health. Both me (lvl 4 druid) and the cleric are out of spells for the day. We debate resting, but the dm assures us we can finish the rest of the dungeon as there are no more monsters. After searching a bit we find a room with the quest item sitting in a pedestal in the middle of it. I enter the room to get it, dont bother searching as we hadn't had any traps yet. He said no monsters... guess what he left out.

After about 4d6 of each energy damage (including positive energy mind you. But it's kinda... outnumbered), you have one very, very dead druid. Rest of the party had to make willsaves or be afraid of magic after that...

Tl;Dr: Traps kill tired druids, and leave the party rogue and barbarian aftraid of magic.

30. - Top - End - #30

WolfInSheepsClothing

My 3.0 Conjurer has a habit of polymorphing himself into a dragon and was working on the multi attack feat with the monk in his back yard. Since the fights attracted attention , the wizard had built a mini stadium back there. The big bad wizard showed up to tell the party not to interfere, and cast insect swarm on one of the spectators. The monk ran the kid to the temple, and the wizard/dragon charged the BBG and grappled him.

BBG blew the concentration check to teleport away, and instead cast "Searing seed" ... which impregnates a character with a fiendish version of themselves that claws its way out of you in 1d4 rounds, doing 4d6 con damage. So my Wizard teleports himself to the temple of pelor and starts bellowing for a remove curse .. dm rolls a 1, followed by near max con damage, killing the male character in child birth in front of half the temple.