New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default 3.5 i need help with a very specific charactor...

a friend of mine wants to play something akin to montey cook's witch from arcana unearthed in 3.5

by that i mean, she wants a class that can summon a weapon at will, specifically a whip (home brewed whip stats to not suck)

she also wants to be an elf and have magic.

so im looking for a build... not overly complicated as she is a relatively new player please.

were starting at level one so playable from there please, no need for huge optimization.

specifics: stats 30 point buy, any alignment, must have magic weapon summoning ability's, must have magic (we could do psionics i guess, but would prefer magic) must be elven

thanks in advance, o prophets of the playground!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 i need help with a very specific charactor...

It's not MAGIC, magic, but a Psion-X/Pyrokineticist-1 will do what you want. Or, you know, re-flavor the Soulknift... although that one is unlikely to make an effective character without some fairly hefty optimization. Oh, and the Call Weaponry power for the Psychic Warrior would do the job as well.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2010-09-20 at 09:26 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is there a problem with using the witch from Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved? Arcana Evolved is the same setting, cleaned up for 3.5 I believe.

I'm pretty sure the power level is more or less in line with the rest of 3.5 anyway.

It's the magister that's broken.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

well if i remember correctly, arcana unearthed used a different magic system didn't it?

its been a while though, i may be getting confused.

anyway, the books we used then were a friend of mines, we cant use them again unfortunately, so its more a case of not having the materials there.

if i may ask, how was the magister that great? didn't seem too good at the time.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

If you can integrate the Summon Weapon spell from Complete Scoundrel into the build, it will take care of part of the summon-whip part (although the lmited uses of spells/day may be a problem, unless you can Persist it, or get it as an SLA).

Maybe the Witch alt class in the DMG? Maybe Warlock with Eldritch Glaive re-fluffed as a whip?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yeturs View Post
    by that i mean, she wants a class that can summon a weapon at will, specifically a whip (home brewed whip stats to not suck)
    Can't you just give her a whip with something like an at will absorb weapon effect?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yes, you're right, I forgot that witches get spells from AE. However, these are defined as spells per day from levels 1 to 8 spells. You could just let her draw spells drom the Druid spell list. I think that would feel fairly witch-y.

The rest of the class is easily reworked. Wind witches gain DR 10/magic to projectiles, instead of air resistance 20. Etc. It's not perfect, but I think it could be made to work with minimal effort.

If it's a case of not having the books, though, I suppose it can't be helped. Some type of warlock would probably be pretty close.

And I believe the Magister is the only Tier 1 class in AE. A few others are Tier 2, but it basically boils down to a well played Magister being able to do everything everyone else in the party can do, on his own. Plus blasting is a valid tactic again!

...to be fair though, I've never actually played AE. It looked fun though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

i see, didnt take into account the lack of full blown casters in AE.

herm... warlock does sound good.

i had an idea with dread necromancer using charnel touch, but i think warlocks better, thanks alot for your help my dearest playground!

any other ideas, im happy o hear em :P