New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default How would you Stat Yourself?

This is a serious take on 'real life abstractly mimics D&D'.

Anyway, here's me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: How would you Stat Yourself?

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    level 11
    Human, Programmer, Video Game Programmer
    Background: Occupation - Entertainer (+2 to History)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 11, Con 18, Dex 16, Int 11, Wis 20, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 15, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 8.

AC: 18 Fort: 21 Reflex: 21 Will: 22
    HP: 18 Surges: 4 Surge Value: 4

TRAINED SKILLS
    Perception +18, Endurance +14, Diplomacy +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +8, Arcana +5, Bluff +4, Dungeoneering +10, Heal +10, History +7, Insight +10, Intimidate +4, Nature +10, Religion +5, Stealth +8, Streetwise +4, Thievery +8, Athletics +5

FEATS
    Human: Human Perseverance
    Level 1: Combat Reflexes
    Level 2: Steady Feet
    Level 4: Armor Proficiency (Cloth)
    Level 6: Skill Focus (Perception)
    Level 8: Paragon Defenses
    Level 10: Lightning Reflexes
    Level 11: Fleet-Footed

POWERS

ITEMS
    Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing)
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Programmer is a Wis/Int class. At Lvl 12 I select a specialization in my Paragon Path, and I'm nearly there. I'm gonna pick "Artificial Intelligence Video Game Programmer".

I have a tendency not to get sick, and tend to heal quickly, hence the Con, Endurance & Human Perserverence.

My senses are all exceptional hence the Perception and Focus: Perception.

I've got very good reflexes and can block a lot of poke attacks in a short time with them, hence the Lightning Reflexes and Dex.

My normal walking speed is faster than average, therefore Fleet-Footed & Steady Feet.

I do a lot of what I do based on intuition, rather than anything learned, combined with my senses = High Wis.

I have great luck, which I put as Paragon Defenses.

While I'm not very Charismatic, people and animals I meet offline tend to like me, so trained in Diplomacy, with about the same in Nature.

I have a lot of trouble lying or being intimidating or whatnot, hence the dumped Cha.

Only problem here: Insight should be MUCH lower.
    Last edited by Thajocoth; 2010-09-11 at 12:05 AM.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hmm, 3.5 stats for me... To save overthinking it, I'll just take a 25-point buy. (I was going to use the elite array for even less overthinking, but I need to make both Con and Cha substandard. *shrug* And my ego won't let me use the non-elite array and take a 13 Int. )

LG Human Expert 3
    Class skills include multiple Knowledges
    Str 10
    Dex 11
    Con 8
    Int 17
    Wis 14
    Cha 9

What class(es) would I be if I were a PC in a D&D game? I'd like to think wizard (in fact, possibly a wizard/cleric/mystic theurge -- one of those "race/class" quiz things once gave me that), though I'd dream of being a paladin, but I'd much more likely be a factotum.
    Last edited by Peregrine; 2010-09-11 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Added alignment
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

This is probably skewed to be a bit high, but hey, I'm pretty awesome.

PL1 22 Points
    Str 8, Dex 8, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 10 (-2-2+2+6+4 = 10)
    ATK +0 (Traded off both atk and defense for higher skill max )
    DEF +0
    Toughness +0
    Will +2 (2 Points)
    Fort +0
    Ref +0
    Skills (32 ranks, 8 points)
    -Computers 8
    -Concentration 5
    -Knowledge (Technology) 8
    -Knowledge (Physical Sciences) 5
    -Knowledge (Popular Culture) 4
    -Survival 2
    Feat: Skill Mastery (1 point) - Computers, Knowledge (Technology), Concentration, Knowledge (Physical Sciences)
    Powers: Quickness (Mental) 2. (1 point)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Does D20 Modern have an NPC class system, or just heroic classes?

If so I'd be the D20 modern equivalent of an Expert I'd guess. I'm not sure I'd be a Smart... maybe a Smart with Savant? I'd have low Wisdom and very low Charisma and a few Flaws, due to the Autism Spectrum Disorder.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2010-09-11 at 01:47 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dream Scores: All 20.

Reality Scores:
    Str: 11 (By player Handbook rules)
    Dex: 14. Always had insane reflexes and can bend greatly, even with my horrid hip.
    Con: 12. Rarely get sick. Fast Healer. Would be higher, but do get winded.
    Int: 10 Eh. Average intelligence.
    Wis: 15. Been told repeatedly that I have incredible senses, both in people and in the real world.
    Cha: 12: I'm nice for the most part. People like me at times. Pretty ugly to look at. Low self esteem hurts me the most.

Elf ranger went a scoutin' and found a half-dragon ogre with a greataxe. I soon had a half-elf. ~ Pelfaid's first character death.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    Hmm, 3.5 stats for me... To save overthinking it, I'll just take a 25-point buy. (I was going to use the elite array for even less overthinking, but I need to make both Con and Cha substandard. *shrug* And my ego won't let me use the non-elite array and take a 13 Int. )

Human expert 3
    Class skills include multiple Knowledges
    Str 10
    Dex 11
    Con 8
    Int 17
    Wis 14
    Cha 9

What class(es) would I be if I were a PC in a D&D game? I'd like to think wizard (in fact, possibly a wizard/cleric/mystic theurge -- one of those "race/class" quiz things once gave me that), though I'd dream of being a paladin, but I'd much more likely be a factotum.
    As (I think) I already explained, this is a realistic assertation.

You can't be a level 11 wizard if you can't cast spells. Heck you can't even be a level 3 expert if a single dagger stab could mortally wound you.

That's why I'm a level 1 commoner.

Yes, the world is hard and PCs try very hard to become what they are - that's why they're dubbed heroes.

Cha: 12: I'm nice for the most part. People like me at times. Pretty ugly to look at. Low self esteem hurts me the most.
    Attractiveness, self esteem and how nice you are are all personality traits - nothing to do with charisma.

Charisma is a supernatural trait. If you find that people seem to generally listen to you despite the way to assert yourself, then that could be higher charisma. If people think your mean when you are just trying to come off as confident - that could be low charisma. If you have great social instincts (as in, 'now it's getting awkward for the other person', 'this is a moment worth laughing at', 'I should behave this way to appear more human', 'I must behave this way to seem more interesting and not just stupid', etc.), that could reflect better charisma. Just examples.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-09-11 at 02:11 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Have you ever heard that 92% of drivers think they're above average at driving? Unlike most statistics, that one's not made up. Just saying that it's really hard to stat yourself, cause you'd never make yourself below average in anything. Having said that, here's me very conservatively statting myself (otherwise I'd probably have a +3 boost in all stats):

Str 12 - Tall guy, actually spend some time at the gym.
    Dex 12 - I want to put at least 15 here, but I'm only a little faster than most people, and my reflexes are good but not amazing.
    Con 12 - I see a pattern. I have more endurance than most of my friends, but endurance might be tied to Strength too... I definitely don't get sick easily though.
    Int 15 - 2nd-year Engineering, near the top of my class. Still not arrogant enough to put anything higher here.
    Wis 8 - Memory and common sense sometimes fail me. Not great at understanding people's motivations.
    Cha 13 - My personality is forceful, which is pretty much the definition of Charisma. Sometimes, it's too forceful though, so I'm not super amazing at convincing people.

Edit: Hey! I'm 25-point buy! Most of my characters are around 50-point buy, though... which shows just how superhuman most of them are.
    Last edited by Wonton; 2010-09-11 at 02:10 AM.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Just saying that it's really hard to stat yourself, cause you'd never make yourself below average in anything.
    No, it's a thought experiment.

And mainly people tend to think they're good at something when they devote most of their time into it. Really, it's all a product of ego, which penetrates deeply into influencing human thought.

Having said that, here's me very conservatively statting myself (otherwise I'd probably have a +3 boost in all stats):
    Ego perpetuates deeper than 'having or not having one'. Hence, what I'm saying is, ego could still cause you to think that your stats are reasonable even if they aren't despite the fact that you made all effort to make them reasonable (hence, ego has even greater influence when you think you did all you could to make something sound reasonable).

My personality is forceful, which is pretty much the definition of Charisma. Sometimes, it's too forceful though, so I'm not super amazing at convincing people.
    Do people often listen to you though? Do they think you're cool or intelligent sounding, etc.?

People hardly ever listen to what I have to say unless they make a careful effort - hence my charisma is pretty damn low. Probably even a 6 or so. :P

Though when I enunciate my words, they do react more often.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-09-11 at 02:16 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd stat myself as an level 1 expert with 10 in every stat. At best I'd give myself a 12 in Strength, and Con, and a 13 Int. But I feel awkward doing so.

I assume 10s until I have evidence otherwise.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Malificus View Post
    I assume 10s until I have evidence otherwise.
    That's a good method - but then again, what makes you think you are skilled enough to warrant requiring expert to represent all of your skills?

I'm not sure I'd be a Smart
    Smarts have way more skills than experts. -_-

Con: 12. Rarely get sick. Fast Healer. Would be higher, but do get winded.
    I think Con could also reflect metabolism. So, do you build muscle quickly when exercising? Can you build up good cardio quickly, etc.

I'd have low Wisdom and very low Charisma and a few Flaws, due to the Autism Spectrum Disorder.
    ASD could probably just be covered by one flaw. I mean, it can give great advantages to wisdom and intelligence sometimes (everyone is different though) and it only really disadvantages a few things in regards to adventuring.

Just some distinct social disadvantages - people find it harder to empathize with you, you have difficulty getting a point across, you might take a -4 penalty to social related skills (but not necessarily charisma) and guessing at what others are thinking (minor sense motive penalty).

Most of my characters are around 50-point buy, though
    Why does your GM allow characters with max in three ability scores?

Heck, even one is pushing it.

For the record:

- 12 point buy = Average

- Up to 24 point buy = Exceptional
    - 28 point buy and higher = Heroic
    - 32 point buy = Distinct Heroic
    - Anything above that is probably supernatural (I've never met any one in real life or even know any historical figures with scores above 32 point buy; heck my scores alone mean I could accomplish something very significant if I try hard enough)
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-09-11 at 02:28 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Str-15 I spend a lot of time in the gym, 4 times a week. But i'm kinda short so i cant get that strong. But i can lift 140 above my head and bench 150+.
    Dex-10(or 8) I run pretty fast, but i have a terrible sense of balance and flexibility.
    Con- 12 or 13 I think i got sick like once this year. I injure myself a lot, but it heals decently fast. And although i don't run fast, i jog for 1.5 miles easily.
    Int- 12 I'm no smart cookie, but i'm in IB courses and have skipped one grade.
    Wisdom- 10 I'm ofter narrow minded, stubborn. I don't think i qualify in the slightest as wise or perceptive.
    Cha- 11 My personality comes out as very strong(?) happy child, but sometimes as a very pessimistic glum one. I wouldn't say i'm much of an extrovert but i would be on that side of the scale.

I'd be a Strong Hero if i was a D20 modern character.
    Or just a Fighter if i was a D&D character, or i'd want to be. I'd probably end up as a commoner.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Str-15 I spend a lot of time in the gym, 4 times a week. But i'm kinda short so i cant get that strong. But i can lift 140 above my head and bench 150+.
    150+ is average, no offense. If you can bench at least 200 that's probably 11-13.

Me, I bench roughly 200+ (I haven't touched upon 300), but I'm probably afraid to lift 100 or higher over my head. :P

And yes being short (or a midget) is a disadvantage. :P D&D is unforgiving.

I'm no smart cookie, but i'm in IB courses and have skipped one grade.
    I'd say that anyone with average Int or higher can get straight As if they study like mad (as any 'ideal student' would really).

I've got a high Int, but my grades are fairly average since I've had a reputation of being very lazy. In fact, I don't think I've ever put much effort into schooling and I'm 21. I think I've kinda free loaded on my IQ. >_>

I'm ofter narrow minded, stubborn. I don't think i qualify in the slightest as wise or perceptive.
    Anyone who has devoted a lot of their maturation stages towards self reflection probably has roughly average wisdom. Self reflection is a prerequisite to any amount of wisdom, so those who have never self reflected probably have like 4 wisdom at most (and those who only give it a little thought and then ignorantly reassure themselves may be the same way; or up to 6 Wis at most). :P

Con- 12 or 13 I think i got sick like once this year. I injure myself a lot, but it heals decently fast. And although i don't run fast, i jog for 1.5 miles easily.
    That's probably average, I'd say. Humans were made for physical activity really. That's why we can gain weight quickly in our very soft and forgiving society.

I run pretty fast, but i have a terrible sense of balance and flexibility.
    Explosiveness when running can just as easily be reflected by strength though. Also, anyone can learn to become flexible but I might take them longer to get coordinated or whatever.

I think of dexterity as the 'physical intelligence' that the best athletes tend to demonstrate - also bodily and spacial awareness (somewhat related to co-ordination).

If you have a lot of control over your own mind (wisdom), you can get this way through meditation and incorporation the ability to think ahead into regular physical activity.

Or just a Fighter if i was a D&D character, or i'd want to be. I'd probably end up as a commoner.
    Yah, a fighter would be a major weapon enthusiast in the modern world. They'd know how to take apart many guns and put them back together. The smart ones would dive into military science and put studied tactical knowledge to use.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-09-11 at 02:40 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by imp_fireball View Post
    Why does your GM allow characters with max in three ability scores?
    Usually we roll three full sets of stats and then you choose any one set. For example, for my last character, this yielded 17/16/15/14/13/10. As you can see, no 18s. Rolling a random 50-point set is way less overpowered than just allowing 50-point buy (cause then, like you said, everyone's stats would be 18/18/18/10/8/8, which is absurd).

I'd also like to add this and this. 1st is long, with some annoying questions. 2nd is shorter, and stats better I think. For reference, 1st gave me 13/14/15/14/13/13 and 2nd gave 14/11/11/15/15/11. Either both overestimate Wisdom, or I underestimate my Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayzin View Post
    Lol no offense but I can bench 170 and I put my Strength as 12.

Charisma is a supernatural trait.
    I don't entirely agree with that. Course, this is where the pure separation of D&D stats starts to break down. If I think really hard, instead of just "winging it", I can usually figure out what a person's motivations are and come up with a more appropriate response.
    Last edited by Wonton; 2010-09-11 at 02:47 AM.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

15. - Top - End - #15

As (I think) I already explained, this is a realistic assertation.
    Well, you didn't; you used words like "serious" and "abstractly". But fine, then I'm a level 1 Pedant, and by the way, it's "assertion".

Heck you can't even be a level 3 expert if a single dagger stab could mortally wound you.
    Okay, let's not get into the whole possible melange of "what HP represent"/"what do levels represent"/"why are really good bakers and lawyers hard to kill" questions, and just ask, why are you even using D&D stats (any edition) for this?

I put myself as a level 3 expert because (a) I have enough skills and life experience to figure I would definitely be at least second level, and I decided to be generous, and (b) I have certain assumptions and guidelines on how I, personally, interpret the level system, and the question was how would I stat myself?

Quote Originally Posted by imp_fireball
    Attractiveness, self esteem and how nice you are are all personality traits - nothing to do with charisma.

Charisma is a supernatural trait.
    This... would take a whole other thread to sort out.
    Last edited by Peregrine; 2010-09-11 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Fix minor typo
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

If I think really hard, instead of just "winging it", I can usually figure out what a person's motivations are and come up with a more appropriate response.
    That's why charisma is more than just winging it or thinking really hard.

Well, you didn't; you used word like "serious"
    Serious means you should take this seriously and not say 'I'm a wizard because I wanna be'.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-09-11 at 03:23 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Lol no offense but I can bench 170 and I put my Strength as 12.
    Everyone hail the carrying capacity tables which lets you know exactly what your strength score is.

The qualifier is being able to lift the max weight in the table over your head, I wouldn't go by Bench Press, but rather the Clean and Jerk, which tends to be a bit lower of a number for most people.
    If RPG's have taught me anything, it's that all social and economic problems of the world can be solved through murder.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

I'm still curious -- Does D20 Modern have non heroic classes? Cause I'm no hero...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Ha! My friends and I were actually talking about this last night, including alignments of our past teachers and the classes of our friends. They agreed easily on what classes they would be, but none of them could really figure me out, though they agreed that Int was likely my highest stat and that I had 1 rank in a bunch of Knowledge skills - plus they agreed on my Flaws. From this I concluded that if I were to have levels in a PC class, it's likely Factotum, though of course Expert is more likely.

For added realism and not trying to boast, I'm going to go with point buy (28) here.

Str 11, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 9, Cha 13

Level 1 Factotum

Nearsighted Flaw corrected by glasses
    Absent-minded Flaw (never corrected)

0 ranks in Use Technological Device (can be used untrained and usually require help), Listen (and possibly Search and Spot as well), and Drive (still learning)
    1 rank in Knowledge (arcana (=physics), nature, religion, history, geography, local, psionics (=psychology), the planes (=outer space))
    At least 2 ranks in Swim, Climb, Hide and Gather Information (last one possibly maxed out)
    Maxed out Bluff

Feats? No idea. Adept Learner perhaps, but of a kind that also makes you lose the ranks easily again if you don't use the skill every 6 days, after which you can slowly regain them or put them in another skill in which you have at least 1 point.

Other than that, I don't know.

EDIT: Also, Chaotic Neutral. Also, while talking to my friends I had a big reaction like "wait a minute, I think we're calling our friends Good and our teachers Evil an awful lot..." () But I'm pretty sure I fall in the Chaotic Neutral territory.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2010-09-11 at 04:09 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's a good method - but then again, what makes you think you are skilled enough to warrant requiring expert to represent all of your skills?
    I've finished college. I therefor have more training than a D&D commoner.
    Last edited by Malificus; 2010-09-11 at 04:05 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

A DnD Commoner is moreso a medieval/renaissance farmer anyway. Craftsmen are already Commoners of sorts. These days in the more developed countries that have lots of education, I actually doubt there are a lot of Commoners (though I'm damn sure my grandpa could have the Chicken Infested flaw, cuz maaaaannn...).
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

You have more training in whatever you were learning in college.

I doubt that you have more training in agricultural works, or whatever your 'commoner' is doing.

But then again, D&D is anyway completely sucky at describing real people.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say....

Str: 8
    Con: 10
    Dex: 11-12
    Wis: 14/16/18
    Cha:16/18
    Int: 14/16/18

not really sure, but I am primarily mental stat based. I'd probably be a Psion.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I'm Level 8 Geek. My powers are:

• At will: Recite Generic Trivia
    • At will: Sarcastic Remark
    • Encounter: Craft Forum Post
    • Encounter: Cunning Strategy
    • Encounter: Recite Obscure Trivia
    • Daily: Craft Computer Program
    • Daily: Read Entire Book
    • Utility: Internet Search
    • Utility: Remember Song Lyrics
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Everyone hail the carrying capacity tables which lets you know exactly what your strength score is.

The qualifier is being able to lift the max weight in the table over your head, I wouldn't go by Bench Press, but rather the Clean and Jerk, which tends to be a bit lower of a number for most people.
    The problem with using these tables (and any D&D stat system attempting to reflect reality) is that they are horribly skewed. The current world record for clean and jerk is 580 pounds. Which requires a strength of 23. In D&D terms, assuming no magic and human race, that means the world record holder is a level 18 minimum character. Which we know he isn't. :)

As for my stats, based on the tables available:

Level 2 Expert - Two degrees (one post secondary) and 10 years of professional expertise and experience, while being recognized as an expert in my field by my peers and colleagues.

STR: 14 (I c&j 145 pounds, though I don't think this is accurate at all, as I am below average in strength)

DEX: 10 (I don't fall over much :) but I also don't have any acrobatic ability)

CON: 10 (I don't get too sick when others do, and can run - not flat out though - for 30 minutes without passing out. I cycle 100 kms per week as well)

INT: 14 (two degrees without studying at all)

WIS: 10 (I make dumb ass decisions all the time, and have made some poor life choices in my time. That said, I am quite perceptive, so I think it balances out)

CHA: 14 (When I propose a plan, people follow it. Every job I have had (until I started my current one), I ended up as a supervisor or manager within weeks of starting, and I have always gotten the girl when I tried.)

And I would be willing to bet those are grossly over-inflated.
    Thanks The Neoclassic for my avatar!

Stark Raving Dad - a blog about life.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by theos911 View Post
    Fighter: I can kill a guy in one turn.
    Cleric: I can kill a guy in half a turn.
    Wizard: I can kill a guy before my turn!
    Bard: I can get 12 idiots to go kill guys for me
    Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Oh, and Person-Man's real name is a little something called "SKYNET"

26. - Top - End - #26

Flumph

2nd level Expert
    Str: 8, Dex: 8, Con: 8, Int: 12, Wis: 12, Cha: 8

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    The problem with using these tables (and any D&D stat system attempting to reflect reality) is that they are horribly skewed. The current world record for clean and jerk is 580 pounds. Which requires a strength of 23. In D&D terms, assuming no magic and human race, that means the world record holder is a level 18 minimum character. Which we know he isn't. :)
    Beeep! Wrong! Your discounting all effects equipment, skills, feats and diet could have. We can safely say many high-level bodybuilders effectively benefit from effect Potion of Bull's Strenght, so they'd have, what, d4+1 Str on top of their natural strenght? So a natural 18 would be enough to reach that score. Natural 17 even, as that record holder could easily count as level 4 character in D&D, and thus have raised his strenght once. We might not have magic, but we do have variety of things allowing humans to push their normal limits. A bodybuilder could be anywhere between level 1 and 4.

It doesn't matter if the 3 - 18 range of ability scores isn't be-all-end-all of RL human ability. In both D&D and real life, people are more than just their raw core abilities. Even at level 1, skillpoints can outweigh meaning of an ability score. That the tables are skewed doesn't matter either - if they still give a benchmark to which compare a RL human, we can still stat out that person. Whether 3d6 dice roll accurately reflects distribution of ability among RL populace is irrelevant.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2010-09-11 at 07:23 AM.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Beeep! Wrong! Your discounting all effects equipment, skills, feats and diet could have. We can safely say many high-level bodybuilders effectively benefit from effect Potion of Bull's Strenght, so they'd have, what, d4+1 Str on top of their natural strenght? So a natural 18 would be enough to reach that score. Natural 17 even, as that record holder could easily count as level 4 character in D&D, and thus have raised his strenght once. We might not have magic, but we do have variety of things allowing humans to push their normal limits. A bodybuilder could be anywhere between level 1 and 4.
    Except there is no magic in the real world. The guy who set the record is a human, on this planet. There are no "potions of bull's strength" here. So that logic is flawed.

One could argue that he has a high protein diet, etc, etc, but those have no game mechanics - which demonstrates that the D&D stat system doesn't work for reality. Big surprise there.

And if he was level 4, he could have a 19 strength. That's the human maximum there. 18 to start, +1 at level 4. 19 total. Maximum lift is 350 pounds. Not even close to what a "normal" albeit exceptional human has done in reality. So no, he's either level 18, or the tables don't work. We all know which one makes more sense there.
    Thanks The Neoclassic for my avatar!

Stark Raving Dad - a blog about life.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by theos911 View Post
    Fighter: I can kill a guy in one turn.
    Cleric: I can kill a guy in half a turn.
    Wizard: I can kill a guy before my turn!
    Bard: I can get 12 idiots to go kill guys for me
    Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Oh, and Person-Man's real name is a little something called "SKYNET"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    • Utility: Internet Search
    • Utility: Remember Song Lyrics
    Are those daily, encounter or at-will powers?

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingPirate

here's me:

str10 (i'd say i'm stronger than half the people, but weaker than the other half)
    dex11 (really, i think this should be higher, but the other ones that are higher would then have to be pushed up to 16's, and i'm no superhero.
    con13 (woke up during surgery and watched (deliriously), always need higher dosage for meds..
    int10 (this was higher before college, but good times were had)
    wis12 (generally pretty zen, but i can be a little hotheaded when i strongly disagree with something)
    cha14 (see rest of post)

how attractive you are and whether or not you're personable don't have anything to do with charisma? seems to me these are the main factors in charisma. if you walk up to someone smiling a big happy smile, they are more likely to warm up to you. if your big happy smile is in the middle of an pretty face, even better

Charisma is a supernatural trait. If you find that people seem to generally listen to you despite the way to assert yourself, then that could be higher charisma.
    charisma is SUPERNATURAL? are you being sarcastic? is strength? is intelligence? charisma is a natural thing that every single human being has, and if you're really, really good looking, or a huge A**hole, then yes, this has everything to do with your charisma score. not (and i'm paraphrasing here) 'whether or not people listen to what you say for no apparent reason.'

**full disclosure: i wait tables for a living. and i'm very good. not necessarily super-handsome (though, not bad), but i'm very good with people. don't talk crap about charisma :)
    Last edited by heymejack; 2010-09-11 at 07:54 AM. Reason: forgot to include my stats
    I am revenge. I am the night.