New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Nature gods for a campaign setting

Greetings playground, the Dark lord extravagantEvil is asking for assistance.
    It concerns a campaign setting I am designing, which I may post of on completion because I am enthralled by it, I am trying to craft gods of the elements, based on Chinese, Japanese, and myths of similar cultures. I need to know of deities that could fill this role, for my mythical knowledge does not extend that far into the realm of the chinese and japanese mythos. The elements that I am using are: The classical 4, metal and wood to keep with the asian feel to the elemental gods. Thank you for your assistance.
    Last edited by ExtravagantEvil; 2010-08-11 at 01:01 PM.
    Check out the Hansbachman Blog, it's a cure for all of your ills!
    It's Grade A, Top Notch, and One of a Kind!
    All natural, Backwards Compatible and Moving Forward with the times.
    We're off-brand, off-tempo, and on point, with an ear to the ground, finger on the pulse, and hand on the trigger.
    We're on the beat like Ginsberg, hyper-aware and hyper-active.
    Running on multi-actuated heavy duty pistons with a pistol grip.

Thanks to Dashwood for the Extravagant Avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Nature gods for a campaign setting

Feng-Po-Po was a goddess of the air, who ruled over storms and rains. Hsuan-T'ien-Shang-Ti was a god of water, and he cleansed people and places, removing evil demons (basically, performing exorcisms).

my empire of doom begins NOW!
    Spoiler
    Show
    "How would that flying cat work? Would you tape buttered toast to its feet buttered side-to-foot? Because cats always land on their feet, and buttered toast always lands buttered side-down."

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think."--Adolf Hitler
    "Summon iPod" or "Summon DM's Best Friend" avatar by me, of me

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd recommend www.godchecker.com for all for your deity needs. They've got a pretty comprehensive list of various Gods and Goddesses.

Avatar courtesy of araveugnitsuga.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

When i was designing an oriental setting I used the four feng shui animals as gods.

Black Tortoise of the North: Water
    Azure Dragon of the East: Wood
    Vermilion Bird of the South: Fire
    White Tiger of the West: Metal

And if I remember correctly the Yellow Dragon of the emperor ruled the center, and was associated with Earth.
    "One saving throw at a time."

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by ExtravagantEvil View Post
    Greetings playground, the Dark lord extravagantEvil is asking for assistance.
    It concerns a campaign setting I am designing, which I may post of on completion because I am enthralled by it, I am trying to craft gods of the elements, based on Chinese, Japanese, and myths of similar cultures. I need to know of deities that could fill this role, for my mythical knowledge does not extend that far into the realm of the chinese and japanese mythos. The elements that I am using are: The classical 4, metal and wood to keep with the asian feel to the elemental gods. Thank you for your assistance.
    You could use the four elemental beasts of eastern astrology. They seem to turn up in RPGs a lot.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moon-faced Assassin of Joy

6. - Top - End - #6

Thank you, with the information you have given me I've produced an interesting concept, and I might need help with other deities in this; a now dead gnome creator god (gnomes are mildly atheist, believing in a philosophy that is basically the Zeitgeist, but a different name), and a Native American type who could create centaur.

Here is the fluff you may need:
    Giants and Dragons were the first created beings, by the humanoid gods and elemental gods respectively. They fought each other, gods realized they'd need something better, as they discussed human god crafted man, other gods didn't like him doing that, even if they liked the model, but wanted to make adjustments. So they had taken clumps of humans and lead them away to become races they'd want.
    Races: Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, Humans, and Savage Races (Goblin, Orc, etc. These being Judeo Christian in creation, born of sin and what not)
    Check out the Hansbachman Blog, it's a cure for all of your ills!
    It's Grade A, Top Notch, and One of a Kind!
    All natural, Backwards Compatible and Moving Forward with the times.
    We're off-brand, off-tempo, and on point, with an ear to the ground, finger on the pulse, and hand on the trigger.
    We're on the beat like Ginsberg, hyper-aware and hyper-active.
    Running on multi-actuated heavy duty pistons with a pistol grip.

Thanks to Dashwood for the Extravagant Avatar