New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Gaming with The Loonie

So we all have gamed with the munchkin. Threads dedicated to his hatred abound. I'm curious - how many have gamed with the loonie? This has usually been the type of problem player I've had to handle.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheLoonie

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Gaming with The Loonie

We once played an entire 30-level 3.5 campaign dedicated to being the loonies:

We had a dwarven sorcerer named Rhon Jheremy, whose spells all had sexual innuendo written all over them. Message became Sweet Nothings, Tenser's Floating Disk became Rhon's Rotating Love Bed, and I don't think I'm allowed to say what Magic Missile was called.

I played Sho'Nuff the nearsighted monk. Great in melee, couldn't throw a shuriken to save his life. Not much to say here, I was kind of just the enabler in the group anyways.

Then there was Metro the Gnome Bard. (Metro-Gnome, metronome? Get it.) Also he was extremely metro-sexual. He sang a bunch of boy band songs to inspire us.

Being the loony is great fun when everybody's in on it (except the DM, of course; can't clue him in until you spring the characters on him).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    We once played an entire 30-level 3.5 campaign dedicated to being the loonies:

We had a dwarven sorcerer named Rhon Jheremy, whose spells all had sexual innuendo written all over them. Message became Sweet Nothings, Tenser's Floating Disk became Rhon's Rotating Love Bed, and I don't think I'm allowed to say what Magic Missile was called.

I played Sho'Nuff the nearsighted monk. Great in melee, couldn't throw a shuriken to save his life. Not much to say here, I was kind of just the enabler in the group anyways.

Then there was Metro the Gnome Bard. (Metro-Gnome, metronome? Get it.) Also he was extremely metro-sexual. He sang a bunch of boy band songs to inspire us.

Being the loony is great fun when everybody's in on it (except the DM, of course; can't clue him in until you spring the characters on him).
    Yeah I could see it being great fun. Mostly the problems I have are when one player insists on being the loonie in a serious group.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

You always have to have one, IMO. As long as there are limits to his/her shenanigans,and he/she knows how to be serious when it's called for.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Loonies can be dangerous. In my experience they shift between mildly disruptive and enteraining roleplayers. Worth the trouble of DMing for, especially when they do something memorable

Such as a player in one of my games having his character grapple a Remorhaz, deliberately getting swallowed by said Remorhaz and then sending the table into hysterical laughter for 5 minutes with the best Jim Carrey impersonation I have ever heard. By the time everyone settled down and got back to the combat he had decided to empty his characters belt pouch (which had a few doses of poison) directly into the creatures belly and then Word of Recall to safety.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

It can be funny when not overdone (or kender ), as long as the player is not hogging all the attention, and the character can still hold it's own.

My first character in a pen-and-paper RPG ever was one (understandably because I was new, and an over-the-top personality was easier to handle). I still have my friend's sketch of him stored with my luckiest dice (and occasionally have to explain why the halfling pictured is devouring a dog his own size in one gulp).
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    So we all have gamed with the munchkin. Threads dedicated to his hatred abound. I'm curious - how many have gamed with the loonie?
    Sure. I've found two problems with loonies.

One, while they're hilarious in the right kind of campaign, they can be game-wrecking in an overly serious kind of campaign. This can usually be alleviated by treating his more over-the-top suggestions as OOC.

Two, not every player can pull it off. There is a difference between making remarks about genitalia all day, and actually being funny. This kind of player usually quits on his own once he realizes that nobody's laughing at his jokes.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

1. Make sure all the players agree on the general tone of the campaign before the game starts.

2. Lead by example.

3. Consistently ensure that all actions have reasonable and appropriate consequences.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I've encountered two of these species so far... in both cases, sooner or later we ended up no longer inviting the Loonie when we were going to be roleplaying. Both of them proved to be too disruptive and inconsiderate of what the rest of the group was aiming for.

Of course, if the group had been deliberately aiming for zany antics, that would have been a different matter entirely.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

have had almost all my players be a loonie in at least one campaign. never had a player do it all the time though
    Join the bard defense league

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arrowhen View Post
    1. Make sure all the players agree on the general tone of the campaign before the game starts.

2. Lead by example.

3. Consistently ensure that all actions have reasonable and appropriate consequences.
    4. Play Toon with them, or Paranoia.

5. ???

6. Profit!
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post

5. ???

6. Profit!
    Definitely seconded. A game practically designed for that turns what might have been an annoyance otherwise into a really fun experience.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

We've got one now. What's different about him than the description WK posted is that he's not really attracted to the weirdness in the system. He just kind of makes up his own stuff to see what happens. If we played WoD, he's probably be attracted to Malkavian but wouldn't play it any differently than any other group.

I think he takes a birds eye view to the game. He's not playing as his character. He's watching his character. And he wants to make it blow up in the most fantastic way possible.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Definitely seconded. A game practically designed for that turns what might have been an annoyance otherwise into a really fun experience.
    Depends on the player. Unfortunately a lot of mine have been of the "LOL fart joke!" variety. And have led to strict rules of Things Players May Not Joke About due to the prevalence of insensitivity.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post

5. ???

6. Profit!
    TOOOOOOOOON!!!!!

Know where I can get a copy (if it's even still in print)?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been the Loonie before. Great times.

My most notable character that filled this role was Hank/Don, my gestalt Warblade/Healer. I took the multi-headed template so I had two heads, with polar opposite personalities. Hank was hotheaded and bloodthirsty, Don was a wussy pacifist.

I would actually roll each round of combat to see who was controlling the body, and play accordingly. This drove the DM to distraction, as there was no way to predict whether I would be trying to talk the enemies out of fighting, or run at them screaming and swinging an axe.

The whole character was a reference to Hank and Don Hall, two DC superheroes also known as Hawk and Dove, who had a similar dynamic (though without sharing a body). Needless to say, they spent most of their time bickering.

The best part was that even though they had opposite personalities, they still had access to all the same powers. Hank could heal himself quite effectively, and Don could bust out some impressive maneuvers when he really needed to (though he'd be apologizing the whole time).
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    I've been the Loonie before. Great times.

My most notable character that filled this role was Hank/Don, my gestalt Warblade/Healer. I took the multi-headed template so I had two heads, with polar opposite personalities. Hank was hotheaded and bloodthirsty, Don was a wussy pacifist.

I would actually roll each round of combat to see who was controlling the body, and play accordingly. This drove the DM to distraction, as there was no way to predict whether I would be trying to talk the enemies out of fighting, or run at them screaming and swinging an axe.

The whole character was a reference to Hank and Don Hall, two DC superheroes also known as Hawk and Dove, who had a similar dynamic (though without sharing a body). Needless to say, they spent most of their time bickering.

The best part was that even though they had opposite personalities, they still had access to all the same powers. Hank could heal himself quite effectively, and Don could bust out some impressive maneuvers when he really needed to (though he'd be apologizing the whole time).
    That actually sounds like a lot of fun. Unfortunately most of the loonies I've gamed with either didn't have any decent powers or never used them. That and the "HAHA you said ass!" jokes...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I usually just ignore him, as does the DM for the most part. They kind of turn out more normal when you ignore them.
    Last edited by Yukitsu; 2010-08-26 at 01:30 PM.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I've played with two types of Loonies:

1) The Silly Loonie, who is probably the most common (plays Kender, does everything for lulz, etc.)
    2) The Psycho Loonie, who primarily wants to get away with as much extreme stuff as possible (put the enemies' heads on stakes and do a puppet show with 'em for the town? Sure, why not!)

I think the second type is actually more disruptive, unless the entire group wants to play that style. The first group can be contained, and with a modicum of control, can even enhance a game.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    (put the enemies' heads on stakes and do a puppet show with 'em for the town? Sure, why not!)
    There's a term for that.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Back when 3.0 first came out, I had a player play a Cleric of Micheal Jordan. He was the hero god of Air and Travel. Get it? Lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I regularly play a Loonie, with two rules: never kill the mood, and never kill the game.

My current character is a Goblin Spirit Shaman, Ratgash, the "Cutest Goblin in the World". He is overly kind and polite; Carebears look like psycho next to him. He always worries about the well-being of his group, and place healthy communication above violence. He loves flowers, and animals, and people, and... and... everything! He asks the Necro Priest if "he had nice dreams and slept well", he worries the barbarian's lunch is hot and delicious enough, and so on...

GM: A sudden, freezing wind blows...
    Ratgash: <To the near NSFW Sorceress> Oh my, you'll catch sneezing-nose! Here, take ma blanket, you'll be warm!
    NSFW Sorceress: Errr... No, thanks. But it is cute of you.
    Ratgash: My mommy sez I'm the cutestest goblin!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Back when 3.0 first came out, I had a player play a Cleric of Micheal Jordan. He was the hero god of Air and Travel. Get it? Lol!
    ...and lol I did. That may be a classic.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Most of the groups I've been in have been fairly loony-friendly. For example, it was not a problem when we had a "I want to eat shoes and pee on the dead dragon" barbarian in the party (which he did, if you were wondering).

I'm a touch frustrated by an upcoming game, though. It's Mutants and Masterminds, and one guy in the group has put all of his power points into two things: 1) a sidekick who is as good as the sidekick can get at our level, 2) the highest charisma he can manage while maintaining the following, and 3) a max-power continuous emotion control that makes everyone think he's awesome. His stats other than charisma suck, he has no defenses or toughness bonus, and he has no attack abilities. The emotion control is even limited to only being able to make people think he's awesome. He intends to go around roleplaying stupid until a fight breaks out and he gets taken out in one shot, then playing his sidekick instead.
    I'm not that serious a roleplayer, but there is no reason for that character to be with us. He should just be playing his sidekick, and I'm kind of hoping that early on he gets hit by someone doing lethal damage and botches his save...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BladeSingerXIV View Post
    Most of the groups I've been in have been fairly loony-friendly. For example, it was not a problem when we had a "I want to eat shoes and pee on the dead dragon" barbarian in the party (which he did, if you were wondering).

I'm a touch frustrated by an upcoming game, though. It's Mutants and Masterminds, and one guy in the group has put all of his power points into two things: 1) a sidekick who is as good as the sidekick can get at our level, 2) the highest charisma he can manage while maintaining the following, and 3) a max-power continuous emotion control that makes everyone think he's awesome. His stats other than charisma suck, he has no defenses or toughness bonus, and he has no attack abilities. The emotion control is even limited to only being able to make people think he's awesome. He intends to go around roleplaying stupid until a fight breaks out and he gets taken out in one shot, then playing his sidekick instead.
    I'm not that serious a roleplayer, but there is no reason for that character to be with us. He should just be playing his sidekick, and I'm kind of hoping that early on he gets hit by someone doing lethal damage and botches his save...
    But if he makes everybody think he's super awesome, won't they just fall down and worship him? Sounds more like a villain to me.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't see how you can get anything done, when all you do is flip a coin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm probably the Loonie for my group. I used to be GM, and now I'm taking this opportunity to relax and unwind and have fun messing with my friend who's running the game.

Currently, I'm playing an Orc Thief in Earthdawn. In the Earthdawn setting, there is no such spell as 'polymorph', no such ability as 'wild shape', and basically no way at all to shapeshift. But the GM, in his infinite wisdom, gave the party a staff that allows whoever is using it to shapeshift when they use a particular power (Disguise self). A power I happen to have. So I get the staff. And since then, I haven't returned to my original shape, except for those times when I've tried to do something really stupid, was rendered unconscious, and ended up back in Orc form.

By really stupid, I mean attempting to turn into one of the cursed 'blood elves' who have thorn elementals magically bound to their skeletons so that spikes are constantly growing out of their bodies, causing them continuous excrucating pain (and therefore offering them virtual immunity from the pain penalties caused by paltry things like damage). Well, I turned into one. But I hadn't been living with that pain for the last hundred and fifty years, so, ouch.

And attempting to turn myself into a dragon. After meeting one for the first time (I have to meet a critter before I can turn into it). While still in the presence of said dragon. During delicate negotiations for our lives.

Yeah, I think I'm pretty well into loon territory with this character.
    Last edited by kestrel404; 2010-08-26 at 07:07 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel404 View Post
    Yeah, I think I'm pretty well into loon territory with this character.
    I dunno about that, what's your thief's wisdom like? That may be perfectly in character.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    But if he makes everybody think he's super awesome, won't they just fall down and worship him? Sounds more like a villain to me.
    I suppose that may be a fair point. I doubt the DM will go that direction, but it's worth remembering. We're only starting this week though, so I can't be sure this will turn out poorly. All I can do right now is bring my will save up high enough to resist him and hope he doesn't actually play his low, low intelligence score.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reis Tahlen View Post
    I regularly play a Loonie, with two rules: never kill the mood, and never kill the game.

My current character is a Goblin Spirit Shaman, Ratgash, the "Cutest Goblin in the World". He is overly kind and polite; Carebears look like psycho next to him. He always worries about the well-being of his group, and place healthy communication above violence. He loves flowers, and animals, and people, and... and... everything! He asks the Necro Priest if "he had nice dreams and slept well", he worries the barbarian's lunch is hot and delicious enough, and so on...

GM: A sudden, freezing wind blows...
    Ratgash: <To the near NSFW Sorceress> Oh my, you'll catch sneezing-nose! Here, take ma blanket, you'll be warm!
    NSFW Sorceress: Errr... No, thanks. But it is cute of you.
    Ratgash: My mommy sez I'm the cutestest goblin!
    That sounds so awesome! I wish there were people like you in my group .