New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Pouncing Rogue?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Pouncing Rogue?

Would it be overpowered to allow a rogue to take pounce as a Special Ability?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Pouncing Rogue?

Overpowered in relation to what?
    Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
    In the forests of the night;
    What immortal hand or eye,
    Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

-excerpt from "The Tyger" by William Blake

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean, would that be significantly more powerful than the special abilities given in the PHB?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Why would a Rogue want to Pounce?
    English is a second language etc etc.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

To full attack for extra SA damage

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowleaf View Post
    Why would a Rogue want to Pounce?
    Move and full attack in the same round.

Quote Originally Posted by Devmaar View Post
    I mean, would that be significantly more powerful than the special abilities given in the PHB?
    Probably, but it would be good to allow them to take it.
    Last edited by Boci; 2010-08-15 at 07:59 PM.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

7. - Top - End - #7

I doubt it's on pair with the other Special Abilities, but if you want Pounce, it's only a one level dip in Barbarian to get it.

Honestly, while it is useful, it isn't really that good. I'd rather get a bonus feat than any of the Special Abilities - or Pounce.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd allow it. You can get Pounce with a single level dip anyway; getting it at 10th level at the cost of a special ability is quite reasonable. It's useful on the first round of combat (when they're flat-footed), but it's harder to pounce + flank at the same time.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Pounce is pretty useful for a Rogue that can get an absurd initiative modifier. Sneak up on someone, partial charge in the surprise round, pounce, then hide on your turn. Even better when you have Hide in Plain Sight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #10

WolfInSheepsClothing

Exactly how do barbarians get pounce?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by derfenrirwolv View Post
    Complete Champion, trades it for fast movement.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by derfenrirwolv View Post
    IIRC, Lion Totem Barbarian from C. Champion.

Edit: Begone, ninja!
    Last edited by Shadowleaf; 2010-08-15 at 08:10 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

I was actually thinking about a Scout with Pounce the other day. Now that would be awesome, IMO.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrWonton View Post
    I was actually thinking about a Scout with Pounce the other day. Now that would be awesome, IMO.
    Dip a level of barbarian on your Swift Hunter and be good to go?
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by PId6 View Post
    Dip a level of barbarian on your Swift Hunter and be good to go?
    Pretty much. Unless there's a way to get turn attempts for Travel Devotion without dipping Cleric.

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

16. - Top - End - #16

Pretty much. Unless there's a way to get turn attempts for Travel Devotion without dipping Cleric.
    you mean besides nightsticks?
    *note: not all advice by this poster is meant to be taken seriously.

Warlock/Swordsage avatar by yldenfrei

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

17. - Top - End - #17

Paladin? Sacred Exorcist? Blackguard? A dozen other classes too.. Actually, have a list.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Paladin? Sacred Exorcist? Blackguard? A dozen other classes too.. Actually, have a list.
    Well I meant more like "without dipping any other class" as to keep Skirmish at a maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rabbler View Post
    you mean besides nightsticks?
    Will those actually grant you turning attempts if you don't have the ability to turn undead?

Edit: Yeah, no. "Anyone who possesses the rod and is able to turn or rebuke undead gains four more uses of the ability per day."
    Last edited by Wonton; 2010-08-15 at 08:42 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Well I meant more like "without dipping any other class" as to keep Skirmish at a maximum.
    Well, you only need 17 levels to get the maximum offensive so you miss out on 1 point of AC; worth it if you ask me. 13 levels will get you +4d6. I think additional Skirmish-classes also fall thusly that you'll have an extra level or two to work with. As such, you don't actually lose Skirmish in the long run, tho you may lose some for certain phases (singular levels where it'd normally increase, to be precise).
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-08-15 at 08:45 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Well, you only need 17 levels to get the maximum offensive so you miss out on 1 point of AC; worth it if you ask me. 13 levels will get you +4d6. I think additional Skirmish-classes also fall thusly that you'll have an extra level or two to work with. As such, you don't actually lose Skirmish in the long run, tho you may lose some for certain phases (singular levels where it'd normally increase, to be precise).
    Which is exactly what I was referring to... sure, "in the long run", you're not losing anything, but my games generally don't start at level 17, meaning I (playing this hypothetical character that I have little intention of playing) would be losing out on some levels. It's like saying that a Sorcerer doesn't lose out on a Wizard "in the long run", cause by level 20, they both have 9th-level spells. In fact, the Sorcerer is lagging behind exactly 50% of the time.

21. - Top - End - #21

Which is exactly what I was referring to... sure, "in the long run", you're not losing anything, but my games generally don't start at level 17, meaning I (playing this hypothetical character that I have little intention of playing) would be losing out on some levels. It's like saying that a Sorcerer doesn't lose out on a Wizard "in the long run", cause by level 20, they both have 9th-level spells. In fact, the Sorcerer is lagging behind exactly 50% of the time.
    Skirmish only increases damage 4 times though so instead of being behind 50% of the time, you're only behind ~25% of the levels, and not by anything nearly as powerful as higher level spell slots. Instead, you're behind by +1d6/attack damage; 3.5 - ~14 damage. Relevant but nothing major.

More relevant earlier than later since it presents a larger percentile fraction of your composite damage, but as you don't have multiple attacks early, you don't need the dip then either so you won't be left behind until when it's not such a major factor anymore. And, of course, the fact that you get to full attack with Skirmish consistently (as opposed to "occasionally" or "never") means you're way, way ahead in damage compared to anyone without the dip.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-08-15 at 08:53 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dread Necromancer 1/Unseen Seer 1 gains +1d6 Skirmish in 2 levels and Rebuke undead.

edit:
    Alternatively, Halfling Monk 1/Cleric 1 gives +1d6 skirmish, a free feat, monk saves/ac, turning and 3 domains.

Or Highland Stalker 1/Cleric 1. Same sort of thing, slightly less payoff.
    Last edited by TooManyBadgers; 2010-08-15 at 09:03 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Alright, Eldariel, you win this one.
    Being able to full-attack skirmish every time, not just when you have a straight unblocked path to your enemy is better than 3.5 damage every 4th level.

24. - Top - End - #24

Cleric 1 is the best dip in the game, consider it. You can get pretty much anything with judicious selection of domains. Also, take Beguiler (Shining South) for your race - the little critters get 2 claws, a bite, a prehensile tail and also rend. And they only have 1 HD, which swaps out for a class level. Beguiler Barbarians with Pounce and Whirling Frenzy are awesome to behold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting