New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Essentials] Slayer without Strength?

I could be way off on this, but, in comparison to Essentials only classes available thus far, how viable is a slayer fighter with 10 Strength, 14 (16 for halflings) Constitution and 20 Dexterity?

Sure, Power Strike and other abilities are melee only, but mobile blade, letting you move squares equal to your Dexterity modifier if you hit a target, isn't. The benefit that adds your Dexterity modifier to weapon damage isn't either, so you get the advantage of one high score twice.

If you need the melee features as well, you'll need the Melee Training feat. You'll be slightly worse than the standard slayer for melee damage, but slightly more likely to hit in all cases, with the real punch coming from hit and run ranged attacks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Essentials] Slayer without Strength?

Yes, that works fine.

Basically, you can pick any one attribute, take Melee Training for it, and be an effective slayer without requiring strength or dexterity.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm pretty sure a new option for the Essentials Fighter, the Quarterstaff Fighter, is focused somewhat on Dex.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Basically, you can pick any one attribute, take Melee Training for it, and be an effective slayer without requiring strength or dexterity.
    How do you get around the benefits Dexterity gives you to damage, initiative, and ranged accuracy?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shatteredtower View Post
    How do you get around the benefits Dexterity gives you to damage, initiative, and ranged accuracy?
    None of these are required to be an effective fighter. They are nice to have, sure, but not required.

Fighters commonly dump dex anyway, relying on strength and using heavy thrown weapons for accuracy, and possibly taking Imp Initiative. Dumping both str and dex is rather silly, but it is definitely viable (albeit unoptimized).
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I see how that can work, though Melee Training is like having a Strength score 4-6 points lower in terms of damage already. Still, hitting more consistently does make up the difference much of the time.

Staff fighter, WitchSlayer? I'm curious to see if it exploits the extra reach Staff Expertise gives you.