New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [4e] Evangelist Warlock

I'm playing a warlock who is/believes he is the first priest of the Old Ones, and is trying to spread the good news. I'll be giving sermons in town squares about the importance of hastening Yog Sogoth's inevitable awakening and destruction of the prime material, Astral Sea, etc. in order to build a cult.

Normally I'd argue that sermonizing is Diplomacy/Religion, but would "If you don't worship the Old Ones you'll have to watch them devour your friends" be Intimidate/Arcana instead? If not, is there a better way for me to gain training in Diplomacy than Skill Training?
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] Evangelist Warlock

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreytheGreen View Post
    Normally I'd argue that sermonizing is Diplomacy/Religion, but would "If you don't worship the Old Ones you'll have to watch them devour your friends" be Intimidate/Arcana instead?
    Sure, if you can convince your DM of that.

If not, is there a better way for me to gain training in Diplomacy than Skill Training?
    Take a multiclass feat or a background.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Background would be the best way to go, pick the right one and you may get a +2 in it :p
    I have to give Paizo credit...

They took an established work and said they fixed it but didn't actually fix it and yet still made money off from it.

How can you beat that?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Evard View Post
    Background would be the best way to go, pick the right one and you may get a +2 in it :p
    Depends. Might be able to grab Diplomacy as a class skill with one of the divine multiclass feats (not sure, I think they all give Religion but haven't really checked) and thereby also open up that paragon-tier feat (Sibling to the Stars) that lets eldritch blast and warlock's curse do radiant damage (in case it ever matters).

Edit: The Soldier of Virtue paladin multiclass feat (requires Wis 15) appears to be the only divine multiclass feat that can give access to Diplomacy as a class skill. Intimidate is already a warlock class skill, but because I already did the research I may as well pass on that the avenger multiclass feat Hero of Faith (also requires 15 Wis) can grant Intimidate as a class skill.
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2010-08-14 at 09:36 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

A paladin multiclass feat seems like a good choice flavor-wise, too. I'd go for that.
    Some things I do that you might enjoy:
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software
    Latest: Kingdom Builder Generator Pack II

6. - Top - End - #6

"Power is merely the faculty to act. It is a kinetic quantity few can grasp. The deaths of these fanatics costs me nothing. I can replace them. Because I never stop moving."

-Lucian~Fortuna Saga-

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by SITB View Post
    One almost has to thank Jack Chick for inspiring so many excellent works of parody.
    Some things I do that you might enjoy:
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software
    Latest: Kingdom Builder Generator Pack II

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Would it be worth it to grab Bardic Dilettante (i.e. daily use of majestic word and training in a skill) instead of using a background? I was already planning on picking up Bardic Ritualist since we need a ritual caster and my INT is decent. I also find the idea of singing hymns to Yog Soggoth and the Old Ones hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by SITB View Post
    Yep, that's me.
    Last edited by Jeff the Green; 2010-08-15 at 09:23 AM.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreytheGreen View Post
    I also find the idea of singing hymns to Yog Soggoth and the Old Ones hilarious.
    "Look to the sky, way up on high. There in the night, stars are now right...

Also the rest of the Scary Solstice album and the songs from "A Shoggoth on the Roof"
    "Power is merely the faculty to act. It is a kinetic quantity few can grasp. The deaths of these fanatics costs me nothing. I can replace them. Because I never stop moving."

-Lucian~Fortuna Saga-