New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Reverse Gravity Question

The spell itself says that when you cast it, anyone who fails their reflex save is sent upwards to the limit of the room. What happens if you cast it outside? Did they just reach the stratosphere or launched into outer space?

If they are that high, what then? The spell is 1/round per level but how long would it take them to start suffocating? Or risk damage from exposure? And when the spell ends, how long does it take them to get back down to ground? 1 round or just normal falling damage? That could take minutes. Also, what happens if I hold a spear in the anti-gravity tunnel and let go? Did I just rail-gun whoever is up there since I just sent an item from the ground to near outer space in the span of 6 seconds? Peasant Rail-gun just got beat by my gravity cannon I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post

DM says: WHY!? WHY!? WHY?!
    DM means: NO! NO! NO!!!
    Player hears: GOOD JOB PLAYER! DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN!

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Reverse Gravity Question

I think that spell description is pretty clear:

If an object or creature reaches the top of the area without striking anything, it remains there, oscillating slightly, until the spell ends. At the end of the spell duration, affected objects and creatures fall downward.
    So anything caught in it falls up for 10*[your caster level/2]/[base of the cuboid]ft.
    Last edited by Kaww; 2010-09-22 at 01:01 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

ClericGuy

how do you get that equation?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse Gravity
    Area: Up to one 10-ft. cube per two levels (S)
    (S) Shapeable

If an Area or Effect entry ends with "(S)," you can shape the spell. A shaped effect or area can have no dimension smaller than 10 feet. Many effects or areas are given as cubes to make it easy to model irregular shapes.
    The maximum height you can make with Reverse Gravity is if you stack all of the cubes vertically. So if your caster level is 17, you can stack 17/2 = 8 cubes. That's a total of 80', in 8 10' cubes.

5. - Top - End - #5

ClericGuy

Ooooooh. I had always read it as in that particular area, gravity went upward, like just a flat square on the ground. Never really clicked with the "Cubes" part. Okay, then this spell is a lot less powerful than I originally thought, but still fun

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yeah, it's confusing that they use "Area" when they're really referring to volumes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

For offensive use, Reverse Grav is best used indoors. Smash them against the ceiling, then dismiss. (Glabrezu can do this forever, having At-Will Reverse Gravity.)

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by jguy View Post
    Ooooooh. I had always read it as in that particular area, gravity went upward, like just a flat square on the ground. Never really clicked with the "Cubes" part. Okay, then this spell is a lot less powerful than I originally thought, but still fun
    The 2E version of the spell was like this. Great fun.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Now, if you DO manage to send people to space, spelljammer does have rules for exposure to space.

Actually, Elder Evils does too, in the Atropheus(sp?) section, but they're remarkably harsh.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    For offensive use, Reverse Grav is best used indoors. Smash them against the ceiling, then dismiss. (Glabrezu can do this forever, having At-Will Reverse Gravity.)
    I don't know. Casting it outdoors and leaving an enemy without flight bobbing helplessly in midair for your spells and arrows is pretty nifty too.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    I don't know. Casting it outdoors and leaving an enemy without flight bobbing helplessly in midair for your spells and arrows is pretty nifty too.
    Who says they're helpless? They can use spells and arrows, too!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Ideally you don't use reverse gravity against those sorts of enemies.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Casting it outdoors and leaving an enemy without flight bobbing helplessly in midair for your spells and arrows is pretty nifty too.
    One of the main reason I was extremely disappointed that Levitate was made into a "friendlies-only" spell (either from 3.0 to 3.5 or 2nd Edition to 3.0).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

They can actually move---and even move out of the square, as far as I can tell. (They fall, though)

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Now, if you DO manage to send people to space, spelljammer does have rules for exposure to space.

Actually, Elder Evils does too, in the Atropheus(sp?) section, but they're remarkably harsh.
    To be fair, hard vacuum will kill you pretty quick. And with some gross things going on, too.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Yeah, it's confusing that they use "Area" when they're really referring to volumes.
    It's not that much worse than "ranged touch attacks." It took me months to get comfortable with that particular bit of nomenclature. It's just another entry in the endless litany of times when specific game definitions stop matching their original referent.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Dice View Post
    To be fair, hard vacuum will kill you pretty quick. And with some gross things going on, too.
    I believe that the thing that'll kill you first in vacuum is suffocation, which is a minute or two. Pressure hurts, but all you get is a bad case of the bends. Heat and cold can't move through a lack of stuff well, so suddenly burning or freezing, not gonna happen anytime soon. Provided you can cast teleport without verbal components, and you don't look straight at the sun, you'll be ok.
    I don't know what the actual statistics are, but that's what I know about vacuum.

You talk about "area=volume" giving you confusion. Meanwhile, there are two words that give my inner physicist an aneurysm:
    "Acid energy"

Is there a spell for sideways gravity?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordChucks View Post
    The most unpleasant plane is the one filled with snakes and Samuel L. Jackson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    You kill people by teleporting their brain...into your hand. That's about as badass as it gets, and should come with a free +30 on all Intimidate checks made...ever.

No gods. No kings. Only PCs. Ceteris paribus.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zhalath View Post
    Meanwhile, there are two words that give my inner physicist an aneurysm:
    "Acid energy"
    "Cold energy" (i.e. the lack of energy being an energy type) doesn't come in at # 1?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post

epic level handbook in the description for nailed to the sky spell as well.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    They can actually move---and even move out of the square, as far as I can tell. (They fall, though)
    I don't think you can walk without a floor.

I believe that the thing that'll kill you first in vacuum is suffocation, which is a minute or two. Pressure hurts, but all you get is a bad case of the bends.
    I dunno -14.7 psi seems like a lot. The moisture on your skin and lungs boils rapidly, as you are unable to hold your moth closed. I'll have to look it up to be sure, but my vote is for instant explosive death by pressure. EDIT: Drat, Discovery says it's 2 minutes of suffocation. But in fairness your eyes, tongue and nose instantly boil.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-09-22 at 10:08 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

21. - Top - End - #21

Is there a spell for sideways gravity?
    I want to know this one too...I'd use it as a fly spell

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Depending on your dm, you may be able to orient your spells as you wish. Put the base of your Reverse Gravity on a wall. Again this is DM dependent, but I can't think of anything in the rules to contradict this notion.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Depending on your dm, you may be able to orient your spells as you wish. Put the base of your Reverse Gravity on a wall. Again this is DM dependent, but I can't think of anything in the rules to contradict this notion.
    Perhaps you should read the spell more carefully.
    This spell reverses gravity in an area, causing all unattached objects and creatures within that area to fall upward and reach the top of the area in 1 round.
    Reverse is never rotate 90 degress.
    Sideways is never upward.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

I believe that the thing that'll kill you first in vacuum is suffocation, which is a minute or two. Pressure hurts, but all you get is a bad case of the bends. Heat and cold can't move through a lack of stuff well, so suddenly burning or freezing, not gonna happen anytime soon. Provided you can cast teleport without verbal components, and you don't look straight at the sun, you'll be ok.
    I don't know what the actual statistics are, but that's what I know about vacuum.
    /derail

There's an article on expsosure to space here. There's some pretty nasty symptoms going on there, with suffocation being the least of your worries.

Still, in D&D terms, a character could probably survive anywhere from 2 turns at the ultra hard SF end of the scale all the way to about 15 turns at the don'y sweat the details end of things.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    I don't think you can walk without a floor.
    I meant if they have a ceiling to stand on upside down.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

in our groups games , space tends to happen as a result of miscast teleports...