New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved monster classes(2.0):adapting creatures for player use-taking reque

Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    You know, Oslecamo, I can't help but notice you've never actually outlined what your 'design philosophy' for this project is explicitly. If people keep infringing on it, then you probably should... I don't know, post it?
    And put it in the first post so that it's easy to find please.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-09-01 at 03:38 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242

Default Re: [3.5]Improved monster classes(2.0):adapting creatures for player use-taking reque

Crafty Cultist:Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Stycotl View Post
    for what it is worth, you both have good points in the argument. this is not an issue that is black and white, cut and dry, good and evil. it's got to have room for subjectivity, because it is a subjective argument.

however, you are starting to come off as pouty and resentful, oslecamo, and i don't see that anyone on the thead has given you reason to act in such a way.
    Because this issue wasn't limited to this thread. It went on trough PMs and a couple recruitment sections where Gorgondantress himself ended up admiting that he understood my design philosophy, yet chose to ignore it and do what he tought was right. He kept provoking and I exploded. Then he was nice enough to give up before the thread got locked or I got banned. But don't think you know the whole picture.

too bad, because this project was on a roll.
    Not the first time. Go check the first posts of the original thread and see the speed I put stuff out. It has ups and downs. Even if other people stoped posting monsters I would keep doing it and have rolls of my own. That's how it started. If that's how it ends so be it.

The Tygre:Read the first post. Check out the other monsters done and aproved. There's my design philosophy. Some people caught on it almost automatically (ChumpLump, un_known). Others didn't get it at 100% but still make pretty good material (Hyudra, Crafty_Cultist). Perhaps I should put something bigger now that I have space. I'll think about it once you give me breathing room.

Plus you've been following this thread for quite some time. You already saw how I welcome most newcomers. The issue with Gordondantress was precisely because he was working around here for some time and he basically admited he was ignoring my advices by now. That's not ok by me.

Now discussion about Gorgondantress is over.
    I've got a LOT of piled material to review, and altough I like help, "room for subjectivity" doesn't help me, it actualy slows me down. Have a nice day.
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2010-09-01 at 04:07 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Alright, alright. I can see your point. I'll back down. It's just that I'm kind of crunch-illiterate; unless it's huge, one sets of stats looks like another to me. I just wouldn't want to be a huge bother.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    [
    The Tygre:Read the first post.
    The only thing I see here is "Make them playable without making them broken."
    Check out the other monsters done and aproved. There's my design philosophy.
    in other words "Whatever I feel like should be done at the time"? The Monsters aren't always consistent even within the same type. Solars get 2 skill points per level, don't get all their class skills, only get will as a good save, and only have medium BAB. In comparison the Balor has Full BAB, 2 good saves, 6+intelligence modifier skill points per level, and all of its class skills.

Then we go over here to the Iron Golem who follows the SRD to the letter for what its type gets.

"check out the monsters done and approved. That's my philosophy" Isn't helpful when several monsters don't follow consistent rules.

5. - Top - End - #245

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    The only thing I see here is "Make them playable without making them broken."
    in other words "Whatever I feel like should be done at the time"? The Monsters aren't always consistent even within the same type. Solars get 2 skill points per level, don't get all their class skills, only get will as a good save, and only have medium BAB. In comparison the Balor has Full BAB, 2 good saves, 6+intelligence modifier skill points per level, and all of its class skills.

Then we go over here to the Iron Golem who follows the SRD to the letter for what its type gets.
    You just answered your question. Keep them playable. Keep them not broken. The Solar has full cleric casting on top of some other bonus, so it pays on skills, saves and Bab. The Balor has mostly a bunch of SLAs and stats increase with some special abilities, so it gets full Bab, two good saves and 6 skill points to round it up. Still less skill points than a rogue and less saves than a monk.

The Iron Golem just happens to fall on that philosophy by default. By geting construct immunities out of the bat, it pays on the form of no good saves, crappiest skills and medium Bab so it can still contribute in combat.

By comparison undeads (wich have almost the same immunities than constructs) get good will saves because there's a considerable amount of anti-undead spells that target will, but there's also easier ways to buff undeads than constructs so I can afford to cut their Bab to poor in return for the good save.

In conclusion, saves, Bab and skill points are all changed acording to the monster special abilities. Sometimes they'll actualy fit the original monster's type. But it's far from random.

Since aparently this wasn't clear yet I'll add it to the first post later.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

But don't think you know the whole picture.
    i wasn't making any claims that i knew the whole of the situation. i frankly don't care much about the situation––except that you are turning people away that want to help (one directly, and probably others indirectly, as tygre mentioned).

Even if other people stoped posting monsters I would keep doing it and have rolls of my own. That's how it started. If that's how it ends so be it.
    i recognize that. you were the originator of this project, and have been the glue holding it together. i'd just hate to see you getting no help at all because everyone thinks the glue is going to bite them in the ass.

You just answered your question. Keep them playable. Keep them not broken.
    it isn't that simple though. you have all kinds of rules about what can and can't be done, and for the sake of consistency, they are great. but many of them don't have anything at all to do with breaking a class.

no at-will SLAs is one of them. if this hard and fast rule fits your definition of an ability that breaks a class, then warlocks and d. adepts should be kicking punpun around like a soccer ball.

it would be very handy if you (or someone else that is on the ball) could compile these extra rules and put 'em in the first post.

i've been tempted to make a few of my own conversions using your system. but i really don't have the time to go puttering through 80+ pages and trying to remember where all of the invisible guidelines are. so i haven't done any. i would bet that others are in the same boat.

i'm not trying to rag on you or anyone else, and am about as neutral as it gets regarding the drama that has been going on. my point is just that i think you would get more cooperation if they were clearly posted in the beginning. take it or leave it; won't hurt my feelings.

either way, thanks for the enormous amount of effort that you and the rest of the homebrewers have put into it. i've enjoyed your work.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

TL;DR:

If it is an Undead or a Construct, it follows all the normal rules for the types. Undead have poor BAB, d12 HD, good will. Constructs have all poor saves, medium BAB and d10 HD.

Creatures of other types... It is the builder's choice.

Still here. Still working on the atropal.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

8. - Top - End - #248

it isn't that simple though. you have all kinds of rules about what can and can't be done, and for the sake of consistency, they are great. but many of them don't have anything at all to do with breaking a class.

no at-will SLAs is one of them. if this hard and fast rule fits your definition of an ability that breaks a class, then warlocks and d. adepts should be kicking punpun around like a soccer ball.
    Short version: better safe than sorry. Warlocks have a very limited list of at-will "spells" to choose from. Where do I draw the line on wich spells are ok to spam and wich aren't? And do players really need at will spells? I say no.

Longer version: to come on an updated guidelines.

Note:pun-pun is 99% based on spell spamming.

it would be very handy if you (or someone else that is on the ball) could compile these extra rules and put 'em in the first post.

i've been tempted to make a few of my own conversions using your system. but i really don't have the time to go puttering through 80+ pages and trying to remember where all of the invisible guidelines are. so i haven't done any. i would bet that others are in the same boat.

i'm not trying to rag on you or anyone else, and am about as neutral as it gets regarding the drama that has been going on. my point is just that i think you would get more cooperation if they were clearly posted in the beginning. take it or leave it; won't hurt my feelings.
    Well since there's so much support for that idea I'll be definetely be giving that an high priority. I never imagined so many people didn't post because they're intimidated or something like that.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

It would also help to state what your measure for "Balance" is. Saying "Make it balanced" doesn't do a whole lot when a person reading it could be balancing towards things like tainted scholar or thinking that wizards are underpowered while thinking fighters are amazing.

Just to clear it up is all.

10. - Top - End - #250

Monster building rules done with all I remembered, need sleep now.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Banned

PirateGuy

Soooooooo...

Request: Aboleth.

Has this been done yet? I can't seem to find it.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm afraid I don't have pistures for these. I'm thinking of putting them in the same entry as the kython, but I'll post them here for now, since a new post is more noticable.

The Kython Impaler
    Spoiler
    Show
    Prerequisites: To become an impaler, a player must fufill the following conditions.

Must be an adult kython with no levels in another kython prestige class

HD:d8
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Charge, Speed boost, +1 dex
    2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Bone parry, Sure-footed, Shadow shell, +1 dex
    3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Impaler, Eviscerate, +1 dex[/table]
    Skills: 2+ int mod. An Impaler's class skills are Balance, Climb, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Survival, Swim, and Tumble

Proficiencies: An Impaler is proficient in its natural wepons

Features:

Charge: An Impaler grows large, extendable bone spikes from the palms of its hands. If it charges, it can use all four spikes in a single attack that deals 6d6 damage(plus double strength modifier)

Ability boost: An impaler gets a +1 bonus to dexterity every level.

Speed Boost: An Impalers land speed increases by 20ft

Bone parry: At second level, an Impaler can use its bone spikes to defend itself in combat. This ability works like combat expertise, but the Impaler multiplies the dodge bonus to AC by the number of arms used to parry. The Impaler counts as having the combat expertise feat for the purpose of prerequisites. If the attack bonus traded exceeds the impaler's class level, it is not multiplied. The Impaler cannot make claw attacks with any arm used in this manner, and cannot use its charge attack while bone parry is in use.

Sure-footed: A second level Impaler is no longer slowed to half speed when moving over difficult terrain, provided the terrain doesn't require a skill check just to move through it.

Shadow shell: Also at second level, the exoskeleton of an Impaler becomes better suited for stealth, granting the Impaler a bonus on hide and move silently checks equal to 1/2 their HD.

Impaler: At third level, the Kython is now a full-fledged impaler, and its increased agility grants it the evasion ability. Upon reaching 15HD, the Impaler gains improved evasion

Eviscerate: If a third level Impaler uses its charge attack against a flat-footed opponent, it can strike at the opponents weak spots, dealing double damage. Any creature immune to critical hits is likewise immune to this ability

comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    The impaler only really had one ability that set it apart from the adult kython, so I added a few unique abilities relating to speed and the use of its bone spikes. The Impaler is, in my mind, a fast, skilled melee-assasin, so thats what I tried to create

The Kython Slaymaster

Spoiler
    Show
    Prerequisites: To become an Slaymaster, a player must fufill the following conditions.

Must be an adult kython with no levels in another kython prestige class

HD:d10

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Serpentine form, Greater poison, +1 str
    2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Deadly screech, +1dex
    3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Growth, Improved grab, +1 str
    4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Virulent poison, Constrict, +1 con
    5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Enhanced defense, +1 str
    6th|
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Slaymaster, Disruption field, +1str
    [/table]
    Skills: 4+ int mod. A Slaymaster's class skills are Climb, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Survival, and Swim

Proficiencies: a Slaymaster is proficient in its natural wepons

features:

Serpentine form: Upon starting down the path of the Slaymaster, A kythons legs are replaced by a serpentine tail. The Slaymaster can use this tail to make a tail slap attack dealing 1d6 damage(plus half strength modifier)

Ability boost: The Slaymaster gains a +1 bonus to strength at levels 1,3,5 and six, as well as a +1 bonus to dexterity at level 2 and a +1 bonus to constitution at level 4.

Greater poison: A Slaymaster's poison strengthens, dealing 1d8 points of strength damage.

Deadly screech: At second level, a Slaymaster can let out an extremly loud shreik as a standard action, with the sound concentrated on a paticular point within the range of its blindsight. Hitting the target requires a successful ranged touch attack. On a successful hit, the slaymaster deals 1d6 points of sonic damage per 2HD it possesses to the target. After using this ability, the Slaymaster cannot use it again for 1d4 rounds. This is a supernatural ability

Growth. At third level, a Slaymaster grows to large size. Its bite damage increases to 3d6 and its natural armor increases by one.

Improved grab: If a third level slaymaster hits a medium or smaller opponent with a tail slap attack, it deals normal damage and can attempt to start a grapple as a free action. the creature takes tail slap damage each round it mantains its hold

Virulent poison: At forth level, a Slaymaster's poison deals 2d6 points of strength damage.

Constrict: A forth level Slaymaster can constrict a grappled opponent, dealing an additional 2d8 points of damage(plus 1+1/2 strength).

Enhanced defense: At fifth level, a Slaymaster can halve the range of its blindsight to create a protective barrier. The Slaymaster gains a deflection bonus to armor class equal to a 1/3 its HD, and spell resistance equal to its HD + 11.

Slaymaster: At sixth level, a Slaymaster has fully matured. Its Deadly screech no longer requires a wait between uses.

Disruptive field: A sixth level Slaymaster can halve the range of its blindsight to generate a field that disorients any nonkythons in the area. Creatures in the feild take a -1 morale penalty to attacks, saves, ability checks, skill checks and caster levels for every 4HD of the Slaymaster.

comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    The slaymaster had a few modifications to its ability mechanics. The disruptive field and enhanced defense scale by HD and I added the deadly screech ability. Deadly screech lets the slaymaster combat airborne or otherwise distant foes and fills up an otherwise uninteresting level. I felt that it was thematicaly suitable. The slaymaster's higher skill points represent its increased intellect.

If anyone has a picture for either of these, please let me know. I'm working on the slaughterking now.
    Last edited by Crafty Cultist; 2010-09-04 at 07:59 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aran Banks View Post
    Soooooooo...

Request: Aboleth.

Has this been done yet? I can't seem to find it.
    Has not been done yet.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there supposed to be no prereqs on slay master?
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

15. - Top - End - #255

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Is there supposed to be no prereqs on slay master?
    My mistake. Fixed now

Spoiler
    Show

Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Short version: better safe than sorry. Warlocks have a very limited list of at-will "spells" to choose from. Where do I draw the line on wich spells are ok to spam and wich aren't? And do players really need at will spells? I say no.

Longer version: to come on an updated guidelines.
    and though i disagree with you, i understand your reasoning, and think that it is fine.

Note:pun-pun is 99% based on spell spamming.
    'twas hyperbole, no more.

Well since there's so much support for that idea I'll be definetely be giving that an high priority.
    thanks. that will come in handy, should i ever have time to stat something out.

I never imagined so many people didn't post because they're intimidated or something like that.
    for the record, only one person (that i recall) has said anything that i think could be construed as being intimidated, and even that is a stretch. he said that he just didn't want to get chewed out.

i'm the only other one that mentioned anything along those lines, and my reasoning was that i don't have the time or desire to shuffle through hundreds of posts to search for all of the relevant guidelines.

now, who wants to do hyooz's slender man?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=11
    Last edited by Stycotl; 2010-09-01 at 11:31 PM.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

17. - Top - End - #257
    Firbolg in the Playground

Cultist, here's a slaymaster

Spoiler
    Show

Seems impaler's official picture is part of the picture used for general kythons.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2010-09-02 at 02:54 AM.

18. - Top - End - #258

The Winter King: You left a typo on Spellweaving that you can cast three spells with the same name right away.

-SR should be either 11+HD or 10+HD+Stat. I sugest the first because the Spellweaver is a caster on his own so it shouldn't get improved spell resistance.

-Shouldn't vow of silence come at first level?

-8th level kinda empty. If you can't think of anything can I sugest a bonus metamagic feat or one extra spell known?

-Finally, give it just one good save, bad Bab and reduce the stat increases to +1 per level at best. And then put how much stats they gain total on the ability descriptions.

Crafty Cultist:
    -You forgot the list the total ability increase for both of them.
    -Parry bonus too low, sacrificing one attack and charge for +1 AC isn't really a worthwile trade. I would do something like expertise, sacrifice attack bonus to gain dodge AC, but the bonus is multiplied by the number of claws used for parrying.

Slaymaster looks pretty good! Great work there!

Also, added the Will-O-Wisp and basic Kython, and put a construction note on the planar dragons as I'll need to revise them carefully now that they don't have spellcasting.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay I updated the Spellweaver any thing I missed?

20. - Top - End - #260

Yes, please remove the Dex bonus (+5 to Int and Cha is good enough on stat bonus) and it should be ready.

21. - Top - End - #261

BlackDragon

Initial Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    OK here we go...this is my first attempt at homebrew(well at least that other people have seen!) I've tried to follow the standards in the first post, but if it's wrong, just tell me and I'll attempt to correct it.

Also if someone else has already done this/is in the middle of attempting it, apologies, I had a quick look but couldn't see anyone had called it!

so presenting....

The Astral Stalker (mmIII)

Class
    Spoiler
    Show

HD: d8
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Reflex|Will|Features
    1|+0|+0|+2|+0|Outsider Traits, Rules of The Hunt, Scent, Camouflage
    2|+1|+0|+3|+0|Sneak attack (1d6), Poison
    3|+2|+1|+3|+1|Throat Dart(1d4), +1 Str
    4|+3|+1|+4|+1|Elusive Prey, +1 Cha, Bonus Feat
    5|+3|+1|+4|+1|Sneak attack (2d6), Grace of the Hunter
    6|+4|+2|+5|+2|Throat Dart(2d4), +1 Str
    7|+5|+2|+5|+2|Swift Tracker, Bonus Feat
    8|+6/+1|+2|+6|+2|Sneak Attack (3d6), +1 Cha,
    9|+6/+1|+3|+6|+3|Throat Dart(3d4), +1 Str
    10|+7/+2|+3|+7|+3|Evasion, Bonus Feat
    11|+8/+3|+3|+7|+3|Unearthly Grace
    12|+9/+4|+4|+8|+4|Throat Dart(4d4), +1 Str, +1 Cha
    [/table]
    Skills: 4+int modifier per level, quadruple at 1st, class skills are: Climb(str), Hide(dex), Jump(str), Listen(wis), Move Silently(dex), Search(int), Sense Motive(wis), Spot(wis), Survival(wis)

Proficiencies: Astral stalkers are only proficient with their own natural weapons

Features:

Outsider Traits: An Astral Stalker loses all racial bonuses and traits, and gains outsider traits (mainly Darkvision 120ft). It is a medium sized creature. It has a basic speed of 40ft, and a climb speed of 10ft. Lastly an Astral Stalker receives a bonus to its armor class equal to its constitution modifier in the form of a natural armor bonus.

Natural Attack: 2xClaws 1d6 (19-20x2)

Rules of the Hunt: Astral hunters live for the hunt, but to keep the hunt pure, and the competition deadly, they have imposed certain rules upon their conduct:
    • No Weapons Allowed: Astral Stalkers Claw weapons are treated as +1 weapons for every 4HD, as long as they do not carry or use weapons or armor. (so at 4HD claws are 1d6+1, 8HD 1d6+2 etc)
    • No killing other Stalkers: Astral Stalkers are compelled not to attack and other Astral Stalkers
    • No Traitors: Astral Stalkers are compelled not to turn on their employers

Scent(Ex): as per SRD

Camouflage(Ex): An astral stalker can use the hide skill in any sort of natural terrain, even if it doesn't normally provide cover, or concealment.

Sneak Attack(Ex): An astral stalker can make a sneak attack like a rogue from level 2,dealing an extra 1d6 points of damage whenever a foe is denied it's dexterity bonus, or the stalker is flanking. This increases to 2d6 at level 5, and 3d6 at level 8.

Poison(Su): From level 2, An astral stalker can naturally produce poison, that can be used to coat either his claws, or his throat darts. The poison is applied as a swift action, and lasts till the end of that turn. This ability is at will.
    Poison: Injury; initial damage=Paralysis 1d4 rounds; secondary damage=none;The save DC scales at10+1/2HD+con modifier

Throat Dart(Su): From level 3, an astral stalker gains the ability to fire a throat dart at will, this deals 1d4 points of damage, and can be poisoned (see above). This ability improves every 3HD, so at 6HD the dart does 2d4, at 9HD 3d4 and so on. The range of this dart is 150ft with no range increment

Strength Increase: From level 3 and every 3HD after that an astral stalker gains +1 to his strength

Elusive Prey(Ex): An astral stalker is notoriously difficult to track, anyone attempting to track an astral stalker takes a -10 penalty on survival checks.

Bonus Feat: At fourth, and then again at seventh, and tenth level the astral stalker gets to choose a bonus feat from the following list:
    Alertness, Improved Critical(claw), Improved Initiative, Self-Sufficient, Stealthy, or Track

Grace of the Hunter(Su):At level 5 An astral stalker can add it's charisma modifier as a bonus to it's armor class as a deflection bonus.

Charisma Increase: From level 4 and every 4HD after that an astral stalker gains +1 to his charisma

Swift Tracker(Ex): An astral stalker can move at it's normal speed while tracking without taking the normal -5 penalty, it takes only a -10 penalty(instead of the usual -20) when moving at up to twice normal speed whilst tracking.

DR/Magic(Ex): From level 7 an astral stalker gains DR/Magic, this scales at 1/2 the stalkers Hit Dice

Evasion(Ex): An astral stalker can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If it makes a successful reflex saving throw against an attack that normally does half damage on a successful save, it instead takes no damage.

Unearthly Grace(Su): At level 11 an astral stalker can use it's charisma modifier as a bonus to any saving throw 3 times per day. At 16HD you can use it 6/day, and at 20HD 9/day.

FyreByrd's Comments:
    Spoiler
    Show

OK so it should (hopefully) be fairly clear, obviously the major thing that will probably provoke comment is the Rules of the Hunt ability, I wanted to have something of the flavour of the class, but realised that it needed to actually reflect something mechanically as well as fluffy, so added in the no weapons provision.

I think it's fairly well balanced, it's not going to be a world beater, but there's a few interesting things in there....anyway peach away!

Change log
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Changed Poison & Throat dart to at will
    2. Adjusted save DC for poison to scale
    3. Adjusted progression of Throat dart
    4. Split unearthly grace into Grace of the hunter and Unearthly Grace
    5. Shuffled a few bits around to give a more natural progression
    6. Added bonus feats
    7. Changed DR to scale at 1/2HD
    Last edited by FyreByrd; 2010-09-04 at 07:10 AM.
    Avatar(that seems to have disappeared) by Darwin

22. - Top - End - #262

Volthawk: I have seen that picture but didn't want to use it since it doesn't have arms. Call me picky, but I dont think its a good representation.

Oslecamo: added something about ability score totals in the ability descriptions. Also boosted bone parry. It now works like combat expertise, but the bonus is multiplied by the number of arms used, as you suggested. however a cap has been added. If the impaler sacrifices more base attack bonus than its impaler level, then the extra is not multiplied.

Spoiler
    Show

Or something.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I haven't had much time to follow up on the Roving Mauler, but I would like to know if the changed rukanyr is to your approval or not. It would help me know what to try and do better on future conversions.
    Proud beta-tester for Pirates vs. Ninjas

Contributions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't have enough templates in your life? Let's Read the Book of Templates: Deluxe Edition!(Abandoned)

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

In the employer/BBEG's mansion.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Barbarian in the Playground

On Will O'Wisps, it doesn't say what size they are. I'm assuming Tiny?
    Campaign:
    The Secret of Trottleburg IC OOC

Characters:
    Misrahi Laroux of The Times They Are A-Changing
    #14 of Frenzied Entourage
    Lilen Zheng of Trouble in Tashwell
    Wilbur Rustbreath of Starting a Blue Dawn
    Lilen Avatar by Darwin. The rest by me.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, please remove the Dex bonus (+5 to Int and Cha is good enough on stat bonus) and it should be ready.
    Done. And thank you for posting those guidelines they help alot.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FyreByrd View Post
    No pic I'm afraid!
    here

http://www.wizards.com/leaving.asp?u...d_ag_20040903a

27. - Top - End - #267
    Firbolg in the Playground

In addition to the lovely Ms. Illurien, I'd like to request the Aasimar and the Tiefling (they need some fixing, the poor bastards) and the Arcadian Avenger (MMV).

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    In addition to the lovely Ms. Illurien, I'd like to request the Aasimar and the Tiefling (they need some fixing, the poor bastards) and the Arcadian Avenger (MMV).
    Aasimar and Tiefling are under Planetouched and have been made.

EDIT: Actually, Planetouched is sort of a generic thing in this thread. Read the entry to see what I mean.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-09-02 at 10:58 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Covered: Planetouched is meant to cover aasimar, tiefling, bladeling, chaond, genasi, you name it, it can do all that & more.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

30. - Top - End - #270

Here is the conclusion of my kython classes.

The Kython Slaughterking

Spoiler
    Show
    Prerequisites: To become a Slaughterking, a player must meet the following requirements;

Must be an adult kython with no levels in another kython prestige class.

HD:d10

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Poison spray, Greater poison, +1 str
    2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Debilitating screech, +1 dex
    3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Growth, +1 str
    4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Virulent poison, Speed boost, +1 con
    5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Enhanced defense, +1 str
    6th|
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Disruptive field, +1 con
    7th|
    +7
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Vicious, Rend
    8th|
    +8
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |Rampage, Slaughterking, +1 str
    [/table]
    Skills: 4+ int mod. A Slaughterking's class skills are Climb, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Survival, and Swim

Proficiencies: a Slaughterking is proficient in its natural wepons

features:

Poison spray: A Slaughterking can spit poison in place of a bite attack. It must make a ranged touch attack with a range of 5ft per HD. On a hit, the target is subject to the Slaughterking's poison.

Ability boost: A Slaughterking gains a +1 bonus to strength at levels 1, 3, 5, and 8, a +1 bonus to dexterity at level 2 and a +1 bonus to constitution at levels 4 and 6

Greater poison: A Slaughterking's Poison improves, dealing 1d8 points of strength damage.

Debilitating screech: A second level slaughterking can generate a loud shreik which disrupts the equilibrium of any nonkythons that hear it. Any creature within range of the Slaughterking's blindsight must make a will save(DC 10 + 1/2 HD + constitution modifier) or have their mobility Inhibited. Affected creatures take a -2 penalty to attack rolls, a -4 penalty to dexterity, and have their speed halved for 1 round. In addition, flying creatures are forced to land as quickly as possible while burrowing creatures are driven to the surface. The Slaughterking can use this ability as a free action every 2d4 rounds. This is a sonic, mind affecting effect.

Growth. At third level, a Slaughterking grows to large size. Its bite damage increases to 3d6 and its natural armor increases by one.

Virulent poison: At forth level, a Slaughterking's poison deals 2d6 points of strength damage.

Speed boost: Also at forth level, a slaughterknig's land speed increases by 10ft

Enhanced defense: At fifth level, a Slaughterking can halve the range of its blindsight to create a protective barrier. The Slaughterking gains a deflection bonus to armor class equal to a 1/3 its HD, and spell resistance equal to its HD + 11.

Disruptive field: A sixth level Slaughterking can halve the range of its blindsight to generate a field that disorients any nonkythons in the area. Creatures in the feild take a -1 morale penalty to attacks, saves, ability checks and skill checks and caster level for every 4HD of the Slaughterking.

Vicious: a second level slaughterking deals triple damage upon scoring a critical hit with one of its natural wepons

Rend: If a seventh level Slaughterking hits an opponent with two or more claw attacks in one round, it latches into the creature and tears its flesh for an additional 2d6 damage(Plus 1.5 x Strength)

Rampage: Once every 2d4 rounds, a Slaughterking can make a savage rush through its enemies. The Slaughterking can move double its speed and make a four claw attacks along the way, as long as no two attacks target the same creature and the Slaughterking moves at least five feet between attacks. Any creature of medium or smaller size that the Slaughterking damages during its rampage must succeed an oposed strength check(With the slaughterking gaining a +1 bonus to its check for every five points of damage done by its claw) or be forced to move alongside the Slaughterking for the remainder of its rampage as it drags them. The creatures dragged take 1d6 points of damage for every 20ft moved and are knocked prone. This movement does not provoke an attack of opportunity

Slaughterking: An eighth level Slaughterking is fully developed, gaining immunity to acid.

comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Slaughterking had a few dead levels to fill in, so I improved the poison spray ability and gave it some acid based powers. The rend ability also helped make the slaughterking more savage than other kythons

Edit: the second version of the slaughterking was chaged quite a bit to focus more on melee combat. its rampage ability lets it tear through its enemies, while its debilitating shreik stops enemies from escaping. While its shreik is a mind effecting ability, I used constitution because it relies on the volume of the kythons shreik for effectiveness, rather than mental strength.
    Last edited by Crafty Cultist; 2010-09-04 at 07:28 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Or something.