New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Item of Ability +1 (3.5)

According to the rules for creating magic items, an item that boosts an ability score costs (bonus)^2*1000 gp. Technically, this means you can get, for example, Gloves of Dexterity +1 for 1000 gp.

Really, you would only buy such an item if you had an odd-numbered ability score, because it would boost your bonus by one. In effect, you'd be gaining the benefit of the usual +2 item for 1/4 the cost.

Has anyone had experience using such items in-game? Is it way too cheap for the benefit, and does it lead to any gross min/maxing concerns?
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Item of Ability +1 (3.5)

Items that grant odd ability score bonuses aren't allowed, so no, nobody has experienced it.

There's a reason they don't put them in the books - an odd ability score bonus is totally unbalanced.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Items that grant odd ability score bonuses aren't allowed
    Is this actually explicitly stated, or is this just what we would assume from what's available?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

A +1 ability item is either as useful as a +2 item, or pretty much useless. Hard to come up with a reasonable value given that.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

My wizard character has one. Hes lvl 5 and had a 21 INT after the first point boost. I asked my DM if I could buy a circlet of INT +1 and he had no problem with it. Cant remember how much I paid for it exactly but it was half of a normal +2 item. If you think about it, your gonna end up spending more money anyways because when you get the next boost your gonna swap that +1 item for a +2. You wont get as much gold selling the +1 item back as you spent on it. And as far as being unbalanced, I would say no. Your only getting a plus +1 bonus to whatever stat the item is for. It just depends on your DM
    "Its like a one-eyed cyclops!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

I wouldn't really call it "totally unbalanced"; it's just unusual. What I do for players that deliberately ask for one is make it an 'unusual body slot' item, and overcharge them for that. So, Goggles of +1 int for 1250gp.
    "Hex grids are the way forward! And slighty to the side..." - Studoku

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IdleMuse View Post
    I wouldn't really call it "totally unbalanced"; it's just unusual. What I do for players that deliberately ask for one is make it an 'unusual body slot' item, and overcharge them for that. So, Goggles of +1 int for 1250gp.
    All right, that is hilarious!

Yeah, I can't see how it's "totally unbalanced" but I can see how it would lead to certain mechanical decisions. You can, after all, get +1 Tomes, so there is some precedent for odd numbers.

Maybe upping the relative cost would be a fair way to do it. Instead of using the formula, maybe put them at the halfway points. +1 for 2000, +3 for 10000, etc.

8. - Top - End - #8

Items that grant odd ability score bonuses aren't allowed, so no, nobody has experienced it.
    HOLD IT! Actually, I have experienced it! A GM I've played under had a habit of giving out +1 and +3 stat items. Our method of dealing with them were to check if anyone has an odd stat to boost and afterwards to sell off.

I can't comment on the balance of that game, though, because we had way, way too much loot for our level.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

tomes of odd numbered stats exist becausse when you use a wish to increase a stat it's +1-+5. books are wishes not enchancement bonuses

but yeah there is no raw in 3.5 for enhance bonus items to be in multiples of 2
    Join the bard defense league

10. - Top - End - #10

OldWizardGuy

I'm pretty sure Neverwinter Night 2 had +1 items.

(cue verbal beating)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Items that grant odd ability score bonuses aren't allowed,
    That is not a correct way of putting it.

Items that grant odd ability score bonuses are allowed only with DM approval. The tools exist for creating custom magic items, but these aren't available by default; they are available pending DM approval.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

I remember reading a WotC article on this back in 3.0. They specifically didn't allow ability boosts of +1 because it led to the weird situation of having a guy with an even-numbered ability score put the thing on and get no benefit.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

A +1 item wouldn't be completely useless, even for an even-scored person. For strength, you'd get a slight bump in carrying capacity. For dex, you'd have a (barely) better chance to win on initiative. For casting stats, you'd be able to cast one spell level higher (if you aren't already maxed out). For any of the others, you'd be ever-so-slightly less affected by ability damage.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2010-08-26 at 02:22 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

The only stat that gains anything from an odd score is Strength, due to carrying capacity. No other stat in the game is affected this way. All other odd scores are effectively rounded down for the purpose of the bonus that stat grants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the exception is ability damage.

And of course, as you do get ability boosts every four levels, the same situation comes up. It's an artifact of the way in which the modifiers work. Kinda odd.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    The only stat that gains anything from an odd score is Strength, due to carrying capacity. No other stat in the game is affected this way. All other odd scores are effectively rounded down for the purpose of the bonus that stat grants.
    Well, Telonius mentioned a few other cases. Ties in initiative are resolved by your total initiative modifier, which is usually just dex (unless someone has Improved Initiative). Casting stats benefit (by way of being able to cast spells of level = stat-10). But that's about it.

Edit: Thought of one more, for constitution: the amount of time you can run (1 round per point) or hold your breath (2 rounds per point) before you have to make checks.
    Last edited by prufock; 2010-08-26 at 04:59 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, there's always the roleplaying aspect of having a slightly higher score as well. Wouldn't a fighter love to boost his strength just that tiny bit extra, or a wizard love to be a tad smarter?
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

In addition, feats have odd-numbered prerequisites.

And everyone forgets about that wizard with the 18 Int and headband of intellect +2 reaching a level divisible by four and bumping his Int up. Now, his score is odd again. Suddenly, a +3 for a boost to his Int modifier without having to spend for a whole +4 doesn’t seem as silly.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.