New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell (3.5)

Myself being an active user of DMM: Persistent spell, I was wondering how other people use it. Just post how you use/have used it in your DnD Campaigns.

The three things I tend to use it for are:

1: Combination of DMM: Persistent Spell, Augment Healing, and Mass Lesser Vigor/Vigorous Circle

2: In combination with Time Stop and...

3: 24hr mass buffs.

Though going back and reading through everything again I am unsure if 1 and 3 are legal.
    Amazing avatar by Ceika
    “A player is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisly when the plot dictates he should.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    You're the Stalin of dice!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell (3.5)

Oddly enough I've never actually used it in an actual campaign. I generally only pull it out for arena fights, and make stuff like this
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    Myself being an active user of DMM: Persistent spell, I was wondering how other people use it. Just post how you use/have used it in your DnD Campaigns.

The three things I tend to use it for are:

1: Combination of DMM: Persistent Spell, Augment Healing, and Mass Lesser Vigor/Vigorous Circle

2: In combination with Time Stop and...

3: 24hr mass buffs.

Though going back and reading through everything again I am unsure if 1 and 3 are legal.
    "Apparent time" and the fluff of the spell imply that Time Stop is instantaneous.
    Alternatively, you can make it last 24 hours, in which you have 1d4+1 rounds to act.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Arguably, the persisted Time Stop means you can only do 1d4+1 rounds worth of actions for a whole day.

*Pries shuriken out of his back*
    Last edited by Mongoose87; 2010-08-14 at 09:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    "Apparent time" and the fluff of the spell imply that Time Stop is instantaneous.
    Alternatively, you can make it last 24 hours, in which you have 1d4+1 rounds to act.
    Direct text from Complete Arcane; Persistent Spell Feat:
    “Spells with a fixed or personal range can have their duration increased to 24 hours. Spells of instantaneous duration cannot be affected by this feat, nor can spells whose effects are discharged. You don’t need to maintain concentration on persistent detect spells (such as detect magic or detect thoughts) for you to be aware of the mere presence of absence of subject detected, but gaining additional information requires concentration as normal.”

Time Stop has a range of Personal, and a duration of 1d4+1 rounds. By the effects of this feat the duration becomes 24 hours of time being "stopped" for you.

Direct text from Player's Handbook; Time Stop Spell:
    "This spell seems to make time cease to flow for everyone but you. In fact, you speed up so greatly that all other creatures seem frozen, though they are actually still moving at their normal speeds. You are free to act for 1d4+1 rounds of apparent time."

This means that you are moving so fast for 24 hours of apparent time to you, during which you can do anything that requires hours of the day or the entire day to do. After that 24 hours to you is up, you slow down and time seems to flow normally again and everybody else can "move".
    Last edited by Ryu_Bonkosi; 2010-08-14 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Misworded something
    Amazing avatar by Ceika
    “A player is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisly when the plot dictates he should.”

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Apparent time implies it's only a false sensation. Time Stop is an overpowered haste.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    Apparent time implies it's only a false sensation. Time Stop is an overpowered haste.
    Well that's obvious
    BEEP.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm currently using and I use it for two party wide buffs. Recitation and Righteous Wrath of the Faithful. It's a fairly substantial boost to our melee heavy party. I certainly wouldn't try to pull out any time stop shenanigans with it, that'd be silly.

EDIT: I can manage a 3rd persistent spell per day, but that slot fluctuates. I'm currently using for the spell Stone Body.
    Last edited by Mr.Moron; 2010-08-14 at 12:12 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

The duration says "apparent time". The spell only lasts for one round.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    I'm currently using and I use it for two party wide buffs. Recitation and Righteous Wrath of the Faithful. It's a fairly substantial boost to our melee heavy party. I certainly wouldn't try to pull out any time stop shenanigans with it, that'd be silly.

EDIT: I can manage a 3rd persistent spell per day, but that slot fluctuates. I'm currently using for the spell Stone Body.
    Yes, I agree fully. Only the most spineless and clueless DM would allow a 24 hour timestop or similar crap.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Convince your friends to take Diehard and D:MM Persist Delay Death on them for tons of fun!

As for the guy who mentioned Mass lesser Vigor with Augment healing, I've D:MM Persisted Mass lesser Vigor, but I didn't add Augment healing to it. Wouldn't it only add a fixed amount of extra healing instead of ramping up the Fast healing?
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemmingway

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Whenever you use Persist, figure out with your DM whether or not touch spells are considered fixed or variable range. Some argue that they are variable, as the range supposedly varies by your reach.

Quote Originally Posted by ithildur View Post
    Yes, I agree fully. Only the most spineless and clueless DM would allow a 24 hour timestop or similar crap.
    That seems needlessly hostile.
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2010-08-14 at 03:37 PM.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Heck, so what if they use it?

That just means that you as the DM can use it too... mwahahahaha.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Roga View Post
    As for the guy who mentioned Mass lesser Vigor with Augment healing, I've D:MM Persisted Mass lesser Vigor, but I didn't add Augment healing to it. Wouldn't it only add a fixed amount of extra healing instead of ramping up the Fast healing?
    I think the wording on augment healing would ramp up the fast healing but I'm sure it could be debated that you would only heal the extra damage when it is cast instead of every round.
    Amazing avatar by Ceika

15. - Top - End - #15
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    I think the wording on augment healing would ramp up the fast healing but I'm sure it could be debated that you would only heal the extra damage when it is cast instead of every round.
    The wording is that it increases "the amount of damage healed", and it seems pretty obvious from context that it's referring to the total damage healed by the spell. Exactly when the extra healing kicks in for spells like Vigor is left completely up to the DM, but having the healing spread over multiple rounds does not allow you to multiply the feat's benefit.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)