New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [3.5] Inanimate BBEG

Hi all,

I need some ideas for a stationery/inanimate BBEG. I want him to be at the heart of a dungeon, but his sense extend through the dungeon – if anyone is familiar with the Dungeon Keeper computer games, this is sort of what I’m looking for.

The prestige class in Dungeonscape would be ideal, but I’m struggling to think of an inanimate creature to give levels to. The Brain in a Jar might be OK, but we don’t use psionics in our games. Is there any templates, spells or other things that could be applied to an otherwise “normal” monster to make it immobile?

I want the dungeon to be full of traps and servitors, that the party must battle through to get to the BBEG at the heart of it all.

I’d like to avoid homebrew, if possible – I seem to remember someone made some D&D conversions of Dungeon Keeper for AD&D. I like my BBEGs to be as RAW as possible – something that would be usable in an RPGA game.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: [3.5] Inanimate BBEG

Chanth, I think it's called? It's from the Dark Sun Monster Manual (Terrors of Athas, which can be found at Athas.org), and it's a bunch of brains sewn together of great psionicists. Replace Psions with wizards/sorcerers and you have yourself a really creepy monster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Warforged and just say he's rusted or something, or his body is too broken to work?
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

An elder brain (underdark/lords of madness/MM5) isn't really inanimate, but he may very well be, since it moves only when relocating.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Insect hive queens come to mind, anything with a hive-mind, or an enormous plant with roots and shoots and seeds all the way through.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

In the Thief games, one of the final missions has you up against a mad scientist who has sealed himself in an impregnable chamber while he plans to destroy the world. He's not immobile but he won't leave the chamber and you can't get in; you have to saboutage his efforts from outside, killing him in the process. However, he can taunt and mock you throughout the level over a tannoy system, (naturally explaining his whole plan and motivation in the process) and attack you remotely with a wide variety of machines and robots.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

The Dungeon Lord PRC in Dungeonscape might be good for this BBEG.

EDIT: the OP already mentioned this.

Hmm- Rylkar from MM 5. A bloated creature resembling a huge rat, with a horde of lesser rylkar minions.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-08-10 at 04:08 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quick! To the Homebrewmobile!

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Quick! To the Homebrewmobile!
    I lol'd.

Anyway, Brain in a Jar from LM seems like a good idea. With some class levels, perhaps.
    Awesome Bleachatar by Terry576.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Levethix the Dray Arcane Swordsage from the harsh world of Dark Sun.

Fallout bloody mess avatar by C-Lam.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

10. - Top - End - #10

Maybe an awakened Yellow Musk Creeper. Fiend Folio.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Maybe have a brain in a jar... and give it still/silent spell and a bunch of caster levels. Maybe go illusionist with it too.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

You could just do something as simple as a construct that was built into the floor. It could have been there for ages and its arms/head have ceases however its eyes follow you like one of those creepy paintings...

Heck, in its chest cavity you could throw one of those test tubes with a brain floating in water, to provide the golem with more humanoid/BBEG thoughts. (Protected with permanent wall of force or some such to prevent a rock from killing him)

13. - Top - End - #13

DwarfFighterGuy

+1 for Elder Brain. Just reduce its stats if your group is a lower level.
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

How about the Genius Loci. Basically it's a giant shapeshifting ooze that pretends to be part of the landscape. It magically enslaves one creature at a time, using them as a tool to draw in prey. But although they are enslaved, the slave's personality and goals are somewhat shared by the genius loci. So just have an evil magician enslaved by a genius loci, the two working together to accomplish some wicked goal in addition to gobbling up innocent victims.

If you want something a little more normal, you could just make the dungeon a prison for the BBEG. Maybe they're bound up in invulnerable shackles that also prevent teleportation. Maybe they're some huge beast and the corridors were deliberately made too small for them to ever exit. Perhaps a magical compulsion has been put on them to never leave.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I used an Awakened Yellow Musk once. It was quite fun.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

16. - Top - End - #16

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    If you want something a little more normal, you could just make the dungeon a prison for the BBEG. Maybe they're bound up in invulnerable shackles that also prevent teleportation. Maybe they're some huge beast and the corridors were deliberately made too small for them to ever exit. Perhaps a magical compulsion has been put on them to never leave.
    Bonus points if the BBEG in the center of the dungeon is purposefully pissing off the PCs with harassing attacks - to goad them into "killing him" or "destroying his doomsday device"... ie releasing him from his prison, where he can pop up later outside for some more hijinks.

Bonus Bonus points if the only way to defeat him later is to rebuild something like that same dungeon or put him back in the center of the original and try to post better signage so some other group doesn't do the same thing.

17. - Top - End - #17

I think a GLaDOS-esque BBEG would make a highly amusing end boss.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Thoon Elder Brain from MMV? Has spell-like abilities, no psionics. Has a 20-ft fly speed unfortunately, but it could sit in its pool. It is CR 15 so might be too strong (what level are you looking for?). Does have Dominate Monster 3/day, though.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...aledEvilInACan
    That will most likely help you, assuming you can make each will save to avoid opening tabs.
    I would recommend something that would exert influence onto the creatures around it, aka some form cultists or mind control.
    Don't forget to have the players conviently track down a way to immunize themselves from the mind control... but don't let them cure EVERYONE... unless you want them to be able to.
    6 Ranks in Perform (Cannon)
    5 Ranks in Disable Plot Device

20. - Top - End - #20

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

A Crypt Guardian...I think it's called. From the Fiend Folio. The Real Dungeon Master.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

How about a poltergeist-style creature? Can't affect the characters directly and they can't affect it directly.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Drogorn View Post
    How about a poltergeist-style creature? Can't affect the characters directly and they can't affect it directly.
    Or just a bad guy with the ghost template, doomed to forever haunt the place where he died.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

How about he is a Lich who is held in chains at the center of the dungeon. The various monsters in the dungeon are either animated constructs or mindless creatures who are immune to his mind control. However, he does have some illusion powers that he can use to mess with the players or agitate the creatures guarding him so that they are more dangerous than before.

The goal of the dungeon is to keep him chained up because if he is destroyed then he will just reform next to his phylactery. He wants to be destroyed so that he can leave this place.

Or, it could be a Lich or powerful wizard who was petrified (and thus not dead to be resurrected or reformed) who somehow managed to retain a fraction of his mind or power after the petrification. He's quite insane and either wants to kill. possess, or trick anyone around him to either kill or release him.

Or it could be any number of awakened things... an awakened ooze that looks like a lake of inky death, an awakened mass of green slime that seeks to feed itself until it grows large enough to overflow the dungeon and conquer the world...

Actually, an intelligent mass of Green Slime would die if it ventured out into the sunlight so it might have a master plan that involves covering the world in darkness. It could manifest as a voice in the heads of various undead or vampires who seek to cover the world in darkness so they could 'rule the earth!". But once the undead actually complete their goal then it turns out the Green Slime was just using them so that IT could leave its dungeon and cover the world in flesh-eating slime!

Give it caster levels and the ability to command oozes or move masses of water around. Maybe its a cleric and uses its Rebuke Undead power to control undead beings to do its dirty work and then other spells to lift up masses of its otherwise inert slimy body to hurl at its enemies.

Imagine the adventurers entering the lair of the Slime Priest to see a huge lake of green slime covering the cavernous room. Then the lake itself casts Control Slime and lifts up a cubic mass of itself and hurls it at them!

Replace green slime with Brown Mold or similar and you get an intelligent mass of heat-eating mold that wants to spread out of the dungeon and devour ever flame, every single spark of heat in the entire world. If the oceans turn to ice and the grass and animals are forever frozen into icy sculptures of the dead then so be it.

Bonus points if all the monsters in this dungeon love cold and are damaged by heat and the players have an opportunity to flood the whole dungeon with hot water or steam to 'kill all the monsters inside without wasting our time' give them full XP for all the monsters and then let them know that the sapient brown mold the dungeon was built to contain just LOVES heat.

25. - Top - End - #25

My first thought was a demilich. Although that would probably be a bit too tough for most parties. I suppose you could take the unmoving hyperintellegent skull idea and apply it to a weaker undead.
    Campaign:
    The Secret of Trottleburg IC OOC

Characters:
    Misrahi Laroux of The Times They Are A-Changing
    #14 of Frenzied Entourage
    Lilen Zheng of Trouble in Tashwell
    Wilbur Rustbreath of Starting a Blue Dawn
    Lilen Avatar by Darwin. The rest by me.

26. - Top - End - #26

MindFlayer

Am I the only person who read the title and thought Sauron?

27. - Top - End - #27

Put an evil spin on Inevitables

28. - Top - End - #28

Can't help much in this thread (still new to D&D), but I've been wanting to do this in 4e.

Quote Originally Posted by DementedFellow View Post
    Am I the only person who read the title and thought Sauron?
    Actually, my first thought was Skorne (Gauntlet Legends/Dark Legacy)

29. - Top - End - #29

A critter designed for the RPG Superstar contest (by that years winner, even), the Dungeon Core, might be useful for this sort of idea. Her idea of having a Phrenic Dungeon Core that has awakened into psychic ability seems particularly fun.

It's the second monster in the entry.
    Last edited by Set; 2010-08-10 at 11:24 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

A mummy sorcerer with the Dungeon Lord PrC locked in his sarcophagus. Dispense with the Egyptian feel if it isnt appropriate, because alot of different cultures mummified their dead. You could put a really cool spin on it with a really huge, ornate sarcophagus. And he wants ouuuuuutttt.
    "One saving throw at a time."